In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

Training Day 29: 4 Mile Walk/Run

This was originally going to be a 5K, but I decided to do a little extra. 4.05 miles in 1h1m29s. I did pause when I hit 5K, and my time was 46m15s. It was 73° out, with 84% humidity, so I’m pretty happy with how I did. I’m definitely ready for some fall weather though.

2021 workout data to date: 126h 53m 34s of exercise; 44,931 active calories burned; 57,497 total calories burned

Training Day 30: Yoga

Nothing new to report, 4 rounds of yoga with 15s poses. I also tried a cardio workout from Yes.Fit as part of a challenge, and aborted it about 5 minutes in. It was too fast-paced and required too much coordination for me (I have issues knowing my right from my left, and can’t string too many different moves together in one exercise).

I think it’s time for another chipmunk introduction! This is Chick, which is short for Chicken because he is considerably more timid than any other chipmunk. He absolutely will not take food from my hand, and won’t even stay on the rock wall when I set the food down on his chosen food rock—he has to hide in the drainpipe or under the hosta.

2021 workout data to date: 128h 3m 17s of exercise; 45,390 active calories burned; 58,060 total calories burned

Training Day 31: 25 Minute Walk/Run

Today’s workout just flat out sucked. I had a stressful evening yesterday, so I got no sleep last night and felt pretty lousy all day today. Shortly after my workout yesterday (actually just when I was posting my training log), my grandma came down and told me that she didn’t want me to go to Universal Orlando for Labor Day weekend due to Florida being, well, Florida. She didn’t come with any alternatives, just “I really don’t want you going. I can’t actually stop you, since you’re a grown up, but I really don’t want you doing it.” So I was sobbing (I’m stressed and need a vacation desperately) and freaking out about all the money I was going to be out because of non-refundable AP and Halloween tickets.

Once I calmed down a little, I messaged the Universal Orlando Twitter account, not expecting an immediate answer at 11:15pm eastern time, but I got a person who told me exceptions could be made on a case-by-case basis and who then proceeded to provide me with an exception 🙌🙌. But I was still losing my vacation. I was texting my mother, and she suggested Disneyland, and I was like “no way, that’s gonna be way more expensive.” But I checked it out, and I can actually save some money by going to DL (my SWA flights to CA ended up being $79 cheaper than my FL flights, so I have credit to use for my Princess Weekend flight 🥳🥳🥳). So now my vacation destination is The Happiest Place on Earth and all is right with the world.

Except that less than 4 hours of sleep, combined with my body’s unpleasant reaction to the stress, made me almost completely incapable of running tonight. I walked nearly the full 25 minutes, only making it 1.55 miles. I also did a 10 minute/.5 mile casual walking warm-up, hoping that it would get my body into exercise mode. No such luck 😕

But tomorrow is another day, I have my first-ever DL trip to look forward to, and I think I’ll be able to sleep tonight.

2021 workout data to date: 128h 38m 38s of exercise; 45,554 active calories burned; 58,292 total calories burned

Shortly after my workout yesterday (actually just when I was posting my training log), my grandma came down and told me that she didn’t want me to go to Universal Orlando for Labor Day weekend due to Florida being, well, Florida. She didn’t come with any alternatives, just “I really don’t want you going. I can’t actually stop you, since you’re a grown up, but I really don’t want you doing it.” So I was sobbing (I’m stressed and need a vacation desperately) and freaking out about all the money I was going to be out because of non-refundable AP and Halloween tickets.

Once I calmed down a little, I messaged the Universal Orlando Twitter account, not expecting an immediate answer at 11:15pm eastern time, but I got a person who told me exceptions could be made on a case-by-case basis and who then proceeded to provide me with an exception 🙌🙌. But I was still losing my vacation. I was texting my mother, and she suggested Disneyland, and I was like “no way, that’s gonna be way more expensive.” But I checked it out, and I can actually save some money by going to DL (my SWA flights to CA ended up being $79 cheaper than my FL flights, so I have credit to use for my Princess Weekend flight 🥳🥳🥳). So now my vacation destination is The Happiest Place on Earth and all is right with the world.
I feel your pain. I just cancelled a trip two weeks ago and I admittedly sobbed as well, for the same exact reason. I'm absolutely in "need a vacation" mode, and I know it was the right decision, but it was hard. I'm so glad you were able to get your money back, and you have an exciting trip to DL to look forward to!

(wow, edit for typos lol)

Last edited:

Training Day 32: 30 Minutes Rowing

1122 strokes in 30m, pretty much on pace with all the other weeks. I’m feeling much better than yesterday (sleeping a full night does wonders 😆😆) Watching Newsies made this workout go pretty fast, the only real sign I was doing it for 30 minutes was the butt fatigue 😳😅

The weather here was bleeping spectacular today, and since tomorrow is supposed to be the same, I’m going to do my 28 minute walk/run outdoors as soon as I get off work. The treadmill is just really not my friend, and I’m going to take advantage of nice weather while I’ve got it.

2021 workout data to date: 129h 8m 42s of exercise; 45,713 active calories burned; 58,506 total calories burned

Training Day 33: 30 Minute Walk/Run

The schedule called for a 28 minute walk/run today, but my watch’s workout app likes multiples of 5, so I rounded up to 30. I did a ~10 minute warm up walk (.54 miles), then the 30 minute walk/run for 1.92 miles, and then a cooldown walk back to my car for ~11 minutes (.57 miles).

It was pretty nice out, but I should’ve gone west instead of east on the Luce Line, west is shady, east is not. This isn’t a big deal in the mornings, but at 3 in the afternoon, it’s an important thing to remember. I’ve been paying attention to advice being given to other new runners on these boards and I tried to slow down/shorten my running portions to keep my breathing under control. It feels weird, like I’m running in slow motion, 😆 but I could breath, and I think I was able to go faster during the walking portions. We’ll see how it works for my longer run on Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday, the weather forecast looks lovely!

2021 workout data to date: 130h 0m 40s of exercise; 46,015 active calories burned; 58,901 total calories burned

Training Day 34: Yoga

Nothing new about the yoga workout. It’s a nice way to start and end the work week. The weather is still looking good for my run tomorrow morning, I’m planning on 5 miles. I downloaded a super basic interval app because I think I need more structure on my long runs than “I’m going to go X miles without killing myself” 😆

In more interesting news, I finally got around to hanging up my medals from the Superman 5K and Justice League challenge (I had them before I finished the run, but I couldn’t hang up a medal I hadn’t earned). I’m going to have to rearrange all the medals at some point, but it’s good for now.

2021 workout data to date: 131h 4m 40s of exercise; 46,450 active calories burned; 59,428 total calories burned

Training Day 34: Yoga

Nothing new about the yoga workout. It’s a nice way to start and end the work week. The weather is still looking good for my run tomorrow morning, I’m planning on 5 miles. I downloaded a super basic interval app because I think I need more structure on my long runs than “I’m going to go X miles without killing myself” 😆

In more interesting news, I finally got around to hanging up my medals from the Superman 5K and Justice League challenge (I had them before I finished the run, but I couldn’t hang up a medal I hadn’t earned). I’m going to have to rearrange all the medals at some point, but it’s good for now.

View attachment 597028Those are some really cool medals! All of them are interesting!

2021 workout data to date: 131h 4m 40s of exercise; 46,450 active calories burned; 59,428 total calories burned

Training Day 35: 5 Mile Walk/Run

It was a beautiful morning and my run went pretty well. Except the interval app I downloaded to my phone doesn’t measure distance at the same rate as my watch, and since I’ve been using my watch to measure everything until now, I want to stay consistent. So I found an even more basic app that will just keep repeating the intervals until I tell it to stop.

I’m not sure what happened on Mile 2, I think I forgot I was supposed to be training, not just out for a walk in the woods 😆😆

2021 workout data to date: 132h 40m 26s of exercise; 47,108 active calories burned; 60,258 total calories burned

Training Day 36: 40 Minutes Stationary Bike

It’s the start of the final week of my training plan! I did 10.48 miles on the bike today, which is pretty much on typical pace. 40 minutes is too long though. I think 30 will be the max in future plans. I also think I might introduce intervals into my biking, just to switch it up a bit and get more of a workout.

The rest of this week is going to maybe get weird, I’ve got family coming in from out of town tomorrow afternoon. I’m going to do my best to keep the schedule, but Wednesday will need a substitute workout because the exercise room has transformed back into a guest room, so no rowing. 😡😡

2021 workout data to date: 133h 20m 28s of exercise; 47,299 active calories burned; 60,521 total calories burned

Training Day 37: Yoga

I only managed 1 round of yoga today. It was my grandma’s birthday, and out out-of-town guests ended up being late, and there was some other drama, so dinner ended up being late, and then dessert (cake and ice cream) ended up being late, and trying to do yoga with that much food sloshing around was not going well.

Getting up early to buy a ticket for a Very Merriest AH event for my December trip, and if it goes quickly, I’m going to go out and do my run before work tomorrow, since there’s no point in trying to go back to sleep.

2021 workout data to date: 133h 37m 32s of exercise; 47,409 active calories burned; 60,662 total calories burned

Training Day 38: 30 Minute Walk/Run

Got up before sunrise, hopped online and snagged my Very Merriest ticket (thank you for functioning smoothly for a change, Disney IT 🥳) Then I rolled out of bed, got dressed and drove to the Luce Line for a very good run. I wasn’t sure how it would go, because I was tired and still a bit full from all the food last night, but it turned out great. After a quarter mile warm-up walk, I used my ultra basic, just-chime-when-it’s-time-to-change-the-pace interval timer and just did it.

2021 workout data to date: 134h 21m 5s of exercise; 47,680 active calories burned; 61,012 total calories burned

Training Day 39: 35 Minutes Rowing Dumbbell Workout

I will be so happy to get my space back tomorrow! All of our house guests share my (normally private) bathroom and these guests are particular slobs! My entire counter is covered in stuff. 😡😡 Also, there’s entirely too much eating happening (and it’s happening at all the wrong times) and it is very bad for my dieting.

Anyway—since my rower is trapped in a guest room, I did a 24 minute easy dumbbell workout.

2021 workout data to date: 134h 44m 33s of exercise; 47,862 active calories burned; 61,237 total calories burned

Training Day 39: 35 Minutes Rowing Dumbbell Workout

I will be so happy to get my space back tomorrow! All of our house guests share my (normally private) bathroom and these guests are particular slobs! My entire counter is covered in stuff. 😡😡 Also, there’s entirely too much eating happening (and it’s happening at all the wrong times) and it is very bad for my dieting.

Anyway—since my rower is trapped in a guest room, I did a 24 minute easy dumbbell workout.

2021 workout data to date: 134h 44m 33s of exercise; 47,862 active calories burned; 61,237 total calories burned

Apparently none of your guests are runners who visit Disboards! :rotfl2:

Training Day 40: 30 Minute Walk/Run

Well, the guests are gone and I got my exercise room put back together. Unfortunately, my legs didn’t really want to cooperate for the scheduled 30 minutes on the treadmill. I managed to finish the workout, but had to walk slowly for most of the last 8 minutes. 1.67 miles in 30m2s, for an 18m pace 😵‍💫😵‍💫 Saturday should be better, and good practice for in-person runDisney events. I’m doing a virtual 10K, going home to shower and eat, and then going to the local amusement park with my cousin and one of his kids. I felt perfectly fine after my 5 miles last weekend, so I’m assuming (hoping) that adding another mile won’t make a significant difference.

2021 workout data to date: 135h 20m 14s of exercise; 48,058 active calories burned; 61,499 total calories burned

Training Day 41: Yoga

It feels so good to be back to normal! I was able to do my full 4 rounds of yoga tonight and I feel great. I’m psyched to get up and do my virtual 10K in the morning (OK, I’m not psyched to get up early, but I am excited to do the run). On the 5 mile run last Saturday, I got kind of hungry toward the end, so this week I’m going to stash a chocolate bar in the little bag on my water bottle. Something non-melty would be better, but I forgot all about it until about 20 minutes ago and I had to go with what I could find in the house. I’m going to chill the chocolate all night so it might take a bit longer to turn to mush tomorrow.

2021 workout data to date: 136h 24m 14s of exercise; 48,493 active calories burned; 62,030 total calories burned

Training Day 42: 6.2 Mile Walk/Run

Training plan is finished!! I finished my virtual 10K in 1h34m58s which gave me an average pace of 15m19s. Sadly, the shirt I chose to wear had an irritating seam under my left arm, so now I have a rash 😡😡 I need to slow down the running portions and extend the walking portions on these long runs because it was getting hard in mile 4.

I did pause briefly at the halfway point to record my 5K time so I could compare it to my 5K time from before I started training.

Total TimePer Mile Average
5K Time Prior to Training52m 48s17m 2s
5K Time After Training46m 39s15m 3s
Difference6m 9s1m 59s

I won’t be starting a new training plan until after I get home from my Disneyland trip in September, but I’m going to keep working out everyday and doing a few runs each week (except during my trip 😝 I think all the walking will be sufficient to keep my legs in shape)

2021 workout data to date: 138h 20m 26s of exercise; 49,287 active calories burned; 63,034 total calories burned

Break Between Plans: Day 1

Today is my first day post 5K-turned-10K training plan. I’m going to start a half marathon plan (because you all have infected me with the crazy running bug 😉😆), but not until the weekend after I get back from Disneyland. A bit of Googling provided me with a decent 24 week plan designed for couch-to-half. Since I can do a 10K without dying, I’m skipping the first couple easy weeks, and stretching out the later, harder weeks a little. I’m also taking most of a 2 week break in the middle for my Disney World trip, and so I added in an easier week after that to get back in the groove.

In the meantime, I will be continuing daily workouts (except while in DL). Today I did 20 minutes on the stationary bike, and 20 minutes of stretching. I introduced intervals into my biking, 2 minutes of high effort followed by 2 minutes of medium effort. I think I need to go to 2m/1m next time because I didn’t notice any improvement in pace or calories burned from previous workouts.

I added the stretching because, despite all the effort I felt like I was expending (plus the all the sweating), trimming trees didn’t get my move ring very far and I was about 100 calories short of the 600 I needed for the day.

2021 workout data to date: 138h 59m 42s of exercise; 49,495 active calories burned; 63,298 total calories burned

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter