In Defense of Bob Chapek

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problems with Chapek have nothing to do with Covid, the re-opening process, the staffing issues that Disney has had (which a lot of companies have), supply chain issues, or any other operational aspect of the parks. My issues with Chapek have nothing at all to do with Genie+, Disney+, Lightening Lanes, or any other programs that were put into place before he took over, or things he has no control over.

My problems with Chapek have to do with:
* his terrible, horrible, worst possible scenario handling of the Florida law and subsequent actions. Not that what he did was wrong, necessarily - but the way that he handled it was wrong.
* his terrible, horrible, worst possible scenario handling of the negotiations with Scarlet Johansson.
* his terrible, terrible, terrible stage personality.

He presents himself poorly. He represents the company poorly. He does not demonstrate confidence. He does not give me any reason to believe in him. Investing is more than investing in a product. It's often investing in a CEO. He is just not a CEO to invest in. I want a CEO who gives me a vision that I believe in with results that I believe are realistic and achievable and with a goal that I understand, is measurable, and is leading the way into the future. Chapek doesn't give me any of those things.

Yep, that's really it. Iger would have made a lot of the same business moves, but Iger had a way of presenting it in a much better way. He was affable and got along with talent and creatives. He engendered confidence and the company under him did seem to have a vision, even while he was absolutely watching the bottom line. Chapek has none of those qualities, so when he makes similar moves, it comes off cheap and undermining to the company. It's all in the presentation!

My hypothetical was about a cluster identified as “long-term DVC loyals” being unprofitable, not all DVC members or the program as a whole being so. There are undoubtedly a whole lot of ways Disney slices and dices data on DVC folks. I’d never guess the whole program to be unprofitable/lower profit as they continue to invest substantially in it, but I’d bet the proverbial farm there are sub-segments of DVC owners who are unprofitable/lower profit and I’d double down on the farm that Disney knows who they are and probably aren’t quite as concerned about hurting their feelings as perhaps those folks would like them to be.

While Disney has a profile built on every single one of their guests I'm sure (and Club 33 interviews have confirmed) - I'm not sure they profile people into small enough groups like "dvc members that don't spend a lot of money" vs. "dvc members that spend a lot of money". Even if they do, other than for internal purposes - to what end would it impact the guest experience? Do you think they will give you a scarlet letter to wear if you've owned DVC for more than 10 years, so CMs can identify you and be less concerned about their feelings? I'm just not sure how you identify and treat them differently in any way.

Could they profile you and your spending habits and their IT systems take that into account when deciding to give you a room upgrade if one is available? I'm sure they do that, but I don't think they take into account how long you've been a member, at least they wouldn't penalize you for it. And if they did anything like this, I'm sure it is less profiling people into groups and more of a point system where doing "high return" activities nets you more points like other companies do (many do this internally and do not divulge it to the customer, while others are more overt about it like airlines).

However, I'd argue that DVC members as a whole is a small enough group that Disney doesn't seem to be moving to cater to them specifically, rather they've for the most part lumped them in with resort guests. Case in point, we don't really have any specific perks that are different from Annual Passholders or Resort guests. Instead it seems like any discounts that DPEP already created for APs was just carbon copied to DVC members and we get resort guest benefits because we're staying on site when we use our time share.

Beyond perks and discounts I'm not sure what else Disney would or could do? I suppose they do have the blue card / white card "class" system for DVC Members, but that doesn't differentiate between "long-term DVC loyals" and new DVC members, in fact long term DVC members are more likely to qualify for Membership Extras (the phrase DVC uses for discounts and perks) than not because if you bought before June 2016 they grandfathered everyone into Membership Extras while after that point only members buying direct from Disney get the perks (if you buy a resale contract you don't get the perks).

And while I'm sure there certainly are DVC members that don't spend as much as others, the same can probably be said of infrequent guests and even once in a lifetime guests who are on a strict budget, stay offsite and pack PB&J sandwiches in their backpacks for lunch and dinner. The same goes for APs.

From an overall perks perspective, there seems to largely be 3 types of guests that Disney has targeted. Day guests who maybe staying offsite, Resort guests who are staying onsite, and Annual Passholders. I guess a 4th type of guest would be DVC members, but again I'd largely argue they're just considered resort guests (you also have Club 33 members and possibly other smaller niche groups). They haven't so far really further differentiated between guests at a large scale. There are smaller specific discounts and perks here and there that certain groups may have (Chase Disney Visa for example), but it doesn't have a huge impact.

Curious though, you posed the hypothetical question earlier, what do you think Disney should do about the "unprofitable long-term DVC loyals"? If they're deemed unprofitable as you say - how do you differentiate them from other DVC Members, and what would you do? There are a lot of time share laws, so Disney can't do whatever they want. They could I suppose offer to buy out the contracts of unprofitable DVC members to get rid of them as guests.

Disney could certainly introduce a rewards program similar to what the airlines do and overtly demonstrate to customers their desired behaviors to earn a higher status tier along with certain perks for those guests.

In any case - to try to get back on topic - I do see Chapek as being very data driven in terms of his decision making. Using data to help you make decisions isn't a bad thing, but you can also abuse data to make decisions and I don't know if Chapek and his team have used the data appropriately to make decisions - they need to see how it looks from the customer's perspective too but I think the data they're using right now has a goal of leading them to a bottom line figure.

While Disney has a profile built on every single one of their guests I'm sure (and Club 33 interviews have confirmed) - I'm not sure they profile people into small enough groups like "dvc members that don't spend a lot of money" vs. "dvc members that spend a lot of money". Even if they do, other than for internal purposes - to what end would it impact the guest experience? Do you think they will give you a scarlet letter to wear if you've owned DVC for more than 10 years, so CMs can identify you and be less concerned about their feelings? I'm just not sure how you identify and treat them differently in any way.

Could they profile you and your spending habits and their IT systems take that into account when deciding to give you a room upgrade if one is available? I'm sure they do that, but I don't think they take into account how long you've been a member, at least they wouldn't penalize you for it. And if they did anything like this, I'm sure it is less profiling people into groups and more of a point system where doing "high return" activities nets you more points like other companies do (many do this internally and do not divulge it to the customer, while others are more overt about it like airlines).

However, I'd argue that DVC members as a whole is a small enough group that Disney doesn't seem to be moving to cater to them specifically, rather they've for the most part lumped them in with resort guests. Case in point, we don't really have any specific perks that are different from Annual Passholders or Resort guests. Instead it seems like any discounts that DPEP already created for APs was just carbon copied to DVC members and we get resort guest benefits because we're staying on site when we use our time share.

Beyond perks and discounts I'm not sure what else Disney would or could do? I suppose they do have the blue card / white card "class" system for DVC Members, but that doesn't differentiate between "long-term DVC loyals" and new DVC members, in fact long term DVC members are more likely to qualify for Membership Extras (the phrase DVC uses for discounts and perks) than not because if you bought before June 2016 they grandfathered everyone into Membership Extras while after that point only members buying direct from Disney get the perks (if you buy a resale contract you don't get the perks).

And while I'm sure there certainly are DVC members that don't spend as much as others, the same can probably be said of infrequent guests and even once in a lifetime guests who are on a strict budget, stay offsite and pack PB&J sandwiches in their backpacks for lunch and dinner. The same goes for APs.

From an overall perks perspective, there seems to largely be 3 types of guests that Disney has targeted. Day guests who maybe staying offsite, Resort guests who are staying onsite, and Annual Passholders. I guess a 4th type of guest would be DVC members, but again I'd largely argue they're just considered resort guests (you also have Club 33 members and possibly other smaller niche groups). They haven't so far really further differentiated between guests at a large scale. There are smaller specific discounts and perks here and there that certain groups may have (Chase Disney Visa for example), but it doesn't have a huge impact.

Curious though, you posed the hypothetical question earlier, what do you think Disney should do about the "unprofitable long-term DVC loyals"? If they're deemed unprofitable as you say - how do you differentiate them from other DVC Members, and what would you do? There are a lot of time share laws, so Disney can't do whatever they want. They could I suppose offer to buy out the contracts of unprofitable DVC members to get rid of them as guests.

Disney could certainly introduce a rewards program similar to what the airlines do and overtly demonstrate to customers their desired behaviors to earn a higher status tier along with certain perks for those guests.

In any case - to try to get back on topic - I do see Chapek as being very data driven in terms of his decision making. Using data to help you make decisions isn't a bad thing, but you can also abuse data to make decisions and I don't know if Chapek and his team have used the data appropriately to make decisions - they need to see how it looks from the customer's perspective too but I think the data they're using right now has a goal of leading them to a bottom line figure.
Interesting stuff! Man I’d love a month or so with all of the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products data/research. That would be a magical month for me!

Interesting stuff! Man I’d love a month or so with all of the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products data/research. That would be a magical month for me!

Definitely, it would be amazing to learn what kind of data they have and what they actually track and pay attention to!

https://www.waltdisney.org/blog/walts-own-words-plussing-disneyland

In Walt's Own Words: Plussing Disneyland

"A picture is a thing that once you wrap it up and turn it over to Technicolor, you're through. Snow White is a dead issue with me. The last picture I just finished—the one I just wrapped up a few weeks ago—it's gone; I can't touch it. There's things in it I don't like? I can't do anything about it."

"I wanted something live, something that could grow, something I could keep plussing with ideas, you see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing; the thing will get more beautiful every year. And as I find what the public likes—and when a picture's finished and I put it out—I find out what they like, or they don't like, and I have to apply that to some other thing; I can't change that picture, so that's why I wanted that park."

— Walt Disney

There was a world before Covid, and Chapek was disliked even then. I remember the debates, arguments, and general disdain for Chapek that went on here.

If someone is already despised, Covid wasn't going to do them any favors.

Covid didn't make people angry at Chapek. Chapek made people angry at Chapek. Well before Covid.

There was a world before Covid, and Chapek was disliked even then. I remember the debates, arguments, and general disdain for Chapek that went on here.

If someone is already despised, Covid wasn't going to do them any favors.

Covid didn't make people angry at Chapek. Chapek made people angry at Chapek. Well before Covid.
Well, his CEO term began in 2020. So I'm curious to hear an example or two as to what you mean was "well before Covid".

Covid isnt the only reason people hate Chapek. A big part of it is his personality. He’s not personable, likable, and he’s not polished like CEOs generally are. If DAmaro had become CEO instead, he would be well more liked than Chapek is now
I am pretty sure that part of the job description isn't a Likeable person. He was hired to run a company, and he got handed a company in the worst possible circumstances. If I was head of the board, a bubbly personality would not be a characteristic I would look for. I want a person who can make tough decisions and live with them and own them. I think the board understands this and wants to give him more time in a "normal market" if you can call our economy normal right now.

I am pretty sure that part of the job description isn't a Likeable person. He was hired to run a company, and he got handed a company in the worst possible circumstances. If I was head of the board, a bubbly personality would not be a characteristic I would look for. I want a person who can make tough decisions and live with them and own them. I think the board understands this and wants to give him more time in a "normal market" if you can call our economy normal right now.
AMEN!

Well, his CEO term began in 2020. So I'm curious to hear an example or two as to what you mean was "well before Covid".
He was not well liked around here before he became CEO, from what I remember. A lot of people were upset when he was named as the next CEO.

We should get the DVC personnel on here to give us an estimate of how many people would own DVC. If you take the number of points at each resort and an estimate of the number of average points owned, you could come up with a number. Would be interesting to know that number. My guess is it's more of a market share than we think.

I am pretty sure that part of the job description isn't a Likeable person. He was hired to run a company
From an outside perspective, a leader needs a great personality. Someone to convince us that what they decided is correct. Chapek doesn't have that.

Disney needs to see this, and have a different person who will be the main voice of Disney. Hire Tom Hanks. :)

Really? He was in charge of the parks and resorts before he was CEO well before Covid. And he was starting his penny pinching "magic" before he became CEO. Look, blaming Covid for the state of Disney in 2020 is acceptable. Blaming it now in 2022 is simply crazy. But Chapek has used Covid to fuel all his penny pinching madness.

The park pass system is Chapek in a nutshell. It is horrible for guest experience - brings almost no value to the customer. But it allows Disney to manage variable labor costs as they know exactly how much capacity they need in each park and can staff appropriately. And honestly, THAT is why the parks seem busy every day. Chapek is manipulating the supply - capacity of attractions, restaurants, etc to match the demand and thus every day will seem busy. Great from a business theory perspective. But awful impact to the guests.

You wanna defend Chapek as a CEO because he is trying milk his cash cow to help prop up value to stockholders in the short term, fine. But if you can't see he is doing so at the expense of guest experience, you are missing the boat. Great business leaders know how to balance revenue vs customer experience. Disney has tons of Goodwill built up in the brand which is why he can get away with it for now but it will be interesting to see how much damage he has done and will continue to do down the road.

Really? He was in charge of the parks and resorts before he was CEO well before Covid. And he was starting his penny pinching "magic" before he became CEO. Look, blaming Covid for the state of Disney in 2020 is acceptable. Blaming it now in 2022 is simply crazy. But Chapek has used Covid to fuel all his penny pinching madness.

The park pass system is Chapek in a nutshell. It is horrible for guest experience - brings almost no value to the customer. But it allows Disney to manage variable labor costs as they know exactly how much capacity they need in each park and can staff appropriately. And honestly, THAT is why the parks seem busy every day. Chapek is manipulating the supply - capacity of attractions, restaurants, etc to match the demand and thus every day will seem busy. Great from a business theory perspective. But awful impact to the guests.

You wanna defend Chapek as a CEO because he is trying milk his cash cow to help prop up value to stockholders in the short term, fine. But if you can't see he is doing so at the expense of guest experience, you are missing the boat. Great business leaders know how to balance revenue vs customer experience. Disney has tons of Goodwill built up in the brand which is why he can get away with it for now but it will be interesting to see how much damage he has done and will continue to do down the road.
He was penny pinching while running parks? In his tenure they spent more on parks than on Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilms combined!

And regarding allowing Disney to manage variable costs. Umm...that's a GOOD thing. On a day that AK may be slightly understaffed, they can divert more help to that park since they know how many people will be in it.

This sure turned out to be accurate:

View attachment 682157
My opinion on this topic probably isn't going to be well-received but here we go.

I agree that major corporations seem greedy and probably are. That is human nature as a whole. If we are all honest and put ourselves in their shoes, we would probably do the same. It is easy to sit here and criticize when we don't have those choices to make. That does not acquit them of quilt though. I wish major corporations would be better at reinvesting in their community and people, but how can we blame them when as a society as a whole we do the same thing as them, just on a smaller scale. How much time do I invest in my community and others as a whole?

We have become so materialistic and greedy that we have forgotten to stop and care for others. If you want to make a change it has to start with "me." So instead of looking at billion-dollar companies and their executive teams and blaming them for all the woes of the world, let's take a good hard look in the mirror and start at home.

Marketing takes a look at buying patterns and behaviors, so they are just selling what we want and how we behave. We are all to blame for where we are at as a nation and society. Just my two cents.

My opinion on this topic probably isn't going to be well-received but here we go.

I agree that major corporations seem greedy and probably are. That is human nature as a whole. If we are all honest and put ourselves in their shoes, we would probably do the same. It is easy to sit here and criticize when we don't have those choices to make. That does not acquit them of quilt though. I wish major corporations would be better at reinvesting in their community and people, but how can we blame them when as a society as a whole we do the same thing as them, just on a smaller scale. How much time do I invest in my community and others as a whole?

We have become so materialistic and greedy that we have forgotten to stop and care for others. If you want to make a change it has to start with "me." So instead of looking at billion-dollar companies and their executive teams and blaming them for all the woes of the world, let's take a good hard look in the mirror and start at home.

Marketing takes a look at buying patterns and behaviors, so they are just selling what we want and how we behave. We are all to blame for where we are at as a nation and society. Just my two cents.
Like it or not, Disney is selling a product just like Exxon or Target is. Their goal is to maximize the profit on that product while simultaneously acquiring brand loyalty from customers. And it's a very fine line- short term bigger profits can lead to long term dissatisfaction. Too much reward or too low prices for customers and you might end up with short term financial issues.

But make no mistake- companies do not "like" you. They want to maximize the dollars they bring in. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter