IMPORTANT!! All DCL cruisers please read!!

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
Hi everyone,

The site has been asked by to relay the following message regarding stateroom door decorations on DCL ships:

More and more guests are choosing to express their family pride and enthusiasm for Disney Cruise Line by decorating their stateroom doors aboard our ships.

As you might imagine, it is very important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests.

As part of our commitment to this area of focus, we ask that guests no longer affix anything to their stateroom door utilizing any adhesive or tape.

We have found that these adhesives damage the finish on the stateroom doors and therefore ask that guests limit door decoration to those of the magnetic variety.

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY GEL DECORATIONS...THEY DISCOLOR THE DOORS AND FURNITURE.
Unofficially, what I'm hearing is that DCL is considering the possibility of levying surcharges on people who damage the door finish with adhesives. They're trying to avoid that because the really do appreciate the passion and creativity that people are putting into this, but the issue with the finishes coming off the doors is getting to be a real issue. I know some have already received this notice on-board the ship, but I wanted to make sure it's out there for everyone.

Thanks,
Pete

Thanks for posting this! My family is going on our first Disney cruise (and, for most of us, our first big cruise ever) and I (the planner) am looking for ways to make this a special trip. I will stick to magnets and warn the little ones against stickering their rooms. They'll have to stick to stickering us - we're all used to it, anyway. :laughing:

Please also ask DCL guests to kindly refrain from "acquiring" magnetic door decorations from someone else's cabin door. Over the last eight cruises, we've yet to finish a DCL cruise with the same door decorations that we started with.

Please also ask DCL guests to kindly refrain from "acquiring" magnetic door decorations from someone else's cabin door. Over the last eight cruises, we've yet to finish a DCL cruise with the same door decorations that we started with.

That's terrible! I can't believe someone would take your decorations. I'll have to bring doubles for our doors. Thank you for the warning, though I'm sorry you had to experience it!

Same plea from me. Spread the word, and maybe the TA's here can provide a little monograph about the whole door magnet subject to their clients.

They were re-painting a LOT of doors on our cruise last week! Mine was a mess, but it looked more like grey and dirty, not messed up finish. Supposedly there weren't any empty outside cabins, so they either mis-represented that or they were painting doors of cabins with guests staying in them as well as empty ones.

We had some door decorations but with all the excitement of our first Disney Cruise we forgot to buy "stick-on" magnets!! I was talking to our our cabin steward about this and he told me to go see guest services and wouldn't you know it; they gave me about half a dozen stick on magnets. My DD was so excited to decorate our door.

Yes We love the magnets!!!!! I have not had anyone take mine however the last time my Father traveled someone took the magnet that was in honor of our Mother that was special made......:confused3:sad1: Probably kids playing a joke but it was not a good thing....

I hope this is not TOO dumb of a question but, where do you get the magnets to decorate your door? We are going to celebrate my daughter's birthday and was curious as to what kind of magnets you are talking about. I know the small ones, but I think that would be too little.

There are magnet threads here on the Dis in the cruise section. You go to Office Depo or another supply store and buy magnetic paper and print up your own magnets. There are some people on these boards that will personalize the magnets for you also:thumbsup2

the little sitck on magnets you can get at any craft store like micheals, they also have rolls of stick on magnet strip you can get. I happen to like the squares the best. It's getting hard to find the magnetic paper sheets, the last time I used them I had to order them online and they can be pretty pricey.
Actually disney has had this policy in place for a couple of years now. I think they started it in 2008 because we were informed of it before our canal cruise. If I remember right it was no tape or adhesive other than magnets were allowed. I do know that some people were trying out the window clingy things that you get for the holidays, maybe those attack the finish as well. I have never used those type of decorations on anything but windows so I don't know for sure.

Wow, for a second I thought this was about Disney asking folks to stop decorating their doors. I use magnets so all is good! Whew.

So as to not have anyone question my ability at reading comprehension, I did understand the "no adhesive" language above. That said, I'll ask the obvious question: Does this also include the removable adhesive stickers that you can buy that are guaranteed no to mar walls, paint, etc.?

I ask because we picked a bunch of these for our cruise this past March on the Magic. A number of people commented favorably on our door and the kids really enjoyed decorating it. We removed everything the day before debarking and I saw no evidence of any damage. I'd like to do it again but don't want to get into any trouble. Any thoughts?

We have been using the 3M Command hooks in the staterooms...we haven't left any marks there....I hope it isn't the 3M stuff! On the door we just use magnets....

We usually end up with getting FE gifts stolen. Walk in see them, come out a couple min leter to gather them and most are gone....

We use Magnets

:sad2: That's terrible!
I guess we've been lucky. In 4 Disney cruises, we've never lost any.
Well, make that 3. First cruise we didn't decorate our door. I thought it was silly until we got on the ship and noticed that someone's decorations close to the elevator lobby helped us keep our bearings between port and starboard. Dh even admitted it makes it easier to spot our room.

I've bought magnet sheets from
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HN5Q/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
and here for larger quantities
http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/5.htm

We printed pictures and laminated them and then added magnets to it. We also placed blank post it notes around the door and left a pen hanging so that people could leave notes to us. I will post a picture once I hit 5 posts.

Im just leaving this note so I can leave a picture of how fun the post it notes were.:yay:

Ok, so below is nota picture of the door at the end of the trip because we need to leave 10 posts. The Post it Notes were a huge hit with not only other cruisers but also the staff. Our Stateroom Hostloved reading the new notes posted everyday. Even his manager would pass by to read them. We met a bunch of the people who left the notes and it was a great way for our 10 year old to meet other kids. Everyday wehad prople stopping by our room to say hi. We even met a couple who lived less then a mile from our home. I encourage everyone to try this, but please give us credit for being the first people to try it and make it popular!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter