I'm feeling better about the house tonight

Rajah

DIS Veteran
It rained ALL.DAY.LONG. So my dad and I decided today would be a perfect day to check the house for leaks and the streets for flooding.

We went down to the house -- no problem on the streets. I've encountered more flooding trying to get home to the apartment in similar conditions than we did on the way to the house. There's one place that could pose a problem at times, but overall the way from work to home was clear.

As for the attic -- I actually felt safe up there when we went up to check it. I don't feel safe in my parent's attic at all. And we couldn't find what brace the inspector was talking about -- everything looked good to us structurally. True, we aren't professionals, but I do feel better about it having seen the attic for myself. We'll see if the official report indicates *which* beam he thought wasn't sufficient.

We did find some leaking around a few of the vents, so it was very much worth going there after all the rain. We left a message with the salesguy who said he'd fax it to the builder tomorrow so we could get those fixed as soon as possible.

Other than that, I looked again at the "problems" the inspector found yesterday and feel much better than I did yesterday. So many of them were such minor paint deals or putting a little bit of wood putty or caulking or stuff like that that I'm happy again.

We are going to still get the roof reshingled if the builder will do it, or also acceptable would be if they bring out a manufacturer rep who will sign that the roof meets waranty requirements. Preferably replace it.

Anyway, I'm much happier again tonight than I was last night. :)

Thanks so much for all the support, all. :)

Rajah,
Sounds like you're getting a much needed "rainbow" after the storm!!
Hope everything works out for you!
Pam

Good!

Just remember you are at your best position right now to get things in the order you want. A roofing company might give you a second opinion at no charge and might be worth it. That way you have something to balance the information the builder gives you.

Originally posted by JohnTBap
LOL Rajah!! If there ever was a day to check for leaks, this was it!!!

:)

Normally I *HATE* this weather. Today I was glad for it, because I think this was the worst I've seen since the flooding last year. If it didn't flood today, it likely won't flood at all. And the only leaks we saw were at vents where it didn't surprise us.

It was a great deal of fun yesterday with the rain. We let the support staff at my firm go at 4:00 due to the weather and that may have been a mistake as that was the worst of the flooding yesterday.

While it was good to check the roof yesterday during the rain, if the problem is improper nailing of the shingles, the problem may take years to fully appear.

Good luck on the process. Have you heard on the loan yet?

Really hope things work out for you and this prospective house. :)

Got my fingers crossed that it works our for you, Raj.

If the house were in Jersey, I'd have my brother-in-law look at for you (he's a contractor that specializes in roofing). Someone like him could allay any concerns, for sure.

Do not sign without a second inspection and a new roof! The house is new, so go for the gold!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter