If you don't like your meal and you are on the meal plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From experience I can tell you that if you don't like something, Disney will bring you something else. And, there is plenty of poor quality food being dished up at Disney.

So, relax and enjoy. If you order something and you really don't like it, or it's poor quality, send it back and ask for something else. You will be accommodated. Of course, there are limitations on this. Where the menu is a set meal, e.g., CRT, you don't have much choice but to suffer through some of it, though you could change entrees. A place like 'Ohana . . . well, it's all poor quality, so changing from the chicken to the beef just won't help. But, in most table service places, Disney will bring you a different entree if you really don't like your first choice.

Additionally, poor quality, I have found, is a particular problem during free dining as restaurants substitute cheaper things for regular menu items. Chefs de France, which usually has a pretty good steak, served something to me during free dining that bore no relation to steak -- or even beef.

OK, the OP has clarified that they are not first time visitors (it sure sounded like they were first time visitors) but they've booked a last minute trip on the dining plan and can't get a reservation at their favorites, so they've had to book restaurants they've never been to before, don't like the menus at some of them, and want to know their options if they don't like the food.

If it's a matter of you just don't like it, I don't think there is much you can do but chalk it up to "don't try this restaurant again." And yes, it's possible to order it the way you want it - although service at WDW restaurants is so erratic you can't say what happens at one restaurant will happen for sure at another. You can also just say what you ordered is not to your taste and ask if you can have something else. (And I do think we were thrown off by the "what if we don't like the meal" question, because that seems to indicate what if you just don't like it, not what if there is something fundamentally wrong with the food itself.)

If there is something wrong with the food, send it back and ask for something else.

I'm afraid I can't recall being in a WDW restaurant where a server took initiative and asked what was wrong if you didn't eat your meal. If you're waiting for that, you might be disappointed. Some might, but some might not. It might be up to you to say something. Since the OP states their party sometimes leaves restaurants having not eaten anything, I am assuming they don't want to be the ones to say something.

If it's so bad you can't eat it, tell them you want your dining credits back.

I can't say I have ever heard anything about slugs in chicken either.

My rule is "if you don't know if you're going to like it, don't order it". I will only send something back if it isn't cooked how I ordered it, or it is bad. (bad as in my chicken was undercooked, or the tomatoes tasted spoiled). Disney is pretty accomodating, and will make dishes how you like them. Don't know if you're going to like a sauce? Simply ask for it on the side. As far as food allergies go, Disney is the best. I am allergic to shellfish, and the chiefs where all very accomidating.

How about scheduling meals at buffets? There is more to choose from, and if you don't like somthing, you can always go back to the buffet. I am sure if you ordered something, and didn't like it, Disney would make you something else, and take the first entree off the bill, but if you are a picky eater, you should just order what you know you are going to like, or at least be able to tolerate.

Issue one: you seem to be hung up on 'quality'. define quality. what you may consider an inedible hunk of dead poultry, another person may find perfectly acceptable, gristle or no( I actually DO get this reference.. preformed chiken patties are notorious for this stuff..and so are Mc Nuggets. ) however if I go to micky D's or chik fila or a similar style/type restaurant.. I EXPECT that level of quality and adjust my taste buds accordingly( and stock up on sweet n sour sauce). pre formed patties at V&A? yeah, not so much. my expectations of the quality level are higher here

Issue 2: taste: again define taste. I personally and honestly cannot fathom the 'picky' eater who only wants plain steamed broccoli, french fries and a grilled chicken. I make THAT at home when I am trying to pretend I am eating healthy. when I am out and about my goal is to try the new sauces and spices and ingredient combinations. Pizza at WDW? ewwww.. and not because of any preconceived notions on taste or quality.. but b/c I eat that at home. I feel sorry for anyone who refuses to step out of their comfort zone and try something new. I never would have discovered the joy that is tako yaki if I were dull and boring. (natto on the other hand.. blech. not glad I tried that .

I WILL go out of my way to hit an In n Out or a White Castle.. but only b/c I have none close by any more *le Sigh*

and yes there have been times I was underwhelmed by the food choice.. I admit it..I DO NOT like the Mac n cheese at Jiko. there. I said it. didn't finish it off my plate. (more room for desert ) first time, I didn't demand a new side dish just cause I thought it was nasty tasting( it was cooked perfectly fine, DH ate his and mine with no complaints) nor did I expect a discount because I didn't eat half my plate. ever since then, I don't get it. ( I actually seldom order the steak anyway, I much prefer their game dishes)

Frankly I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment and are overthinking things. and I agree, drop the DP altogether. you'd probably be better off with other options.

I'm a picky eater who consides myself a food and service snob in that I expect high quality. If I see fat, I eat around it. Stuff my inlaws eat, I wouldn't touch. Disney always alters dishes for me.

The ONLY place I won't return is Electric Umbrella for a CS as the food was too salty. There's been a few TS places that havent wowed me. But my food was decent, and we went back the next year, in some cases.

I'm don't want the OP to feel attacked at all.... but relax, and enjoy your vacation. You are already starting off with low expectations, so that is what you are going to expect to see.

Well how I see it, I'd rather have low expectations and be happily suprised than have high expectations and be constantly disappointed. We love disney and always have a great time eating there except for a few instances where the restaurants were new to us.

I just wanted to see if they would remove the unusual sauces at non-buffet restaurants. As many have said, they will. I do not want to order something which I know I will not like which is why I will request that the sauces be removed. As for the quality, I don't think that expecting a decent cut of chicken for a sandwich or food that is not being served with germ infested utensils from the floor is being extremely picky. Yes, we like our food plain. Why should we be judged for that?

For those of you who think that I am expecting too much, what would you have done after witnessing the Chef Mickey incident and notifying the buffet attendent? Would you have continued to eat the food and/or pay out of pocket or with a meal credit for a meal that you were not comfortable eating for sanitary reasons? Keep in mind that the incident occurs as soon as you bring your first plate up to the stations. You have not yet eaten anything.

It is these types of situations that I feel are unacceptable on every level. I do not feel it is unreasonable to receive a refund for quality issues that cannot be corrected (by a new cut of meat, etc.). I certainly don't want to be one of the reviews that are reporting food poisoning because I was too quiet to speak up when quality was unacceptable.

Well how I see it, I'd rather have low expectations and be happily suprised than have high expectations and be constantly disappointed. We love disney and always have a great time eating there except for a few instances where the restaurants were new to us.

I just wanted to see if they would remove the unusual sauces at non-buffet restaurants. As many have said, they will. I do not want to order something which I know I will not like which is why I will request that the sauces be removed. As for the quality, I don't think that expecting a decent cut of chicken for a sandwich or food that is not being served with germ infested utensils from the floor is being extremely picky. Yes, we like our food plain. Why should we be judged for that?

For those of you who think that I am expecting too much, what would you have done after witnessing the Chef Mickey incident and notifying the buffet attendent? Would you have continued to eat the food and/or pay out of pocket or with a meal credit for a meal that you were not comfortable eating for sanitary reasons? Keep in mind that the incident occurs as soon as you bring your first plate up to the stations. You have not yet eaten anything.

It is these types of situations that I feel are unacceptable on every level. I do not feel it is unreasonable to receive a refund for quality issues that cannot be corrected (by a new cut of meat, etc.). I certainly don't want to be one of the reviews that are reporting food poisoning because I was too quiet to speak up when quality was unacceptable.

Well, honestly, the Chef Mickey thing really wouldn't have bothered me. I have kids and know how they are. I truly expect that at a buffet where there are probably many more children than adults attending....stuff like that is going to happen. And most likely does. Frequently. Having said that....I'm pretty laid back and not at all "heebee-geebee-ish" about my food. I do understand that some folks are and I hope that Disney will be very accomodating to your preferences. I have a shellfish allergy and generally avoid all seafood in case my salmon might have been placed on the same cutting board or in the same pan as some shellfish.

Which restaurants are you planning on attending? I'm sure you could get some opinions on quality in general that might help you in the decision making process.

I don't mess with Chef Mickey's. But I guess I would have left.

Really, I think a lot of the stuff on this thread came from the title which said "What if you don't like the meal" and then the question was if you can get your dining credits refunded if you have an issue with the food being prepared incorrectly or being otherwise completely unacceptable, not just can you get them refunded if you ordered something that isn't to your taste. I'm not sure what you will be able to do if they serve you the plain chicken you asked for and you just don't like it (as opposed to it isn't cooked through or something like that). Reading your original post I wasn't sure how difficult it might be to please you, but plain, unsauced food can be done.

If the meal isn't edible, or something happens like happened at Chef Mickey's, then see the manager and let them know why you do not want to eat there and you don't expect to be charged a credit.

Ditch the DDP, keep your one favorite choice for a TS meal, and eat counter service. It just sounds like you will be happier that way. If it is a food quality issue, that is one thing, but if you order something unfamiliar and you don't like it that isn't grounds for a refund. The examples that the OP has thrown out are very extreme. Obviously is your seafood is bad or your chicken is all fat and ligament, send it back. If you don't like the garlic taste to the garlic mashed potatoes, that is an entirely different situation.

And no, being on the DDP doesn't effect your ability to get an ADR, but what people are getting at is that if you demand your TS credit back, where else are you going to eat when most of the good places aren't going to allow for walk in's because they are booked. A reservation slot at another place isn't going to magically open up for you just because you now have an extra TS credit to spare. Disney will go out of their way to make you happy, but even they have limits.

Honestly OP, I cannot understand why you are working so hard to make the Dining Plan work for you. :confused3

You and your group, from your descriptions, clearly have very non-adventurous and unsophisticated palates, and you seem to be so fixated on what a disaster it's going to be (dirty buffets, poor quality food, people getting sick...none of which anyone I know has experienced in the innumerable trips we've all taken), I think you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Why try to fit a square peg in a round hole? Stick to counter service where the food is rather basic and plain, then you don't have to worry about the table service restaurants accomodating the huge amount of varied requirements you all have. That way neither you or the table service staffs need to be stressed out and everyone in your group can easily find something that suits their particular brand of pickiness.

C3363, since you are the one who is paying for the food, you are entitled, within reason, to be able to have food that you can eat. BUT, it's your responsiblity to do the leg work in advance to work out the details. Being proactive is better than being disappointed or wondering "what will happen..." or sitting there not eating and being afraid to speak up.

Since you can't get ADR's in any "normal" restaurants, then you should study evey single item on the menu of the restaurants you've chosen in advance, narrow the items on the menu down to one or two, decide ahead of time which ones you want to order and what changes will have to be made to suit your tastes/allergies, etc., and then phone the restaurants directly before leaving home and ask if the chef can accomodate your needs.

The chef may be willing to go to great lengths to please you, or he may think you're whacky and tell you to visit someone else's resatuarnt and please leave his alone.

My guess is that the response will be somewhere inbetween and you'll have to live with it or not eat at that restaurant. The more in advance you do this, the better.

There are some things you won't be able to control; the quality of the food (i.e., no gristle, fat, etc); the composition of a complex dish or sauce; the menu offerings, i.e., ordering grilled fish if fish isn't on the menu.

You also cannot control the cleanliness of the kitchen or whether or not the waiter washed his hands after using the restroom (let's ALL hope he did), or the price.

After you've done everything you can do on your end, you will just have to wait and see how it all turns out. There are no guarantees that you will "love" your meal. However, just leaving everything to chance or walking in and trying to make detailed changes without advance notice is unreasonable and most likely you WILL be disappointed, especially if you are a picky eater.

About a month ago, I phoned Teppan Edo and talked to one of the chef's about a celebration we're having there. It was a positive experience. Don't call when they are busy. You may have to phone and schedule a time to talk to someone who can help, but you will be able to talk to someone.

Enjoy your trip and good luck with your food. If all else fails, order salad, dressing on the side. ;)

Aunt Bee

WRT the chef mickey thing..
sorry but no the fact that the spoon rest wasn't immediately hosed down with bleach after having a dropped utensil placed in it doesn't squick me out. Floor germs?! seriously? my kitchen floor is worse than anything at WDW as IT only gets washed every 2 weeks by the hired help. and I have cats that plop allover it getting in my way as I cook. haven't died of botulism yet....

I think some of your expectations are highly unrealistic and tad bit snobbish. the general consensus has been.. improperly prepared food.. fine, send it back.. but when you came in spouting off how your want to get full refunds just because you didn't like the taste of something?! sorry, over the line and rather elitist/entitlement minded.

how are you ever going to expand your horizons if you won't even TRY something new? the Unbreakable laws in my family: take all you want, eat all you take and the biggie: you must take three FULL bites of something and chew/.swallow.. before you are allowed to say you do not like it. ESPECIALLY if you are paying for the DP.. seems to me a helluva waste of money to insist on plain unsauced stuff everywhere you go

I have 2 kids that are Disney adults. They are not that picky of eaters but they refused to eat root vegtable mash at PT, rissoto or any kind of red wine reduction. Never did we have a problem leaving sauces off or simply changing one side for another. Since WDW considers 10yo an adult I am sure they are pros at picky eaters.

Disney is really quite good for picky eaters. They'll modify anything they can for you, such as no sauce or sauce on the side, or leaving of seasonings if possible.

Maybe they should have a picky eaters restaurant instead of dumbing down the menus elsewhere for those that aren't picky.

And no, being on the DDP doesn't effect your ability to get an ADR, but what people are getting at is that if you demand your TS credit back, where else are you going to eat when most of the good places aren't going to allow for walk in's because they are booked. A reservation slot at another place isn't going to magically open up for you just because you now have an extra TS credit to spare.

Exactly! This is why the plan just doesn't seem to be right for you. If you aren't on the plan, and you see an appetizer or a salad that looks tasty, you can order THAT, instead of having to order an entree that doesn't suit you. If you aren't on the plan, and they agree to not charge you if your appetite has been ruined, you have money for when your appetite comes back later, when you can go grab a quick and simple burger, or, if you were to choose to change plans, perhaps go off site somewhere (we loved Sweet Tomatoes).

Getting your credit refunded does *nothing* if there's no other TS available, and if the CMs don't opt to change your TS into a CS credit.

ESPECIALLY if you are paying for the DP..

Are they? Oh that makes it worse. I thought they were getting "free dining" and that's why they were keeping it.

Well how I see it, I'd rather have low expectations and be happily suprised than have high expectations and be constantly disappointed.

It just doesn't tend to go that way with vacations. We tend to bring expectations in and smother reality with them, instead of allowing ourselves to really experience it.

I don't understand who you reported it to, but if I'd seen something like this (and I once saw a spoon issue happen and made sure it was taken care of, though not at Disney) I would have told the chefs immediately and watched them as they took the container of food away. I wouldn't have walked away to tell someone else.

And that issue has NOTHING to do with the rest of it! That's a cleanliness problem. Not a taste or quality problem.

I certainly don't want to be one of the reviews that are reporting food poisoning because I was too quiet to speak up when quality was unacceptable.

Right. But you are the one who has stated very clearly that you don't ever tell a server when something's bad. First page, I think it was, that you stated that. And with CM it doesn't seem like you stood there and made sure it was taken care of. No one is suggesting to you that you not speak up.

If we order a meal and then find that we just can't eat it (for the taste) will they refund our table service credit?

It is 100% a quality issue.

Maybe you can understand why there's been some confusion on here?

I still say to dump the dining plan, order EXACTLY what you want, let them know if something's gross, and allow them to help you in the ways the server *can* help you at that time.

MrsJVB,

That is great that you don't mind eating with utensils that have been on the floor where millions of people have stepped after also walking through public bathrooms etc. We do mind. I don't think that's snobby.

When you are close with someone who has a severe food allergy to several different foods that are commonly used in all types of sauces, seasonings etc. maybe you will understand the rational for some people not wanting to gamble with their lives by trying something new. We always notify in advance. We also make sure to order things that we know won't cause a problem. Thus, not experimenting and risking anaphylaxis.

Is it necessary to personally attack my character because you don't agree with my food choices?

I didn't realize that asking if there is a refund policy for table service credits would be such a hot debate amongst the board. :confused3 Especially since I have never "demanded" a full refund and rarely ever say ANYTHING even when the food is way below standard. As for not being able to use the credit at other restaurants, fine! If the restaurant does not accomodate (as in the Chef Mickey incident) should they still be paid? Like I have said several times, we don't complain and we don't demand refunds. That means we don't eat anything, pay full price or lose a meal on our dining plan. The restaurant gets full compensation, the waitress gets full tip, and we leave starving.

For me, the quality of food affects the taste. If the food is cold, meat is undercooked, chicken is pure fat etc., it doesn't taste good.

I am not an "elitist", "snob", "unsophisticated" or "difficult to please." I find it interesting that people seem to think I have a "bad attitude" yet have no hesitations when throwing out personal attacks.

MrsJVB,

That is great that you don't mind eating with utensils that have been on the floor where millions of people have stepped after also walking through public bathrooms etc. We do mind. I don't think that's snobby.

When you are close with someone who has a severe food allergy to several different foods that are commonly used in all types of sauces, seasonings etc. maybe you will understand the rational for some people not wanting to gamble with their lives by trying something new. We always notify in advance. We also make sure to order things that we know won't cause a problem. Thus, not experimenting and risking anaphylaxis.

Is it necessary to personally attack my character because you don't agree with my food choices?

I didn't realize that asking if there is a refund policy for table service credits would be such a hot debate amongst the board. :confused3 Especially since I have never "demanded" a full refund and rarely ever say ANYTHING even when the food was way below standard. As for not being able to use the credit at other restaurants, fine! If the restaurant does not accomodate (as in the Chef Mickey incident) should they still be paid? Like I have said several times, we don't complain and we don't demand refunds. That means we don't eat anything, pay full price or lose a meal on our dining plan. The restaurant gets full compensation, the waitress gets full tip, and we leave starving.

For me the quality affects the taste of food. If chicken is pure fat, meat is undercooked or food is cold, it doesn't taste good.

It seems like only 100% positive reviews and comments are acceptable.

If things have been as bad as you say in the past I would not consider going back. That would resolve this entire question.

If things have been as bad as you say in the past I would not consider going back. That would resolve this entire question.

Like I've said, we've gone to WDW many times and have been happy with our meals 95% of the time. We aren't unhappy at every meal and we have never asked for a refund. The 5% of the time that we were unhappy was due to food being served in unsanitary conditions, food being cold, undercooked, bad cuts of meat etc. This wouldn't be acceptable at any restaurant. I don't think Disney should be exempt.

honestly op, i cannot understand why you are working so hard to make the dining plan work for you. :confused3

you and your group, from your descriptions, clearly have very non-adventurous and unsophisticated palates, and you seem to be so fixated on what a disaster it's going to be (dirty buffets, poor quality food, people getting sick...none of which anyone i know has experienced in the innumerable trips we've all taken), i think you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Why try to fit a square peg in a round hole? Stick to counter service where the food is rather basic and plain, then you don't have to worry about the table service restaurants accomodating the huge amount of varied requirements you all have. That way neither you or the table service staffs need to be stressed out and everyone in your group can easily find something that suits their particular brand of pickiness.

amen!!!!!

I see one of the places you are going to is Raglan Road. Word of the wise, SKIP this if you are going with people with severe food allergies. We had an awful situation with my nephews at that place. Figured it was a fluke until someone else complained about the same thing with their nut allergic son! I'd stay far away from there with food allergies. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter