If you don't like your meal and you are on the meal plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is one place on the earth where they would accomodate your tastes, it is Disney.

With that said, ditch the dining plan. Order only what you want. Discuss the food allergy with every restaurant WAY IN ADVANCE.

Being on the other side (the kitchen side), it is sometimes hurtful to everyone involved, when food comes back to the kitchen, especially when the food is cooked properly and is of a good quality & there is nothing wrong with it. It hurts everyone financially-from the other guests to the waiters, cooks, shareholders and performers. It drives the price up when there is waste.

People work hard in the Disney Restaurants to do what they can to make your vacation the best possible given their circumstances. They are better than I ever tried to be as a chef.

With that said, we have precious little time on this earth. Disney is a place where you can try a bit of what many parts of it & its people have to offer. Take a risk, try something new, even just once on your trip. You might just like it. If you don't, oh well, there is always the next meal. Have a fun time on your trip.:)

No one in our group is going to order something unusual. We are sticking to the options we know we generally like. Trying something new is not on anyone's agenda in our group. Our concern is the quality of the unfamiliar restaurants we are going to.

We are staying on property and will not be leaving the property. As far as I know, whether or not we have the dining plan makes no difference in terms of getting a reservation. Many of Disney restaurants we love. Unfortunately, we only got one of our favorites 1 time out of 6. The other five (that we were able to get ADR's for) are new to us.

What are the new restaurants you'll be visiting? I'm sure you could get some opinions on the entrees there. We have been to Disney many times and are a family of adventurous eaters, so I know we've tried a bunch of different stuff.

No one in our group is going to order something unusual. We are sticking to the options we know we generally like. Trying something new is not on anyone's agenda in our group. Our concern is the quality of the unfamiliar restaurants we are going to.

We are staying on property and will not be leaving the property. Whether or not we have the dining plan makes no difference in terms of getting a reservation.

Like I said, we DON'T complain to the waitress. We end up not eating the meal, paying in full and of course, tipping. This doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen, especially with poultry dishes. This is why we don't eat at McDonalds which is notorious for "slugs" in the chicken.

I do think that it is acceptable to complain about the quality, service and cleanliness in a restaurant. Suppose you purchase a new camera and it doesn't work when you take it out of the box. Would you return it? Expect a refund? Or just deal with it? What if you purchase a swimsuit online and it arrives filthy? Would you keep it?

Have you ever been to Disney? Eaten in their sit down restaurants?

We have stayed on site with the dining plan for 50+ days in the past 5 years. We have NEVER had an inedible meal with poor quality ingredients. We have (very rarely) gotten a meal that doesn't agree with someone's taste buds. In which case, we normally swap things around and share food. However, we are pretty adventurous eaters - that doesn't mean we are willing to eat poor quality foods, but we are willing to try new things.

Keep an open mind. Every restaurant we've eaten in are great at customizing meals (leaving sauces off, swapping one side for another - like fries for mashed potatoes, etc). You really will be fine unless you go into it with a bad attitude...that'll ruin every experience every time.

Yes, all of us have been to Disney many, many times. We always have stuck with our favorite restaurants. This was a short notice trip so we weren't able to get our favorites.

We have had bad experiences with Disney Dining. One was at Chef Mickey's. It was also "new" to us. The food was cold, the floor was covered in food, we only saw the waiter one time, kids were dropping the serving utensils on the floor and putting them back in the food (we notified the buffet attendant about this and they just replaced the spoon not the dish that was now full of floor germs). Who wants to eat that now? I don't think that is an overly "picky" attitude. I can honestly say in the 1.5 hours we were there, no attempt was made to clean any of the stations, the floor etc. The ice cream machine was overflowing so much on the tray that you couldn't even get a dish under it. This was during "value" season.

We love Disney, and enjoy eating out there. We don't have a "bad attitude." However, it is unrealistic to expect guests to eat food that is not up to par or completely unsanitary as in the above example.

One of the restaurants we had booked was Cap'n Jacks. After reading the online reviews of numerous cases of people getting sick and alleged food poisoning from the crab cakes plus the 80% do not recommend rating, we cancelled it. That is an example of quality that is not acceptable in my opinion. Those people who were getting sick from the food had every right to complain. It doesn't matter if it is Disney or a national chain.

Hopefully everything will go well and we won't have any really bad food. One of the places I'm concerned with is Raglan Road. It has good reviews, so hopefully it will be good.

It's very easy to get sauces left off and nearly every place does plain grilled chicken for kids meals that they will serve in an adult portion if requested. For allergies they will make sure that the person gets to eat but it may not be comparable to what others have and they will still charge a ddp credit for it. For example at one place I ended up with a kids meal (tiny steak and fries) and no app or dessert because they couldn't work around my allergies and I was still charged a full TS credit. On sides they will always let you substitute fries and usually will let you sub one side for another as long as they have enough. Maybe buffets would work for your group? They all have kids options that anyone can eat that are plain plus lots of fruit, salad, sides, etc.

OP: I completely understand your revulsion after the experience at Chef Mickeys. But I have heard this same complaint repeatedly about CM dinner buffets. This is why we would never get an ADR there in the first place. Same with Capn Jack's.

I always try to take restaurant reviews with a large grain of salt. However, when any restaurant consistently, and repeatedly gets unfavourable reviews regarding poor quality or uncleanliness, then you would be foolhardy to eat there. (JMHO). You obviously learned this lesson well, if too late in your first example.

By all means, do whatever research you deem necessary in selecting your ADRs. But don't tar them all with the same brush as Chef Mickey. Good for you that in the past you have been able to find a couple of restaurants that meet your exacting standards. Trust me, there are still a couple more out there that you havent tried yet. There is no reason to go expecting the worst: if you do, you will undoubtedly find it.

YOU need to take charge of your restaurant experience. Don't be afraid to order what you want and what you will eat. If you just order what you think will be "close enough" then you will be bound to be disappointed in some way.

YES! Channel your Inner Sally (from When Harry Met Sally) and order the food you want, how you want it. My sis in law is really picky, and orders food exactly how she wants it, and in that way gets just what she wants. When it's done right, she is verbally appreciative to the server, and she tips extra nicely. Everyone ends up happy.

With that said, ditch the dining plan. Order only what you want. Discuss the food allergy with every restaurant WAY IN ADVANCE.

I agree!

Just don't go to the Grand Floridian Cafe. Not sure if it was our server Bob, or just the restaurant, but anything we asked for, like french fries instead of the tomato salad with the Grand Floridian burger was a no, or smoothies as our drink (which EVERY restaurant did except GFC) a sigh & a "I will see if I can pull some strings."

I too, think you should get rid of the dining plan and pay OOP for what pleases you. Since members of your group are very picky, and you are approaching this expecting the worse, I think you should leave yourselves more flexibility.
I agree that if food is of poor quality you have the right to complain.
But I do not agree with your position that if you do not like it you should be somehow compensated.
When I eat out in the real world, not Disney, if I order something I don't like I chalk it up to a learning experience. I do not expect to be compensated. I could clearly read the menu description and I chose to order it. Not the restaurants fault. If I know a restuarant is too "fancy" for me, I don't go. I am a pretty plain eater, and I have been happy in a wide variety of Disney restaurants. Were all perfect, No. But again, I knew what I was getting into and chose to go.

Read the menus for each restaurant carefully. It is futile and unnecessarily frustrating (for you and the restaurant staff) to try to eat at a place where the menu can't meet your group's requirements. I would never expect any restaurant anywhere to refund my money or table credit simply because I didn't care for the taste of my meal. If something is improperly prepared or the food is 'bad', then you have grounds for complaint.
s.

This reminds me of a woman I once saw at the CS place in the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot.

"I want an order of french frys for my son"

(Host) "I am sorry we don't have french frys"

"Then he will take plain fried potatos"

(Host) "I am sorry we don't have potato"

She then starts back over at "French fries"

This goes on for quite a while and at some point she becomes rather "hysterical" because "My son only eats French frys" A manager is summoned. He explains to her that they are not trying to be difficult, but.... they don't have the ingredients to make what she wants.

She is ranting and raving by now. Son is in total meltdown and the entire seating area is being entertained by this dramatic show. (Manager had realized this was the "lunch time entertainment" and really attempted to move this show out of the way but mother was having nothing to do with that. She was going to stand right there in the middle of the action and have her fit! LOL! )

She finally wheels the kid in the stroller out of there (without the french frys!)

I never really understood why she thought this would work.

Disney is really quite good for picky eaters. They'll modify anything they can for you, such as no sauce or sauce on the side, or leaving of seasonings if possible.

I have a family member with severe food allergies, and not only did the chef come to the table, he prepared a special, off-the-menu dish. Considering the thousands of people that Disney serves each year, I think they are successful more often than not. Disney will accommodate you, but be realistic in your expectations. :wizard:

I do think that it is acceptable to complain about the quality, service and cleanliness in a restaurant. Suppose you purchase a new camera and it doesn't work when you take it out of the box. Would you return it? Expect a refund? Or just deal with it? What if you purchase a swimsuit online and it arrives filthy? Would you keep it?
I don't think that anyone here disagrees with you on that point.

FWIW, I am a very adventurous eater and I "returned" a meal the last time I ate at Applebees. The server came by and asked how things were and I told him the meal was terrible. It was a "special" item and the flavor was simply nasty. I would not eat it (and I can and do eat just about anything!) so I ordered something else instead.

Like I said, we DON'T complain to the waitress. We end up not eating the meal, paying in full and of course, tipping. This doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen, especially with poultry dishes. This is why we don't eat at McDonalds which is notorious for "slugs" in the chicken.

As for what happens at a chain restaurant like Applebees, it has been my experience that the waiters often ask if everything was okay and offer at least a partial refund when they notice you didn't eat much of your meal. If it was really bad, (fatty, cold, tough etc.) sometimes we accept. If it was a taste issue, we don't.

You should complain if you don't like something. you deserve to eat something that you like if you aren't happy! But I don't think Disney is a typical "restaurant" I think they will try to make you happy before they comp your meal. If you aren't happy then you need to let the manager know. I just wouldn't get upset if they don't comp your food.

Simply commenting on the notion that you can/can't send back a meal you don't like.

Having worked in the food industry, and as an avid dining guest in many different types of restaurants, OF COURSE you should send something back you don't like.

Dining in a restaurant is a strange hybrid of product and service. If you bought a dvd player and opened the box and it was defective, you take it back. Service is different, in that often poor service cannot be fixed.

Your waiter, the dining experience, and the theme of the food, etc, is the service. The food itself is the product.

Obviously, if you are an jerk and order something you know you won't like just to take it back, well, you are still a jerk, but the restaurant should honor your request and bring you what you want. That would be good service. You are spending money. However, if the restaurant decides you are trouble, and boots you for your bad behavior, then that too is a service (to the other customers! :)

Seriously, if you order something and don't like it, from McDonald's to The French Laundry, then say something, be polite, explain the issue, and any good server/restaurant will fix the problem.

But to the OP, definitely follow everyones advice and call Disney about the eating issues of the members in the party if you insist on going with the dining plan, or even if you have an ADR and aren't on the dining plan. Disney will generally fix the problem or come up with a new solution, no matter where you are.

Just my $.02.

We are staying on property and will not be leaving the property. As far as I know, whether or not we have the dining plan makes no difference in terms of getting a reservation. Many of Disney restaurants we love. Unfortunately, we only got one of our favorites 1 time out of 6. The other five (that we were able to get ADR's for) are new to us.

As for what happens at a chain restaurant like Applebees, it has been my experience that the waiters often ask if everything was okay and offer at least a partial refund when they notice you didn't eat much of your meal. If it was really bad, (fatty, cold, tough etc.) sometimes we accept. If it was a taste issue, we don't.

I eat in restaurants fairly regularly and have never had 'slugs' in my chicken or a dish that was so fatty/cold/tough that I couldn't eat it, yet this sounds like a fairly regular occurrence for you! You must just have really terrible luck!

If there's something wrong with the meal, then by all means speak up and have it fixed. If you don't know if you will like something or suspect that you won't, then I wouldn't order that in the first place. Disney restaurants will serve your meals without any sauces, etc. that you ask to have left off.

Now last trip we were at Kona - there were 11 of us - 5 adults and 6 kids. My dd5 ordered the Mickey ravioli and did not like it. We didn't say a word about it but the waiter noticed that she wasn't eating and asked if she would like something else. He brought her out chicken strips instead at no charge. I didn't expect this at all and it was great that he noticed and offered. I would have just gotten her something else later on if she needed it but since she had eaten her appetizer and I knew she would eat the ice cream, I wasn't worried. Now my oldest dd will only eat steak well done - Le Cellier could not get it well done for her - it was sent back to the kitchen 3 times and still came out various shades of red/pink. After the 3rd time, she was asked if she would like something else but she declined because everyone else was done eating by that point.

Just don't go to the Grand Floridian Cafe. Not sure if it was our server Bob, or just the restaurant, but anything we asked for, like french fries instead of the tomato salad with the Grand Floridian burger was a no, or smoothies as our drink (which EVERY restaurant did except GFC) a sigh & a "I will see if I can pull some strings."

Oh wow, must have been your server. We've only dined at GFC once, but our server was very accomodating to anything we requested. He would have bent over backwards to please us it seemed. We really felt "taken care of" and it was one of the best examples of excellent customer service we've had in WDW.

The answer to this situation is a buffet. Take a bite of something and hate it? Go try something else.

A counter service or a la carte table service is NOT the place to take a bite of an entree and then ask for another dish if you're too picky to eat it. I've certainly had dishes that just weren't my favorite, but instead of demanding a refund, I just shrug it off and remember not to order it again.

Now, if it's a true quality issue, that's different.

It is 100% a quality issue. No one is planning on ordering something from any menu that they haven't had before and then complaining about it. Why would we do that? If we know we won't like something it would be pointless to order it in the first place. :confused3 My "don't like the meal" comment refers to the quality.

If we have another experience like the one at Chef Mickey's, we will be complaining. I don't know about other people, but I don't feel I should have to pay for food that has been contaminated by a utensil from the floor (especially after the staff was notified and did not correct the problem). I feel like this is an instance where guests should be compensated by getting their meal credit back to use somewhere else. Nearly every restaurant has some bad reviews. Chef Mickey had a 4 star rating and number 98 out of 900+ Orlando restaurants. We had no reason to expect the issues we had there.

As for sending food back, I'm hoping we won't need to send any meals back. If they will take the unusual sauces off that will be fine. Many people I know avoid chicken from certain restaurants for the "slug" issue. I literally have never had a chicken sandwich from McDonalds which wasn't largely fat and cartilage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter