I Went Running and Racing...and Boozing and Freezing!

The temperature had warmed up enough outside that the windows stopped sweating, so I was able to hang up our sign before we left!
20171231_160657 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Bathroom Mirror Selfie!
20171231_165250 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We felt like movie stars walking through Pop Century all dressed up while people were walking around in their regular clothes and bathing suits.
20171231_170200 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

20171231_170211 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20171231_170400 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

When we got in line for the bus to MK at 6 p.m. there was another couple right behind us that were very overdressed, too. I heard the wife saying something about the Fantasia Ballroom, and I mentioned we were headed there, too. They were a lovely couple on their Honeymoon, visiting from Australia. We chatted with them on the ride to MK and as we got off the bus, easily found the luxury motor coach that would take us to Disney’s Countdown to Midnight at the Contemporary Convention Center.

While we waited in the motorcoach, we saw the 6:30 Fantasy in the Sky fireworks going off. Before the bus was even half full, we set off for the event. When we arrived, we checked in and were given our entrance number and table assignments for the party. The doors wouldn’t open until 7:45, which Rob kept pointing out would have given us another hour of pool time, but I really wanted to be there early to take it all in!
20171231_173924 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

There were photographers with backdrops set up in two locations, so we took some pictures while there was no wait.
wdw2018001902567913_408427087932 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

With time to spare, we took a stroll through the convention center over to the hotel lobby. We ended up finding two seats at the bar inside The Wave. I found a blue drink with a glow cube on the menu and was sold. If it’s blue and it glows, I’m drinking it. (My working TR title LOL)
Snapchat-679559041 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20171231_182832 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We actually had time to order a second drink before heading back to the convention center. The doors had actually opened early, so we found everyone else at our table was already seated when we made our way into the ballroom. It was GIGANTIC! I couldn’t believe how big the ballroom was and how many people were at this party!! That being said, it never felt too crowded. There were plenty of bar and food stations, as well as two more photo backdrops and a large dance floor that kept everyone spread out enough to really enjoy themselves.
20171231_195653 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
This is not even a good picture of showing how massive the room was!

I discovered the specialty Countdown to Midnight Cocktail and had found my beverage of choice for the evening’s festivities! (Blue. Glowing. Duh!) I was just wishing my glass came with a glow cube, too! C’mon, Disney, for the price tag of this event that would’ve been an awesome addition! (I won't go into detail about how many glow cubes I would have accumulated if this had been an option....)
20171231_185110 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

All of the items on the menu came from Signature restaurants. I loved that the menu was printed on the big card at each place setting, so I could pick and choose which tables I wanted to head to without trying to read the individual signs at each table.
20171231_185212 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20171231_195155 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I loved the presentation of the little soup mugs and salad bubble balls so much, and everything tasted incredible! Normally I don’t like banquet food so much. It always seems to be under or overcooked, as well as a weird temperature, but despite serving all the hundreds of people attending this event, everything was prepared and served perfectly, as if it was made just for you!

20171231_191258 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr://flic.kr/p/21RQRps]20171231_190116[/url] by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20171231_191943 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20171231_201057 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I LOVE their breakfast foods. We had a little snafu with my bachelorette trip where our Flight of Passage fast pass was lost, so my friend booked the river ride, which I have no interest in. So since I have zero interest in waking up after a night of drinking for a 7 am park opening at AK, I decided to skip AK all together (was only going for FOP), and made a breakfast reservation for myself at WCC! I am dreaming of the banana bread french toast as we speak!
I don't think I even realized they were open for breakfast too! Is breakfast as fun with the silliness or more low key??

That is SUCH a bummer!!! But I'm with you. No way I'd get up at 7 a.m. to head there if you don't have to. Banana french toast sounds like a MUCH better plan!!

I found a blue drink with a glow cube on the menu and was sold. If it’s blue and it glows, I’m drinking it. (My working TR title LOL)

:rotfl:

Everything looks amazing!! (I love the little soup mugs!) What a wonderful way to ring in the new year.

We felt like movie stars walking through Pop Century all dressed up while people were walking around in their regular clothes and bathing suits.
Oooh, fancy!

If it’s blue and it glows, I’m drinking it. (My working TR title LOL)
:rotfl: I have some fun ones from Season of the Force (Millennium Falcon and Death Star)

All of the items on the menu came from Signature restaurants. I loved that the menu was printed on the big card at each place setting, so I could pick and choose which tables I wanted to head to without trying to read the individual signs at each table.
I would really appreciate that too! Can focus on things I like without having to wander as much!

After eating, Rob and I hit up the two photo ops—the castle and then topiaries of the main mouse and his main squeeze! While we were waiting, Rob and I noticed everyone was posing the exact same way, just side by side with an arm around each other, or in a total prom pose! He said we should pose like Mickey and Minnie, which sounded so silly to me at the time, but ended up being my most favorite picture from this trip and one of my favs of us EVER! I mean, c’mon, even our leg positioning is on point!
wdw2018001902497953_407619297343 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
wdw2018001902535981_407620688313 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
wdw2018001902536015_408427219397 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

There was a band and a DJ keeping the dance floor filled at all times! The band had about 10 people in it. They put on a good show, but not everything they played was danceable. We preferred the DJ, but still had a great time just being together and listening to the music while enjoying the incredible food and drinks. The disco ball was my favorite part of the ambiance—as evidenced by the 20 pictures I took of it throughout the night! I’ll spare you all of them here, but just look at this thing!!
20171231_203936 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20171231_221348 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20171231_221317 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We got more party hats and a visit from some special guests at 11:30! (Note: When we had bought our tickets for this event, the notes hinted at a special visit from some very important guests. I assumed Mickey and Minnie, but I also thought they would be available for Meet and Greets throughout the night, similar to Mickey’s Backyard BBQ. That was my only disappointment with the event. While we did get to SEE them, for the cost of the event, it really would have nice to be able to meet them in “person” versus topiary form.)
20171231_214815 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20171231_223446 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Around 11:40 p.m. CMs formed a line to start ushering people out into the lobby and outside for the fireworks viewing. For the sheer number of people, things were organized and went very smoothly! There were also two other NYE parties taking place throughout the convention center—the Pixar Family NYE party and Tiana’s New Year’s on the Bayou. Each party emptied outside into its own designated viewing area. While we walked out, we passed a table filled with champagne glasses we were welcome to take out with us.
20171231_223905 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20171231_224204 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I’m not sure why I grabbed all of my stuff on the way out because I look a bit like a hobo in these pictures, but it ended up being a good thing when it was time to leave—more on that in a moment!
20171231_224051 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

It was a beautiful angle to watch the fireworks with the Contemporary Christmas tree in front of us and the castle peeking out in the distance.
20171231_225758 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Just us and a few of our closest friends ready to celebrate the new year!
20171231_230043 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Following the fireworks, CMs were suddenly everywhere ushering people toward awaiting shuttle buses with giant signs noting which buses would stop at which resort. I was thankful to have had all my stuff with me, so I wouldn’t have to make my way back to the ballroom to collect anything.

We got on the bus and took the first two seats. It took no time at all for the bus to fill up and pull out onto the road. BUT we were stuck in all of the Magic Kingdom traffic and general NYE traffic on the roads, so it ended up taking almost an hour to get back to Pop Century, including a stop at Caribbean Beach.

My dancing shoes were all tuckered out, so I have never been so thankful for how spotlessly clean Disney keeps its walkways. We walked back to the room (barefoot for me!) and went straight to bed. Happy 2018!

20171231_175712 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

That's because you're smart enough to go when they don't need to have gigantic buses out to transport the crowds!! LOL
Ha! I guess so!

We will definitely go back for a try at dinner. Ketchup Jail was just a box on the wall outside the doors to the kitchen. But I liked that she called it that :)
I am surprised they didn't make it an actual Jail. Seems like something they would do.

39546867455_efe829b926_z.jpg
I spy an elf!

Keeping it classy still, I see! Pearls and Miller Lite!

Love this pic! You guys always look like you are having a great time.

I’m not sure why I grabbed all of my stuff on the way out because I look a bit like a hobo in these pictures, but it ended up being a good thing when it was time to leave—more on that in a moment!
I started readying this, I totally thought you were going to say that you took a bunch of champagne glasses!

My dancing shoes were all tuckered out, so I have never been so thankful for how spotlessly clean Disney keeps its walkways. We walked back to the room (barefoot for me!) and went straight to bed. Happy 2018!
Walking barefoot back from the bus to the hotel room became a nightly ritual for the girls.

And you looked it, too! :thumbsup2

but I really wanted to be there early to take it all in!
I would have done the same :wizard:

If it’s blue and it glows, I’m drinking it. (My working TR title LOL)
:rotfl:

LOVE this picture!

What a magical evening! The place looked amazing and I would have danced my shoes off, too :laughing:

Wow - you two look fancy! Sounds like a fun night and a great way to welcome the new year!

I spy an elf!

Keeping it classy still, I see! Pearls and Miller Lite!

Love this pic! You guys always look like you are having a great time.

I loved those elves!! I wanted to take one for a souvenir :)

Always finding ways to class up my Miller LOL

Thanks!! :) We are pretty fun!

You looked stunning, the both of you!

Aww, thanks so much!!!

LOVE this picture!

What a magical evening! The place looked amazing and I would have danced my shoes off, too :laughing:
Thanks so much!! :) It was incredible!!! I'm so glad we spent the money and actually did this because it really was an awesome night!

I had no idea NYE parties were a thing at Disney! Very cool!
It was expensive, but definitely worth it!!! If our son was with us, we would've tried out the Pixar Family party--it sounded SO fun, but I thought we'd be out of place just the two of us LOL

Wow - you two look fancy! Sounds like a fun night and a great way to welcome the new year!
Thanks :) It was so fun to get all dressed up and go out but still have the magical touches of Disney. It was expensive, but definitely worth every penny!

While we were waiting, Rob and I noticed everyone was posing the exact same way, just side by side with an arm around each other, or in a total prom pose! He said we should pose like Mickey and Minnie, which sounded so silly to me at the time, but ended up being my most favorite picture from this trip and one of my favs of us EVER! I mean, c’mon, even our leg positioning is on point!
Awesome! They look great! You should print it out and get it framed!

We got more party hats and a visit from some special guests at 11:30! (Note: When we had bought our tickets for this event, the notes hinted at a special visit from some very important guests. I assumed Mickey and Minnie, but I also thought they would be available for Meet and Greets throughout the night, similar to Mickey’s Backyard BBQ. That was my only disappointment with the event. While we did get to SEE them, for the cost of the event, it really would have nice to be able to meet them in “person” versus topiary form.)
Yeah, that would be a bit disappointing!

My dancing shoes were all tuckered out, so I have never been so thankful for how spotlessly clean Disney keeps its walkways. We walked back to the room (barefoot for me!) and went straight to bed.
Haha, yeah, sounds like something I would have done too!

We got on the bus and took the first two seats. It took no time at all for the bus to fill up and pull out onto the road. BUT we were stuck in all of the Magic Kingdom traffic and general NYE traffic on the roads, so it ended up taking almost an hour to get back to Pop Century, including a stop at Caribbean Beach.
You know, it seems to me WDW should have special lanes for inter-resort buses on NYE. A way to add value to getting an on-site hotel room!

They look great! You should print it out and get it framed!
Thanks!! That's the plan. I'm waiting for Shutterfly to have another sale on their big canvas prints!

You know, it seems to me WDW should have special lanes for inter-resort buses on NYE. A way to add value to getting an on-site hotel room!
I was thinking the same thing that night, especially while we were crawling along getting nowhere fast!

A little late, but following along and all caught up. I loved your vow renewal TR and I can't wait to read about the rest of this trip too!

The NYE party looks like a great time and I love the dress you picked!

A little late, but following along and all caught up. I loved your vow renewal TR and I can't wait to read about the rest of this trip too!
You're not late, it just took me four months to get started LOL Thanks for coming along!! :)

The NYE party looks like a great time and I love the dress you picked!
It was seriously SO much fun!! Thank you! :lovestruc

Monday, January 1st

This morning we had a 10:15 reservation, which would again bring out the first grade girl in me! When Disney announced the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno, I hoped it would still be available on my next trip! It was a MUST for me on ADR day and I was so excited it ended up being an easy one to get. Prince Eric, here I come! (Cue delightful squealing!)

As we walked out of our room this morning, it was evident that the weather was shifting. The pool was closed and very steamy in the air hanging over the water. We were on a bus to DHS by 9:20. It was very cloudy and lightly misting. Rob was wearing one of his favorite shirts (which I DID NOT know he packed and made him keep his sweatshirt zipped so we wouldn’t be asked to leave LOL)—Hey, Princess, go get me a beer!
20180101_081947 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We got a little turned around with all of the construction in the turn around area, but eventually found the walkway toward the Boardwalk. The mist got a little stronger by the time we actually made it to the front of the restaurant. I hoped it would be better after breakfast.
20180101_084935 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We checked in at 9:49 for our 10:15 reservation. There were A LOT of people waiting in the lobby, so I was thinking we might be waiting for awhile. They actually told us that when I checked in, too. But within just a few minutes of finding a corner to warm up/dry off in we were called to enter the dining area.

Our frying pan o’ pastries was brought out almost immediately. We met our waitress and then she disappeared for about 20 minutes. We hadn’t gotten drinks at this point either. She was really nice and very friendly…when she appeared. But, she was M.I.A. for long stretches during our entire meal. Eventually we did get to order and our food came out correctly and so delicious! I ordered a peach bellini (with a Pascal glow clip for Jimmy—I asked if it was at all possible and she was so happy to say it wouldn’t be a problem) that was a really nice touch to the meal. I can’t even believe this is what I ordered for breakfast, but everything was seriously SO good!
20180101_090435 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180101_092906 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180101_093038 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Sadly, the rain flattened and frizzified my hair, but other than that our meets with the gals and their respective guys were really great. I loved Rob and Rapunzel, and especially Flynn’s smolder, but nothing made me happier than meeting Prince Eric, the first Disney prince I ever loved! LOL He was incredibly sweet and happy to sign Jimmy’s autograph book, too.
20180101_094518 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180101_094834 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180101_095654 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

When we finally tracked down our waitress to take care of our bill (and she FINALLY tracked down a device that worked to scan our bands for the DDP) we were back on our way to DHS. The rain hadn’t stopped as I’d hoped, and in fact was coming down hard enough that I decided to put my poncho on.

I noticed Donald and Daisy were meeting together as we entered the park, so you know I dragged Rob over to get in line! When we were the next in line, Donald and Daisy had to go for a cookie break (ducks eat cookies?!) but we knew they’d be right back. I was NOT pleased when Daisy came back alone and we were told Donald wouldn’t be joining her. Such a bummer. At first I sent Rob up to do the meet alone because I was pouting (must be my first grade self again…) but I got in on the fun after all!
20180101_104446 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
wdw2018001902782079_407631360293 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Our next stop was our first FP for the afternoon, Tower of Terror. The weather added to the spookiness of the queue and even spookier still is what we saw as we rounded the last corner in the line before heading into the lobby of the hotel. There are the end of the walkway where there is usually a vacant bench sat these two…
20180101_111037 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
I have never seen or read of anyone else posting about them. Streetmosphere getting out of the rain?? They were sitting perfectly still with these expressions the entire time we could see them before entering the building! #yikes

The CM who was loading the elevators was awesome—he was completely stone cold serious in everything he was saying. I wanted to get a picture of him in front of the elevator and nearly blinded the poor man when I didn’t realize my flash was on. Ugh!! He didn’t skip a beat just monotonely saying, “I said, ‘no flash photography.”
20180101_111656 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

After our elevator ride, we had a FP for Muppetvision but didn’t really feel like heading in that direction. While trying to determine what to do next, we heard the sounds of Star Wars and spotted storm troopers, so we quickly stood to the side and snapped some pictures to show Jimmy of some of his and Daddy’s favorites.
20180101_113058 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180101_113109 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180101_113119 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We didn’t have FPs for TSMM on this trip, but wandered through Pixar Place and checked on Cruz Ramirez and the Piston Cup (but they wouldn’t let Rob go by the cup….which I thought was weird).
20180101_114320 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

As we headed out of the area, a Green Army man sized up Rob and made him remove his hat. They saluted each other and then I was able to snap a pic.
20180101_114442 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

It was very sad to walk past the Great Movie Ride and know we couldn’t ride and that it was probably dismantled already as we were standing outside. That has been one of Jimmy’s favorites since his very first trip as a two year old, so it was definitely bittersweet. He is going to love the new Mickey ride, I’m sure, but the GMR was just filled with so many great memories for us.
20180101_120928 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I had hoped we’d be able to take a mid-afternoon break at the hotel, but it was looking like we might not have enough time if we didn’t get on our way soon. Before heading out of the park, I decided we should check out One Man’s Dream, a must do for me! There was a PP photographer hiding from the rain in the entryway, so he took a picture of us in front of one of my favorite pictures of Walt. Rob thought I was ridiculous for wanting to stop here, but I know @buzzrelly agrees with me that this was a MUST!
wdw2018001902820637_407633098397 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I thought Rob might want to meet Star Lord and Groot, but he said he hadn’t seen either movie and didn’t want to wait. (That hadn’t stopped me from making us wait to meet Moana last year, but I didn’t really care either, so off we went).

Heading out of the park, we walked past the meet and greet for Sorcerer Mickey and red carpet Minnie. It said 20 minutes and I had really wanted to meet Sorcerer Mickey so he could sign that page in Jimmy’s book. We decided we would do this meet and then definitely head back to the hotel for a bit to dry off and warm up! It ended up being an almost 40 minute wait—ugh! But every time I started to think about getting out of line, we’d move up and I’d feel like we were almost there.

It ended up being totally worth the wait!! Minnie LOVED my crown and made a big deal about it!
wdw2018001902872115_8170055768 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr wdw2018001902872123_8170056522 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Then, we headed down the hall to see Mickey and that’s when I realized why things were taking so long. The line was almost the entire length of the hallway from meeting Minnie down to where you’d meet Mickey. We waited in there for a good 15 minutes, too. But, Mickey really made the meet special! We asked him to sign Jimmy’s book and said he was at home, but Mickey kept gesturing to Rob and insisting this was really HIS autograph book and he must’ve been too shy to ask for himself. LOL
wdw2018001902878632_8170028660 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I felt like I was intruding on ROB’s meet! Mickey kept me at arms-length away and eventually pushed me out of the picture all together so he and Rob could do “Mickey magic” together!
wdw2018001902878639_8170024256 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
wdw2018001902878636_8170027033 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

My only regret….I put this incredible border image on it…..and it was taken in two thousand EIGHTEEN!!! Duh, me!!
wdw2018001902878646_8170028053 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Anyway, I was so excited to show Jimmy this bunch of pictures, but they never showed up on MDE. I kept thinking they would be there when we got home and I could actually log in at the computer, but once we got home I noticed they were still missing. (Funny enough, the last thing that happened before we left the meet was the PP photographer having a hard time with his scanner. Mickey came closer and gave Rob a nudge to “Mickey magic” the scanner. It beeped and we were on our way thinking Mickey saved the day!) I was really sad, but the tech people at Disney are amazing. They couldn’t locate my pictures, but made a work order ticket and said someone would get back to me. I sort of crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, but didn’t really think I’d hear from them (kind of like the lost phone on Rock’n Rollercoaster I never got back in 2016!) The very next day I received an email that said my pictures had been located and were now available in MDE!! They even credited me with providing them the information about exactly what time we’d met Mickey because that is how they narrowed the search enough to find our pics!! God Bless this selfie!!
20180101_125455 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Finally heading toward the park exit, we knew our break would be short, but still so necessary! We stopped for PP pics by the Route 66 sign (near the luggage from the Tower of Terror movie--Rob is convinced I am the only person in the world who a) wants to watch that movie, b) actually owns their own copy (on DVD and VHS), and c) has ever noticed (or cared!) that the luggage tags say Caroline Crosson and Gilbert London).

Of course, none of that information matters at all because the magic shot that SHOULD have been Rob holding mistletoe, instead makes it look like he is picking something out of my hair. #smh
wdw2018001902815681_407632611443 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We saw the March of the First Order as we made our way out.
20180101_130057 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180101_130107 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

At 3:02 we were back in our toasty room at Pop Century drying out our ponchos and warming up our toes! When I’d originally planned this day, we were supposed to have a late lunch/early dinner at Hollywood and Vine (Rob’s fav) but yesterday afternoon sometime we had decided we were trying to squeeze too much into this day. I had cancelled it and as we were lounging in our room watching trash on the TV and warming up, I was really glad to be there! At 5:15 we were heading back to DHS with an additional layer of sweatshirts on.

20180101_140235 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20180101_161852 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Hi :wave: Joining in. I'm loving your trip report. I love Disney at Christmas time but I've never the week you are there. I just don't think my family would do great with the crowds. The New Year's Eve party looked like a lot of fun. I can't wait to read more.

All that food looks DELICIOUS!

Love the NY's photos - you both look very dashing.

The encounter with Mickey seems so sweet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!