I was so excited for our first DVC/WDW trip - now, my DH just lost his job.

So sorry to hear about your husband's job situation; but happy to hear that you are moving forward with a new venture. Best of luck with it!!

I am in the camp to discuss it as a team. You can still make it a special surprise (just announced a bit early), and get his perspective on cash flow, time available and the like. If you jointly decide to go then it will be all the more special because the two of you will make it happen.

Remember the important thing is not the size or amount of the gift but the thought that went into it.

Best wishes :)

Sorry to hear about your husband. We went through the same thing 4.5 years ago when my husband had a injury and could not work and I was just starting in the Appraisal business myself and was pregnant with my daughter.....very stressfull time. But funny thing everything worked out for the better. I think things are meant to be sometimes. Best of luck to you and your family.

I strongly vote for going AND for keeping it a surprise until Christmas. Your main expenses have been paid for, and you can have inexpensive meals, including a couple of nice candlelight dinners in the villa on the cheap.

If the situation was such that you could get a total refund, I would suggest discussing with your husband and probably cancelling. Under these circumstances, though, I think keeping your original plan for the surprise and going on the trip is the way to go.

Have fun!!

dianeschlicht said:
If it were me, I would probably tell him about the trip and let him help make the financial decision about going or not. Since much of the cost has already been spent and not refundable, the two of you can decide if the additional costs of going will be able to be handled.

Excellent advice. I have on a few occasions in my life (with my wife of 32 years) been suddenly without income. I feel for your situation, but first let me say that your support and confidence in your husband is very important. Be open with him, and together consider the pros and cons of this vacation. It may be just the guilt free getaway needed at that time to re-energize or it just may be a celebration vacation. Many people discover that DVC is just what offers the relief when you couldn't normally afford it. We certainly have. Talk to your DH and as best you can give him confidence and support.
I have learned that almost every situation turns out better than your imagination presents. Tell him, talk to him, support him, and look to your better future. Life WILL get better. Good Luck.

1) I guess I am of a different mind (been told that a lot).
2) I would tell him NOW, NOW, NOW!
3) Family finances and major decisions are what marriages are about.
4) You should JOINTLY make this decision.
5) My thoughts are
. . . I would go, since the funds cannot be retrieved
. . . I would limit my park days, to conserve money
. . . I would eat often in the room to conserve money
6) You said it takes a while to get established
7) You SHOULD NOT kill the household budget

Well, this is what I told him tonight:

1. I have a big surprise for him (and us) as a Christmas gift.

2. The total cost of the surprise is $1600.

3. I've already paid $984 towards the total, which can't be refunded.

So now he knows about everything except what the actual surprise is. This way I can still keep the actual gift as a surprise, without surprising him with the big expense too.

He wasn't angry, thank goodness. He felt that $1600 wasn't going to make or break us in the next 6 months. Actually, I got his curiosity up, and he started to guess what his surprise is, which was actually kind of fun. His best guess so far is it's a plasma television. :rotfl:

So, so far so good. I just hope and pray nothing else unexpected comes up (unless it's something good). :goodvibes

I'm glad you're together on this. :thumbsup2

As you probably know if you've been there before, WDW is a money vacuum that attempts to start sucking the legal tender out of you from the time you drive under the Mickey sign. So you're gonna have to be strict about your budget. Knowing my family, I would prepare for an extra $400 for unplanned expenses.

If the real estate business is as good in Spokane as it was when we lived there in the early '90's, your husband should do well. We lived in the Valley -- in the Ponderosa. If I still lived there I don't know if I would be a DVC member. :scared1: It's so beautiful and there is so much to do and see. I would love to move back but it's too far from family for us.

disney-super-mom said:
His best guess so far is it's a plasma television. :rotfl:

Oh, I HOPE you let him know that wasn't it! I'd hate to hear about how he was disappointed in a trip to disney because he got his hopes up for a plasma tv!!! (I don't think I know a guy that would rather have a trip to disney than a plasma tv. Heck, I don't think there's anything they'd rather have than a plasma!! :lmao: )

I think that you did the right thing telling (sort of) your DH. My DH and I discuss everything and sometimes openness means more than a surprise.

My DH recently lost his job as well. We had a 14 night DVC stay planned for Christmas and had to cancel it. Luckily, he got a new job about 4 weeks later. It's just going to be slow going for a while. We tried to rent out ourpoints, but that didn't work out, so we used our points for a 4 night Disney cruise. His boss is pretty great about time off, even though he won't have any vacation coming for a while.

clutter said:
Oh, I HOPE you let him know that wasn't it! I'd hate to hear about how he was disappointed in a trip to disney because he got his hopes up for a plasma tv!!! (I don't think I know a guy that would rather have a trip to disney than a plasma tv. Heck, I don't think there's anything they'd rather have than a plasma!! :lmao: )

nookie, but other than that, nope.

Shucks, crisi -- are we THAT transparent???

Yeah, I guess so... :rolleyes:

You need to tell him at once. Go do it right now.

Okay done. Good. Now secondly:

TAKE THE TRIP !!!!!!

I have been there and he probably needs a break as losing a job is a big downer.

While another door usually opens, it can take a toll on you (him). You two could probably use some time to clear your head and since the trip is already paid for I would not think twice about going.

I am sure all will end well.

Good Luck

1st Nice job on telling him about the cash outlay and keeping the trip as a surprise at the same time.

2nd You have most of the trip paid for. If you had said that room, airfare and food would go on the credit card I would of said reschedule.

3rd Your DH already has another job lined up.

4th There is always a reason not to take a trip. Go, go go on this one. Time slips by so fast. You can cut back on some of the trimmings in the next couple of months.

The trip for you and DH will be priceless. Have a great trip!

I say take the trip!! Also, my DH must be quite unusual because he would take WDW over a plasma....goodluck if he keeps trying to figure this out!

Forever a Princess said:
1st Nice job on telling him about the cash outlay and keeping the trip as a surprise at the same time.
HOWEVER...if you hear him inviting all the guys to your house to watch the Super Bowl, it's time to come clean! ;)

Well shoot, he guessed it. :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least he knows everything now.

He's very EXCITED about the trip for "just us". :love2: :teeth:

He even said he would ride the Tower of Terror and Rock-n-Roller coaster with me. Hmmmmmm, I wasn't planning on going to MGM, but I may have to rethink that. :goodvibes What's happening to my DH - the chicken? He would never ride those rides before. Well, I guess after you lose your job, those rides seem like a piece of cake in the great scheme of things. :rotfl:

Thanks everyone! You've all been awesome! :grouphug:

disney-super-mom said:
Well shoot, he guessed it. :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least he knows everything now.

He's very EXCITED about the trip for "just us". :love2: :teeth:

He even said he would ride the Tower of Terror and Rock-n-Roller coaster with me. Hmmmmmm, I wasn't planning on going to MGM, but I may have to rethink that. :goodvibes What's happening to my DH - the chicken? He would never ride those rides before. Well, I guess after you lose your job, those rides seem like a piece of cake in the great scheme of things. :rotfl:

Thanks everyone! You've all been awesome! :grouphug:

Best wishes!!

Bobbi :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter