I was so excited for our first DVC/WDW trip - now, my DH just lost his job.

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
I was sooooo excited about making our first trip to WDW in January; our first trip away from our kids (just a couples only, romantic getaway for us); staying at SSR; checking out all the other DVC resorts; and surprising my DH with all this as his Christmas gift.

But, my DH lost his job on Tuesday (cut backs due to low sales) and I'm a stay at home mom, so I don't bring in any income. :sad1:

Now, I'm having a really hard time. I don't know if I should tell him about it or if I should still keep it a secret and surprise him with it for his Christmas gift?

Part of me says we shouldn't go because we could have serious money issues, job issues, and everything else that goes along with losing your livelihood.

The other part of me says that I should keep it as a secret and just go forward with everything as planned because:

1. The money is already spent on the trip for our studio at SSR (rented a reservation) and for our flight. We can't get the money back - we could postpone I suppose, but why? Would it really make a difference if we went in May instead of January? Not really since as I said, the money is already spent.

2. Maybe now is the time that we'll need this little 4 night trip the most. It gives us a little something to look forward to.

I just hate this feeling of insecurity. It really takes the joy out of things that should be fun - like a nice Christmas for the kids, and our special trip to SSR. Bummer. :sad2:

I can completely understand your financial concerns, but as you stated, you cannot get the money back. This trip could be a blessing in disguise to take you away from the stresses you are facing. The pros may outweigh the cons. Always remember, as long as you have your health, other things just have a way of working themselves out. Good Luck!! pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

so sorry to hear of your setback - but your trip may be just what you need when the time comes - and whats to say that your situation might not change for the better before your trip is scheduled.

since you can't get the $$ back, i'd take that as a sign that the trip was meant to be. maybe a higher power has designed for you to be at disney at that time!

we all have had our financial dilemnas and most have found a way to overcome them - i hope yours are not deep or long - and i hope you find the way and the reason to keep your reservation.

Maybe he'll get a job before December and you won't have to say anything at all!

Deb

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's job situation, but since the money has been spent and is non-refundable, it would be a nice diversion for you. And, as other posters have mentioned, maybe by then he will have another job opportunity. Hugs and prayers to you and your family. :grouphug:

Super-mom, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

While I am always "for" someone going to WDW, there is one other thing you probably should think about. WHat if DH gets a new job right away. :wizard: Will he be able to take the time off to go on the trip?

I hope everything works out for the best. Remember what they say: one door closes and another opens! :goodvibes

I'm really sorry about DH's job and your situation. I do hope everything works out for the best.

As for what to do - I'm in a totally different place than everyone else who has posted about what to do.

First of all, I would never keep a potential financial situation a secret from my spouse. Christmas present, yes. But spending money with no income, never. Your own personal situation could vary of course, maybe you have a lot of money stashed away or another source of income, but for my house, it would have to be a joint decision to move forward with the plans.

As for the plane tickets, I think you can cancel the flights and get a transferable voucher, depending on the airline. I have done it before and then have sold the voucher to someone who was flying. They can use the voucher and would just have to pay the difference for their fllight.

And then the person who rented you points, well, it would depend on their agreement with you and the cancellation clauses. They are still outside of their 30 days window, so perhaps they could easily re-rent the points.

Anyway - like I said - I'm in a different space here than the others about revealing the plans. We have been through two layoffs here, and layoffs to us have meant an immediate reconfiguration of finances and spending, with all non-essential spending on hold.

Still sending pixie dust for the best possible outcome. :wizard:

I would have to echo what Kathleena has said. There is no way I would be able to go and have a nice time not knowing how I was going to pay for the trip or where future monies would be coming from. I would also have to agree that you could get a travel voucher for the airfare. I would check into the rental agreement between you and the DVC person. Also did you already purchase your tickets? Whenever we have gone down to WDW we always spend more money than we had hoped. The food, tickets, etc. are a major expense. Really I think of the airfare as the cheapest part of the trip. Also we are DVC so I have already "paid" for that part of the trip a long time ago. Good luck with your decision. I just personally would not be able to go and have a good time with having no "income" coming in. Tell your husband and make the decision together. Good luck and sorry for your troubles.:guilty:

If it were me, I would probably tell him about the trip and let him help make the financial decision about going or not. Since much of the cost has already been spent and not refundable, the two of you can decide if the additional costs of going will be able to be handled.

A couple of years ago, my husband was out of work. We also had a trip planned, not to Disney but to Ft. Lauderdale. Our lodging and flights were already paid for, we did continue and went on the trip. Instead of eating out we ate in for each meal. Purchased foods that we could cook in the microwave, since we didn't have a stove. Really enjoyed just hanging out at the resort and relaxing, it was perfect. Now on the other hand, with Disney if you choice to purchase tickets to the parks that cost really adds up, so I would have to think twice. If you are alright with just relaxing at the resort than I would continue with your plans.

Good luck with your decision, I would also discuss the trip with your husband, that way the two of you can decide together, and you're not making this decision yourself.

That really stinks...thank corporate America. Keep the faith, I'm sure he will find something out there. As far as the trip goes......I would keep it. Since its already paid for and your DH made need the trip..take it.
Good Luck
Brownie

I'll agree with Katheleena as well. Unless you have other income, a lot of savings, or are fairly sure this is a short term situation, I'd at least tell your husband now and let him be involved in the decision.

Best wishes. A number of years ago my husband was put on 30 day notice - at day 28 he was reorganized. Those 28 days were really hard - and caused us to completely change our financial life.

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement and advice. :grouphug:

Looks like DH is going back into real estate appraisals with my brother. My brother owns his own appraisal company in Scottsdale, AZ and he's now in the process of opening a second appraisal company here in Spokane. My DH worked for my brother for 2 years in Arizona as an appraiser, so he's going to dust off his appraisal skills and get back into it here in Spokane.

This is good and bad news. It's good because it's not retail or sales (thank goodness), and once you get established, you can make a great living.

The bad part is that it can take some time to get established, so we may have a few lean months ahead when it comes to income.

I still can't decided if I should tell him about his surprise Christmas gift now or not. I soooooo want it to be a BIG surprise for him on Christmas! SSR and WDW sounds like just the ticket for us to have our first "alone" time together in eight years.

It won't be a problem to get the time off to go since DH will essentially be his own boss. Also, I already have $400 saved for our food/drink, and we would be doing the DDP.

I just don't know what to do here. There's still a lot or "what ifs" , both good or bad, that could happen.

Maybe I should wait until after Thanksgiving, see where we are, and decide then? :confused3

Go on the trip. I for one get PANICKED about financial situations, but I still say, you will need the vacation. Things have a way of working themselves out. What if your DH's new career goes SO well that you dont get to take another vacation for a whole year?? Either way, you deserve it. If most of the vacation is already paid for, the little extra that you may spend will probably not break you.
Best of luck to you guys!

I would discuss with your hubby. He may have a work plan in his head that a vacation could mess up. Also, you REALLY need to be having a discussion with whoever you rented your points from. Depending on their banking deadlines and use year, it may be impossible to re-schedule that trip withou the member taking a really big hit.

mikesmom said:
I would discuss with your hubby. He may have a work plan in his head that a vacation could mess up. Also, you REALLY need to be having a discussion with whoever you rented your points from. Depending on their banking deadlines and use year, it may be impossible to re-schedule that trip withou the member taking a really big hit.
I'm not letting our misfortune spill over to the wonderful owner who rented us a reservation. If it turns out that we can't go, and if we can't reschedule because of the owner's banking deadlines, then we'll take the loss. I don't want the owner to be affected by any of this. :)

Sorry about your husbands job. I think I would tell him and both of you decide what to do. At least he will know how much he meant to you. I know my husband and I have stressful jobs even though we work together. When we go to Disney World things sometimes just seem a little clearer. We usually come back with a plan to do something different. It always seems to be removed from the situation to figure out some things. Hope it all works out.

First and foremost I would tell your husband. Since he is the breadwinner in your house he may be figuring out how to generate income while the new venture is picking up steam. By surprising him you aren't giving him the opportunity to avoid a conflict. That's one thing when you have a steady job and pre-determined vacation time but quite another when you dont know what you'll be doing day to day.

Aside from that I'd extend the length of the trip at a non-DVC hotel.

My DH lost his job 2 yrs ago and we went on our Disney trip and had a great time....If he is up for it I say...GO

zurgswife said:
My DH lost his job 2 yrs ago and we went on our Disney trip and had a great time....If he is up for it I say...GO

(Actually I think it was more then one Disney trip!) :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter