I suspect Riviera must not be selling as well as they hoped it would

You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's just a nut and think nothing of it.

And if two people do it, they may think they're both idiots and they'll just ignore both of them.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkin' in, dropping a deposit on DDR and walkin' out? They may think it's an Organization!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day walkin' in, dropping a deposit on DDR and walkin' out? Friends they may think it's a Movement. And that's what it would be, the Drewferin anti-resale restriction movement! And all you gotta do to join is to call a DVC guide and join in!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist...and with all apologies to Arlo Guthrie).

Let's just call this the "Free POS cheaply made backpack campaign" :)

You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's just a nut and think nothing of it.

And if two people do it, they may think they're both idiots and they'll just ignore both of them.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkin' in, dropping a deposit on DDR and walkin' out? They may think it's an Organization!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day walkin' in, dropping a deposit on DDR and walkin' out? Friends they may think it's a Movement. And that's what it would be, the Drewferin anti-resale restriction movement! And all you gotta do to join is to call a DVC guide and join in!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist...and with all apologies to Arlo Guthrie).
In three part harmony!

The notice was there for months, if you didn't see it by now you never would notice it. DVC even sent out emails about it. It is far from being sneaky.

I wasn’t trying to imply it was sneaky. I was just asking if people thought it meant anything or if they just took it down.

The notice was there for months, if you didn't see it by now you never would notice it. DVC even sent out emails about it. It is far from being sneaky.
Not every member visits the website regularly. Some only visit it when they are ready to book a trip and there are others that never do. I don’t consider it “sneaky” that they took the notice down but it is curious.

Went to Disneyland yesterday and stopped by a DVC kiosk just to look at pics with my son because we had time to kill. The girl who worked there asked if I was interested in DVC. I said we are considering it and I’d talked to a phone agent and I just couldn’t see buying Riviera even though I liked the resort because I felt the resale restrictions would devalue my purchase.

She got kinda uncomfortable and said her understanding is those restrictions were to help the resort maintain its exclusivity so that only DVC members could stay there. I told her I felt like it was buying a car but if resold it, the manufacturer would remove the a/c and power options. Of course the value of the car would go down and I couldn’t see buying into that. She said that’s not how she understood it and would be talking to her manager for more info.

Honestly, her answer about the exclusivity almost bothered me more. Wouldn’t want the resale peons swimming in the Riviera pool. It seemed so classist. Not very Disney, IMHO.

Went to Disneyland yesterday and stopped by a DVC kiosk just to look at pics with my son because we had time to kill. The girl who worked there asked if I was interested in DVC. I said we are considering it and I’d talked to a phone agent and I just couldn’t see buying Riviera even though I liked the resort because I felt the resale restrictions would devalue my purchase.

She got kinda uncomfortable and said her understanding is those restrictions were to help the resort maintain its exclusivity so that only DVC members could stay there. I told her I felt like it was buying a car but if resold it, the manufacturer would remove the a/c and power options. Of course the value of the car would go down and I couldn’t see buying into that. She said that’s not how she understood it and would be talking to her manager for more info.

Honestly, her answer about the exclusivity almost bothered me more. Wouldn’t want the resale peons swimming in the Riviera pool. It seemed so classist. Not very Disney, IMHO.

I'd have asked then why anyone could book the resort on cash reservation before it went on sale and before any DVC members could? The Kiosk people are not guides although I bet guides have their own interesting "reasons" on why DVC changed things with Riviera.

Of course her answer is not why they have done it.

Bored on the OCC website today. 491 deeds already recorded, the largest purchase was a Grand Villa guaranteed Week 51, or 1235 points. 73 50 point contracts recorded.

How many 75 or 100 point contracts were posted on the OCC website? 50 points at RIV sure wont get you that many nights in a studio. 50 points would really only get you maybe 2 nights a year in a preferred studio.

I'd have asked then why anyone could book the resort on cash reservation before it went on sale and before any DVC members could? The Kiosk people are not guides although I bet guides have their own interesting "reasons" on why DVC changed things with Riviera.

Of course her answer is not why they have done it.

I could tell I'd flustered her and I knew she was not a guide so I didn't want to go back in at her. I haven't had this conversation with the guide I spoke to yet. I want to think about what really works for us some more first before I approach her on that. I think really buying at the Poly suits us best, but I can't see paying direct prices for that despite wanting the membership benefits.

What do you think the guides would give as a reason? I'd totally respect if they said, we want to protect our direct sales. I wouldn't like it, but I'd respect it. I don't respect the answer she gave. I feel that it contradicts their brand.

It will be interesting if DVCNews (who has historical data) will compare the first month of sales of DRR vs other resorts.

This is what I'm interested in... But there are so many factors in play will be interesting to tease apart. The economy plays a huge role in TS sales generally, not even dvc is recession-proof.

How many 75 or 100 point contracts were posted on the OCC website? 50 points at RIV sure wont get you that many nights in a studio. 50 points would really only get you maybe 2 nights a year in a preferred studio.
73 50pt contracts
49 75pt contracts
46 100pt contracts
57 150 pt contracts
64 200 pt contracts.
25 250 pt contracts
39 contracts over 250 pts

Those are the most popular "chunks" of contracts that I see. These are also just the ones recorded, I'm sure there's more sales in the pipeline. The numbers might not be 100% accurate, I'm just finding a common doc deed tax and counting those up as the same size contract. If incentives expired it may skew the numbers, but I'm not going to put that much time into this.

Last edited:
It will be interesting if DVCNews (who has historical data) will compare the first month of sales of DRR vs other resorts.

That's easy to figure out using the OCC website as well. First Copper Creek Deed was recorded 4/14/2017. 571 deeds were recorded between 4/14/2017 and 5/31/2017. Giving an extra 2 weeks for the paperwork seems reasonable to guess at the first month sales. Obviously some sales are broken up into smaller contracts, but I'm not going that far down analyzing this sort of data.

First Riviera contract was recorded 4/12/2009 and through today there's been 491 deeds recorded. So it's possible the Riviera will record more deeds in it's first 6 weeks than CCV did.

edit: I went back and looked at Bay Lake since I own there. 10/31/2008 to 11/30/2008 they recorded 1,377 deeds.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter