I never understood

Disnerd6838

Mouseketeer
Why does Peter Pan consistently have one of the longest lines in Magic Kingdom? Do children still watch Peter Pan these days with all of the newer movies available? It's always seemed odd to me..

Why does Peter Pan consistently have one of the longest lines in Magic Kingdom? Do children still watch Peter Pan these days with all of the newer movies available? It's always seemed odd to me..
It’s a low capacity ride. Those boats only hold 2 to 3 and the ride itself is slow. That contributes to the lines. But yes, kids still watch it and love it. As do the adults.

Yes, it's an interesting phenomenon. At Disneyland in California, too, it's the ride that you need to get to first at rope drop because there is no FP there and the line builds up very quickly indeed. I guess it's the combination of an absolutely classic Disney story, a very well-done ride that has stood the test of time, a huge nostalgia factor, and the fact that it is fairly slow-loading.

I thought a lot of it had to do with Tinkerbell’s huge populatity. Kinda like a princess but not one.

My kids love Peter Pan still and did even when very young. I still love watching it. Prob in my top 5 movies for Disney.

Nostalgia. Disney magic. Peter Pan’s Flight opened the day Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 (and the day Disneyland opened in 1955.) It’s a piece of Disney history and such a treasure. It’s our family’s only absolutely can’t miss attraction. Innovative for its time, sparks your imagination. It is quintessential Disney for us and for many others.

Last edited:

My 3 year old granddaughter loves the Peter Pan movie and the ride. She rode it seven times during DAH this summer and says its one of her favorite rides. My 15 year old loves the ride too (she inherited my Disney gene). We only ride it at rope drop or with a FP usually. We wont wait more than 25 minutes for it. We plan on riding several times during EMM in Dec. but that will likely be the only time. As long as we get one or two rides aa trip we are good. I think sometimes the line gets so long just because people who have not ridden it hear it is a must do and don't realize how short the ride is for the wait.

I felt it was never really long until it got FP. Same with Soaceship Earth.

It's a great ride (our favourite queue), however the long line is directly to do with hourly ride capacity. Most estimate that Peter Pan has an hourly ride capacity of about 750 people. In contrast to other hourly ride capacities like:

Small World - 3000
Haunted Mansion - 3200
Pirates - 3200

So, with the ability to load 4 times as many people as Peter Pan, it goes to follow that these rides have wait times that are only about 1/4 of Peter Pan's. Make sense?

It’s not always busy. We strolled up to Peter Pan right after the fireworks one night in early June and found a 40 minute posted wait. There were actually only about 10 guests in line and the wait was less than a minute.

I felt it was never really long until it got FP.

In my experience it was always long, but got longer with FP (just like all the rides that weren’t FP rides then got it) It was a long line even in 2010 during our first trip. And of course it’s king all day every day at Disneyland, without FP.

DW loves Peter Pan. I enjoy it. It is a classic Disney ride. Now that we don't rope drop that often we haven't ridden it as much but it is still a favorite.

My girls loved the Peter Pan ride for some reason. They do love the original movie and are obsessed with the new Tinkerbell movies, but I didn’t think it was that different from other rides at MK. For some reason it made an impression on them.

Not a must do for us and Peter Pan is my favourite Disney character (you should have seen me when I *met* him at Disneyland last April solo...). The ride is nice but no way I am using one of our 3 FP+ for it and I wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes to ride it standby. Therefore, we either try to get a 4th FP+ for it or simply don't ride it (I didn't at Disneyland and I'm okay with that).

I agree with the others that being such a slow loader is the main reason waits are so long.

PP is a classic dark ride. While it may not be a great ride, it is still a lot of fun. And the new queue has helped.
It also is a slow ride, loads slowly and is low capacity. That also leads to longer standby lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter