I need to make a complaint about a crossing guard

Crankyshank said:
I called the complain about a crossing guard a few weeks ago because she was stopping traffic to allow adults coming out from dunkin donuts to cross.
Does she have a sister that works in NJ? The woman in our town does the same thing, even though the intersection on crosswalks and walk/don't walk signs. I don't mind for the kids but the adults can wait for the proper sign!

If a crossing guard allows a child to cross the street when the "Don't Walk" sign is flashing, aren't they teaching the child to cross when they shouldn't? It's possible that when the child is in a situation where there isn't a crossing guard, they might cross when "Don't Walk" is flashing and get hurt.

It seems that the crossing guard should collect children at the corner and lead them across the street when the "Walk" sign is lit. Why do they have to stop traffic for every child?

golfgal said:
We were trying for YEARS to get a crossing guard at a very busy uncontrolled intersection in town that many, many kids crossed every day. The police in our town told us that technically the crossing guards don't have the legal authority to stop traffic. They only have crossing guards at controlled intersections in our town, which is ridiculous in my opinion. In the OP's case, the kids would be safer without the crossing guard.

Our county has crossing guards at the intersections where needed. My intersection did not have any traffic lights or stop signs. We have a 25 MPH flashing light, but that was it. I would give myself plenty of clearance before going out into the street to stop traffic. I can tell you that speeding was a real problem and we were always asking for radar. Some of those cars were going over 50 in a 25 school zone.

I am amazed at the fact other people have crossing guards that stop traffic too much. We used to have use a crosswalk. DS and I would walk and eave in plenty of time and almost be late to school. The guards would wait until there was little to no traffic. I was told they didn't want to make anyone late. I replied that I didn't want to be late either and he finally hit the button to stop traffic and take us across. One day he had over 30 kids lined up, making us wait about 10 minutes, before he stopped traffic. The bad thing was they all were trying to fight for sidewalk space once we got across. The sidewalk had bushes on one side and the busy Main street was only 3 feet away on the other side. Kids were shoving and one ended up almost falling into the street as a car was coming. I was trying my best to make the kids stop shoving, but I am not their mom, therefore they didn't have to listen to me. :sad2:

If there is a light, why don't they just hit the button?

If there is no light, then they have to stop the traffic.....a lot of people don't pay attention to those "Stop For Pedestrians In Crosswalk" signs.

In our town, the crossing guards actually override the ltraffic ights so the lights are flashing. The traffic then has to pay attention to the crossing guard. That would probably be a bit crazy at a really busy, complex interesection though. But, at least in our town and the ones surrounding us, the crossing guard has authority over the traffic. Crossing the kids is top priority.

I didn't know we were so lucky!

Our guards hold the kids until there is a group of them, and have them cross at the proper time. Sometimes it takes a little longer than the light says, so they have their little sign.

I am surprised that guards are stopping traffic to have a kid cross at the wrong time. What the heck.

Nancy said:
I believe the crossing guard has the right of way no matter if there is an arrow or not. They all do that around here.

The crossing guard at the middle school my daughter goes to will stop all traffic for 1 child even if she just stopped it 2 seconds ago for other kids. Most mornings and afternoons one car at a time will get through before she stops everyone again.
The pedestrian in the crosswalk with the guard has the right of way here too. :confused3

A crossing guard by my son's school leads kids across a street that has no traffic light or signs. He definitely has the right of way over the traffic regardless of that.

I understand the safety of children always comes first. There is this one particular female that is, in my opinion, the worst cross guard I have ever encountered! She has on many occasions, walked out in the middle of a green left arrow going. Not before, not after, but DURING! So, this happened, she carelessly did that today while I was in the middle of the intersection turning. She walked out and ushered the kids to walk out. Leaving me stuck in the middle of the intersection with another vehicle behind me and incoming traffic as I was on the oncoming traffic side. Since the guy behind me was ok. He didn't reverse. I'm still in the middle of the oncoming traffic, so to make room for the oncoming traffic I moved up toward the crosswalk. She throws a fit, hits my car. Starts yelling and hollering. I called the school and complained. She put me and my daughter in a very dangerous position. I'm ok with her walking before a green arrow or after a green arrow. Most certainly not during a green arrow.

I understand the safety of children always comes first. There is this one particular female that is, in my opinion, the worst cross guard I have ever encountered! She has on many occasions, walked out in the middle of a green left arrow going. Not before, not after, but DURING! So, this happened, she carelessly did that today while I was in the middle of the intersection turning. She walked out and ushered the kids to walk out. Leaving me stuck in the middle of the intersection with another vehicle behind me and incoming traffic as I was on the oncoming traffic side. Since the guy behind me was ok. He didn't reverse. I'm still in the middle of the oncoming traffic, so to make room for the oncoming traffic I moved up toward the crosswalk. She throws a fit, hits my car. Starts yelling and hollering. I called the school and complained. She put me and my daughter in a very dangerous position. I'm ok with her walking before a green arrow or after a green arrow. Most certainly not during a green arrow.

Always curious to see the post that revives a ten-year-old thread...

Wow! It must have been bad for you to dig up a ten year old thread to make your first post. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter