I need some OKW tips...

Rafiki USA

Earning My Ears
My family and I will be at OKW 11/25-12/1. My wife and I joined DVC on our honeymoon last year, and this will be our first DVC trip. We'd originally booked BWV, our home resort, for 9/21, but we live in Manhattan, my sis lives a mile from the Pentagon, and my brother in law's in the National Guard, so things were tense for our whole travel party (although I consider all of us very fortunate). ANYWAY, how do the resorts compare? We're waitlisted for BWV; should we forget it and take this opportunity to stay at a resort I might otherwise miss? Am I in danger of falling in love with OKW? Clue me in, DVC vets...

God Bless America

Our family is so sorry for all the things that have happend in NY. We are glad to hear your family is OK. To answer your questions, BWV is more like a hotel. OKW is more like an apartment complex. They are both so different. If you like more action BWV is the place. If you like quiet and more open space, OKW is your place. Our home resort is at OKW, but we have stayed several times at BWV. We like the location of BWV and like the room service option after a long day out. I think you will like both of them. I have not stayed at VWL yet, but I am sure I will sometime. Hope your trip is great and let us know how it went. Don't forget to do all the Christmas stuff. It is so pretty there and they have several Christmas programs you will not want to miss.

Not sure I agree with the "apartment complex" description. If you can call OKW an apartment complex it is the best darned complex I ever saw...

I own at both and have only stayed at OKW once. If you're looking for a restful trip to get away from the rat race, go with OKW. If you like action and going on's - shoot for BWV. They're both nice in their own way.

We're staying at OKW for the first time starting tomorrow, so I can't make a comparison.

I know that one thing that I will miss is the ability to walk over from BWV to Epcot to see the Fireworks show. No waiting for a bus, boat, etc. We give our kids their baths, put them in their PJs into the double stroller and take a leisurely stroll on the boardwalk to watch the fireworks. :)

We own at OKW & BWV and we have stayed at BWV every time we have gone down except twice (we go down about 4x a year since 1997 as DVCR'S) we love the location and the action at BW...I have to say that the last trip this Oct we satyed at OKW and I really enjoyed it..went in the hot tub late at nite...had a few drinks by the pool...it was very relaxing BUT WE HAD A CAR...I really think to enjoy OKW you need a car where as BWV even VWL you don't need the car...when we stayed at VWL (which was great and soooo beautiful) we really didn't need the car at all...If you want a relexing vacation go to OKW ...if you want to stay up late and see the sights and sounds of BW go there..if you want the beauty go to the VWL..each one is great in its own way...have fun...Marianne:earsgirl: :wave:

What I meant to to say is that OKW is spread out like an apartment complex, which it is. It is on the same line as an apartment complex with different units spaced apart. That was the best way to decribe the differences in the two. Sorry for the "apparent" down grade of OKW to an apartment complex though we have many apartment complex here in my area of the country that are very nice.

Originally posted by bunnymkc
We own at OKW & BWV and we have stayed at BWV every time we have gone down except twice (we go down about 4x a year since 1997 as DVCR'S)

that's an understatement. BTW just booked $120 rt from ISP in January. Any bells going off yet Marianne?

Thanks, everybody, for all the great advice.

I think "restful" will be the watchword this time around. The one thing I'll miss is the walk to Epcot, but I'll get over it. We'll be at BWV next time. We will have a car with us since we're meeting family in Miami and driving up, but I've always preferred WDW transport. That might be because New Yorkers are so used to massed transit, but I always find the buses to be at least reasonably efficient. Heck, at this point, we all need a vacation so badly that if they told us we had to bunk with the zebras at AK, I'd pack a clothespin for my nose and be on my merry way. Thanks again, guys.

Poly 72, 78
ASM, PO, DL for the Honeymoon, etc, and counting.

YOu wont mind the bus. The only time it is necesary to take the car is when you are going to another resort for a PS. We always take the bus to the parks and find it another way to relax.

Rafiki, believe me when I say that I understand your pain when it comes to Sept. 11th. I won't get into details, but I feel your sorrow.

OKW is the place to be for you now. It is peaceful, relaxing, yet lots of fun.

Listen to the steel drum music as you check in.

Watch the ducks and the cranes bustle about the resort.

Get a room with a water view and watch the little waves around the shore. Sit on the deck in the morning and enjoy a bagel and coffee in complete serenity before the hustle & bustle of parks hit you.

Take the ferry to the marketplace in the evening and look at the beautiful, quiet lit up resort reflecting in the water. Then see as it slowly spreads out into the magical lit-up marketplace.

Bask in the quiet moonlit walk around the resort.

Have a delicious meal at Olivia's with the friendliest servers around.

Hang out by the pool, play shuffleboard, play tennis. If you have kids, sign them up for some fun activities at Community Hall. Rent a boat. Rent some bikes. Rent a surrey! Have fun!

I cannot think of any better resort to be at during this very sad time than Old Key West. I am sure you will love it and it will for a short time, help ease what you've been through.

I love OKW - since you haven't stayed at your home resort - yes you might fall in love - OKW is much bigger (in the living space) than either BWV or VWL. It has a full kitchen, a whirlpool tub big enough for 3 people, it is very romantic. You have a full size patio (that is shared by the living area and the master bath) that you will enjoy eating breakfast on. the CM are some of the best and they generally go out of their way to service you.

Rafiki - September 11 is a day we all will remember as long as their is a USA.

Just happy to heard that your family is okay.

LOL, Spiceycat,

What is romantic about 3 people in the Jacuzzi?!?!:D

Rafiki,
Instead of the walk to Epcot take the nice boat ride to the Market Place. I think it is one of the best rides in WDW.

"Am I in danger of falling in love with OKW? Clue me in, DVC vets..."

Don't worry, if you fall in love with OKW, that is no problem. Availability at the 7 month window at OKW is not nearly the problem it is at the other resorts...

You don't say what level accomodations you are using? If it's just studios you won't get a sense of what is apparently the main adavantage of OKW, the space. Also you may want to use the car just to get around OKW- it is huge. Really not apartment like, but like a large condominium complex.

If you have never been, plan to pay a visit to VWL. We were so impressed with both the WL and the VWL. I am sure at XMAS, they will be even more stunning. It was really nice to see OKW, BWV and VWL just to stir the imagination for a variety of vacations yet to come.

Paul

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
LOL, Spiceycat,

What is romantic about 3 people in the Jacuzzi?!?!:D

I'm still chuckling over that one, dianeschlicht!:p

I was wondering that too!:D

We once put 4 kids in swim suits in it!

:o I'm old fashioned. I will stick with 2 in the hot tub. Myself and my DH( if he helps out putting DD to bed, if not another cutie will do). i am VERY curious about how Spiceycat knows 3 would fit. I said I was old fashioned, not a prude!!:p

Latest posts

facebook twitter