I made a duct tape FE

AWESOME!:thumbsup2 My DD12 is a duct tape artist and she was very impressed. She has made wave phone holders and wallets for our FE exchange, I'm going to show her this so she can get to work making them!

LOVE this thread! So glad I found it. Keep posting the pictures of your completed FE's! I just purchased some duct tape and plan on trying my hand at making one myself. Wish me luck!

SO inspired! We leave in, um, four days and I STILL had not cobbled together our FE and was beginning to mildly freak out. Now, however, I think I could do this! I like the hybrid idea - I had already bought some Agent P material remnants last week so I can duct them on! I have 3 boys and they will love this! It also gives them something fun to do while they are getting antsy for our trip!

What creativity everyone! Thanks for the inspiration OP - we are in the process of making a mixed-media/mostly duct-tape FE - will post pix when it's finished:goodvibes

This seems like it would be a lot of fun to make. We are still wondering whether we should make or buy ours. This would be a great conversation piece!

I would like to be able to use a stencil and cut out our names from one piece of duct tape and have it show a color behind or something like that... What could I lay a strip of duct tape flat on so that I will have a surface to stencil and use an x-acto knife to cut out the letters? I wouldn't want it to stick and rip to shreds when I go to lift it up. Do you think wax paper will work?

I did it! Made a duct tape FE! Okay, so it's a hybrid - I had some fabric for the pockets already and just made the rest out of duct tape. So pleased! I've tried w/o success to post a photo, but clearly I have no idea how to do so - can anyone help me out?

This seems like it would be a lot of fun to make. We are still wondering whether we should make or buy ours. This would be a great conversation piece!

I would like to be able to use a stencil and cut out our names from one piece of duct tape and have it show a color behind or something like that... What could I lay a strip of duct tape flat on so that I will have a surface to stencil and use an x-acto knife to cut out the letters? I wouldn't want it to stick and rip to shreds when I go to lift it up. Do you think wax paper will work?

I did best with cloth. I stuck the strips sticky side down on junky fabric and after cutting the pieces lifted off easily. GOOD LUCK:thumbsup2!!!! Also, I found that a sharp scissor worked well but I had to clean of the sticky residue every so often in order to keep it working well.

. What could I lay a strip of duct tape flat on so that I will have a surface to stencil and use an x-acto knife to cut out the letters? I wouldn't want it to stick and rip to shreds when I go to lift it up. Do you think wax paper will work?

I :confused3 have no idea but I would probably use a piece of glass just don't press hard

Inspired by this and other similar threads and discussions, I finished my duct tape FE and wanted to share it.

IMG_20120808_195000.jpg

I still need to get a dowel and attach something to hang it with, but the body itself is done.

I used to be a professional costumer/seamstress, but both my serger and my sewing machine have died in the last year and I haven't been able to prioritize getting them fixed. So I was going to buy an FE, but being a crafty type I hate paying other people to do things I could do myself (for we crafty folk, part of the FUN is in making it, right?). I really struggled with what I was going to do, then I read about duct tape FE's, and I was inspired!

The inner "core", if you will, is a Priority Mailing Envelope--a sort of lightweight tyvek and totally free at your USPS office. I had to do two layers of the white duct tape to cover the writing on the tyvek, but it made it overall more sturdy that way anyway.

Everything else is 100% duct tape. I cut out the individual letters from strips of duct tape (using a printout from my computer on the back to help me do it neatly, so I suppose it is more 99.999% duct tape ;); same for the Mickey Ears graphic. The letters and ears were then glued down using gem tack. I figure craft glue would work fine, too, but gem tack works well with plastic surface applications like this.

I used to be a professional costumer/seamstress, but both my serger and my sewing machine have died in the last year and I haven't been able to prioritize getting them fixed. So I was going to buy an FE, but being a crafty type I hate paying other people to do things I could do myself (for we crafty folk, part of the FUN is in making it, right?). I really struggled with what I was going to do, then I read about duct tape FE's, and I was inspired!

The inner "core", if you will, is a Priority Mailing Envelope--a sort of lightweight tyvek and totally free at your USPS office. I had to do two layers of the white duct tape to cover the writing on the tyvek, but it made it overall more sturdy that way anyway.

Everything else is 100% duct tape. I cut out the individual letters from strips of duct tape (using a printout from my computer on the back to help me do it neatly, so I suppose it is more 99.999% duct tape ;); same for the Mickey Ears graphic. The letters and ears were then glued down using gem tack. I figure craft glue would work fine, too, but gem tack works well with plastic surface applications like this.

Very cute! The letters look professionally produced.

Inspired by this and other similar threads and discussions, I finished my duct tape FE and wanted to share it.

IMG_20120808_195000.jpg

I still need to get a dowel and attach something to hang it with, but the body itself is done.

Sweet!!! What are your dimensions, if you don't mind me asking.

Sweet!!! What are your dimensions, if you don't mind me asking.

20" X 8"

I unfolded the tyvek envelope and then coated it with white duct tape--one layer on one side and two layers on the other side. Then I measured and cut, giving me a nice clean edge.

Then I cut out pockets 6" tall X 12" wide, and coated them with one layer of red duct tape on each side, then trimmed the edges, again giving a nice clean edge.

When the pockets go on, you lose 4" into the folds, making it 8" wide and able to accordion out a little to make room for goodies. The pockets are rather stiff, but instead I will think of them as "sturdy". ;)

Cutting out the individual letters took some time-- a few hours in front of the TV, no biggie. Scissors, an Exacto knife, and a little cutting mat got me all the details I need. Don't look too closely at any uneven edges and they look quite slick. :)

That is awesome!!! I saw an article today where a girl made her PROM dress out of duct tape, it was so cool!!!!!

I made a FE for my Magic cruise to fill little gifts for my nieces and nephew on our cruise last week. (I was new to the whole concept but loved it immediately and the crafter in me compelled me to make one even though I wouldn't be doing an exchange with others.) Since I don't sew, but am crafty I used sticky back felt and glue dots to attach mine together. As a Kindergarten teacher, I use glue dots often and highly recommend them.

I bought little canvas bags from the dollar store to use as the pockets. I cut the handles off the two bottom pockets but left the handles on the top pocket to hang from the hook so I didn't even need to attach a dowel or string to the top to hang it. I used Mickey stickers to decorate. It worked out pretty well and I loved the look of it.

angelinaxox said:
I made a FE for my Magic cruise to fill little gifts for my nieces and nephew on our cruise last week. (I was new to the whole concept but loved it immediately and the crafter in me compelled me to make one even though I wouldn't be doing an exchange with others.) Since I don't sew, but am crafty I used sticky back felt and glue dots to attach mine together. As a Kindergarten teacher, I use glue dots often and highly recommend them.

I bought little canvas bags from the dollar store to use as the pockets. I cut the handles off the two bottom pockets but left the handles on the top pocket to hang from the hook so I didn't even need to attach a dowel or string to the top to hang it. I used Mickey stickers to decorate. It worked out pretty well and I loved the look of it.

Would love to see pictures!

IMG_20120808_195000.jpg

GORGEOUS!!!
And the padded mailing envelope idea - brilliant!
Have a super cruise:flower3::flower3::flower3:!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter