I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a couple in the grocery store write a check the other day and I couldn't believe it! I think I gasped out loud! They were probably in their 40's, not their 70's like my parents who are still writing checks.
My 5th grader just spend a couple weeks preparing for "biz town" which is where the kids run their own town, business and all, for 2 days. The teacher's email one night said they were spending alot of time in class working on balancing the checkbook register and they were having trouble with it. I said to DH, "what in the world!? No one uses a checkbook register, or for that matter debit cards/checks. And, we have online banking. Why don't they teach mint or something!?" Talk about a waste of time.

I hope you know I was only joking about that. :thumbsup2

Absolutely. I told him that people were teasing that he's just saying that so he doesn't have to get any more cards and he looked all worried. :rotfl: It's good you told me it's expanded, though, since he happily added a few cards to his Apple wallet. And now there's room for more!

I don't think I've seen this piece about Chase shutdowns from The Points Guy highlighted here so sharing a link:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/criti...ditorial&utm_medium=social&utm_source=TWITTER

It picks up a number of the factors that have been discussed on this thread. One factor that I haven't really seen discussed here is the number of Chase cards held, and that applying for another Chase card when you already hold 5 or 6 could be risky. That's a scary one to me because I am currently holding 6 Chase cards (5 personal and 1 business). I'm not going to let it deter me from applying for the CIP since I don't have any of the other risk factors discussed, but curious about what others think.

Wherever they pull the info that sometimes "non credit-card deposit accounts are closed" is HIGHLY suspect. We have not seen even a single report of that on r/churning, I think tpg is being trolled there...

as long as u slow it down with chase and follow the shut down rules, u will be fine. its a very small # of ppl getting shut down, not to mention a grip of them basically got reinstated after calling in.

i think he is advertising the Amex gold card *stares at the big gold card advertisement at the bottom* lol
@Albort and I have been tracking shutdowns closely. I believe I can absolutely state that the # of cards you hold absolutely has no bearing. It’s all about when you apply and your recent activities.

“Applying for a Chase Card when you hold 5 or 6” is not risky at all if you haven’t applied for a card in 6 months and have been fairly clean the last year and managed your CLs appropriately.

Now if you hold 5 or 6; have gotten 3 cards in the past 6 months and 6 cards in the last year (across any issuers) and your CLs are 150% of your income...you’re asking for trouble.

:)

I was planning on using UR to pay for our Disney trip next year too. If I find a deal on Disney GCs that is more than 33.3% off, I cash out my UR to pay for it. Getting something for 33.3% off is the breakeven point for the 1.5x valuation if that makes any sense. I have been able to find a few good deals last month with the RMN app, but that might be a one and done type of thing. It's not going to pay for my trip in full, but it helps.

I am now seriously thinking of using UR to stay at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2-bedroom which is right behind the America pavilion in Epoct, or right next to Caribbean Beach Resort. Our family needs separate rooms for sleeping so that limited us for Disney. I was thinking of AoA, but I've stayed there and wanted to try something new. This change in the game is really going to push me to stay there and see how it goes. I am currently able to book it through the travel portal for a little less than half of what I was planning on spending for a cabin at Ft. Wilderness or AoA.

Not sure when your planning to book..but I’ll post a review after our stay at Wyndham bonnet Creek in December...which I booked using our UR points my son lives in Orlando and use to work for Wyndham...he has stayed there, he recommend it for our visit since we used up all our DVC points

I am now seriously thinking of using UR to stay at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2-bedroom which is right behind the America pavilion in Epoct, or right next to Caribbean Beach Resort. Our family needs separate rooms for sleeping so that limited us for Disney. I was thinking of AoA, but I've stayed there and wanted to try something new. This change in the game is really going to push me to stay there and see how it goes. I am currently able to book it through the travel portal for a little less than half of what I was planning on spending for a cabin at Ft. Wilderness or AoA.

We have stayed at Bonnet Creek a few times. It is very nice! I would highly recommend it. I was looking forward to having my teens come and go as they wanted and not having to drive anywhere. Bonnet Creek isn't far from the parks but then we would be stuck traveling together all the time. My teens like to sleep in on vacation and stay out late, me and my dh like to get up early go.

I need to research these packing cubes...they have been talked about on here off and on...without looking, sounds like little boxes that must go in your luggage.

I absolutly LOVE my packing cubes. They are amazing for staying organized. I would highly suggest checking out the Eagle Creek brand. I have some of the Ebag brand but I like the Eagle Creek better. They sell these on the E bag site also.

Last edited:
Nothing like a rainy Friday evening arguing on the disboards FB page about luggage and DME. Makes me happy to come to the budget board because for the most part, and especially here, the SB and GC threads, there's no arguing. Oh but I was right, which was the reason I kept going :) Also, after the morning I had, I needed a good accomplishment for the day :rotfl2:

I need to research these packing cubes...they have been talked about on here off and on...without looking, sounds like little boxes that must go in your luggage.
I love them when more than one person is using a suitcase at the same time. I can’t really imagine using them for just my stuff though. I must be missing something.

Reason: When I go on to DISchurners looking for a link, I search the card name. For Example: I'll pull up the AMEX thread and search "SPG" and then look at who all has links for the card I'm applying for. Then I select somebody who has been helpful to me in the past. If you have an SPG link, but don't list it - I may never consider you. Just a thought!
I didn’t even know you could search this way on DISchurners, so thank you for sharing!

I love them when more than one person is using a suitcase at the same time. I can’t really imagine using them for just my stuff though. I must be missing something.

I use them and don't use them depending. I found they work better with my 28" suitcase vs my 24" or 20". I used them 2 years ago for WDW and it was handy to separate tops from shorts etc and made unpacking super easy and fast, which I like. Worked great last year when I did Charlotte and DC on the same trip, different bags for each city so I don't have to unpack everything. Both of these used my 28". Paris in May I used the 24" because of taking the train and it was just easier but the packing cubes took up way too much room so I rolled everything and packed directly in the suitcase and it was great.

WDW next month I'll probably use the cubes or a combination since I'll use the bigger 28" since I use DME I deal with the suitcase way less. And Run Disney plus eating breakfast in room and taking snacks means I need more room. The best thing for me about the packing cubes is I can pack early without actually getting the suitcase out which helps a ton with Dude. Used to be the only time the suitcase came out he was coming along, but rarely goes now that we live with my mom.

I am a huge fan of shoe bags and pouches for things though. And I'll use the smallest cube I have for my park clothes for the day I arrive so it takes up less room in my backpack.

I have to figure out how best to pack bread for this trip, found it to be a better snack with peanut butter the night before a run and in general, just not sure how to do more than a couple pieces without smooshing it. I need to make a trip to the Dollar Tree...

I got a magical offer code in the mail today from Disney. It’s for 30% off a room from 1/18-2/26 (those are guesses because I can’t remember exactly). Dh doesn’t want to go back next year since we went three times this year and are going to Japan next year. Idk if I can pass this up though lol.

My 5th grader just spend a couple weeks preparing for "biz town" which is where the kids run their own town, business and all, for 2 days. The teacher's email one night said they were spending alot of time in class working on balancing the checkbook register and they were having trouble with it. I said to DH, "what in the world!? No one uses a checkbook register, or for that matter debit cards/checks. And, we have online banking. Why don't they teach mint or something!?" Talk about a waste of time.

:wave2::wave2: Meeee. Lol. I still prefer check registers. I’m trying to like mint. But I don’t. (Hangs my head in shame) We don’t even do bank bonuses, but for some reason have 3 checking accounts. I keep a register to the penny for all of them. I don’t do many checks anymore, very few. But all my CCs are paid online and written down in the registers. Only 1 automatic bill that doesn’t take CC written down in the register. I’d be lost without them. Never have used a debit card. But occasionally need to go to atm, all written in register.

:wave2::wave2: Meeee. Lol. I still prefer check registers. I’m trying to like mint. But I don’t. (Hangs my head in shame) We don’t even do bank bonuses, but for some reason have 3 checking accounts. I keep a register to the penny for all of them. I don’t do many checks anymore, very few. But all my CCs are paid online and written down in the registers. Only 1 automatic bill that doesn’t take CC written down in the register. I’d be lost without them. Never have used a debit card. But occasionally need to go to atm, all written in register.
Me too! Old school!

I need to pay the deposit for this Hawaii DCL sailing. Do I do amex plat towards MSR or CSR...or something else?
So far I am under a month in on the plat and only putting non cat spend on it and am at $2200, so I will be fine if I don't put this deposit on there.
The CSR would earn 3x I assume? Anything else I should consider?

Nothing like a rainy Friday evening arguing on the disboards FB page about luggage and DME. Makes me happy to come to the budget board because for the most part, and especially here, the SB and GC threads, there's no arguing. Oh but I was right, which was the reason I kept going :) Also, after the morning I had, I needed a good accomplishment for the day :rotfl2:

Hahahaha one of those was you?? I was reading that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter