I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on the MCGC promos at Staples? The $5 off $100/$200 offers DoC posted? I see some comments about fraud... I've never run into that with mine but they've mainly been from Kroger/Safeway. I've only done one Staples MCGC offer, last summer maybe, when it was double crediting. Didn't have issues but didn't have them long.
I ran into fraud with a MCGC from Staples. I did register it, but did not use it for weeks. Someone out of state attempted to use it. Fortunately, I checked the balance and saw the pending charges and called. I was able to get a new card, but it was kind of a hassle. I think the key is to use the cards immediately after you buy them.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I forget...when should I see the reward dollars for the Disney visa referral? My brother and sister used my referral links a few weeks ago but I haven't seen the rewards post yet. Do I need to wait until my next statement? Thanks!

It probably has had 2 or 3 updates since my last visit, but I've only been oceanfront there. The rooms were okay, but I find most Sheraton's sort of 'okay'. My favorite has always been Westin. Being a beach property with seasonal high demand, its probably difficult to keep it at optimum.

Definitely agree with that. Between salt water and high traffic, it's tough to keep stuff in good shape down here. We checked into our room about two hours ago. The hotel is virtually identical to the Courtyard at 37th Street. Unfortunately, I also learned that next year's work conference will be taking place at The Homestead and not at the beach... which is a real bummer both in terms of point earning and the fact that absolutely no one in my office wants to go there.

Definitely agree with that. Between salt water and high traffic, it's tough to keep stuff in good shape down here. We checked into our room about two hours ago. The hotel is virtually identical to the Courtyard at 37th Street. Unfortunately, I also learned that next year's work conference will be taking place at The Homestead and not at the beach... which is a real bummer both in terms of point earning and the fact that absolutely no one in my office wants to go there.
I just saw an offer on SW. I could book my 2 nights on 37th St via SW for 10k SW points and then just use my CSR to pay for the room for the 3x. It won't include the breakfast but that's ok.
@SouthFayetteFan so it's $558 for 6k SW points or $626 for 10k SW, is the extra $60 worth it?

Okay so if spg luxe comes out 8/23, then I will have three days to get it before I’d be locked out because of a 10/16 Marriott bonus?

Of course I’m in Alaska but I think I will have some cell service to apply.

So, if I have a reservation at a Courtyard that went down in points, do I need to call and ask for the difference back? The hotel is currently sold out so I can't rebook.

@DisneyMandC Citi responded to my match request and I will get the 20,000 additional miles in 1-2 billing cycles. I need to spend 2500 for the 50,000. Id send another secure message

Thanks! Did they say anything about escalating your request to the rewards center, or did they just approve it automatically? I'm worried now that mine was escalated without me asking about it what they'll do if I send another SM...

Okay so if spg luxe comes out 8/23, then I will have three days to get it before I’d be locked out because of a 10/16 Marriott bonus?

As long as you are in a metropolitan area you will have cell service. My parents live on the Kenai Peninsula, and when we visited last week had no problem with cell service on AT&T.

Thanks! Did they say anything about escalating your request to the rewards center, or did they just approve it automatically? I'm worried now that mine was escalated without me asking about it what they'll do if I send another SM...

They didn’t mention escalating it. I guess you could wait if you are nervous.

So, if I have a reservation at a Courtyard that went down in points, do I need to call and ask for the difference back? The hotel is currently sold out so I can't rebook.

Right, call in after the points programs combine on 8/18, I believe. They won't automatically credit the points back to you.

As long as you are in a metropolitan area you will have cell service. My parents live on the Kenai Peninsula, and when we visited last week had no problem with cell service on AT&T.
I heard Juneau and Ketchikan were fine but Skagway wasn’t. I’m on Verizon.

I need some advice on which cards to get/order to go in. As you know, I've thrown 5/24 to the wind and am now focusing on accruing airline (mainly AA) and hotel miles towards my AZ trip next spring and Japan in 2020. Here's a recent rundown of cards for me:

5/18- Hilton Biz (125k/5k MSR)
7/18- Barclays AAdvantage biz (50k/single purchase)
8/18- Citi AAdvantage Biz (50k/$200 credit/$2500)

I'm thinking that I would like to get for me:

1. Barclays AAdvantage personal (60k/single purchase) (how long do I need to wait between Barclays biz app and this application?)
2. SPG Personal before 8/26 (75k/$3k MSR) (that $5k Hilton spend on Amex has been REALLY tough for us)
3. Maybe a Citi AA personal if I can fit in another MSR before DH's double dip?

I haven't gotten DH anything lately but would like to fit in a small card before double dipping him, so obviously need to go business route for him. I applied for the Barclays AAdvantage biz before the promo ended and just need to send in his ID verification documents for that, so that will be another 50k AA points for us. I checked and the Citi AA Biz is now 70k/$4k. Don't know if I can fit that in for him any time soon or if I need to wait.

Am I missing anything here? Do I have any offers confused or is there something else I should be looking at?

ETA: NOT interested in SPG Lux, even despite the new three day window.

Last edited:
Congrats on using points for your recent vacation.

I think that barring some amazing offers or having your other family members act as P2/P3/P4 you will not have enough Delta miles to fly Delta One (or United or American) round trip OR one way for four people, especially in summer of 2019. ONE WAY per person United's saver rates would be 70,000; AA 57,500 in business, 85,000 in first class; most of Delta's (delta one) is 280,000 (there is an occasional 82,000 but this is rare). So to get to Europe in Delta One would cost more than a million skymiles...and that's one way! RT can price out less/more reasonablely...I found RT to MUC (since I'm stalking these flights) for as low as 162,000 pp with a 9 hour layover on a Weds-Sat in June 2019. So I guess I'd like to urge caution in planning first/business unless it's an amazing deal (which admittedly happen --albeit rarely).

Considering a "large" group of 4-United usually has some availability, American's is pretty limited and Delta's isn't bad...at 280,000 miles one way. I just went through getting to Europe for 3 of us and that drained the AA miles I'd worked on for two years. Just a one way in Comfort+ for DM and DD is likely going to cost 250,000 skymiles.

Also, and I hate to be a Debbie Downer, often but not always, groups of saver award for more than 1 or 2 are snapped up as soon as the dates are open so if you're thinking May or June...well others have probably done that too (United has released up to 5 July, AA and DL are currently up to 29 June). I'll be staying up until midnight this weekend to see if DL will have any Economy Comfort for less than 125,000pp.

Of course, these are the Big 3 and I'm sure there could be tricks and tips from others flying from a major US city and waiting for a deal and/or flying a different or co-branded aircraft. I'm just urging caution after tearing my hair out planning for 3 people with 2 years of stored up miles and points (and a very reluctant player 2).

That depends...we flew first on AA and had old planes with no power ports and I regretted the waste of AAmiles. Maybe if you can check seatguru and assure yourself of a new-er/ish plane I'd think it could be worth it to you (or if you're like me and "what's another 7K? I like flying up front!" :) ).

Thanks, and you are right. I just looked at DeltaOne mile requirements and OMG ridiculous! I need to win the lotto like Mavis did. I wonder what she is doing now. Probably living it up on a private jet going somewhere.

Restrictions effective 8/26.

Amex-Chart.png

I just saw an offer on SW. I could book my 2 nights on 37th St via SW for 10k SW points and then just use my CSR to pay for the room for the 3x. It won't include the breakfast but that's ok.
@SouthFayetteFan so it's $558 for 6k SW points or $626 for 10k SW, is the extra $60 worth it?

Im no expert like @SouthFayetteFan but it looks like you are buying points at face value - $60 for 4000 points is 0.015. Even though that is the value to redeem them I don't think you can usually buy points that cheap so maybe worth it to you to have the extra points?

I know this has been mentioned before, but I forget...when should I see the reward dollars for the Disney visa referral? My brother and sister used my referral links a few weeks ago but I haven't seen the rewards post yet. Do I need to wait until my next statement? Thanks!

Did the statement close since they were approved? I remember mine showing up after the statement closed. Congrats on two bonuses!!!!

Just thinking further out for my dd18, she has a new Discover IT, has been an AU'er on my CF for over a year, and was on my CSP before that. So, I would say she has some credit history going back 18 mos or so. She also has her own Chase checking account, an Ally savings that is under our account and her own PNC checking. Is it crazy to think she could apply for another card in 6 mos or so? And are there any Chase cards that are good for young newbies? Disney maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter