I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the Maldives, tell me about over-the-water bungalows in French Polynesia. Apparently that’s on my wife’s wanderlist.

One of those is often their cover photo on the website, but not sure which one. It will be a looonnngg time before we can go that far without the kids so I haven't even bothered to torture myself by looking at them.

Thought process: pretty colors, pictures, yeah that pretty much sums this up... Gee, I'm so smart in this game, I know all these sites and redempti-- HILTON POINTS CAN GET YOU THAT IN THE MALDIVES?! Why had I decided Hilton points were practically useless to me?! Have I screwed up everything forever by ignoring hilton this year despite all the Hilton talk on our DIS thread?! OMG. Must. Research. Now.

...back from researching. Potentially viable option, will definitely require more research and some awesome planning. Thank you @Albort for this simple discription and pretty pictures to finally get this through to my thick skull!

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/04/03/new-hilton-properties-maldives/

Thought process: pretty colors, pictures, yeah that pretty much sums this up... Gee, I'm so smart in this game, I know all these sites and redempti-- HILTON POINTS CAN GET YOU THAT IN THE MALDIVES?! Why had I decided Hilton points were practically useless to me?! Have I screwed up everything forever by ignoring hilton this year despite all the Hilton talk on our DIS thread?! OMG. Must. Research. Now.

...back from researching. Potentially viable option, will definitely require more research and some awesome planning. Thank you @Albort for this simple discription and pretty pictures to finally get this through to my thick skull!

yeah, i saw a post on awardtravel on reddit. overwater ones for 95k was pretty cheap. Hilton was the only one that allows you to book this.

jAJegte.png

The CIP is a business credit card, the Chase Ink Preferred. It offers a bonus of 80,000 URs when you apply and spend 5k in 3 months.

URs are Ultimate Rewards. This is Chase’s reward program. The points can be used for cash back with a value of 1 cent per point. So 80,000 is worth $800 in cash. Or it can be redeemed for a higher value for travel. You can use Chases travel portal to book various travel including Disney hotels. Or they can be transferred to their travel partners.

ETA: we apply for new cards to help subsidize travel costs. If you want to apply for new cards too we can help provide advice. We just need to know your travel plans, how many cards you have gotten in the last 24 months, travel party, airlines near you etc. everyone here is super helpful so don’t be shy or feel like an idiot for asking a question.

Thanks, speedyfish!

Serious question about the overwater villas (not trying to be snarky)

Is there anything to do there besides... be over the water? Like are their tours of the island or things like that I'm missing out on? I mean, the villas look super cool, but I think lying on a beach for days would be mine and DH's idea of torture!

Serious question about the overwater villas (not trying to be snarky)

Is there anything to do there besides... be over the water? Like are their tours of the island or things like that I'm missing out on? I mean, the villas look super cool, but I think lying on a beach for days would be mine and DH's idea of torture!

snorkeling, scuba dive, eat, sleep, relax, etc. islands are usually very secluded(ie 1 hotel per island). probably go fishing too!

edit: my dream vacation is to maldives... but my idea is to flight Emirates first to dubai, stop there for a few days, move on to maldives for 3-4 days. then fly through another city in europe.

If I open a United Airlines credit card and spend the required $3K immediately, will I get my 40K points immediately?

i think they show up at statement ends. All Chase cards do that.

In my experience, all the WDW restaurants (both Disney run and others) coded as restaurants, not travel. You can get non-restaurant spend to code as "travel" (ie. souvenier shopping etc) if you are staying on property and charge the expenses to your room.

Yay! Restaurants are the hardest quarterly category for us to hit on Discover.

I want to be a mermaid when I grow up so not sure what else people would want to do (kidding!!!). I do think it's awesome that this hobby allows everyone to do what interests them the most. I've actually wondered for years about the septic for the overwater bungalows...as in- where does everything...go after you go??? :laughing:

When I try to set car payments on plastiq, it defaults to the rent/real estate category based on the bank name and then it says mortgages are not eligible. Car payments are okay though, correct? If so, should I chat the support team?

Car payments are fine on CIP through Plastiq.

You may get some complication if a car loan or lease is financed through a lender that also finances mortgages, and Plastiq has that company on its blacklist thinking you’re trying to pay a mortgage. Mortgages are pretty much the only category of payment not allowed on Visa cards. Car payments are fine, so if your payment on a CIP is declined, and you don’t mind “eyes” on your account, you can open up a troubleshooting ticket with Plastiq to get the payment resolved.
(ETA) Alternatively, you can create a new recipient with a differently formatted name than the blocked name and get your payment through that way. If Plastiq gives you any trouble, it’s a car payment and allowed so they should let it go.

I have a car loan through Honda, and payments have gone through fine for the last 6 months. When I tried to schedule this month's payment two days ago, I got an error stating that Visa cards cannot be used for mortgages, as you noted. My recipient has always been "American Honda Finance Corporation". My guess is the "finance" portion of the name tripped up Plastiq's keyword formula/trigger. I made a slight edit to the recipient name => "American Honda Fin. Corporation"; payment scheduled and now just waiting to see if it goes through fine. It should, and as @Lain said, car payments are perfectly fine using the CIP, so I will ask if need be since I don't pay my mortgage through Plastiq, so am ok with eyes on my account.

Guide on how to get a crap-ton of r/churning Karma...

1) Stay up until 2am on a night where big news (i.e. AMEX application checker thing) is released.
2) Be the first to post a detailed and super helpful comment in the thread
3) Sit back and collect your upvotes, LOL!

You got my upvotes.

Man, I can’t believe I got played by TPG’s list. I shouldn’t have been surprised, just disappointed I didn’t read anything coming from that site with my skeptical spectacles.

Yep! No EIN needed. He can app as a sole proprietorship, using his social and his name as the business name.

Thanks for the reply, but wondering if it’s my mother who applies can she do it in her name or would it have to be in my father’s name? I suppose I would say they both ran the business. So can she still put just her name as business name?

I just called Barclays to see about my card being denied. As @speedyfishy said, they just wanted additional identity verification. They're asking for a copy of my driver's license, social security card, AND a copy of a utility bill. Yeesh!! Is that the same stuff you had to send Speedyfishy? She said you can only mail it so I guess I'll do it signature required or something. Makes me a little nervous to send all that info through the mail, but the CSR didn't act like it was a big deal.

Thanks for the reply, but wondering if it’s my mother who applies can she do it in her name or would it have to be in my father’s name? I suppose I would say they both ran the business. So can she still put just her name as business name?

I would just put her name as the business name. Plenty of people have done far worse with that with only "businesses," so your mom should be fine.

She can always refer him for a card later and he can have one in his name too, so that would be an additional 100k URs for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter