I love credit cards so much!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by FairestOfThemAll37, Jul 18, 2016.

1. disneymagicgirl

disneymagicgirl Been there, Done that, Going back!

oooh, I see. I doubt that would be a problem. Just set it up. Worst case they would email you and say can't do that.

schmass likes this.
  2. SouthFayetteFan

SouthFayetteFan Saving Money on Disney Vacations since 2006

I did Q1 through ApplePay sending cash between spouses. I did Q2 through PayPal sending cash between spouses... I was really hoping to ride that gravy train all year LOL!

SBWB48, Lain, speedyfishy and 3 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. MrPTato

MrPTato DIS Veteran

I pay my DW's through my account.

schmass likes this.
  5. disneymagicgirl

PSA that you may already know:

My directv bill is linked to my ATT internet bill. It all bills through ATT. It is coding it all 3x on CIP...So 3x on directv.

bernina likes this.
  6. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

It'd be the third night of our trip, we're doing Fri Cabana Bay, Sat RPR, Sun (need hotel), Mon - Sat Dolphin. So I'll probably just do a value so we're at Disney when we wake up.

7. disneymagicgirl

oh, ok. I misunderstood when you mentioned your late flight arrival. :)

amalone1013 likes this.
  8. Disneyonmymind

Disneyonmymind DIS Veteran

When I try to set car payments on plastiq, it defaults to the rent/real estate category based on the bank name and then it says mortgages are not eligible. Car payments are okay though, correct? If so, should I chat the support team?

9. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

You’ve already got several answers, but I’ll just add that we pay DW’s student loan using my CIP through my Plastiq account. I even put DW’s name and account number on the payment. Goes through every month without ever having an issue.

Car payments are fine on CIP through Plastiq.

You may get some complication if a car loan or lease is financed through a lender that also finances mortgages, and Plastiq has that company on its blacklist thinking you’re trying to pay a mortgage. Mortgages are pretty much the only category of payment not allowed on Visa cards. Car payments are fine, so if your payment on a CIP is declined, and you don’t mind “eyes” on your account, you can open up a troubleshooting ticket with Plastiq to get the payment resolved.
    (ETA) Alternatively, you can create a new recipient with a differently formatted name than the blocked name and get your payment through that way. If Plastiq gives you any trouble, it’s a car payment and allowed so they should let it go.

For Amex cards, mortgages, car payments and student loans are not allowed through Plastiq.

pillow, schmass, KPK02090 and 2 others like this.
  10. KPK02090

KPK02090 Mouseketeer

My mother is thinking about applying for a CIP. My father has had his own landscaping business for nearly 50 years - mostly a one-man show. Can she apply using his business? Not sure if they have an EIN.

11. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

I’ve listed the historical highs for the MPE, but who knows if or when we’ll see 70k miles again?

50k miles with a $100 statement credit and first year AF waived is a decent offer. Consider that UR points transfer to UA miles 1:1 and you can compare that to the signup bonuses for UR-earning cards.

Does DH have any UR cards? The thing is, if he gets the MPE, he’ll have those UA miles in his UA account and increased award availability through a United card, so it’d make sense for him to book the flights, but in order to transfer the household’s UR points to top off his UA miles, he needs to either have his own UR card or be an AU on your UR card. It’s not worth DH transferring the UA miles to you because of the fees.

I think if you fly or plan to fly United, the MPE is a great card to have if only for the expanded award availability. It also gives you a 25% mileage bonus when buying gift cards through the MPX app. And remember, the first year AF is waived, and you can downgrade to a fee free card after the first year and still retain these two benefits.

UA miles do expire after 18 months of inactivity, but they’re so easy to keep alive even without flying. Just buy a gift card through the MPX app or shop through the MileagePlus Shopping portal once in 18 months, and you’ve made qualifying activity for another 18 months.

12. Calfan

Calfan DIS Veteran

Think you already got an answer on this one but, yes, DVC dues code as travel for the CSR 3x.

Just to add to Lain's detailed post, I wanted to clarify that a number of the benefits Lain lists under the Explorer (MPE) also apply to the Club card with the higher AF. I used to have the MPE but have only had the Club for the last year plus, so have taken advantage of these benefits with just the Club. These include the 25% mileage bonus on United’s MPX gift card app and increased award space availability on the United website. Another benefit I find from the Club version is no foreign transaction fees. We travel internationally quite a bit, and while travel and dining costs go on the CSR, I like having the Club card for a 1.5x earning option on generic spend that doesn't incur any foreign transaction fees. (MPE used to have FTF; I'm not sure whether the newer version has them or not.) So far, I've been keeping the Club card despite the $450 AF because it gets all 4 of us free checked bags (2 free bags each for the primary cardholder and one companion on the same reservation), the unlimited United lounge access (again for all 4 of us), the 1.5x with no foreign transaction fees and of course the increased award availability (although I could get that with MPE - bottom line is that we travel on United enough that I will always want one of the co-branded cards in my wallet for this benefit alone).

I also wanted to mention that if United is your goal, you should also consider the Chase UR family of earning cards since they transfer 1:1 to United. I definitely accumulate United miles through MPX, MileagePlus shopping portal, etc., but the bulk of my United earning really comes through Chase URs since they transfer 1:1 but can also be used for other purposes so are more flexible. Transfers to United are pretty much instantaneous online, so I don't feel disadvantaged by having to transfer UR to United to book awards. I've done transfers while speaking to a United agent on the phone to upgrade to business and/or first class and also with United tickets sitting in my cart on the webstie ready to purchase, and I have never lost out on any of those seats waiting for URs to hit my United account. The UR cards also have higher earning potential for everyday spend than the MPE or Club with CSR earning 3x on dining and travel, CIC earning 5x on purchases from office supply stores (including gift cards), CIP earning 3x on various categories, CF earning 5x on rotating quarterly categories, etc. The best the United cards to is 2x on United purchases and 1.5x on everything else (Club).

13. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

Thought process: pretty colors, pictures, yeah that pretty much sums this up... Gee, I'm so smart in this game, I know all these sites and redempti-- HILTON POINTS CAN GET YOU THAT IN THE MALDIVES?! Why had I decided Hilton points were practically useless to me?! Have I screwed up everything forever by ignoring hilton this year despite all the Hilton talk on our DIS thread?! OMG. Must. Research. Now.

...back from researching. Potentially viable option, will definitely require more research and some awesome planning. Thank you @Albort for this simple discription and pretty pictures to finally get this through to my thick skull!

14. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

15. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

Forget the Maldives, tell me about over-the-water bungalows in French Polynesia. Apparently that’s on my wife’s wanderlist.

mom2elal, vanjust14, wendow and 3 others like this.
  16. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

But you've reminded me to consider it for our trip next year! It's now on the planning spreadsheet :thumbsup2

disneymagicgirl likes this.
  17. LuckyMamaInDE

LuckyMamaInDE DIS Veteran

Mine, too!

Speaking of United cards, my youngest just received an MPE mailer offer for 60K miles. I signed her up for a United ff account last summer when she flew United to Asia for her gap year study abroad. She's the only one in the family with a United account; guess I should sign up dh and myself up!

caribbeandream, tink1970 and Lain like this.
  18. eeyoreland

eeyoreland DIS Veteran

I'm not getting lucky with any of my upcoming flights :-(.

19. eeyoreland

eeyoreland DIS Veteran

Hi and welcome to the group. I'm a newbie myself, but just wanted to share with you that our philosophies are very much the same. I know many here are hard core churners and I'm grateful for all their advice. No one ever made me feel dumb or silly for not going in all the way. Just wanted you to know there are a few of us here who are new and taking it slow :-).

20. 1st*toright

1st*toright Mouseketeer

Thank you both for your thoughtful commentary - exactly what I was looking for! I will go ahead and get registered with United and see if I can use it for my next work trip (not sure when that will be) or use some of the other tricks to try to generate a good offer. Then, when I'm ready to go ahead, I will see if I can pull the amex offer (no point pulling it now, will only make me cranky that I can't take advantage of it). If I can get the 100k MR, I'll do that and table the United card decision for a while. Pretty sure I will just do one United card, if I go that route - I don't think it would be worth 2 chase slots at the moment. I can get a first year fee waived on the club card I will do that, otherwise I will need to weigh the annual fees vs. benefits. The additional award availability is pretty compelling.

In my experience, all the WDW restaurants (both Disney run and others) coded as restaurants, not travel. You can get non-restaurant spend to code as "travel" (ie. souvenier shopping etc) if you are staying on property and charge the expenses to your room.

miztressuz, LuckyMamaInDE and Lain like this.
  21. disneymagicgirl

Yep! No EIN needed. He can app as a sole proprietorship, using his social and his name as the business name.

tink1970 likes this.