I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: Finally called a live person at chase and they said the CIU was denied (womp womp), and I should get a letter in 7-10 days... um... it's been 7-10 days already but ok. This is my second CIU denial, despite getting approved for everything else so I guess it just isn't meant to be. While I was on the phone I had them PC my last CIP to a CIU so at least I can get out of the AF and not lose my points. Sucks to not get the SUB though.

Welcome to the club - I was also denied the CIU twice - I think that is the only Chase card I have had a problem getting - I did finally get it at the 3rd time of asking.

That said, I almost thought I was going to have a problem last week when I finally decided to apply for the Chase IHG card - got the need more time message. Something was bugging me though about the SS# I entered on the application so I called the status line and was advised no application on record. I got through to the Lending department - and they did not confirm that I had entered the wrong number, but asked me to confirm my social, and after a couple minutes confirmed that my application was approved. :thumbsup2

I think I had carelessly entered the first 3 digits of my wifes SS# and the rest was mine. I vaguely recognized at the time something wasn't right, but in my enthusiasm to submit the application, just pressed ahead anyway. Unusual for me as I normally double/triple check everything. Fortunately my subconscious kept nagging at me that something wasn't right and I made the call.

I think I had carelessly entered the first 3 digits of my wifes SS# and the rest was mine. I vaguely recognized at the time something wasn't right, but in my enthusiasm to submit the application, just pressed ahead anyway. Unusual for me as I normally double/triple check everything. Fortunately my subconscious kept nagging at me that something wasn't right and I made the call.
I try to be super careful because the last 4 digits of my SS# are 1 digit off my late dad's birthdate (which my mom uses as PIN or part of passwords and I have access to her accounts) It's so easy to accidentally confuse numbers if you're not double and triple checking.

Managed to get down to my GE appointment yesterday. It seems so silly that they literally just looked at my passport and DL, and took my fingerprints AGAIN(I'm a dummy and just did TSA precheck a few months ago)... but there should be no issues and I hope to get my card before my trip the last week in September.

I don't think I will push my luck and try for another CIC but I'm wondering about that Capital One Venture X I see mentioned. I've had a bit of a problem with my existing Capital One card (they don't post my payments timely, in my limited experience) but I am already itching for another SUB. Is Capital One particularly sensitive to recent new cards or what should I be aware of as I consider applying?

Managed to get down to my GE appointment yesterday. It seems so silly that they literally just looked at my passport and DL, and took my fingerprints AGAIN(I'm a dummy and just did TSA precheck a few months ago)... but there should be no issues and I hope to get my card before my trip the last week in September.

I don't think I will push my luck and try for another CIC but I'm wondering about that Capital One Venture X I see mentioned. I've had a bit of a problem with my existing Capital One card (they don't post my payments timely, in my limited experience) but I am already itching for another SUB. Is Capital One particularly sensitive to recent new cards or what should I be aware of as I consider applying?
What I did when I app‘Ed the cap venture one was try the pre approval button. Says it doesn’t impact credit score and you‘d get an idea if they’d approve you.

Cap One is definitely sensitive to either new cards or inquiries or both - can't remember off the top of my head.

And they pull all three bureaus, if I recall. However, you can usually freeze one, I believe, so it forces them to pull the other two. Something like that.

Hey welcome to the thread. I see @becauseimnew gave you loads of info.
I'm also in Chicago area! You have the exact same school schedule we do.
Few things to add, United is probably the best service to Hawaii as they have non stop flights but SW is also an option. Plus I think Delta & AA but have not looked into those.
When are you planning this trip? Generally takes over a year to plan a trip like this so you can look for those seats the day the bookings open and have points ready. Many people here plan 2+ years out to accumulate points/miles needed.
Are you sure you have no use for those Marriott points? With your spend you can hit quite a few cards between you and your spouse, P2, and accumulate enough miles plus some MRs (AMEX) or URs(Chase) to pay for other parts of the trip. I would plan for 2024 and lay out a roadmap to get the points needed for the specific dates you're looking at (ie spring break vs summer vs Christmas).
Thank you, nice to see someone else from Chicagoland! I agree re: United - the allure of nonstops to HI is strong. Of course the allure of saving a lot of $$ / points is even stronger so I won't mind going another airline if it gets all 6 of us there!

I agree with you re: looking at 2024 and being strategic about this. I had initially thought maybe pushing to try to make this happen for 2023 summer, but that's feeling like a stretch. As it is, we'll have a new DVC membership to enjoy; we may as well use it for our 2023 travel plan. We'll be sufficiently satisfied with enjoying a new resort or 2 at WDW for easily the next year anyway!

Re: the Marriott points, I have been looking into how to use them. I don't earn Marriott points anymore other than a trickle from the Bonvoy Amex to keep the points from expiring. We will be using them for an overnight stop en route to WDW for our first week of Jan trip, but that's just 15k points... I considered using Marriott points for a Hawaii trip but they're not quite enough to stay more than ~4 days if I recall. I guess I could save them up to make the Hawaii trip a real 'super trip' and tack them on to a stay after Aulani. That makes the wheels turn a bit.

Re: the Marriott points, I have been looking into how to use them. I don't earn Marriott points anymore other than a trickle from the Bonvoy Amex to keep the points from expiring. We will be using them for an overnight stop en route to WDW for our first week of Jan trip, but that's just 15k points... I considered using Marriott points for a Hawaii trip but they're not quite enough to stay more than ~4 days if I recall. I guess I could save them up to make the Hawaii trip a real 'super trip' and tack them on to a stay after Aulani. That makes the wheels turn a bit.

I like this idea, you can visit another island. We've been to the Westin Hapuna on the Big Island and it's beautiful (I have a review here). If you decide to go to the Big Island, consider staying a few nights on the volcano side too.

If you're open to business cards and a big spending requirement (can the DVC purchase be put on a card?), the United business card is a tiered bonus maxing at 150k for $20k spend.

I like this idea, you can visit another island. We've been to the Westin Hapuna on the Big Island and it's beautiful (I have a review here). If you decide to go to the Big Island, consider staying a few nights on the volcano side too.

If you're open to business cards and a big spending requirement (can the DVC purchase be put on a card?), the United business card is a tiered bonus maxing at 150k for $20k spend.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion re: Westin Hapuna and will read your review.

I wish we were eligible for a business card! Both my wife and I are W2 all the way as of now. Unless I can convince my better half to get back into her old side hustle, I fear we're going to be staying this way.

Looking at booking a trip to use our 4 FNC over spring break (mid-March). Thinking Washington DC for museums, or Scottsdale for outdoors.

We have 2 hyatt, 1 35K Marriott & 1 Hilton.

Any suggestions on location?

Last edited:
Well, this is a new one. Finally got my rejection letter in my account and it says:
"we're unable to process your application because you submitted the application from an IP address located in a country or territory subject to U.S. economic sanction"

What?
Using a VPN?

Thank you, nice to see someone else from Chicagoland! I agree re: United - the allure of nonstops to HI is strong. Of course the allure of saving a lot of $$ / points is even stronger so I won't mind going another airline if it gets all 6 of us there!

I agree with you re: looking at 2024 and being strategic about this. I had initially thought maybe pushing to try to make this happen for 2023 summer, but that's feeling like a stretch. As it is, we'll have a new DVC membership to enjoy; we may as well use it for our 2023 travel plan. We'll be sufficiently satisfied with enjoying a new resort or 2 at WDW for easily the next year anyway!

So just thinking, will the HI trip be your only vacation that year? Or will you still want to go to Disney? (DLR or WDW). Or as @wanderlust7 suggested, adding an island to your HI trip (or DLR since many HI flights stopover in CA) Marriott has locations near DLR plus Swolphin is my go to at WDW.
Personally, I'd be hesitant to use all my Marriott points on a transfer but if that's your best use, you do you. No wrong way to points travel.

Has anyone used the Instacart credits on an account with membership paid for on a different card? For example credits on CFF but the membership is paid on CSP. ( For DoorDash, if you change payment cards, the dash pass benefit is gone so I was wondering how this new one works. )

Well, this is a new one. Finally got my rejection letter in my account and it says:
"we're unable to process your application because you submitted the application from an IP address located in a country or territory subject to U.S. economic sanction"

What?

Someone on r/churning got this same thing this week but uses a VPN. They didn't have it going through a "weird" country that would've made it an issue. I think they are just going to wait the 30 days and try again without the VPN.

You don't use anything that could alter things? Something besides vpn was brought up but I can't remember what it was.

Did you do it on a work computer? I ask because we do have a work vpn and that could have affected it. I didn't even know we had one until it started causing issues when working at home.

Also seems it's something that can't be reconned out of but I would still call and see what they say and make sure it's that.

So just thinking, will the HI trip be your only vacation that year? Or will you still want to go to Disney? (DLR or WDW). Or as @wanderlust7 suggested, adding an island to your HI trip (or DLR since many HI flights stopover in CA) Marriott has locations near DLR plus Swolphin is my go to at WDW.
Personally, I'd be hesitant to use all my Marriott points on a transfer but if that's your best use, you do you. No wrong way to points travel.
For 2024 if we can swing a HI trip, it will probably be our only trip of note, *especially* if we end up going for >1 week by using both DVC and Marriott points. I'm not 100% sure at this point, however, as I'm still in the planning stages.

Re: the Marriott points - agreed I am also hesitant to use them all to xfer to airline points! It does feel like I'll be losing value - of course if I'm wrong about that and transferring points to, say, United, is actually economically positive I'd love to know. I have looked at trying to use them at Swolphin but at least for dates I've searched, points were not an option. Maybe I need to look further in advance or on certain dates and not others?

I am about to book an overnight trip to Legoland New York. It is non-refundable. They have a protection plan that cost 10% which allows you cancel or switch dates. It would be a little over $100 to do this. I’m mostly considered with weather. Getting rained out or a hurricane.
I am so used to Disney which works with you if weather cancels your trip. Should I get get the protection? I really hate spending $100+ when nothing will probably happen to cancel it. But then I really don’t want to lose $1100 if it is pouring rain that weekend.

What do you smarter, savy travelers do?
I would recommend squaremouth.com. It's a price comparison site for travel insurance. The filter options are nice and the great thing is that it will cover most/all of your nonrefundable expenses instead of just airfare, just hotel, etc. Prices seem to be very competitive and making a claim went really smoothly for us when we had to cancel a March 2020 trip because of covid concerns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!