I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we were eligible for a business card! Both my wife and I are W2 all the way as of now. Unless I can convince my better half to get back into her old side hustle, I fear we're going to be staying this way.

Most on here apply with their side gig. Resale is a popular category. If you ever decide to do it, you'd apply as a sole proprietor with your name as the business name.

For 2024 if we can swing a HI trip, it will probably be our only trip of note, *especially* if we end up going for >1 week by using both DVC and Marriott points. I'm not 100% sure at this point, however, as I'm still in the planning stages.

Re: the Marriott points - agreed I am also hesitant to use them all to xfer to airline points! It does feel like I'll be losing value - of course if I'm wrong about that and transferring points to, say, United, is actually economically positive I'd love to know. I have looked at trying to use them at Swolphin but at least for dates I've searched, points were not an option. Maybe I need to look further in advance or on certain dates and not others?

It's not an exact science, but you can get an idea what each type of points are worth here. With Marriott at 0.75 cent per point and United at 1.3 cpp, it's not a good deal to transfer at 3:1. It can make sense to top off for a redemption or for a specific high value redemption.

You can use the Marriott flexible date search to find award availability. Do a one day reservation and check the my dates are flexible box. You can then see when there is points availability and how much.

Someone on r/churning got this same thing this week but uses a VPN. They didn't have it going through a "weird" country that would've made it an issue. I think they are just going to wait the 30 days and try again without the VPN.

You don't use anything that could alter things? Something besides vpn was brought up but I can't remember what it was.

Did you do it on a work computer? I ask because we do have a work vpn and that could have affected it. I didn't even know we had one until it started causing issues when working at home.

Also seems it's something that can't be reconned out of but I would still call and see what they say and make sure it's that.
No, did it on my home computer, the same one I used to apply and get approved for SW biz card back in March. It's all so strange. I called and was eventually connected with a really nice and helpful rep who confirmed it was a sol prop and was going to check about recon, then we got disconnected. Of course the 4 different people I spoke with when I called back weren't helpful at all. The last one told me they would email me...

Look at amex options right now just in case. We have so much to spend the next couple of months and no MSRs.

Well, this is a new one. Finally got my rejection letter in my account and it says:
"we're unable to process your application because you submitted the application from an IP address located in a country or territory subject to U.S. economic sanction"

What?
As @afan stated someone on Reddit had this same exact situation happen this week. He just posted about it again today in the frustration Friday section. That’s very bizarre. I wonder if there’s some kind of “glitch” because what are the odds 2 people reporting something so random in the same week.

I would recommend smartmouth.com. It's a price comparison site for travel insurance. The filter options are nice and the great thing is that it will cover most/all of your nonrefundable expenses instead of just airfare, just hotel, etc. Prices seem to be very competitive and making a claim went really smoothly for us when we had to cancel a March 2020 trip because of covid concerns.
I think you mean squaremouth .com? I've used that site before and find it easy to use. Smartmouth goes to a website fighting bad breath lol

As @afan stated someone on Reddit had this same exact situation happen this week. He just posted about it again today in the frustration Friday section. That’s very bizarre. I wonder if there’s some kind of “glitch” because what are the odds 2 people reporting something so random in the same week.

Could be a glitch but the other was at least using a VPN. I know a lot if people use them but some things like Starbucks don't allow them. I'd be inclined to think on their end it was something to do with the VPN.

I would think that the wrong box got marked on the denial letter in this case. I'd keep trying, maybe get that 1st person back or at least someone that'll look into it. If there's nothing different to your system it makes zero sense.

Only other explanation I can think of would be the internet provider has changed something and it's causing issues.

Hi,

I've been reading TPG and have decided to try to get serious about the points game. I'm currently using a Barclay Arrival+ that I've had for years.

I'll have a Player 2. He'll use the card I give him, but wouldn't be into remembering which card to use for what.

No new credit card applications for the past 5 years.

We average about $6000 per month on our card and pay off monthly.

We don't fly often - Houston and Dallas are home airports and we typically choose United or Southwest

Marriott and Hilton are my go to for hotels - I have small points balances for both

We tend to rotate between Disney World, Disney Land and cruises with a random "other" every few years.

Starting to plan for Hawaii in the next couple of years. DH says he'll only go if we fly Business or First. I've started researching airlines and hotels, but I'm not committed to anything at this point and open to all suggestions.

Thanks for your help!!

Has anyone used the Instacart credits on an account with membership paid for on a different card? For example credits on CFF but the membership is paid on CSP. ( For DoorDash, if you change payment cards, the dash pass benefit is gone so I was wondering how this new one works. )
Both DH and I have our CSPs as payment methods for Instacart and used one of them to do the complimentary Chase membership. Put two different orders in- one received the $15 statement credit from Chase and one did not. I have another instacart account where I enrolled our CSR. That credit posted.
Almost seems like I need a third Instacart account if I want to use three credits, though I am genuinely surprised that I didn't get the Statement Credit with Chase. It means Instacart is somehow notifying Chase who has enrolled in the promotion. It's been four days, so I don't expect the credit to post.
One of the advantages to multiple Instacart accounts (free) is that they send promos when you don't use in a while.

What I did when I app‘Ed the cap venture one was try the pre approval button. Says it doesn’t impact credit score and you‘d get an idea if they’d approve you.
Oooh I don't see that anywhere... all I have is the "apply now" but I will keep looking
Cap One is definitely sensitive to either new cards or inquiries or both - can't remember off the top of my head.
I have only one hard inquiry showing on CK and that was April 2021. Think that'll be a problem?

I have gotten Chase Biz cards since then, however.

Both DH and I have our CSPs as payment methods for Instacart and used one of them to do the complimentary Chase membership. Put two different orders in- one received the $15 statement credit from Chase and one did not. I have another instacart account where I enrolled our CSR. That credit posted.
Almost seems like I need a third Instacart account if I want to use three credits, though I am genuinely surprised that I didn't get the Statement Credit with Chase. It means Instacart is somehow notifying Chase who has enrolled in the promotion. It's been four days, so I don't expect the credit to post.
One of the advantages to multiple Instacart accounts (free) is that they send promos when you don't use in a while.
Yeah I was thinking it might be the case but I use the Instacart+ and I'm not signing up for multiple paid accounts.

Oooh I don't see that anywhere... all I have is the "apply now" but I will keep looking

I have only one hard inquiry showing on CK and that was April 2021. Think that'll be a problem?

Depends what you have showing on Experian - Cap One pulls all 3 bureaus. If only one hard inquiry from over a year ago, that won't be a problem - nonetheless Cap One can be picky so there could be any number of other factors that will go into their decision. No-one seems quite sure how the Cap One approval algorithm works.

That means Chase only pulled Experian? Since Credit Karma only covers Equifax and Transunion. You could freeze Experian and try the Cap1 app. But approval is unpredictable, you just have to be okay with a potential denial.

Depends what you have showing on Experian - Cap One pulls all 3 bureaus. If only one hard inquiry from over a year ago, that won't be a problem - nonetheless Cap One can be picky so there could be any number of other factors that will go into their decision. No-one seems quite sure how the Cap One approval algorithm works.
Ah, thank you for this
Experian does show all my Chase Biz inquiries too, and I have five showing since April 2021.

That means Chase only pulled Experian? Since Credit Karma only covers Equifax and Transunion. You could freeze Experian and try the Cap1 app. But approval is unpredictable, you just have to be okay with a potential denial.
I mean, it won't kill me but it sure would feel awful!

Side question: If I were to get a card (any of them) that include the GE credit, could I use it for my husband or does it have to be the cardholder?

Capital One question: my P2 has the CapOne Venture One (ancient - like 20 years old) and CapOne Venture X (got it Nov 2021). Any insight whether he can get approved for/get the SUB for the CapOne Venture Rewards card?

If not, any suggestions on other (non-business) CapOne cards that he could be approved for and combine points with his existing Venture X points?

Side question: If I were to get a card (any of them) that include the GE credit, could I use it for my husband or does it have to be the cardholder?

Absolutely. For GE, you pay online at the time of the application, so it's easy to use a card which is different from the applicant. After the fee and application is processed online, the application is reviewed and then he'll be invited to an in-person interview.

If you instead go the TSAPrecheck route (wouldn't be my recommendation), the fee is paid at the appointment, so there's mixed reviews on sending the applicant with a card not in their name.

I am back from Europe, my first big trip using points. I will share some insights for anyone planning.

2 nights/3 days at Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge
3 nights at Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome
4. nights at Margutta 19 in Rome (Hyatt Small Luxury Hotels)
3 nights near Barcelona with friends

DLP Sequoia Lodge was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be: decent but nothing fancy. We didn't purchase the package with breakfast because I didn't want to be tied to a buffet before the parks. I was happy with that choice. I stopped at Starbucks on the way to rope drop and it worked out perfectly. It was HOT on our arrival day. I literally almost passed out in the SW Hyper Space Mtn line. The parks are not set up to deal with the extreme heat like WDW. Many lines not shaded and not as much shade in general (or at least it seemed that way). Hotel a/c was exactly what I read, which is that it helps but does not get cold like U.S. a/c. If you keep your thermostat set at 70 or below, you will be barely comfortable. None of the indoor spaces are cold/refreshing like at WDW or DL. I really enjoyed the parks. I know many people do it as a day trip, but 1 day would not be enough if you are a true Dis fan who wants to soak it all in.

The Park Hyatt was as wonderful as you guys said it would be. We got an upgrade to a Deluxe Twin room, which was a nice surprise. The extra space wasn't necessary for the two of us but very nice to have. I LOVE their bathroom set up with separate double sinks and places for both people's luggage with drawers underneath. I hate having everyone's stuff spread all around the hotel room, so keeping it all in the bathroom kept our room super clean. The rain head shower was fabulous. The location is great, about 3 mins away from the Opera Metro stop and easy walking distance to Louvre. We went to the top of the Arc de Triomphe and I highly recommend it. This was the one thing I had not purchased in advance. There was a long line for tix (under the arc) and another line for security at the base. I purchased our tix online while we were standing there and we were allowed to skip to the front of the security line (we never figured out exactly why they let us skip but no one else because it appeared others had online tix as well). There is elevator access all the way to the top if needed (my nephew is recovering from hip surgery so we used it). Our Eiffel Tower tickets were at 9:30 for sunset. I highly recommend that time; It was amazing! We got up there as the sun was setting and the sunset colors in the background of the photos was so beautiful. Then you also get the fun of seeing it "sparkle."

We flew Vueling to Rome. I checked in online, but the line to check our bags was very long. I booked the Optima level fare which allowed us to check one bag and carry on 1 bag and 1 personal item. They did not question the size of either of our U.S. sized carry ons but one of them definitely didn't fit in the test bin when we tried it. However, I saw a guy arguing with them over his bag's size and it was literally in the test bin, so maybe they are sometimes strict. The entire boarding process was a chaotic mess. They had 3 boarding groups. We were in group 2 because I paid for exit row seats. The people were already lining up when we got there about an hour before departure (long before they started the actual boarding process). We should've just sat down and waited, but I was worried that all those people knew something we didn't (they did not). They started scanning our boarding passes and sending us down the "jetway" which was one of the outdoor/stairs gates (which I haven't seen in years). It was backed up so that took another 30 minutes after we were scanned. Then, they would not let us store any of our bags (even a fanny pack) under the seat in front of us because it was an exit row. That was an unexpected inconvenience when we had the middle and window seats. We also flew Vueling from FCO to BCN. I would use them again for sure.

We enjoyed Rome but it was so hot. (I will never go to Europe in July or August again.) Margutta 19 in Rome was a very nice small hotel in a good location about a block away from Piazza del Popolo. The Flamino metro was close, just on the other side of the piazza. We were on the top (4th) floor and had a nice terrace overlooking the hotel's back garden. We stayed in a classic suite, which was a large room with a sofa sitting area. Breakfast was included and it was a nice mini buffet that also included eggs to order. I used points for all 4 nights but did have to pay taxes of about $73. The staff were all super nice. I splurged on the Vatican after hours happy hour tour, and it was worth it. Our tour guide took us through the Vatican Museum and then when the museum was closed to the public, we had private (small group) access to the Sistene Chapel. After that, it ends with wine and cheese/hors d'oeuvres in the Pinecone Courtyard bistro. I splurged big time on a private tour of the Colosseum/Roman Forum that included the underground and second level. It was worth every penny. The driver picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel and we had our own guide who was extremely knowledgeable and nice. It was brutally hot, but we really enjoyed it. Another crazy boarding process for our flight to BCN, but at least both of our flights were close to on time and our luggage made it both times.

I almost forgot to mention the Biz class seats on Air France. We had a layover for 3 hrs in ATL and we spent our time in the Terminal F lounge. Food was decent. It was fairly crowded but we had no trouble finding seats. The biz class was a surprise for my nephew, so it was fun seeing his reaction when we boarded. FAs were very nice. We are both very picky eaters. I skipped the entree and had the express dinner so I could get to sleep. He chose the chicken entree, but they never brought it to him. We thought they were still in the middle of the entree service but they were brining out desserts. I told him to ask for it, but by that point he said he didn't want it anyway. That was the only hiccup. As a former Delta flight attendant (left in 2005), it was interesting to see how less formal the first/biz class service now is. I know part of it is a result of the Covid changes. We watched a movie during dinner then we both tried to sleep. They had a decent selection on the entertainment system. I slept pretty well for a few hours (with a little help from a prescription sleep med). On the way back, I had a very tight connection in CDG because we arrived late, so I didn't get a chance to enjoy the flagship lounge. I did pop in there to check it out and grab some snacks.

Flight back from CDG to DTW was long but the FAs were great. Having GE was great. Our flight must have been the last international arrival at DTW because there was literally no one else at the border patrol/customs. They have lots of GE kiosks and it took me all of 45 seconds to do my scan. I highly recommend GE. I had a 3 hr layover so I went to the lounge. The Michigan men's basketball coach and some of the players came in. Coach Howard was sitting across from me 3 feet away. My nephew had also run into the Clemson men's basketball team in Paris at a McDonald's at midnight. He is also a college athlete, so he struck up a conversation with them.

A random observation: you cannot access Hulu while in Europe. So be sure you download anything you want to watch while traveling there. We used ATT's international plan which is $10 per day (max $100 per billing cycle). Thanks to everyone who has provided advice over the last 2 years! I hope to pay that help forward, so please feel free to ask any questions.

Capital One question: my P2 has the CapOne Venture One (ancient - like 20 years old) and CapOne Venture X (got it Nov 2021). Any insight whether he can get approved for/get the SUB for the CapOne Venture Rewards card?

If not, any suggestions on other (non-business) CapOne cards that he could be approved for and combine points with his existing Venture X points?
I have had two Venture cards in the past. I have the X now. I intend to try for the Venture one sometime in the next month or two for that same reason. Hoping it works

Last edited:
Is there an easy way to see how many referral points you’ve made with a particular AMEX card in a calendar year? And if that card is tapped out, then another AMEX (same holder) can generate the referrals and get the referral points, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter