I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a $35k condo assessment due by July 31st (less painful bc they discounted it off the purchase price when we closed in May). Even better, we can charge it to a credit card or split between multiple, they are not adding any transaction fee (yes we verified), and it codes as travel!! :love1:

Sapphire Reserve is the best of our current cards at 3%. What other new travel card do you think we should consider? Any great sign up bonuses with crazy high MSR? We already have (many) Chase ink biz, sapphire, and SW along with 2 Hilton Amex. All others are fair game.

I had a similar large tax bill due a year or two back and the recommendation from this board from our two player mode family was: 1-2 Amex Biz Plat cards and a Chase biz Ink, if I recall at the time. If I had that kind of bill coming up, I would definitely be looking for multiple new MSRs. I have been really happy with the Venture X because the AF is easily recouped and it earns 2x on everything, which is awesome. I think the SUB is 75k points for $4k spend. I'd probably throw in a couple of Inks, as well as be looking into Amex.

I know there are some really big MR earning SUBs out there right now if you have big spend- not sure if those are targeted. The Amex Biz Plat offer is 150k +10k for adding an ee. Of course that comes with a big AF, so you have to decide if that's something you want to do.

ETA: Here is the link for the DoC post about the 250k Amex Biz Plat with $30k spend, if you prefer to just do 1-2 cards. I've never done any of those call in offers, so I am not necessarily recommending this, just thought I'd throw it out as an option.

Last edited:
I'm looking to use UR to book my daughter's London semester flights. I'd like to book directly with United, but the points difference is so high, I may end up using the Chase portal.
A few questions: 1) don't these prices seem high for economy? I've got a few scanner apps watching for me and they say to keep waiting before I book.
2) Why the vast points difference between the Chase portal and directly with United?
3) If these rates continue, is it better to hold these URs and just pay for the flights?
thanks! :daisy:

View attachment 679600
View attachment 679601
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago when looking at flights to Dublin. Pretty much everyone recommended that I not purchase my DD's ticket through the Chase portal. With so many cancelled flights and travel issues right now, you want to have as much flexibility and the least headaches as possible. Flight prices everywhere seem high to me. I have booked so many $1K+ flights within the US this year and I rarely did before.

Does anyone have a Toyota RAV4 hybrid?
We have a 2019 one. A couple months after we bought it, Toyota came out with the plug-in hybrid version and DH was so disappointed that he had just gotten the hybrid, if he'd known then he would've waited for the Toyota RAV4 Prime. But it was very difficult to find one, and it cost a whole lot more than the regular hybrid so I guess it worked out well anyway. We get around 44MPG. I can try to answer questions about it but it's mostly DH's daily vehicle so I might have to consult with him.

I drive a plug-in hybrid Kia Niro and since I drive short distances, I'm rarely using any gas, and we have solar panels so we don't pay much for electricity either (the last two months were $0). When I run the Niro in hybrid mode I get around 60MPG.

Speaking of Marriott FNCs, I used my last 2 "Covid" SUB nights this weekend in D.C. before they expired. I do not recommend the Ven Embassy Row if you are looking for a higher end redemption of a 50K FNC. Location is good, very close to Dupont Cir Metro and it has a decent rooftop pool (though it is small and be warned that people were smoking certain substances openly both days - and yes there were also families with children out there at the time). However, it is an old property that has been remodeled. It has small rooms, low ceilings, the bathroom is very tiny, and they have double beds. And maybe the weirdest part of it was that they had "mismatched" toiletries in the bathroom. The shampoo/conditioner were not the same brands and the lotion, body wash and bar soap were all different brands. My friend and I (who both stay in a lot of hotels) literally thought someone had left behind some random toiletries. We asked for more and they brought the same exact hodge podge combo. It's not a terrible place, just not worth 50K pts. There is also no onsite self park and valet is $52 per night, but luckily I knew that ahead of time so it wasn't a surprise. I could have stayed at the JW for the same amt of points, so I was very disappointed.

I stayed at the Hilton Atlanta airport a few weeks ago and I noticed the same thing about the toiletries. It was odd, and it did look like someone had left something behind. I get that they are trying to be more mindful and I appreciate it but it gave off a gross vibe. I know its a minor issue but I'm getting to where I'd rather they just not even have any. I had another stay someplace else, I can't remember the brand, and they have a lotion I really like. Then I realized the one in our room barely had any in the little bottle - meaning they had left a previous one for us - ick. I just let that go...

We have a 2019 one. A couple months after we bought it, Toyota came out with the plug-in hybrid version and DH was so disappointed that he had just gotten the hybrid, if he'd known then he would've waited for the Toyota RAV4 Prime. But it was very difficult to find one, and it cost a whole lot more than the regular hybrid so I guess it worked out well anyway. We get around 44MPG. I can try to answer questions about it but it's mostly DH's daily vehicle so I might have to consult with him.

I drive a plug-in hybrid Kia Niro and since I drive short distances, I'm rarely using any gas, and we have solar panels so we don't pay much for electricity either (the last two months were $0). When I run the Niro in hybrid mode I get around 60MPG.
Thanks for the response! We’re looking at the XLE Premium. They’re hard to find right now though in the color we want. The good thing is we aren’t in a rush to get one. Dh drove an hour to get the exact one we wanted yesterday and it sold right before he got there.

Hi all! My sincere apologies if this has been asked and answered. I have a Bonvoy Boundless question - I just got approved. My question is about the “path to gold” with 35,000 spend. We pay tuition that, if we used the card, would get us there between September 2022 and June 2023. When it says you need to spend 35,000 in a year, does that mean account year (like June-June if I just opened the account) or calendar year? Do I lose my progress on Jan 1? If I do, it would take until Dec 2023 to spend the money (spring tuition and the following fall). If I qualify for gold in December 2023, how long do I keep that status? Paying tuition by card comes with a fee, so I don’t want to do it if the benefit isn’t worth it. Sorry if my question is convoluted.

Add me to the list of don’t chase gold advice. I have gold due to some Amex plats and it is utterly useless for anything. DH is platinum and that is also useless. This past weekend at the Swan Reserve and he couldn’t even get a late checkout for noon. We have two Amex Brilliant cards between us that will be canceled or downgraded when the AF hits.

There are many other cards that will get you a better bang for your buck on spending. The Hyatt personal card will get you an additional category 1-4 free night certificate for $15k spend and it already comes with 5 elite nights. You could probably spend your way to Excursionist and do the MGM life status match merry go round from there.

If you have plans to travel to Europe (and don’t mind paying crazy taxes and fees) the British Airways card will get you a companion certificate that is also good for business and first class after $30k spend.

The Hilton Surpass and business cards offer a free weekend night certificate for $15k spend each year.

Any card offering 2x on all purchases is also a good bet. A Citi Double cash paired with a Citi Premier will provide lots of options for both cash back and transfers to travel partners. Capital One Venture or Venture X. Amex Blue Business plus is 2x MRs and they are able to be transferred to travel partners. I’d also argue for the Chase Freedom unlimited at 1.5x on all spending if you pair it with a premium card like the CSP or CSR that can transfer to partners or be redeemed at 1.25 or 1.5 respectively via the UR portal.

I’d also argue for the Chase Freedom unlimited at 1.5x on all spending if you pair it with a premium card like the CSP or CSR that can transfer to partners or be redeemed at 1.25 or 1.5 respectively via the UR portal.
This is my other option, but I did the math and it looks like I'll still pay a bit more in fees than I'll make in points. Sigh. I think I'll just avoid the fees and keep paying the tuition the old way.

most of the time if the fee is below 2% it's worth it if it's more than that I tend to not do it.
I always get new cards before tuition hits and while the fee is 2.25%, seem to find it more than worthwhile. I remember having a long math-ed out discussion with WVMomof3 😢about it in the good old days.

This year after paying $18K in tuition, I'll be earning 161K UR, 80K AA miles and finishing off an AU for 20K MRs. So for $405 in fees, earning $1600 in UR (if using $0.01 cpp), $800 in AA miles (again, assuming a value of a penny/point) and $200 in MRs. So for me a total(hypothetically, since I almost always use points v. cash so the actual value is much higher), is still worth >$2200.
(None of these cards have AFs except for one which has a first year credit equal to the AF so no loss of profit with AFs, either.)

Thanks for the response! We’re looking at the XLE Premium. They’re hard to find right now though in the color we want. The good thing is we aren’t in a rush to get one. Dh drove an hour to get the exact one we wanted yesterday and it sold right before he got there.
Argh, good luck! We also had a hard time in 2019 and back then there was a 4 month long waiting list that we had to get on. It's a really good vehicle, and definitely the one we take for longer drives. We have the Limited trimline and DH's favorite feature is the 360 bird's eye camera on it.

I stayed at the Hilton Atlanta airport a few weeks ago and I noticed the same thing about the toiletries. It was odd, and it did look like someone had left something behind. I get that they are trying to be more mindful and I appreciate it but it gave off a gross vibe. I know its a minor issue but I'm getting to where I'd rather they just not even have any. I had another stay someplace else, I can't remember the brand, and they have a lotion I really like. Then I realized the one in our room barely had any in the little bottle - meaning they had left a previous one for us - ick. I just let that go...
This just happened to us this past weekend. We were at a Marriott in Anaheim (outstanding property) and when I went to use the little lotion bottle I noticed it look used. I was stunned and confused, and kept looking at it because I have never had that happen. But yea, it was half empty. I obviously tossed it, but I thought it was weird and probably just an oversight by housekeeping.

So the standard award room is an Orchid King, which sleeps 3, if I recall correctly. The Orchid King and Orchid 2 Queen room go for the same cash price. I emailed them and asked if they could switch our award room to the 2 Queen Room and they said that they could. As far as I am aware, there is no upcharge. One was not disclosed to me. This resort is not all-inclusive, so I don't see a reason why there would be any additional charge. Fingers crossed I am not wrong.
The terms list an extra fee. I have emailed but only an automated response acknowledgment so far. Los Altos is not all inclusive and they add $150 per night although breakfast is included

Attachments

• CA93476F-D258-4495-B966-487F8DDF96FA.jpeg
    CA93476F-D258-4495-B966-487F8DDF96FA.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
Back again with more questions. Thanks to the tips here I’m actually going to try for the SW Priority card. What is the current advice on the maximum amount of credit chase will extend for personal cards? Anything I should know before applying?

My last CC application was 12/30/19. I have a number of different cards, but my current chase cards are the CSP, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Disney Premier, and CIC.

I’m applying for the 75,000 points, so I don’t want to mess up and lose out on that offer (it ends 7/11). Thanks!

Does anyone have the remuneration (or whatever it’s called) number for Chase if an application gets declined? This happened the last time with my SW card but was approved once I called. Thanks 😊

Back again with more questions. Thanks to the tips here I’m actually going to try for the SW Priority card. What is the current advice on the maximum amount of credit chase will extend for personal cards? Anything I should know before applying?

My last CC application was 12/30/19. I have a number of different cards, but my current chase cards are the CSP, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Disney Premier, and CIC.

I’m applying for the 75,000 points, so I don’t want to mess up and lose out on that offer (it ends 7/11). Thanks!
It’s usually 50% of household income or around $75,000 whichever is lower across all Chase cards…personal and business …

Remember to use a support link from P2 for the additional 20k RR points

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter