I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
delta has a flash sale to Europe for 140-150k points in delta one for 48 hours. I just checked Octoberfest and it doesn't apply but other random weekends look good to go.
Edit out of mco looks like its only to germany.

You‘ve got it. I would compare the cash price with Marriott reward point price to see which is the better option, even with the 50% bonus.

I hope you and your family are doing well. I was just drinking of your mom the other day when a picture of Sheraton lounge at Sand Key popped up. That was where I met your mom.
View attachment 679451
Thank you! Also thank you to the other person that caught that it was more like 1/3 off. I realized this right after I posted here and felt silly.

Also, it is nice to know my mom is still remembered in this corner of the internet. I just took my first trip since she died with my sister and it was a real struggle without my personal travel advisor on hand. The trip to Seattle is with my bf to his friend's wedding. I start grad school the next week so we are trying to book as much as we can with points because money will be tight after that. I have sapphire preferred, freedom unlimited and freedom flex. Any tips on how to maximize benefits with these cards are welcome!

Thank you! Also thank you to the other person that caught that it was more like 1/3 off. I realized this right after I posted here and felt silly.

Also, it is nice to know my mom is still remembered in this corner of the internet. I just took my first trip since she died with my sister and it was a real struggle without my personal travel advisor on hand. The trip to Seattle is with my bf to his friend's wedding. I start grad school the next week so we are trying to book as much as we can with points because money will be tight after that. I have sapphire preferred, freedom unlimited and freedom flex. Any tips on how to maximize benefits with these cards are welcome!
Also, I am moving to St. Louis in August so if there any locals here I would appreciate tips for that as well!

Also, I am moving to St. Louis in August so if there any locals here I would appreciate tips for that as well!
Congrats on grad school! I know your mom would be so proud :) She would also be so happy that you're still traveling!

You have 3 good solid UR earning cards and if you don't want to bother opening up new cards right now (completely understandable!) then my best advice is to just ensure you're maxing out the category bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x travel/dining), you're signing up for the flex 5% back rotating quarterly categories and remembering that drug stores always earns 3X so if there are gift cards to places you use at the local CVS/Walgreens, then buying them there as well as medication refills, etc and finally using your Unlimited for nonbonused spend.

If your bf/DB/DS are interested in cards, then you can refer them and earn a nice referral bonus from these cards as well.

If you're ever interested in getting a new card then please ask here-we are all more than happy to help!

Argh, good luck! We also had a hard time in 2019 and back then there was a 4 month long waiting list that we had to get on. It's a really good vehicle, and definitely the one we take for longer drives. We have the Limited trimline and DH's favorite feature is the 360 bird's eye camera on it.
Do you think it’s a good car for just driving around town? The majority of the time it’ll just be me driving it around where we live. We’re also looking at an older CRV which would save us a ton of money. The new 2023 Corolla cross looks awesome too though lol. So many choices

Congrats on grad school! I know your mom would be so proud :) She would also be so happy that you're still traveling!

You have 3 good solid UR earning cards and if you don't want to bother opening up new cards right now (completely understandable!) then my best advice is to just ensure you're maxing out the category bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x travel/dining), you're signing up for the flex 5% back rotating quarterly categories and remembering that drug stores always earns 3X so if there are gift cards to places you use at the local CVS/Walgreens, then buying them there as well as medication refills, etc and finally using your Unlimited for nonbonused spend.

If your bf/DB/DS are interested in cards, then you can refer them and earn a nice referral bonus from these cards as well.

If you're ever interested in getting a new card then please ask here-we are all more than happy to help!

Maybe I'm just having a hard day but you exchange just made me tear up. @WVMo3DD, I still think of your mom and although we never met in real life, I felt like I related to her as she, like a lot of us, was trying to juggle her kids plans/activities while also doing as much as she could to helping you all see the world. Your activities between blogging, school and travel always was so interesting to me.

Your Mom would definitely be proud of us and so are the rest of us here. So glad to see that you are continuing on with your life and living it to the fullest. That's what all Mom's want for their kids and we are all (our entire group) here to help you in any way we can.

The terms list an extra fee. I have emailed but only an automated response acknowledgment so far. Los Altos is not all inclusive and they add $150 per night although breakfast is included
Ha! I emailed too (in the middle of the night) because it hadn't occurred to me there would be an extra fee on a points booking, and I didn't want to be surprised at check-in. I too am waiting on their response. I'm kinda meh on the Costa Rica planning... not sure why, so if there is a significant charge, idk...

I have a note about Hyatt bookings for SLH properties that I pulled from somewhere on the internet. Not sure if it is correct?

All World of Hyatt members receive benefits including complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi, early check-in (based on availability at check-in), late check out (based on availability at check-in), and a one-category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)

Ha! I emailed too (in the middle of the night) because it hadn't occurred to me there would be an extra fee on a points booking, and I didn't want to be surprised at check-in. I too am waiting on their response. I'm kinda meh on the Costa Rica planning... not sure why, so if there is a significant charge, idk...

I have a note about Hyatt bookings for SLH properties that I pulled from somewhere on the internet. Not sure if it is correct?

All World of Hyatt members receive benefits including complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi, early check-in (based on availability at check-in), late check out (based on availability at check-in), and a one-category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)

It's from here https://www.hyatt.com/brands/small-luxury-hotels-of-the-world

I looked because Tokyo station is part of slh and I hadn't seen any benefits for there so I went looking. The hotel page on the app focuses more on what's not included so this is good to know but I won't expect anything, if I get to go.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of MCI airport? I've got a quick business trip there this weekend and it looks like I'm going to have at least three hours sitting at the airport for my SW flight. Most specifically looking for food recommendations.

Not a local but I can give you a few food places to check out. Pappy's Smokehouse, The Gramophone, and The Bridge Tap House and Wine Bar.

When you get a chance for some fun, the City Museum is a must do. Be sure you dress to play like a little kid.

Anybody willing to share thoughts on my current setup? Any gaps or red flags that you see? Any categories I'm not maximizing?

AMEX Plat - Working 150K SUB with non-category spend. Once SUB hits, will use for flights only, then cancel on anniversary
AMEX Gold - Working 90K SUB with 4X Grocery and Dining spend. Will continue to use for Groceries and Dining, then cancel on anniversary
AMEX Everyday - Opened so I can hang on to MR when I close Plat and Gold.
AMEX BCE - Not currently using. Will upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred for 6X groceries when I cancel Gold.
Ollo Optimum - 2.5% on everything. Will use for non-category spend once Plat SUB hits.
Citi Custom Cash - Set up for 5% Gas
BOA Customized Cash - Set up for 3% Online Shopping
Discover - 5% rotating categories
Chase Prime - 5% Amazon
US Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, Internet, and Streaming (excluding the Disney Bundle, which is currently free on Amex Plat)
WF Propel - 3% on Hotels. Will use for 3% on Flights and Dining when Plat and Gold are cancelled.
Barclaycard jetBlue - 50% off jetBlue in-flight purchases. Will upgrade to jetBlue Plus when AMEX Plat is cancelled and I lose the $200 checked bag reimbursement

Wish list:
- WF Autograph to replace WF Propel. Basically the same card, but Visa instead of AMEX and a chance for a new SUB.
- AMEX Green to continue stockpiling MR if and only if I get a targeted offer

I'm on 5/24 timeout until at least May 2024, so no Chase cards for me for awhile, but P2 will probably get a Southwest card some time next year.

delta has a flash sale to Europe for 140-150k points in delta one for 48 hours. I just checked Octoberfest and it doesn't apply but other random weekends look good to go.
Edit out of mco looks like its only to germany.
Here's a link to the details. "These deals allow for travel from US gateways to Germany or Denmark starting as soon as July 5th, and going all the way until January 4th, 2023. You just need to find space on Delta.com and book at least 14 days before you plan to travel."

I was able to find availability to CDG Paris as well as Dublin, in addition to Germany and Denmark.

Anybody willing to share thoughts on my current setup? Any gaps or red flags that you see? Any categories I'm not maximizing?

AMEX Plat - Working 150K SUB with non-category spend. Once SUB hits, will use for flights only, then cancel on anniversary
AMEX Gold - Working 90K SUB with 4X Grocery and Dining spend. Will continue to use for Groceries and Dining, then cancel on anniversary
AMEX Everyday - Opened so I can hang on to MR when I close Plat and Gold.
AMEX BCE - Not currently using. Will upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred for 6X groceries when I cancel Gold.
Ollo Optimum - 2.5% on everything. Will use for non-category spend once Plat SUB hits.
Citi Custom Cash - Set up for 5% Gas
BOA Customized Cash - Set up for 3% Online Shopping
Discover - 5% rotating categories
Chase Prime - 5% Amazon
US Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, Internet, and Streaming (excluding the Disney Bundle, which is currently free on Amex Plat)
WF Propel - 3% on Hotels. Will use for 3% on Flights and Dining when Plat and Gold are cancelled.
Barclaycard jetBlue - 50% off jetBlue in-flight purchases. Will upgrade to jetBlue Plus when AMEX Plat is cancelled and I lose the $200 checked bag reimbursement

Wish list:
- WF Autograph to replace WF Propel. Basically the same card, but Visa instead of AMEX and a chance for a new SUB.
- AMEX Green to continue stockpiling MR if and only if I get a targeted offer

I'm on 5/24 timeout until at least May 2024, so no Chase cards for me for awhile, but P2 will probably get a Southwest card some time next year.
What are you considering the MR worth? And do you take advantage of the credits on the Gold? I usually get close to 2 cpp transferring to Delta and use 80% of the credits so I'm getting 8% back on grocery spend for an effective AF of $58.

Here's a link to the details. "These deals allow for travel from US gateways to Germany or Denmark starting as soon as July 5th, and going all the way until January 4th, 2023. You just need to find space on Delta.com and book at least 14 days before you plan to travel."

I was able to find availability to CDG Paris as well as Dublin, in addition to Germany and Denmark.
paris again? hmmm lol I dont see Paris or Dublin what airports is it out of? looking now,

Last edited:
So the standard award room is an Orchid King, which sleeps 3, if I recall correctly. The Orchid King and Orchid 2 Queen room go for the same cash price. I emailed them and asked if they could switch our award room to the 2 Queen Room and they said that they could. As far as I am aware, there is no upcharge. One was not disclosed to me. This resort is not all-inclusive, so I don't see a reason why there would be any additional charge. Fingers crossed I am not wrong.
The terms list an extra fee. I have emailed but only an automated response acknowledgment so far. Los Altos is not all inclusive and they add $150 per night although breakfast is included
So the response from the resort was

"Greetings from Hotel Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa!

The rate per extra person is $65usd +13% tax, per night, per room."

@CyndiLouWho

Here's a good points review from FT from just this month, booked on points with no mention of an extra fee for 4 people in the 2 queen room, so that's a good sign.
I responded above that the email I received states there is an additional fee pp. Let's see what response you get.
I'm actually super excited about CR. DS wanted Hawaii but that's a 12 hour or more flight and I'd rather not. CR is much shorter especially if there are any non stops. Plus we loved CR our 2 previous visits but haven't been in 10 years. That said after looking over the property, I'm not sure Tabacon is for us. Not a lot close by, town is a cab ride (not renting a car.) When we stayed near Arenal before, the volcano was active and we were only there 2 nights. This time it would be 4 nights. Manuel Antonio has tons of wildlife & beach, probably more our style.

I have a question on the Citi Premier. The 80000, I saw an article about a year old that said they can be redeemed for cash (I think it said direct deposit or statement credit) does anyone know if that's true? Also does anyone know if the hotel rates etc, are higher than booking directly, when you book through their website?
Need a new card, want low or no fee and most bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter