I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember to use the $10 phone credit on the Biz Plat also.

I am curious why it is struggle to keep up with the SW credits? I just logon to the RR and can see all of the funds and just use whatever is expiring first when I need to purchase a ticket.
I can never see anything and have to find the confirmation number of the canceled flight. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

I washed my Airpod Pros this weekend. Ugh. I tried rice, the Water Eject app, trying to play a 10 minute Youtube video that's supposed to fix them, etc. One is mostly okay and the other one is okay if I turn noise canceling off. So I just bought a new pair on Amazon. Got $28 off using 1 MR and had gift cards for most of the rest. I'm on my phone or Zoom 4+ hours a day so I consider these a need. I did look at Chase but they're 24,900 UR points vs. $175 on Amazon. I'm headed to the Homestead tomorrow for four nights (I may have a panic attack being in Western VA for that long) so I'll have to wait until Friday to get them.

Amex Biz Plat 35% back points question:

Just booked a flight to Iceland, business class, through the Amex portal. It included a JetBlue repositioning flight to BOS (same as if I had purchased through Iceland Air directly). Then after 4 days in Iceland, flight to Paris where we'll be spending the New Year.
Now, both the Iceland Air flights are actually business class, but the flight to BOS operated by Jet Blue is not. So I worry that Amex will say this won't count and won't give me my 35% points back. Anyone know?

I've been following along trying to learn for a few months and still not sure about my plan. I currently have:
CF- use for 5%
Discover-use for 5 %
BOA Royal Caribbean- use when planning a cruise
AE Hilton card

DH has a disney chase preferred for disney trips which I'm about to downgrade to the free

Last 15 years- since kids has been disney or cruise but planning on Yellowstone for 7/2023 and Europe cruise for 7/2024 so I need help. I'm thinking I will open a chase sapphire preferred card to earmark points for rental car for yellowstone next year. It looks like united out of Atlanta will be the best for airfare but I'm thinking to wait until August then DH and I both get seperate united preferred card. Using those points we will each book ourselves and 1 child to get the points and 4 total free bags. Then I plan on downgrading that card to avoid the AF after the first free year. I plan on doing the same next August for delta preferred (get the 2 cards) then downgrade it to use towards airfare to Europe. I have opened 1 card and DH 2 cards(store cards) in the last 24 months both over a year ago. I put $1400 monthly on cards and have a quick trip- around 3K next month and in September will have a $3500 braces bill to put on card and pay off . Any thoughts or suggestions?

Can you guys check my strategy here? I'm working SUBs for both AMEX Plat and Gold at the same time. My plan is to open a Green card six months from now, and immediately bang out that SUB. Six months after that, I cancel both the Plat and Gold when the AFs hit. My understanding is that I can hang onto my MRs by virtue of still having the Green open and having completed 12 full months with each of the first two. Then, when the second Green AF is slated to post, I start hitting them up for retention or targeted upgrade offers. I believe upgrades are exempt from the "once per lifetime" bonus restriction.
Two other options for keeping the MR would be the Everyday credit card with no AF or a Blue Business Plus, two MR/$ with no AF.

I can never see anything and have to find the confirmation number of the canceled flight. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
When I log into DD's account, click on "My Account," then I can see her travel funds and click on "View Details" under the dollar amount to see the confirmations and expiration dates, does that not work for you?
1656303309482.jpeg

If you get a Plus fare with your amex airline credit then that will be transferable travel funds for a year from original booking...FT is still showing dps that <$100 (and even <$109) are still working.

Anyone who's been to Costa Rica stayed at Los Altos Resort or Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Hyatt properties)? Pro or cons? Difficulty booking?
Both seem to have availablity for my dates but of course won't let me actually see because I don't have enough points and I don't want to transfer without being certain.

If you do not login to your Hyatt account - you should be able to see points availability.

We've booked the Andaz for next February - split stay with The Tabacon Thermal Resort. Had no problem booking either one.

We are also booked for Tabacon and Andaz for March. Did you book flights and if so, did you find any good redemptions? I am waiting for SW flights to open, as we specifically selected Costa Rica to take more advantage of SW CP.

Just booked a flight to Iceland, business class, through the Amex portal. It included a JetBlue repositioning flight to BOS (same as if I had purchased through Iceland Air directly). Then after 4 days in Iceland, flight to Paris where we'll be spending the New Year.
Now, both the Iceland Air flights are actually business class, but the flight to BOS operated by Jet Blue is not. So I worry that Amex will say this won't count and won't give me my 35% points back. Anyone know?
Any chance JetBlue is your selected airline for the $200 incidental credit? If so, you'll get the 35% rebate regardless of class for JetBlue.

If not, I might suggest asking on FT, where they have a specific thread on the Biz Plat rebate program and might be able to answer. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'd be interested to know the answer as well.

When I log into DD's account, click on "My Account," then I can see her travel funds and click on "View Details" under the dollar amount to see the confirmations and expiration dates, does that not work for you?
View attachment 679543

If you get a Plus fare with your amex airline credit then that will be transferable travel funds for a year from original booking...FT is still showing dps that <$100 (and even <$109) are still working.
i did $104.98 without any problem.

I am going on a trip to the Seattle area in August and I am using Chase points to pay for hotels. I saw there is a 50% bonus to transfer points to Marriott which is basically half off if I transfer just to pay for hotels? Or am I mistaken?
I first thought of it that way too, but it’s more like a third off. Say you want to pay for a $300 hotel, you need to transfer $200 in points (20,000 points) and then you get the bonus of 50% (of what you transfer) added afterwards, which would be 10,000 points ($100). I still think it’s a decent deal.
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on this!

Question about IHG card. This is my first year with the card. When does the free night certificate appear (where do I look for it) and what’s the value of it? I need to add a day on to the first and lady day of a trip I have planned for next year and hoping I can use it!
In your IHG account there's an option for "Rewards Wallet" now. The FNCs are shown there and arrive within a few days of your card anniversary.

In checking for approximate wait time between anniversary and issuance, I just noticed that both my certs that had arrived earlier this year (like Dec/Jan) are now dated with May2022-May2023 validity. I guess something to do with the update to Flex certs. I'll take a few extra months. But can't help with a better idea of when it'll arrive.

We are also booked for Tabacon and Andaz for March. Did you book flights and if so, did you find any good redemptions? I am waiting for SW flights to open, as we specifically selected Costa Rica to take more advantage of SW CP.

We went for convenience and booked the non-stop out of BOS on JetBlue. Was 43k JetBlue points roundtrip each. A fairly average redemption, but we have a lot of JetBlue points. Of course, JetBlue have already changed the flight times to less favorable ones - and who knows what else changes between now and Feb.

We booked 3 months ago, and at the time, I did find a good award on AA in Business, for about 68k AAdavantage roundtrip, but it was connecting in MIA and we decided the non-stop was the better option in this case.

Thinking about getting a CIU. My last card was the Amex Gold on 4/2/2022. I also have the United biz which I opened on 1/29/2022 and working on finishing the spend. Last $1200 to go. I’m 4/24. Too soon or not? Also thinking of closing my United Quest at the year mark (7/1 for AF) since I have the United biz. Will that lower me to 3/24?

yeah im not 100% sure on jetblue but amex portal regardless of carrier= redemption I think.

I'm looking to use UR to book my daughter's London semester flights. I'd like to book directly with United, but the points difference is so high, I may end up using the Chase portal.
A few questions: 1) don't these prices seem high for economy? I've got a few scanner apps watching for me and they say to keep waiting before I book.
2) Why the vast points difference between the Chase portal and directly with United?
3) If these rates continue, is it better to hold these URs and just pay for the flights?
thanks! :daisy:

Chase flight as of June 27.png
United flight as of June 27.png

Does anyone have a referral link for the Chase Freedom Unlimited? I'm going to apply for that. I think there used to be a location here with referral links but I can't find it.

Edited to Add that I think I remember now that the links weren't here on the DISBoards but somewhere else, another group that I had to join first. I don't remember what it was called.

I'm looking to use UR to book my daughter's London semester flights. I'd like to book directly with United, but the points difference is so high, I may end up using the Chase portal.
A few questions: 1) don't these prices seem high for economy? I've got a few scanner apps watching for me and they say to keep waiting before I book.
2) Why the vast points difference between the Chase portal and directly with United?
3) If these rates continue, is it better to hold these URs and just pay for the flights?

View attachment 679600
View attachment 679601
Seems high you try looking at partners? To transfer to?

View attachment 679600
View attachment 679601
I can answer #2. The UR portal points value is based on the price. The UA value is their point system which is not price based. Sometimes their points redemptions make absolutely no sense.

Are your URs associated with a CSR? If so, maybe consider paying for the ticket directly through united and then using PYB with dining out charges equal to the cost of the ticket. That way, you are booked directly with the airline, not though a third party travel agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter