I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I use Plastiq to pay property taxes with an Amex? For some reason I thought this was no longer an option, but I may be getting that confused. Also, is it helpful to use a support link?

im not sure... it works on AA though haha
I don't think it works for United status. DH and I are very close to gold right now and DD is almost at platinum (for whatever that's worth), all earned by taking actual flights in 2022. Just hoping the next few flights will push us over the edge. Calling United, sometimes they say it will, and sometimes they say it won't. So it's as clear as mud.

Can I use Plastiq to pay property taxes with an Amex? For some reason I thought this was no longer an option, but I may be getting that confused. Also, is it helpful to use a support link?

You can. I pay mine direct though since the county takes cc and the fee is cheaper.

The current support offer is pay at least $2500 within 30 days of sign-up and get 1000 fee free dollars (2500 for the supportee).

Trip report: Italy: Venice and Rome

Thought I’d share a travel hacking/points based trip report for Italy. We paid points for flights and gcs for AirBNBs, while working towards an MSR. Detailed cost breakdown in post 3. This trip is up there with my favorite trips of all time.

Travel party of 7: Myself and husband, 45, our younger kids, 9 and 13, known as “the lils”, our daughter 21 and her BF and my mom, 66.

This is a trip we rebooked three times due to COVID, plus a bunch of flight changes occurred before our flight. I’d say this was maybe the hardest trip ever to keep together! About eight weeks before our trip, my mom began having some left hip pain. I strongly urged her to see an ortho asap, but she opted not to, and alas, a week before our trip, she was hobbling around on a cane. I requested courtesy wheelchairs for the airports.

Trip Insurance. I always buy trip medical insurance and did this for our travel party of 7 ($141 total). $100,000 secondary medical insurance pp, $0 deductible and $1M med evac, + more coverage. My husband and niece were once hospitalized in Mexico and during our hospital stay we met many American and Canadian families without insurance coverage who were facing bills in the tens of thousands of dollars. Over the years, I’ve filed 4 claims with various travel insurance companies and it is ALWAYS a hassle, but I’ve always been glad to have the coverage. Cost= $141

Venice- post #1

Airfare and Lounges.
We scored (5) business class award tickets on Air France during a 25% Amex transfer bonus to Flying Blue, so paid just 44k points per person, OW from Chicago-Paris-Venice (ORD-CDG-VCE) +$130 taxes/fees. Plus my son got a 25% discount on that for kids under 11! The (2) young adults flew in economy on the way there (13k MRs +$74) and then did a side trip to Amsterdam with biz class on the way back.

We finally got to use a lounge at Chicago’s O’hare- the new Delta SkyLounge. It was fabulous!! Great beverage options, several bars and a really cute Chicago style hot dog cart. The Air France flight was good to Paris. The Air France lounge in 2F was actually pretty gross, with cold breakfast food and poor beverage options. I actually paid $50/pp for the YA in economy to join us because we had a four hour layover. I knew my mom would need a lot of time for traversing airports, and that was before I knew she’d need a wheelchair. I can’t even explain what a joke most of these wheelchair assistance companies are at the airports, but that would be a whole post of it’s own.

Pocket WIFI: A few trips back we invested in a pocket wifi through TravelWIFI. We bought a data plan for Italy which allowed 5 devices to be connected at once. We totally overdid it and bought 12GB of data, but only used 3GB. Even so, we paid $52 for 7 days of WIFI access for 5 people, so less than $1.50pp/day. The correct data plan would have only been $20! I definitely recommend this pocket wifi device if all your travelers are together.

Transportation. The Venice airport is pretty amazing, with moving walkways that lead you right to their pier for water transportation. We took a private water taxi from the airport to the pier nearest our AirBNB. Holy cow, what a beautiful boat and mode of transportation! It was amazing to see the Venetian islands, come through the Grand Canal and traverse tiny canals, nearly right to our doorstep.

Cost: $175

1669961900485.jpeg
1669961499904.png
Accommodations.

We stayed in a four bedroom AirBNB, Venice is a Fish, all bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, just above a luxury Burberry store, behind Piazza San Marco. This was perfect for our family, with elevator access that opened up right into the unit.

Cost per nt: $581, Total cost= $1743

Travel hack tip: I’ve been buying GCs for AirBNB and scoring a 14% savings (Kroger fuel points). I charge this to a Chase cc I’m working towards an MSR. What I like about GCs is that I can change my AirBNB ressie multiple times (or if the host cancels) without worrying about a clawback on an MSR from six months ago. In addition, I book through the British Airways/AirBNB link and earn 3 avios per dollar on every booking.

Experiences.

This is our first time using AirBNB to book experiences and I found them to be very authentic. We loved that we were supporting small businesses and entrepreneurs.

Venice with Kids with Federica: This was a 2.5 hour walking tour geared towards kids and adults, in a scavenger hunt style. We learned so much about Venice we would not have otherwise known and walked away with a much deeper understanding of Venice. We explored an often flooded bookstore, Aqua Alta bookshop with it’s resident cats and got to indulge in gelato (SUSO), while making our way to Rialto bridge and market. At the Rialto fish market it was incredible to see them prepare the fish exactly as you request and wrap it for you. Now that’s fresh seafood!

1669961627498.png1669962169948.jpeg

Cost: $32/pp, including gelato for the group and a cute gift for the kids

Workshop Murano Glass Experience: Located just minutes from our AirBNB, rather than on Murano island, we did this workshop with a master Murano glass craftsman. Talk about humbling! What incredible artistry it takes to make these glass works and how delicate they are. We each made a glass tile and torched a glass masterpiece, lol. My 13 yo is an artist and loved this experience. I snapped a pic of my mom and our host, Fabio, in what looked like the pottery scene from Ghost, so that was priceless. We picked these glass masterpieces up the next day and they’re such a memorable souvenir.

Cost: $49/pp

Row like a Venetian. Thanks @WardFam for this experience recommendation. This is a young group of entrepreneurs, passionate about the tradition of Venetian rowing and sailing. We learned so much about the incredible craftsmanship of Venetian watercraft and the hand carved forcola, which is the rowlock that an oar locks into on a gondola. We learned to row and explored beautiful canals. Such incredible story-telling about the history of the canals and rowing in Venice. If you ask, you’ll also get to hear all about the controversy surrounding their work and the politics that go into protecting the gondola industry. We really enjoyed experiencing this for ourselves, rather than being taken for a gondola ride. It did make us appreciate the talent of the gondolier, as well.

1669962243782.jpeg

Side note: We had to climb down a ladder backwards and then step into the rowboats. So picture a ladder off a pier, and then picture yourself not gripping it, but walking down it like steps. Afterwards, there were people hanging out right where we were docking, and I thought I might die at the thought of having to climb out of this rowboat and up the ladder for an audience. Turns out ladders are much easier when you climb them and can use the rungs!

Cost: $48/pp

Travel hack tip: Same tip from above works on AirBNB experiences.

Venice impression: We loved, loved Venice’s quaint beauty and charm. The temps were perfect, 45-55 degrees and not a drop of rain. The slower pace and pedestrian lifestyle is enviable. Venice deserves a slot on anyone’s travel bucket list.

1669962477377.jpeg1669962646113.jpeg1669962115935.jpeg

Rome, post #2

I expected to dislike Rome quite a bit, especially after visiting Venice. While it took me an evening to adjust to a large city, traffic and hoards of people, I was amazed at how you’d turn a corner and there would be an incredible ancient Roman structure just before you, in the midst of cafes, shops and tiny alleyways.

Transportation. We took a private water taxi ($105) up the Grand Canal to Roma Termini train station and then a direct, 4 hour speed train to Rome. Train travel is so, so easy in Europe and it’s nice to sit at tables, rather than in airline rows. Booked through Italiarail, which is sort of a booking site for trains in Italy. It’s more user friendly than the train sites themselves, and usually the same pricing. Ubered from the train station to our lodging.

Train Cost: $72/pp

Lodging.
We stayed in another four bedroom AirBNB in the Trevi area. I don’t have positive things to say about this and wouldn’t recommend booking a Sonder property based on their lack of responsiveness to issues.

Cost: $445/nt, $1331 total

I’ll let the photos do the talking here. We visited the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palentine Hill, Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon, either using our feet or by Uber. Get the Rick Steves Audio Europe app for a free walking guide of many of these top attractions!

480C2F93-7CC3-4F10-A552-4E0D7DD33C94.jpeg

1669963375379.jpeg1669963394000.jpeg1669963461583.jpeg1669963442497.jpeg

Dining of note. Thanks @IFlossU for the recommendation for Michelin starred Roscioli Salumeria con Cucina. The setup here is super unique- you dine in a working Italian deli. So there will literally be tables set up against the deli counter, etc. We scored a late evening reservation in their wine cellar, surrounded by 3,000 bottles of wine. This meal felt authentic to us and for that it was a good experience, and the pricing was crazy reasonable. P.S. Al dente really is al dente- they aren’t joking around with firm pasta in Italy.

1669963522600.jpeg

Pinsitaly Trevi. While one should try to avoid eating near major attractions, this was a cute little rustic pizza and pasta joint. Went here twice for their bruschetta and pizza.

Cost: $250 total for 7 peeps

Flights.
Same, Air France biz class on the way home (44k MRs pp +$226 taxes/fees). This time the Paris lounge was in Terminal E, Hall K and this lounge was much better, with fresh, hot food. The hubby and I each enjoyed a complimentary Clarins facial and received a gift moisturizer. Sign in right away for this service, as it books quickly!

This was our first time doing biz class both ways. If you can swing it, it’s so worth it, especially when traveling with folks with mobility issues.

Lastly- if you aren’t using a travel itinerary app, like TripIt, start using one asap. TripIt even has an iPhone widget, so it will display the next item on your itinerary, right on your homescreen.

Last edited:
You can. I pay mine direct though since the county takes cc and the fee is cheaper.

The current support offer is pay at least $2500 within 30 days of sign-up and get 1000 fee free dollars (2500 for the supportee).

Thanks so much. My county doesn't take Amex (but they are considering it next year) and I think I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on the NLL biz plat bundle of 230k MR! My math puts that as a $4k SUB after recouping AF. I'll just need to be able to pay my property taxes to hit that $15k MSR- so thanks for the Plastiq rec. I'll pay it forward on Dischurners.

You won't get the biz card, it should have been done first because of the 1/30 rule chase has for biz cards. Also, you don't want to do both apps on the same day.

Unless you were trying to combine pulls there wouldn't have been reason to even do an mdd. You would have wanted to do the biz card today and then the day after it was approved apply for the personal card if you wanted them to use the same pull.

You'll need to wait 30 days to app for the biz unless you can get a 2nd/dif personal approved tomorrow. But if it's not instant you'd need to call recon. If 5/24 is an issue I'd just wait the 30 days.

Chase has a 1/30 rule for business cards so since you applied for the personal card your probably not going to be approved…wait 30 days and apply again…

In an odd twist, all 3 SW cards were approved. So now I want to check here before I make any more mistakes since I know all 3 cards should not have been approved. 5/24 is not an issue (but 1/30 for business card should have been an issue, but it was approved via email). Meeting the minimum spend on 3 cards is not an issue. Knowing that, will I really be able to get the 75,000 pts from one personal card, 75,000 points from second personal card (applied for with MDD), and 80,000 points on the business card.... so total of 230,000 points PLUS the companion pass (as long as I wait to meet the min spend on all 3 cards until the new year starts)? Caveat, both personal cards are already automatically added to my Chase account, but the business card is not (even though I got an email saying it is approved), any thoughts about that, is it really approved? Is there a chance they may cancel any of these cards since I now have 3 (which shouldn't be allowed, right?). My thought for the most likely cancellation would be the second personal card (since I shouldn't be allowed to have 2, but I tried MDD when I thought business card was denied).

Any advice is appreciated!

In an odd twist, all 3 SW cards were approved. So now I want to check here before I make any more mistakes since I know all 3 cards should not have been approved. 5/24 is not an issue (but 1/30 for business card should have been an issue, but it was approved via email). Meeting the minimum spend on 3 cards is not an issue. Knowing that, will I really be able to get the 75,000 pts from one personal card, 75,000 points from second personal card (applied for with MDD), and 80,000 points on the business card.... so total of 230,000 points PLUS the companion pass (as long as I wait to meet the min spend on all 3 cards until the new year starts)? Caveat, both personal cards are already automatically added to my Chase account, but the business card is not (even though I got an email saying it is approved), any thoughts about that, is it really approved? Is there a chance they may cancel any of these cards since I now have 3 (which shouldn't be allowed, right?). My thought for the most likely cancellation would be the second personal card (since I shouldn't be allowed to have 2, but I tried MDD when I thought business card was denied).

From recent personal experience to get a business card to show:

- You must create a login specifically for the business account.
- Link your personal accounts to the business once logged in via settings
- There is a toggle at the top of the app once complete to switch between business and personal (only when logged into the business; all accounts visible in the web version

Congrats. You are golden- you'll receive all three cards and the bonuses for each as long as you meet the spending requirements. For many people, you have to create a second login for the business card, but then you can link those two accounts so you'll be able to see personal and biz by logging into just one. Here's info on how to link. I'm not 100% positive you have to make a business login- that's just what I did before they made it easy to link.

https://www.chase.com/digital/custo.../business-banking/general/cbo-account-linking

@FreeDiningFanatic Thank you posting your wonderful trip to Italy. I get overwhelmed when trying to plan a trip like this and your information definitely helps.

Thank you for the feedback. 🤟 When I'm writing these long winded reports, I wonder if it helps anyone. If nothing else, it's sort of a record for me to look back on. This trip planning really did almost get the best of me, but mostly just because of the airline cancellations and booking with points in multiple programs, originally.

Are you planning a trip to Italy or a big trip? LMK if there's anything I can answer.

Thank you for the feedback. 🤟 When I'm writing these long winded reports, I wonder if it helps anyone. If nothing else, it's sort of a record for me to look back on. This trip planning really did almost get the best of me, but mostly just because of the airline cancellations and booking with points in multiple programs, originally.

Are you planning a trip to Italy or a big trip? LMK if there's anything I can answer.

Your report was awesome! I can't imagine trying to arrange flights for that many people. I thought finding biz award seats for 2 to Ireland was stressful (it wasn't actually, but I'd never done it before).

Sounds like a lovely trip! We did the same thing with getting Airbnb GCs from Harris-Teeter for fuel points. I've looked a little into the Airbnb experiences and a few have caught my eye, but admittedly we're not in the bigger Irish cities so fewer to choose from. One is an inexpensive walk on the beach with an Irish gentleman and his 2 Irish Wolfhounds, lol. But the reviews are great!

Thank you for sharing your TR! I’d love to return to Venice and Rome down the line. Never would have thought of the Air B&B experiences. It looks like it was an amazing trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter