I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy moly you guys, I'm going to finally take my United Gateway card out of cold storage, I have a Staples offer.
Earn 20% back on your Staples purchase, with a $10.00 back maximum

I also have 10% up to $10, on several cards.

Thanks for posting this. I have it on a few of my Chase cards--I'm especially happy about this because I didn't have the Best Buy offer and because my family decided a few days ago to plan a WDW trip for next May. I've missed having a reason to buy Disney gift cards!

I used Undercover Tourist to book a car, and since it saved me over $900 compared to Costco (thanks to the bundle discount) I think it was well worth it. In our case, DH decided he wanted a SUV because we were going to pick up his mom on our way to our nephew's wedding (and she doesn't pack lightly!). The Budget agent at the car rental facility was able to upgrade the car and apply a Costco discount (which I had no idea was something that could be done) to the upgrade so we just paid the difference at drop-off. It still ended up less than 50% of the Costco price for the intermediate car rental.
FYI- The UT hack was shared on Tik Tok and has gone viral. GRRRRR!!! I'm hoping this doesn't lead to it going away!

Hello! I am new here and looking for some advice. I have to pay my younger daughter's school tuition in September (~$20k) and can do so by credit card with no fee! I would like to use that large purchase as an opportunity to reach MSR for a new card. I would like advice on what the best option would be.

Upcoming travel includes a trip to Hawaii and one to Thailand - no set dates, likely over the next two years or so.

I would also like to use this opportunity to achieve status with an airline or hotel chain, or generally anything that enhances the travel experience (vs. getting stuff for free). I was tempted with the idea of using the purchase to try and reach Mosaic status on JetBlue, since I like to travel with them whenever possible.

Other recurring trips include yearly visit to Disney (always rent DVC points for our accommodations) and yearly trip to Universal (stay at Hard Rock).

We typically spend ~$10k/month and pay the cards in full each month. We fly from Boston's Logan airport. We like to fly JetBlue whenever possible. Then by order of preference it would be Delta, United and AA. I have to travel occasionally for work but always need to book with corporate card. Southwest does fly from Logan but it is rarely the best option for us. My travel party is Dear Husband, along with our two daughters (5 and 7).

Anne
Just something to think about with JB.....they are likely taking over Spirit in a few years. So who knows what their mileage program will be then. Just saying with a spend that large, maybe look at something you can use lots of ways.

Amex is instant, Chase takes 36-48 hours.
They did post about 36 hours later and I was able to apply points and FNC to my reservation. New Orleans for MLK weekend in January (originally had Spring Break 2020 in NOLA and obviously that was canceled). Though NOLA won't be super warm in January it will sure beat Chicago weather. Plus we looove all the food options.
So have my accounts linked. The issue is when I try to use my username/password on the app it keeps saying it’s not correct (but I can log on to the website). I tried changing my password and I got in the app and could see both accounts. But after logging out and trying to log in again, I get the same error message🤦‍♀️
It has to be your biz login. If it's still not working make sure the app is updated or try deleting and reinstalling the app.
I'd signed up for the free instacart membership through Chase a month ago, before the credits came around. Then when the credits came around, I tried to enroll using that link and got an error that I couldn't be enrolled in more than one Chase promotion.

FYI, I received my $15 credit from Chase within a day of it posting to my CSR. My spend was $59.
Doh. I did Instacart pickup this morning and used my BCP. Totally forgot about CSP. 🤦‍♀️

So I just applied for CIC #3 (technically) and got it. Not sure who's link I used as a few were expired, LOL. Now I have to pay for my kid's braces tomorrow. The card shows up in my app, but I'm not seeing an apple pay option (not even sure the ortho could take that). There's no way for me to get the number to charge the braces tomorrow, is there? I may ask them if they can possibly hold one card tomorrow and run my actual card when I get it. I'm trying to take advantage of a $500 bonus offer they are giving right now and I have to pay by Friday to do that.
Congrats party:you can SM chase to have it expedited….my CIC was approved on a Monday, I SMd to have it expedited and it arrived via UPS on Wednesday

i know many of you do a lot more than me, but I am quite proud of this email DH got from Chase today for his CSR. 95% of the points redeemed were PYB at 1.5x, including charity contributions and airbnb stay, and wow a lot of dining.

Your 2022 Mid-Year Rewards Summary​

You earned 42,013 points* and redeemed 369,991 points** with your Sapphire Reserve card.​

I’m looking to transfer some of my CIP credit limit over to a CIC. What’s the minimum I need to leave behind on my CIP? When my CIP anniversary hits, I want to downgrade it to another CIC, so I do want to leave behind enough credit limit so that won’t be an issue. Thanks!
Unless you are carrying a balance and need the limit, you can always move some credit back long enough to PC and then move it again.
The minimum to open a CIC/CIU is 3k but I recall to PC it needs 5k. It's a weird quirk.

To move credit you have to leave 1k + your balance on the card your moving from. A card with a 6k limit and a $250 statement balance can move 4.75k to another card. At least the last time I did this (8 months ago?) that's how it still worked.
Question on using the $200 FHR credit - I'm looking at a place that is $452 at checkout. It is offering an option to pay part of it with points and the rest charged on your card. If I do that and pay say 20,000 points and then charge $252, I'm thinking that would still work to trigger the credit? Does that sound right?

I never pay this much for a hotel, so I'm really not sure I'm going to do it, but it's the first time I've found an option that might work to use up one of our FHR credits, so I'm considering it.
You can even use all points and get the statement credit. It would effectively cash out your 20k MR at 1cpp, though. If you think you can get a better redemption than that you could charge just $200 to the card to offset the credit.
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/benefits/how-to-use-hotel-credit/

Can I receive the $200 Hotel Credit if I use Pay with Points?

Yes, you can receive the $200 Hotel Credit if you use Pay with Points with your eligible U.S. Platinum Card for some or all of your eligible prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection booking if you have not already earned the credit for the year.

Unless you are carrying a balance and need the limit, you can always move some credit back long enough to PC and then move it again.
The minimum to open a CIC/CIU is 3k but I recall to PC it needs 5k. It's a weird quirk.

To move credit you have to leave 1k + your balance on the card your moving from. A card with a 6k limit and a $250 statement balance can move 4.75k to another card. At least the last time I did this (8 months ago?) that's how it still worked.

You can even use all points and get the statement credit. It would effectively cash out your 20k MR at 1cpp, though. If you think you can get a better redemption than that you could charge just $200 to the card to offset the credit.
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/benefits/how-to-use-hotel-credit/

Can I receive the $200 Hotel Credit if I use Pay with Points?

Yes, you can receive the $200 Hotel Credit if you use Pay with Points with your eligible U.S. Platinum Card for some or all of your eligible prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection booking if you have not already earned the credit for the year.

Thank you! I would have never thought about doing that!

Could someone please help me? How does the math work when buying fee free $200 GC (5X), and redeeming them using CSR (1.5), but incurring a 2.85% service fee when using the GC.?

Could someone please help me? How does the math work when buying fee free $200 GC (5X), and redeeming them using CSR (1.5), but incurring a 2.85% service fee when using the GC.?
I’m not sure what you mean by “redeeming them using CSR (1.5)”? Typically you’d buy the fee free GC from Staples with a CIC and earn 5x. If you then used those GC somewhere that charged 2.85%, you still end up with 2.15x on the purchase.

Edited to add: ahhh. Seeing the comment below mine, now I get what you mean. You mean you’re redeeming the URs with your CSR. My morning mush brain thought you were asking about somehow redeeming the GCs in connection with your CSR. Ignore me!

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you mean by “redeeming them using CSR (1.5)”? Typically you’d buy the fee free GC from Staples with a CIC and earn 5x. If you then used those GC somewhere that charged 2.85%, you still end up with 2.15x on the purchase.

5x is 5%. If you then have a CSR to transfer those points to and use with a 1.5 category, you're up to 7.5%. So 7.5% earn is greater than 2.85% fee.
Thank you so much! I was having brain freeze lol.

The annual fee hit for my Chase SW card a week or so back and I also confirmed that the anniversary points are in my account, so I'm looking to close the card now. I already SMed to ask about a retention offer and didn't get one. When I close the card, do I have to ask to have the annual fee refunded or will that be done automatically? Also, I realized that I accidently paid off the card after the annual fee hit, so if they do refund it, there will be a credit on my account. Will this be an issue for them?

The annual fee hit for my Chase SW card a week or so back and I also confirmed that the anniversary points are in my account, so I'm looking to close the card now. I already SMed to ask about a retention offer and didn't get one. When I close the card, do I have to ask to have the annual fee refunded or will that be done automatically? Also, I realized that I accidently paid off the card after the annual fee hit, so if they do refund it, there will be a credit on my account. Will this be an issue for them?
No issue with just closing your account and you will get a credit for the paid annual fee. You can request the credit to be refunded as an check or transferred to an existing chase card that has a balance.

No issue with just closing your account and you will get a credit for the paid annual fee. You can request the credit to be refunded as an check or transferred to an existing chase card that has a balance.
Ok, thank you! Just SMed them to close it!

I'm sorry if covered, but have you guys seen on the Amex Blue Cash Preferred the new benefit to give a $7 monthly credit for Disney bundle with D+, hulu, ESPN+? I think it's $13.99 ads, and $19.99 without ads. I'm guessing that the lower tier is ads for all 3 and not just Hulu like it is now, but not sure.

I only have D+, and I'd probably wouldn't pay $1 for Hulu normally. I think we'd use ESPN sometimes. But this deal would make it like a $1 cheaper to have the ads bundle vs. just D+ with ads, plus I think you get 6% streaming. If you do the pre-pay annual, you'd only get one $7 credit from Amex. Reading about it last night, it sounded like an ongoing perk, not just for 1st year/limited time.

Last edited:
We're trying to prioritize what cards to take to WDW.
1) BOA Custom Cash 5.25% dining.
2) Chase Freedom 5% theme parks. It listed WDW, so I'm hoping it's for everything: merch., dining, G+, ILL.
3) Amex Gold for the $10 uber credit, 4% dining.
4) Wells Fargo debit for one time 10% on Starbucks.
5) Chase Disney for 2 photo opp. at HS/EP.

We have enough gc's so don't want to do something like Blue Cash for 6% disney cards at grocery store or BOA 3.5% at Sams Club for 4% discounted giftcards.

Do you think the Freedom benefit will work for everything? We may just save that in slot #1 for MDE for G+/mobile orders.

We're trying to prioritize what cards to take to WDW.
1) BOA Custom Cash 5.25% dining.
2) Chase Freedom 5% theme parks. It listed WDW, so I'm hoping it's for everything: merch., dining, G+, ILL.
3) Amex Gold for the $10 uber credit, 4% dining.
4) Wells Fargo debit for one time 10% on Starbucks.
5) Chase Disney for 2 photo opp. at HS/EP.

We have enough gc's so don't want to do something like Blue Cash for 6% disney cards at grocery store or BOA 3.5% at Sams Club for 4% discounted giftcards.

Do you think the Freedom benefit will work for everything? We may just save that in slot #1 for MDE for G+/mobile orders.
I’ll be curious to hear which of your Disney purchases track at 5x on the CFF. If I had to guess, only tickets would track - and maybe G+/ILL$. Let us know!

I’ll be curious to hear which of your Disney purchases track at 5x on the CFF. If I had to guess, only tickets would track - and maybe G+/ILL$. Let us know!
that sounds like a good guess, with coding to disney travel company or the like, for tickets and similar, but not individual dining or stores. We have the old Freedom rather than the newer Flex, but I'm assuming they're the same card, for this. I'd think that the Freedom is such a common card, that someone would be trying it soon. We leave next month.

Does anyone know whether the Amex Gold dining 4% worked at WDW QS?

FYI- The UT hack was shared on Tik Tok and has gone viral. GRRRRR!!! I'm hoping this doesn't lead to it going away!
I tried earlier using a movie ticket and it didn’t work. Had the message ticket purchase must be over $100. I added a ticket over $100 and I couldn’t get a discount price from Budget. It had budget as unavailable.🤷‍♀️

Thankfully, I made a Costco reservation as a backup. Glad I did if I can’t get UCT to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter