I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re about to book our flights for Christmas which will be around $1100 with allegiant. Normally we’d use URs but I think we want to save what we have left so we want to try and get a new card to book the flights on. Dh was looking at two different ones: Citi premier and US bank altitude connect.

Does anyone have either of these cards?

We’re about to book our flights for Christmas which will be around $1100 with allegiant. Normally we’d use URs but I think we want to save what we have left so we want to try and get a new card to book the flights on. Dh was looking at two different ones: Citi premier and US bank altitude connect.

Does anyone have either of these cards?
I just got the Citi Premier. Even after you get the bonus it has a bunch of 3% categories so it should be easy to get back the annual fee in bonuses. I'm hoping that the 80,000 point bonus last for a few more weeks. that way I can complete the $4k spend and apply my wife. Just know that people are reporting that Citi has been pretty tight with approvals. From what I've seen if you have 3 or more inquiries in the last 6 months you won't be approved. People below that had been denied as well.

I just got the Citi Premier. Even after you get the bonus it has a bunch of 3% categories so it should be easy to get back the annual fee in bonuses. I'm hoping that the 80,000 point bonus last for a few more weeks. that way I can complete the $4k spend and apply my wife. Just know that people are reporting that Citi has been pretty tight with approvals. From what I've seen if you have 3 or more inquiries in the last 6 months you won't be approved. People below that had been denied as well.
Thanks for the info!

I've been waiting for a better SUB to apply for the Chase Hyatt card, but I'm getting tired of waiting and I need a new SUB. I see the Marriott Bonvoy has a 3 free night after 3K in 3 months. I don't stay at Marriott that often but also have no hotel loyalty. Would be nice to have 3 nights at Swan/Dolphin to use next year. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone for the help!

So I think it would be best for both my husband and I to have our own CSP and use those for our daily expenses and bills. My next question is currently we have the Amazon Prime Card and use that only for Amazon purchases. We spend an average of $400 per month or so at Amazon. Should I continue to use the Amazon Prime card or should I just start using the CSP for everything?

My SW card annual fee is due 2/1/2022. I plan to cancel it now and wait for the next good promo to hit. My husbands SW card is also set to renew 2/1/2022. My husband travels a lot for work and typically only flies SW. He always qualifies for A List. He did qualify 1 year for companion which was for 2020 but because of COVID was extended till 12/21. We still didn't get to use it since I wasn't traveling this year yet. It would be great if we could figure out how to get him to have a companion again.

I plan to downgrade my Disney Visa as I have been using that solely and it looks like that isn't the best option. I will just put it aside to have for any Disney perks.

Your husband should get his own CSP, I’ve managed to pay for all of our Disney trip with Disney gift cards that I’ve bought at grocery stores then used the Pay yourself back feature to erase all the GC purchases. We are going to Disney on Friday and will use DH’s CSR for all dinning and use PYB on those charges.
It isn’t the best time to get a SW card because the SUBs aren’t great (40,000 points). And if you wait until Oct/Nov you can get 2 cards to earn the companion pass.
I agree with @becauseimnew You can get a support bonus if you support your DH for CSP of his own. Many of us have Disney Visa, but I only use it when there are elevated offers (like a recent one for 5x points) but otherwise sock drawer it. If you have the Premier with AF, you can downgrade to no AF card and keep it for the Disney discount benefits. Much easier to rack up rewards on CSP than Disney Visa (CSP SUB alone is at least $1000)
Welcome! You are on the right track earning Ultimate Rewards with your new Chase Sapphire Preferred. They are a very versatile currency and can transfer to airlines and hotels - IHG, Hyatt and Marriott.

Depending on how much spend you have and since it is $4000 in 3 months for a CSP, you might want to support your husband to the CSP to start out. Right now, you would get 20K UR's for sending him a link. And he would earn an additional 100K UR's. There is another strategy which his 0/24 status is great for but it would up your MSR's to 12K in the next 3 months - I mention our Reddit board below and it has that info if you have that much spend and are interested.

When is your annual fee due to hit for your SW card? If it's fairly soon, that also means your yearly points are coming as well. You could wait for the points and then close the card. They will refund the annual fee on closing, if you have paid it when it posts. As mentioned, the bonus was just recently better and more than likely will go up again. Closer to end of year, start of new year is a good time to try for SW's cards and companion pass.

Once you both get the Sapphire sign up's, then it's time to add other Chase cards as they are subject to 5/24. After that, consider other currencies such as Amex.

We also have a Dischurners small and private group on Reddit which explains some other strategies. You do have to join Reddit to read there if you are not already a member. If you have interest, send a message to @Albort or @SouthFayetteFan and they can add you. You just let them know what your Reddit name is.

I just dabble in a card here and there, but I love UR's, like MR's from Amex, and have cards for IHG, Hyatt, Marriott. Hyatt gives in my opinion the best value in points per $, transfer 1 to 1, and have some really nice hotels as well as some basic hotels. I transfer UR's to World of Hyatt for my stays there.

Marriott and IHG have fairly good programs but IHG has variable pricing in place that has ballooned up some of their better places. Marriott also adjusts their point prices to the market, but some properties can be good travel deals. The free night certificates you get from each of these programs usually cover the annual fee and a bit more.

Question for American Airlines. I have points, haven’t flown with them in more than 20 years. But my daughters wants to use AA to fly to Florida - can she book with my points? Would I do this like with SW? I have booked for my kids with my points on SW many times.

yes. Just like SW

Thank you for the United and Southwest card information. Since I received the CSP just three weeks ago, should I/how long should I wait to apply for the United card?
Normal spacing is 3 months between Chase cards.

So I think it would be best for both my husband and I to have our own CSP and use those for our daily expenses and bills. My next question is currently we have the Amazon Prime Card and use that only for Amazon purchases. We spend an average of $400 per month or so at Amazon. Should I continue to use the Amazon Prime card or should I just start using the CSP for everything?
MSR spends varies by person. I don’t have a lot of expenses so when I get a new card, I use it exclusively until MSR is met. If you have enough other spend so you’ll hit MSR, you can use your Amazon card. Just depends on your situation.

My SW card annual fee is due 2/1/2022. I plan to cancel it now and wait for the next good promo to hit. My husbands SW card is also set to renew 2/1/2022. My husband travels a lot for work and typically only flies SW. He always qualifies for A List. He did qualify 1 year for companion which was for 2020 but because of COVID was extended till 12/21. We still didn't get to use it since I wasn't traveling this year yet. It would be great if we could figure out how to get him to have a companion again.

I plan to downgrade my Disney Visa as I have been using that solely and it looks like that isn't the best option. I will just put it aside to have for any Disney perks.
I would not close any cards before your new apps. It might affect your credit score. Since you already paid the SW fee, you could just keep it open for the offers and spending incentives. I would wait until you're closer to being ready for a new SW card. I keep my Amazon card open and use it for purchases when I'm low on Amazon GCs. If you can meet the spendng requirement on the CSP elsewhere, you could keep using your Amazon card. It's really personal preference. Some people like to use a new card for everything to get the spend finished quickly.

Sharing a DP here. I got a targeted email offer to sign up for Pay Over Time on my Gold card and earn 20K MRs. But when I tried to click through on the link, it said the offer wasn't available any longer (this was within an hour after getting the email!). So I chatted with Amex, and was told to call in, and the rep couldn't find the offer on my card but said they could apply it over the phone. So I did it that way. It's supposed to take 8-12 weeks to show up but maybe I'll be lucky and have it show up sooner so I can cash out via Schwab before that redemption gets lowered.

I've been waiting for a better SUB to apply for the Chase Hyatt card, but I'm getting tired of waiting and I need a new SUB. I see the Marriott Bonvoy has a 3 free night after 3K in 3 months. I don't stay at Marriott that often but also have no hotel loyalty. Would be nice to have 3 nights at Swan/Dolphin to use next year. Thoughts?
Not sure if this info will be helpful, but I did the Marriott Bonvoy last year when they offered 5 FNC. I didn't have plans to use them at Disney though and ended up using all but 1 this summer during travel baseball. I found the FNCs easy to use and the variety of Marriott properties in my destinations to be very good. My hotels were always nicer than my BIL's IHG properties.

Not sure if this info will be helpful, but I did the Marriott Bonvoy last year when they offered 5 FNC. I didn't have plans to use them at Disney though and ended up using all but 1 this summer during travel baseball. I found the FNCs easy to use and the variety of Marriott properties in my destinations to be very good. My hotels were always nicer than my BIL's IHG properties.

Ugh, 5 is better than 3! I always seem to just miss all the best bonuses lol. CSP, United...all of them seem to have a much better SUB right after I sign up.

Did you mean does NOT?

To add to this briefly, 5/24 is only triggered by cards reported to your personal credit report. To my knowledge, of the major issuers, only Capital One reports their business cards to personal credit. Chase, Amex, Citibank, Bank of America, US Bank and Barclay all do NOT.

As far as the Amazon card, if you need the spend to meet the $8k for both CSP's spend it on the CSP. If you can do the spend without the money you spend on Amazon, and you are earning the prime 5%, keep earning the 5%.

Sharing a DP here. I got a targeted email offer to sign up for Pay Over Time on my Gold card and earn 20K MRs. But when I tried to click through on the link, it said the offer wasn't available any longer (this was within an hour after getting the email!). So I chatted with Amex, and was told to call in, and the rep couldn't find the offer on my card but said they could apply it over the phone. So I did it that way. It's supposed to take 8-12 weeks to show up but maybe I'll be lucky and have it show up sooner so I can cash out via Schwab before that redemption gets lowered.

Good luck! I got that offer for my Gold also and it landed in my account almost immediately. Nice little stash. At first it was just 10k points, and I didn't get it then as my card had an auto enrollment. I unenrolled and a few months ago got the 20K.

Hello! I am new here and I would like to learn what card or cards might follow our recent ones. Also how soon to apply for the next cards.

*Cards applied for in past 24 months:
P1 07/21 CHASE Sapphire Preferred
P2 07/21 CHASE Sapphire Reserve
We met minimum spend on each of these for bonuses.

P2 has years old Capital One Venture
P2 has years old Capital One Cash Card, P1 is authorized user.
P1 has years old Pottery Barn store card

*Regularly put groceries, gas, travel & most purchases on cards. New to paying bills on cards.

*Balances are paid in full.

*Fly out of CLE mostly, also utilize PIT and CAK.

*FF- Southwest, United have the most miles from us

*We use Southwest for about 5 round trips per year, typically.

*We don’t have a particular hotel rewards preference.

*Points on SW(used some recently, so not much at present) P1-8424, P2-3188, kids have some too. Points on United: P1-11570, P2-20505, again kids have some. We have small amounts on Delta and American.

*Goals—Maybe too ambitious to just use points on this one—but fly four of us business class round trip to Greece in June 2022.
(We have a big spend we may pay on early, if it might be beneficial to earn points this way.)

Also perhaps earn a Companion pass on Southwest-we visit family about 5 times a year.

*Regular travel is to visit family. We also visit WDW about once per year. Other leisure travel includes DCL, ABD, and some on our own trips.

*Travel party-P1(me), P2–DH,DD 14, and DS 11. Sometimes when we visit family only myself and two kids go.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome! First thing to think about is spacing. With Chase cards, it's recommended to space cards about 90 days apart. Since P1 and P2 both just got a card, you have a bit of time before you might want to apply for another. This is great time to start to map things out.

You mentioned a few aspirations- 2022 Greece and SW companion pass. IRT 2022 Greece, when booking award flights, especially business or first class, you usually need about a year in advance to book, which means you need those points already accrued at least a year prior. Given the wonky travel situation, you may find some award availability less than a year in advance, but perhaps not. I like to use awardhacker (It's not perfect, but good) to help me figure out what airline program I would use for points- so then I can try to get a card where I can transfer/earn points for that program. But, you really do have to check things out to see how much you'd pay in points and taxes vary quite a bit between programs, as does award seat availability. So you'll likely need to do some research for this!

SW companion pass. Do some research on the best timing of this- usually towards the end of the year, so that you are earning companion pass for 2022 and 2023. Keep this timing in mind when you are mapping out what cards to get next.

Also consider business cards if you have a business, like selling things on facebook, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in with some advice on specific cards. Doctor of Credit is a favorite site for good cc offerings. Remember, P1 and P2 should always send support links to each other, to earn additional points when applying for a card. Amex is nice for that bc if you have ANY Amex card, you can support each other to any other Amex card. If it's a card P1 or P2 don't have, you can always show your love to a friend here by joining our reddit group. You should receive a message to join if you haven't already.

Again, welcome, and keep asking questions!

I would just double check for those 3 free nights, how many points you receive per night? Last year the deal was 5 nights at 50k each. If the certs are 35k, you just want to make sure that still works for your plans, and that is good value to you for a SUB.

I feel like my POT bonus came within days- like maybe 3 days? But that might not be your situation given that they did it manually- but fingers crossed for you.

I forgot how much I dislike the Barclays Biz site. Do I pay on my company account or my card account or doesn't it matter?

I would just double check for those 3 free nights, how many points you receive per night? Last year the deal was 5 nights at 50k each. If the certs are 35k, you just want to make sure that still works for your plans, and that is good value to you for a SUB.

I *think* the offer was 150K points/3 nights.

You know you have a miles and points problem when...

You’re at Disney when you get a notification that Dosh has 6% CB at OD during OD’s buy $300 in Visa GCs, get $15 off sale, but the 6% at Dosh is only for 24 hours, and you immediately Google maps where the closest OD is.

(Answer: almost 8 miles away. Resisting, but not happy about it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts