I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's a huge difference. I live in a small-ish town and basically every gas station is the same price. We are about 45 minutes from the state line and the neighboring state has much lower gas taxes, so when we head that way, we always fill up there, but otherwise you can take your pick of stations in our town - all the same price lol!
Our costco premium price (about $2.30) is often cheaper than regular gas elsewhere but $3.55 / gallon for premium floored me.

Oh! I read on somewhere in Google that you can earn the last of your points after your December statement posts but your charges for the rest of December would count towards earning a CP but post in January’s statement therefore earning you a CP in 2022 good thru 2023. I have to read more!

I posted somewhere else but maybe it should be here. Do SW bonus points count towards earning a new companion pass? My plan is to use the new promo and get a pass thru 2/2022 but build up the points (125,000?) by January or February of 2022 thus getting a CP good through 12/2023. Is that a reasonable strategy? Am I missing something?

ETA - what’s MDD?
SW bonus points do count towards the CP.....but keep in mind the 125,000 points for CP have to be posted on the same calendar year statements...

"DH" applied for a new Chase CIC card today with my support link. Got the Offer unavailable. I thought I remember reading that was happening to a few folks but my search skills are not great :-). Did that normally turn out good for people (ie approvals)? Anything he/I should do other than wait?

If I have the Amex Plat $15/month Uber and I add the Surpass to my Uber account, I should have $25 off an order, right?

Question on refinancing and card timing - we are refinancing our house. We have been approved and hoping to close in the next 30 days (hoping!). Any advice for timing new card applications? I'm guessing that I shouldn't do anything now but will our credit take a big hit? It's been over 6 months since we got any card for me and over a year for him.

Oh! I read on somewhere in Google that you can earn the last of your points after your December statement posts but your charges for the rest of December would count towards earning a CP but post in January’s statement therefore earning you a CP in 2022 good thru 2023. I have to read more!
So the earlier in the year you earn the 125000 the longer you have the CP right?
So to achieve a 2022/2023 CP you'd want to be applying for cards in late 2021 or early 2022. People pursuing this right now are looking to earn a CP for 2021/2022. And that isn't a bad play! This can be especially good if you have a spouse who could maybe come back and earn a CP for 2023/2024 then. (WOW that sounds like a long time from now). My wife and I have maintained a CP (one of us) since 2014 by alternating who earns it. :D

does this mean one doesn’t need the 100,000 pts? This looks like if you spend $5,000 within three months you get companion pass and an extra 30,000 pts. Seems too easy.

"DH" applied for a new Chase CIC card today with my support link. Got the Offer unavailable. I thought I remember reading that was happening to a few folks but my search skills are not great :-). Did that normally turn out good for people (ie approvals)? Anything he/I should do other than wait?
My search skills are poor too, as is my memory. This is what I posted when my 'DH' applied for CIC on 1/27 -

Well that's weird. Filled out the application, got the spinny 'verifying your info' message for a while then it went to 'offer unavailable' The information you requested is no longer available. Not sure what to make of that. Hit the 'back' arrow and got - We appreciate your interest in a Chase card product. We have received the information you have submitted. You may close your browser session.

He did get approved and the card showed up in his online account 2 days later. I just got the support bonus email yesterday (yay!)

So the plan changed from heading to Fort Lauderdale next week to now heading to Tampa instead. The flights were much cheaper. Now the issue becomes, the weather looks much nicer in Fort Lauderdale. UGH! So I'm trying to debate if we just land and head southeast. Anything will be nicer than the weather we'll be leaving in MI!

I also finally took the time to gather up all the random gift cards I had laying around the house and add them to my Amazon account.

And I jumped on the Betterment offer today. Per FB it's up to $127.50 back. Now I guess we wait and see if it posts. Have others had it work?

View attachment 555809
does this mean one doesn’t need the 100,000 pts? This looks like if you spend $5,000 within three months you get companion pass and an extra 30,000 pts. Seems too easy.
See my post from last night about this - I did a write-up on it. Personally, I don't like the offer... it doesn't make sense to me for churners unless you got a really specific situation that would benefit from it.

One page back: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3821593/post-62685382

If I have the Amex Plat $15/month Uber and I add the Surpass to my Uber account, I should have $25 off an order, right?

Question on refinancing and card timing - we are refinancing our house. We have been approved and hoping to close in the next 30 days (hoping!). Any advice for timing new card applications? I'm guessing that I shouldn't do anything now but will our credit take a big hit? It's been over 6 months since we got any card for me and over a year for him.

I applied for a card the day after I closed, LOL. I think it was the Marriott for the 5 FNC offer.

Another Southwest Thought: What if you did a MDD of the new offer + old offer?

Man, I'm putting a lot of mental energy into some offers I'll never apply for (we already have a CP this year so I'm in wait until next year mode lol).

Let's look at each option available (including the base points in the calculations):

1) Apply for ONLY The 30k offer. I spend $5k, get 35k SW RR points worth ~$500 and I get a CP until 2/28/2022. CP isn't active until I spend the $5k.

2) Apply for ONLY 1 of the 80k offers. I spend $10k, get 90k SW RR points worth ~$1,300 and I need 10k more points by 12/31/21 in order to qualify for a CP through 12/31/2022.

3) MDD the 30k offer and the 80k offer. I spend $5k and get a CP until 2/28/2022. Then I spend $10k on the other card and get 90k more SW RR points. This means I now have a CP until 12/31/2022. I have ~$1,800 in SW points but I had to spend $15k to get there.

4) MDD the 80k offers but ONLY hit the first tier ($2k MSR). I spend $2k on each card and earn 104k SW RR points worth$1,500 and I get a CP until 12/31/2022. This assumes I had a SW acct on 12/31/20 and got the gifted 25k CP qualifying points.

5) MDD the 80k offers and hit both second tiers (which requires $20k in spend). I earn 180k in SW RR points worth ~$2,600 and have a CP until 12/3/2022.

WOW there are a lot of ways to look at this right now!!!!

EDIT: ok - wait... maybe I'm dumb: Why would I do option 3... I didn't list option SIX!!! That would be to do a MDD of the 80k offers and only hit the 2nd tier on one card! That's less spend than option 3 and more points!

Like I said... a LOT of ways to look at this haha!

Another Southwest Thought: What if you did a MDD of the new offer + old offer?

Man, I'm putting a lot of mental energy into some offers I'll never apply for (we already have a CP this year so I'm in wait until next year mode lol).

Let's look at each option available (including the base points in the calculations):

1) Apply for ONLY The 30k offer. I spend $5k, get 35k SW RR points worth ~$500 and I get a CP until 2/28/2022. CP isn't active until I spend the $5k.

2) Apply for ONLY 1 of the 80k offers. I spend $10k, get 90k SW RR points worth ~$1,300 and I need 10k more points by 12/31/21 in order to qualify for a CP through 12/31/2022.

3) MDD the 30k offer and the 80k offer. I spend $5k and get a CP until 2/28/2022. Then I spend $10k on the other card and get 90k more SW RR points. This means I now have a CP until 12/31/2022. I have ~$1,800 in SW points but I had to spend $15k to get there.

4) MDD the 80k offers but ONLY hit the first tier ($2k MSR). I spend $2k on each card and earn 104k SW RR points worth$1,500 and I get a CP until 12/31/2022. This assumes I had a SW acct on 12/31/20 and got the gifted 25k CP qualifying points.

5) MDD the 80k offers and hit both second tiers (which requires $20k in spend). I earn 180k in SW RR points worth ~$2,600 and have a CP until 12/3/2022.

WOW there are a lot of ways to look at this right now!!!!

great breakdown!!!

My elderly mother-in-law loved to travel when she was younger and now lives vicariously through us by supporting our travel hacking. Last year she got a SW personal card, was very happy to gift the whole family flights to Disney, and still has lots of points to share. Now that the annual fee has posted, we are looking for other options. She has a monthly spend of about $1-2k but we can help with a larger MSR. She won't be traveling with us, so she needs a card that earns points that can be transferred or redeemed directly for others, the fewer hoops the better, but prefers points to cash back. (Gifting free flights feels different than buying someone a flight?) Excellent credit, only card history I know of is a Walmart card opened 2014-ish and a GM card circa 2003.

Preferred currency is UR, flights are mostly SW, occasionally AA, usually Hilton hotels, but definitely open to others.

Thanks for any card or currency suggestions.

And I jumped on the Betterment offer today. Per FB it's up to $127.50 back. Now I guess we wait and see if it posts. Have others had it work?
Nope. Sent a ticket, got the message "the store will have to let us know you made a purchase, can take 45 days" to which I responded, it's not a store, it's a bank, and your offer says open account and fund, and your $75 will post the next day. No answer from that yet.

My elderly mother-in-law loved to travel when she was younger and now lives vicariously through us by supporting our travel hacking. Last year she got a SW personal card, was very happy to gift the whole family flights to Disney, and still has lots of points to share. Now that the annual fee has posted, we are looking for other options. She has a monthly spend of about $1-2k but we can help with a larger MSR. She won't be traveling with us, so she needs a card that earns points that can be transferred or redeemed directly for others, the fewer hoops the better, but prefers points to cash back. (Gifting free flights feels different than buying someone a flight?) Excellent credit, only card history I know of is a Walmart card opened 2014-ish and a GM card circa 2003.

Preferred currency is UR, flights are mostly SW, occasionally AA, usually Hilton hotels, but definitely open to others.

Thanks for any card or currency suggestions.
To me if she likes URs and flights on SW... why not a Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter