• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'kay, my big medical bill just came in. Knowing about it in advance is what got this multiple card application streak rolling. Lol. After paying these medical bills, I will have absolutely no MSR left!

We leave for Orlando tomorrow morning. No parks but will be eating out, getting gas, and grocery shopping. Which cards should I be using for the points earned rather than for the MSR (for each of those 3 activities). I tried to look it up and just comparing CSP and CSR was frying my brain!

These are the cards that I have to use:

CSP
CSR
CIC
Discover

It's so much easier for my brain when I am just going for my MSR.

Thanks for any help!

ETA: Also have the Citibank Costco card - might revert back to this?

Last edited:
O'kay, my big medical bill just came in. Knowing about it in advance is what got this multiple card application streak rolling. Lol. After paying these medical bills, I will have absolutely no MSR left!

We leave for Orlando tomorrow morning. No parks but will be eating out, getting gas, and grocery shopping. Which cards should I be using for the points earned rather than for the MSR (for each of those 3 activities). I tried to look it up and just comparing CSP and CSR was frying my brain!

CSP
CSR
CIC
Discover

Thanks for any help!

CSP & CSR both earn 3X on dining and groceries, but the CSR has the better PYB rate which is what I would use.

CSP
CSR
CIC
Discover

Thanks for any help!

Enjoy your trip :flower1:
CSR earns 3x on dining….then you could use PYB to cover charges with URs

Hi, new friends! I was considering signing up for the Disney Visa for our upcoming February trip, but I'm not sure if there is much point since no big Resort discounts have been announced for cardholders.

Hubby and I have no new CCs in 24 months, but some noteworthy rewards cards we have between us already are:

Citi Doublecash
Citi Costco
Citi ThankYou
Amex Blue Cash Preferred
Chase (Amazon)
Chase Freedom
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Discover IT

All cards are PIF monthly, and our only hard pulls have been from switching to TMo last winter, and from refinancing our mortgage this summer.

We have not previously been avid travelers, so in the past we have always favored direct Cash Back cards versus cards that build up rewards toward travel. Thus, travel rewards are a little mysterious to me. I have family near MCO, so I visit not infrequently, but I don't typically fly Southwest, and I haven't considered the companion pass before because my husband will not fly. (My daughter will, so that might be something to look at in the future.)

Help me not leave money on the table with this trip!
I signed up for the Disney Visa before I started credit card churning. I don’t think it’s worth a 5/24 slot but since you and your husband are at 0/24 you can probably take the hit if you want the card. It will get you discounts in the parks and special meet and greets but IMO that’s the only reason to get it. If I were you I would try for the Citi Premier. The bonus is 80,000 points for $4,000 spend in three months. It has a $95 annual fee but has a good amount of 3x spend categories. When I got the card most of my spend was for Disney tickets for my trip in May 2022. That earned me 3x points for the travel purchase.

Another option is the Capital One Venture X. It’s new and very popular. The high annual fee can easily be made up by the perks. Check out the link below for more details.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/venture-x/

I finally got a PS5 for dd! Had to purchase a bundle with an extra controller and a $60+ game, but they didn't markup the price of them and she'd need a game and extra controller anyways. Funny thing is that I wasn't even going to try the store, but I wanted to go to Hot Topic and the gaming store was 2 doors down, so I popped in to see if they had any PS5s, fully expecting them to say no, but I got lucky! Only took me 15 months to get one. Now I need the HP Legacy for PS5 to be released! She's going to be so surprised since I told her last week that I'd just wait for PS6 to be released.
So glad you finally got her one!!! I'm sure she will be elated.

Congrats! DS’s is all set up and ready to go when we get home from FL. DH couldn’t wait until Christmas.
So glad you finally got her one!!! I'm sure she will be elated.
Thank you! I didn't even realize the consoles only come with 1 controller. She will need the second controller for her boyfriend to play games with her.

I'm thinking of booking a short 48 hour trip to Chicago to see the Christmas markets. Is there any way that I can book and pay for an economy class ticket, then go back and upgrade to biz to trigger the AmEx $200 airline credit? I have the credits on both my biz plat and regular plat that I'd like to use, if possible.

DPs on FT indicate that the United travel bank still triggers the $200 airline credit for the plat. I chatted with amex and had them change the airline from AA to United, then purchased $250 on their travel bank (also did this last year and got the credit -- it was either $100 or $250, no option for $200). This will cover almost the entire cost of my ticket. I was thinking of staying at the Virgin Hotel Chicago and using the AmEx spend $400 get $125 credit. Has anyone stayed at any of the Virgin Hotels?

Last edited:
Took a retention offer on my Amex Personal Platinum for 55k points after 4k spend. I also got an offer for 20k points to add an AU, which I’ll do.

I was talking to my Dad the other day and found out he was in the middle of checking out to pay for (!!!!) TSA Precheck - what a crime! I told him we can easily get him Precheck for free - now he wants the CSR (he got a targeted 70k point mailer), but I want him to try a CSP/CSR MDD. Any experience with that when using a targeted mailer for one of the cards?

CSP
CSR
CIC
Discover

Thanks for any help!

I would use:
CSR for dining (it's my go to so I can PYB other things using dining charges)
CIC for gas (2%, but is the Costco more? I don't have that one, I use CIC)
Grocery I'm not sure. Are you in the first year of Discover so it's 2%? I currently use an MSR card or a 1.5 UR card (CIU or Freedom Unlimited)

I would use:
CSR for dining (it's my go to so I can PYB other things using dining charges)
CIC for gas (2%, but is the Costco more? I don't have that one, I use CIC)
Grocery I'm not sure. Are you in the first year of Discover so it's 2%? I currently use an MSR card or a 1.5 UR card (CIU or Freedom Unlimited)

Thanks for advising!

Yes, the Costco Citicard is 4% back on gas. So, will continue to use unless we can get 5% or towards a MSR.

I did it... I had DH apply for the Biz Plat with my support link (working on the last $500 of MSR), then I used his Plat link to apply for the Lowe's card. I also used the 20K employee card link.
We haven't received the 4X referral emails.
Hopefully it all goes as planned:
150,000 SUB
15,000 MSR Spend
15,000 Lowe's support
20,000 Employee card
60,000 4X15,000 referral bonus.
Looking at 260,000 MRs... we only needed 130 MRs for our J flight from Japan. Thanks for the help.

Did you have to wait for his Plat to come in the mail to add the card to his account? I feel like my cards never automatically load. That’s going to cost me some time in generating a support link before 12/1. Any tips?

CSP
CSR
CIC
Discover

Thanks for any help!

I know I’m late to the game here and you leave in the morning. Any way you can try to get a retention offer on any of those cards- perhaps thats an “MSR” to work towards? I hate not having an MSR, especially when you’ll be spending a chunk.

I know I’m late to the game here and you leave in the morning. Any way you can try to get a retention offer on any of those cards- perhaps thats an “MSR” to work towards? I hate not having an MSR, especially when you’ll be spending a chunk.

Lol. The CSR (2), CSP (4) and CIC (1) were all opened in the last 5 months (4 players) with all MSR completed organically. Man, we spend a lot of $$$. So, no retention offers.

Before this , we usually stuck with cash back reward cards and no AF cards. I still really like my Costco cash back as an executive member and costco citicard member.

I agree it is hard to spend money without a MSR. But I have a problem with trying to complete a MSR as quickly as possible - no manufactured spend, so just spend. :rotfl2: :rolleyes1 Kinda like I'm the type to binge watch Netflix or skip to the ending of the book.

Maybe it will be good for me to detox and not spend towards a MSR for a bit. Although, I bet it will be painful using the CC without a MSR. It's a bit addictive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter