I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay what do you do when you have a "bum" VGC? When I tried to use it yesterday at the FD it said the pin was invalid. I use the same pin always. Today when I tried online to set it again, I got some other error. Then I tried to check the balance, again, I got an error. I tried to register it, and it wouldn't let me either. So I called the number on the card. My balance shows I have $200 still. I was able to reset the pin on the phone too.

Now I did notice that the magnetic strip on the back has a "chunk" missing. I noticed this immediately when I was opening them. I'm wondering if this is causing the issue. If so, how do I "fix" that? I know when I had a crap card in the past it was a fiasco as there is NO ONE you can contact at Giftcard Mall.

Do you have access to the Reddit? If so it's discussed there ;)

3 digit code missing? where did u buy your VGC?

Is it a pretty simple process to buy multiple money orders with VGC? I've heard banks don't like people depositing money orders a lot. Have you found this to be true? What is the process you do to go from VGC to cash in your account to pay your mortgage?
With Food Lion it's been easy. I typically buy two for $499.54 each (with fees that totals $1,000) then do five swipes. For the mortgage, I just fill out the information on the money order and take them in branch to Chase and they apply them. My mortgage is about $1500 and I'm buying about $5,000 so that leaves me another $3,500 to liquidate. I split those between my main account (WF) and a second account (BoA). I figure $1000 or so in my WF account is okay each month. The only caution I have is if you buy $3k or more in MOs at one time, they have to fill out paper work so keep it under that amount.

Anyway, it takes a little time and thankfully Food Lion isn't out of my way. But it's worth it to me to accumulate 250,000 URs annually (two CICs).

Nice! My sister is down there this weekend too. Are you staying at the HP Boardwalk? I’d be interested in seeing room pics. I was planning to take Puggles with us. I realize dogs are not allowed on the beach so might be rethinking that plan.

I've been seeing a few dogs in the hotel. Pets are allowed in the National Park area of Assateague on South beach - this is the last regular car parking area before the off road vehicle area. There are large port a potties here as opposed to the comfort stations at the first beach. It's 8-10 miles away, so not a bad drive, but parking on summer weekends is a 'get there early' situation.

Ocean City beach relaxes rules after Labor Day and then I see dogs being walked on the Boardwalk area. I'm not sure what the actual rules are then, as we've only taken dogs to Assateague, and it's been awhile.

Rooms - by the time I saw this, my room was not photo worthy! But the room pics on the website are what you get. Most of the rooms are the same with a couple of connecting rooms that are suite type - maybe 3-4. Since this is a Hyatt Place it's pretty standard, other than they have pretty decent balconies. They also have an indoor pool and an outdoor pool, which is 1 ft deep on one side for kiddies, and then 4-5 on the other side. I haven't seen more than 5-10 people out there all weekend, but there is a lot going on ocean front.

All the rooms have either ocean front or partial view. The website says city view now instead of partial, but you know, people were probably wanting more so now they are offering less.

And, on my way down, I stopped at the deli that used to be McCabe's. They retired. Now it is Rosenfeld's and changed a lot. Prices have gone up. More polished/less personality. I'll have to be hungry to stop again, as opposed to making it part of my trip tradition. Someone new to it will probably not notice any changes but after all these years, I will miss it as it was.

This morning I set my chair out on the beach. I had to walk up to 17th street to get on the beach due to the air show. (Not that big a deal as I'm on 15th). Yesterday it was mobbed and I want the option to go down by the water if I feel like it.

With Food Lion it's been easy. I typically buy two for $499.54 each (with fees that totals $1,000) then do five swipes. For the mortgage, I just fill out the information on the money order and take them in branch to Chase and they apply them. My mortgage is about $1500 and I'm buying about $5,000 so that leaves me another $3,500 to liquidate. I split those between my main account (WF) and a second account (BoA). I figure $1000 or so in my WF account is okay each month. The only caution I have is if you buy $3k or more in MOs at one time, they have to fill out paper work so keep it under that amount.

Anyway, it takes a little time and thankfully Food Lion isn't out of my way. But it's worth it to me to accumulate 250,000 URs annually (two CICs).
I have a CF and CFF so I'll dip my toe in this month while both have 5% at home improvement stores. My mortgage is with Wells Fargo. They don't have branches in my state. Would I be able to get the money orders and deposit them in my Chase account and just use that to pay the mortgage? Then I would use my paycheck which would normally go to my mortgage to pay off the credit card.

I would like to cash out some Chase URs to help pay for expenses at Universal in a few weeks. Is it a bad idea to buy a an American Express gift card at Stop and Shop and pay myself back at 1.5 with the CSR? I know they have a small fee but the 1.5 payback rate is much better.

Are Amex gift cards easy to use?

I would like to cash out some Chase URs to help pay for expenses at Universal in a few weeks. Is it a bad idea to buy a an American Express gift card at Stop and Shop and pay myself back at 1.5 with the CSR? I know they have a small fee but the 1.5 payback rate is much better.

Are Amex gift cards easy to use?
For some reason I though Amex gift cards were a pain in the butt. Otherwise, no it's not a bad idea. I cash out occassionally for $500 visa gift cards.

For some reason I though Amex gift cards were a pain in the butt. Otherwise, no it's not a bad idea. I cash out occassionally for $500 visa gift cards.

Good to know. I forgot about Visa Gift cards. Pretty sure I’ve seen those there. Are they easy enough to use? Do they Auto drain or will I need to know my balance towards the end so it doesn’t get rejected when low?

I have a CF and CFF so I'll dip my toe in this month while both have 5% at home improvement stores. My mortgage is with Wells Fargo. They don't have branches in my state. Would I be able to get the money orders and deposit them in my Chase account and just use that to pay the mortgage? Then I would use my paycheck which would normally go to my mortgage to pay off the credit card.
That certainly would work. I like to minimize depositing them in bank accounts, but it seems like what you are talking about would be fine.

Good to know. I forgot about Visa Gift cards. Pretty sure I’ve seen those there. Are they easy enough to use? Do they Auto drain or will I need to know my balance towards the end so it doesn’t get rejected when low?
Are you wanting to pay for room charges with them? I remember before the pandemic (I think) someone having issues with that because they hold back some of the balance. I think they generally work fine but get complicated at restaurants, hotels, and gas stations. I know they auto drain at certain places (like Costco and Kroger) but not sure otherwise.

Have a target circle offer for 20 off 100. Thinking I'll be the dp I want to see and will try and buy a dis gc later online. Would help since one of my purchases yesterday didn't track for my buy 3 grt back, I know I put my phone number in.

Hi Churning Friends!

I am back from our Universal trip. We had a wonderful time, took it a lot slower than our November trip, but that is probably because of all the rain. Like I mentioned earlier, SW cancelled our Wednesday flight, 4 hours before our flight, they didn't send any emails regarding the flight cancellation and rebooked us for SATURDAY! I kept an eye on the schedule and was able to get us moved to a Thursday flight, which of course was also cancelled. We finally left Florida on Friday afternoon. I'm hoping SW will pay for the 2 additional hotel nights, waiting to hear back from them.

Regarding my Hertz issue from 2 weeks ago, the reservation appears on the Hertz app but I can't open it, so at least I can confirm that the reservation is still there. I will need to contact them to change my credit card info on the reservation since we have downgraded DH's CSR. Looks like Glacier NP is still a go.

DH will MDD the Sapphire cards this week, even if the support links aren't updated he'll just apply without the support.

ETA: DH received the Marriott 50K certificate after downgrading his Brilliant to the regular Bonvoy card 20ish days after the AF posted.

Happy Father's Day to all you Churning Dads!

Last edited:
That certainly would work. I like to minimize depositing them in bank accounts, but it seems like what you are talking about would be fine.
If you do $1,000 in deposits per month and don't have issues I'll start there and see how it goes. I can use the rest to pay normal monthly expenses. I'll just track how much is left on each card and finish each out with a small Disney gift card purchase to zero it out. I just want to start using the 5% on the CF and CFF each quarter without adding to my monthly expenses and getting VGC from grocery stores, home improvement stores, amazon, paypal seems like a good way to add a lot of UR to my account.

Are you wanting to pay for room charges with them? I remember before the pandemic (I think) someone having issues with that because they hold back some of the balance. I think they generally work fine but get complicated at restaurants, hotels, and gas stations. I know they auto drain at certain places (like Costco and Kroger) but not sure otherwise.

Thank you. I’m not 100% on how I was going to use them yet. Just know I need to pay for food and junk for the kids at the stores. I am planning 3 trips within the next year and tired of using my own money this month so was hoping to use some points instead.

Had a good time at WDW last week! It did rain a lot and that sucked but it was also sunny (and really hot) other times.

DH and I rode Rise of the Resistance. It was a 10+ hour wait fiasco, but we did it. The rain was horrible that day and just messed up everything.

I got my Orange Bird sipper cup. :D

Love the Skyliner but boy it is slow, lol!

The cookies at Gideon's Bakeshop are amazing. The peanut butter was my favorite. That was a 3 hour wait (virtual queue). I got a T-shirt with a black cat on it. I call him the dark lord of baked goods.

Boy everything is really torn up in the bubble right now. I wasn't quite prepared for how chopped up/messy things are.

Started the week wearing masks - the mandate was lifted Tuesday. Flying again, being around hordes of people was honestly jarring to me.

WDW has always been expensive but I swear things just felt *even more* pricey this time.

Boarding my cat was traumatic. I missed him so much and he did not like it either!

For those of you that buy and deposit money orders do you fill it out as you the purchaser and receiver? I wonder if banks will think that is a bit odd.

Hi Churning Friends!

I am back from our Universal trip. We had a wonderful time, took it a lot slower than our November trip, but that is probably because of all the rain. Like I mentioned earlier, SW cancelled our Wednesday flight, 4 hours before our flight, they didn't send any emails regarding the flight cancellation and rebooked us for SATURDAY! I kept an eye on the schedule and was able to get us moved to a Thursday flight, which of course was also cancelled. We finally left Florida on Friday afternoon. I'm hoping SW will pay for the 2 additional hotel nights, waiting to hear back from them.

Regarding my Hertz issue from 2 weeks ago, the reservation appears on the Hertz app but I can't open it, so at least I can confirm that the reservation is still there. I will need to contact them to change my credit card info on the reservation since we have downgraded DH's CSR. Looks like Glacier NP is still a go.

DH will MDD the Sapphire cards this week, even if the support links aren't updated he'll just apply without the support.

ETA: DH received the Marriott 50K certificate after downgrading his Brilliant to the regular Bonvoy card 20ish days after the AF posted.

Happy Father's Day to all you Churning Dads!
Most important, did you ride Velocicoaster? Thoughts on it? How was the wait?

I was somehow accepted for the Chase Sapphire Reserve at 7/24 (but a few of those are Retail Cards; Jordan's Furniture and Children's Place)... I called recon to check on the app and she approved it next day, wanted to close my Chase Amazon card that I hadn't used in years and move a few thousand of my credit limit from my Disney Visa to the CSR.

We were buying a Peloton anyways so the 10x points made it a no brainer, plus it helped us hit over half of our MSR.

New to Chase UR points - best way to use these on a Disney trip with the CSR? Thinking using to book Swan and Dolphin is our best bet.

I was somehow accepted for the Chase Sapphire Reserve at 7/24 (but a few of those are Retail Cards; Jordan's Furniture and Children's Place)... I called recon to check on the app and she approved it next day, wanted to close my Chase Amazon card that I hadn't used in years and move a few thousand of my credit limit from my Disney Visa to the CSR.

We were buying a Peloton anyways so the 10x points made it a no brainer, plus it helped us hit over half of our MSR.

New to Chase UR points - best way to use these on a Disney trip with the CSR? Thinking using to book Swan and Dolphin is our best bet.
Congratulations on getting the CSR! I'm guessing in Chase's eyes you were at 4/25 (excluding a few store cards), but if you were at 5/24 I think that's newsworthy!

You'll also be happy to hear that the CSR also has a $60 statement credit for Peloton Digital and All-Access memberships.

With the CSR you can cash out URs for qualifying grocery, restaurant (and home improvement stores?) at 1.5x. The Pay Yourself Back (PYB) program started during COVID and has been renewed (but watch here for deadlines as to when the program is scheduled to end again, because it might not get renewed next time).

Normally URs can be cashed out at 100 URs for $1, but qualifying purchases are worth $1.50. So a $300 grocery bill can be paid with 20k URs (rather than the typical 30k). Then you can mentally earmark that $300 that you didn't pay toward groceries, toward Disney.

Others will have to help out on if there are Disney-specific options, but I think this is the best value going.

I think Swan and Dolphin is blocked in the Chase travel portal along with all things Disney. You can use Pay Yourself Back instead and mentally put that money towards your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter