• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new car yesterday (yay!). We did the dealership 0% financing (boo on the hard pull!). The dealership showed DH’s credit score around 760ish. He immediately started grumbling that it was under 800 because of all of my credit card shenanigans. I just checked Credit Journey through his Chase account, and that shows his credit score as 830+. Any ideas why there would be such a disparity? And which one is correct??

I feel like there are a billion different credit scores. Credit Karma shows me 2 different numbers, credit journey a 3rd number and Discover even another and my Fico I can see from Wells Fargo mortgage. And that’s just the ones I personally check. I really don’t understand why they can’t have one standard.

Found this on the web:

Individuals can have more than one FICO score. The multiple FICO score versions in use today include:4

• FICO 2
  • FICO 3
  • FICO 4
  • FICO 5
  • FICO 8
  • FICO 9

Each scoring model may be used in different lending situations. FICO scores 2, 4, and 5, for example, are used by both mortgage and auto lenders to determine borrowers’ creditworthiness. Currently, the most common FICO score is FICO 8. This version can also be used in auto lending, as well as for personal loan and credit card decisions.4

Each of the three major credit bureaus—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion—generates consumer credit reports, which are then used to calculate FICO credit scores. You might have different FICO scores for each bureau, based on the information that’s being reported to them by your creditors.5

FICO announced the FICO 10 Suite, consisting of FICO 10 and FICO 10T, in January 2020 for a scheduled summer roll out.6 However, as of January 2021, myFICO.com still said that the scores will be made “generally available to lenders before the end of 2020.”7 On Jan. 6 a spokesperson for FICO said that the FICO 10 Suite had been rolled out in 2020—but only to lenders.8

I bought a new car yesterday (yay!). We did the dealership 0% financing (boo on the hard pull!). The dealership showed DH’s credit score around 760ish. He immediately started grumbling that it was under 800 because of all of my credit card shenanigans. I just checked Credit Journey through his Chase account, and that shows his credit score as 830+. Any ideas why there would be such a disparity? And which one is correct??

Also, what did you buy? Lol. We have been searching for a new car for 2 years and can’t decide what we want.

There are hundreds of scoring models out there. Even various FICO scoring models. Banks prefer to weigh certain factors differently than mortgage companies, for instance. And even different banks choose different FICO models.

The dealership apparently uses a model that weighs one of DH's weakest categories (maybe hard credit pulls?) more heavily. Oh, and some scoring systems have different ranges, so it's possible that his score was 760/800 on the dealership's model.

If you watch the same scoring system consistently you can get a feel for the health of your score, but you can't easily translate to other scoring systems, and generally have no idea what system your next lender will use.

BTW, I am no expert in this field, just reporting the way I currently understand.

Thanks for the input on the credit scores, everyone! I had no idea it was so complicated!!
And I got a Honda Pilot. I had been driving my 3rd Honda Odyssey. I’ll save the long story of why I decided to get rid of it, because I loooooved that car (obviously, since I had 3 of them!) but my kids are 15 and 17, so a minivan isn’t really “necessary” at this point. Plus minivans are in crazy short supply (which meant we got a ridiculous deal on our trade in), whereas the dealer had a decent number of Pilots. I fear/hate change, so it’s an adjustment for sure!!

Since I can’t seem to pull up one of the good BBP offers, I guess I’ll try for a chase biz card, just have to decide which one. Can’t decide how much MSR to commit to. Also, I haven’t tried for a chase biz card in around 16 months, so I’ll be a little nervous I think.

Thanks for the input on the credit scores, everyone! I had no idea it was so complicated!!
And I got a Honda Pilot. I had been driving my 3rd Honda Odyssey. I’ll save the long story of why I decided to get rid of it, because I loooooved that car (obviously, since I had 3 of them!) but my kids are 15 and 17, so a minivan isn’t really “necessary” at this point. Plus minivans are in crazy short supply (which meant we got a ridiculous deal on our trade in), whereas the dealer had a decent number of Pilots. I fear/hate change, so it’s an adjustment for sure!!

Well I am very similar. I am on my 2nd Odyssey and I also hate change! First was totaled at 9 years and then replaced with current one and it turned 12 in January. My kids are 19, 20 and 23 and only home seasonally so we definitely don’t need it. Lol. But it has come in super handy moving in and out of dorms. Nothing we have tried has come close to me in comfort. I think the Pilot is too big for me. We don’t need that. I don’t really like the CRV. Our second car is an accord. We have been looking at possible Suburus. DH thinks he wants a Crosstrek and it’s just so much smaller than the van and def not as “fancy” as our EX-L. Decisions are not our strong point! Lol And the car shortage isn’t helping.

Since I can’t seem to pull up one of the good BBP offers, I guess I’ll try for a chase biz card, just have to decide which one. Can’t decide how much MSR to commit to. Also, I haven’t tried for a chase biz card in around 16 months, so I’ll be a little nervous I think.
I absolutely love the CIC. The 5% back at office supply stores makes meeting the MSR sooo easy, and it’s a rare card that I regularly use even after getting the SUB. I buy Amazon GCs there, which means I basically get 5x on every Amazon purchase. Plus no annual fee!

I sent my brother a prime rib that he and his wife said was excellent. I plan on sending them more meat of some kind (before the offer expires) as they seem to enjoy it!
I did. Wasn't that thrilled but I did get paid quite promptly on the two things I sold so far

Thanks--do you remember which vendor you used? So many choices (which is both good and bad).

We have a Honda Pilot and love it! It is 6 years old so older style but besides the normal check-ups no problems. Of course, the next checkup will be expensive since the timing belt needs changed.

I absolutely love the CIC. The 5% back at office supply stores makes meeting the MSR sooo easy, and it’s a rare card that I regularly use even after getting the SUB. I buy Amazon GCs there, which means I basically get 5x on every Amazon purchase. Plus no annual fee!
I have both the CIC and CIU now and I definitely use the CIC more. But I haven’t maxed it out yet on Staples vgc deals so I’ll probably go for the CIU just to get the overall higher UR’s with the 1.5x on everything since I’ll probably use it for winter heating propane prebuy, real estate taxes, and car/home insurance. I lowered the CL on my freedom card. It was my most recent chase card and not sure why my limit was so high. Like 20.7k or something like that. I contemplated the CIP but don’t need the stress of such a high MSR.

I would definitely SM them. They only gave one day so it’s not like you procrastinated or anything.
Huh. Seems like it should get the 50x. I don't know who to advise you to follow up with here, but I hope you get the result you're looking for. I saw you've already reached out to Chase, so if that doesn't work then I hope Southwest can help you out.
Chase got back with me and said the request for the additional points required special attention. They forwarded the request to another department and I'll get a response within 5 business days.

$5k in vgc purchased this week. July mortgage payment made with money orders. Still have $3k to convert. First cic has another $3.4K at 5%. Then I’ll move on to my second cic. And my ur balance is at 400k.
Is it a pretty simple process to buy multiple money orders with VGC? I've heard banks don't like people depositing money orders a lot. Have you found this to be true? What is the process you do to go from VGC to cash in your account to pay your mortgage?

So last night I left the sunset a few minutes early to try and hit the FD on my way back to the hotel. I have to laugh, the cashier had to get the manager to run the serve transaction. They were both HELLA happy at the “$400 sale”. The manager thanked me over and over again saying I really helped their numbers. I guess I could have probably loaded $500 with them I’ve only been doing $400 as it’s 2 cards/2 transactions. I hit up WM last night to try and do $200 but they only had 1 line open (they’ve had 2 or 3 most nights this week) and it was really long. I have $800 in VGC left. I plan on buying $1k this morning. I should be able to unload them all before I head home :) I guess a “free” week at the beach and MSing $3k in VGC is a win/win, LOL. Slightly bummed I didn’t grab $1k yesterday, but I figure I still have 6 mos to get the remaining spend in. I think it’ll be about $7k. So with the $2k in organic spend, that leaves on $5k in VGC to catch at some point, LOL. Who knows maybe when I’m here again in August I can knock that out, LOL.

My flight tonight doesn’t leave till 8pm. And it’s a tiny airport so I don’t show up until like 30 min till boarding, LOL. So I’ve got a lot of time to kill today. I asked for a late checkout, the best they could give me was 12:30pm. I’m really bummed I didn’t keep the room for tonight. UGH. So I’m planning on hanging out here till 12:30pm. Then heading to FD on my way to the beach. I’ll just have to escape to my car mid-afternoon when it gets too hot. And I’ll just have to go home covered in sand, LOL.

My ex (and my kids) are leaving to visit his parents in the UP today. My mom is on her way to NJ and my BF got a trip (he’s in TPA and flying to LAS today). So I had no one to pick me up when I land at 1am. With the way Uber’s have been I’ve been SUPER paranoid that I’m going to get stuck, When the BF left on his trip he left his keys in his car for me at the airport, LOL. So now my panic of getting home is gone :)

I get to basically unpack and then repack to head to Vegas on Monday :).
$5k in vgc purchased this week. July mortgage payment made with money orders. Still have $3k to convert. First cic has another $3.4K at 5%. Then I’ll move on to my second cic. And my ur balance is at 400k.
Is it a pretty simple process to buy multiple money orders with VGC? I've heard banks don't like people depositing money orders a lot. Have you found this to be true? What is the process you do to go from VGC to cash in your account to pay your mortgage?

I really need to learn how to do this too - we're in the middle of building a house, so I shouldn't get a new card right now and I've burned through most of my points with this summer's vacation. I'd love to build my UR stash back up!

Okay what do you do when you have a "bum" VGC? When I tried to use it yesterday at the FD it said the pin was invalid. I use the same pin always. Today when I tried online to set it again, I got some other error. Then I tried to check the balance, again, I got an error. I tried to register it, and it wouldn't let me either. So I called the number on the card. My balance shows I have $200 still. I was able to reset the pin on the phone too.

Now I did notice that the magnetic strip on the back has a "chunk" missing. I noticed this immediately when I was opening them. I'm wondering if this is causing the issue. If so, how do I "fix" that? I know when I had a crap card in the past it was a fiasco as there is NO ONE you can contact at Giftcard Mall.

I really need to learn how to do this too - we're in the middle of building a house, so I shouldn't get a new card right now and I've burned through most of my points with this summer's vacation. I'd love to build my UR stash back up!
Do you have access to the Reddit? If so it's discussed there ;)

Also, what did you buy? Lol. We have been searching for a new car for 2 years and can’t decide what we want.

Congrats! When I was a younger Dad, I bought a Nissan Quest for my 2 girls. It had captains chairs behind the front row seating and a bench seat in the back and then the cargo hold. My DW and I took them everywhere in it and it had a DVD player and to this day, they want it back! Took them to Disney in it in 2009, a great trip and good times! There were no Dad or Mom ! She is touching me! (They couldn’t reach one another!) we would say Stop, not touching your sister! Lol

Okay what do you do when you have a "bum" VGC? When I tried to use it yesterday at the FD it said the pin was invalid. I use the same pin always. Today when I tried online to set it again, I got some other error. Then I tried to check the balance, again, I got an error. I tried to register it, and it wouldn't let me either. So I called the number on the card. My balance shows I have $200 still. I was able to reset the pin on the phone too.

Now I did notice that the magnetic strip on the back has a "chunk" missing. I noticed this immediately when I was opening them. I'm wondering if this is causing the issue. If so, how do I "fix" that? I know when I had a crap card in the past it was a fiasco as there is NO ONE you can contact at Giftcard Mall.

How do I access Reddit, if you don’t mind telling?! Thanks in advance

You use it to pay bills or stuff online. Don't waste time trying to get a new card.

How do I access Reddit, if you don’t mind telling?! Thanks in advance

@Albort or @SouthFayetteFan can help. And as nothing popped up I don't think it actually linked them. You do need to have enough posts to be able to get pms though. I see you are earning your ears but with how slow the board is for me now I don't dare check to see if you've posted at least 10 times.

Oh yay it tagged, I hope that also means I spelled them correctly 😁

I have to load the pages several times most of the time and then it takes forever to do stuff. It's my phone and laptop, opera and chrome. So I don't know. The mod that answered me on the tech board says they had to do the 2 factor a couple weeks ago and thought everyone did and they aren't having issues. Most people I know haven't had it pop up. The new un I made to post that flies through stuff like normal 😑

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter