• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the offer that is out via support links and public offer right now so the email is not special. We have seen higher offers but also 40,000 is the pretty standard offer so I think 65,000 is a pretty good offer. I personally prefer the $149 card if she might actually fly SW this year. It will give the 4 upgraded boardings, a $75 credit (so AF effectively $74) and you get 7500 Anniversary points instead of 3000.
Yeah, she won't be flying this year, and not enough to need the 4 upgraded boardings when she does fly.
Thank you! I didn't think the email was special, it just happened to be where I was alerted to the current offer LOL, since I haven't paid attention lately to SW.

while this is possible to do... the cost equates to $750 opportunity cost per night + resort fees and parking.. Do not transfer to marriott. Book any hotel you want, and offset the cost by using CSR for groceries + PYB. Alternatively, if you want a disney resort (not dolphin), just buy disney gift cards at a grocery store, get your fuel perks, and then use PYB to erase those charges.
Each of us has our own preferences. I prefer to top off Marriott point with UR (admittedly I don't use UR for the whole stay.) I don't have enough grocery spend to cover PYB for one night let alone a few and there are no fuel perks here. Not the best transfer but to each his own.

This is the offer that is out via support links and public offer right now so the email is not special. We have seen higher offers but also 40,000 is the pretty standard offer so I think 65,000 is a pretty good offer. I personally prefer the $149 card if she might actually fly SW this year. It will give the 4 upgraded boardings, a $75 credit (so AF effectively $74) and you get 7500 Anniversary points instead of 3000.
In the next few months I'll use my P2's support link for a Southwest card. In May 2022 we'll be using points for four to travel to Orlando. Would I be able to purchase EBCI for all four to get the $75 credit for a SW purchase and do an upgraded boarding for all four?

Each of us has our own preferences. I prefer to top off Marriott point with UR (admittedly I don't use UR for the whole stay.) I don't have enough grocery spend to cover PYB for one night let alone a few and there are no fuel perks here. Not the best transfer but to each his own.

But grocery stores carry gift cards. Topping off is a reasonable thing to do with a few thousand points but to spend 50,000 UR +~$40 (not sure what resort fee is anymore) cash is objectively a bad choice. One could purchase $750 in gift cards and erase that charge with PYB, in disney or other gift cards (including visa gift cards with a nominal fee). Turn around and book the Dolphin for likely $200-$400.

transfer to marriott: 50,000 UR = room for one night

Use PYB: 50,000 UR = room for one night + an additional~$400 to~$550... it is 100% better to do this, almost no matter what

Personally, I would simplify it and just buy disney gift cards and book $750 worth of disney resorts with these... easy peasy

Swan/Dolphin used to be a great redemption when it was SPG. I stayed 20 nights over a couple years paying only the resort fee which was around $25-$30 back then. I absolutely loved it but the points cost for this has more than doubled and the ability to cash out UR has increased dramatically

Sitting at 4/24 and I began an attempted to begin MDD today... began with CSP in branch offer which yielded 7-10 day message. Called recon and they said I had to move credit over to get approved. I was sitting on $15,000 (+$4k 1 biz card) in credit across multiple cards with $90k income. I did not expect this at all... I did shift around and had to close one card but I am very concerned about second part of the MDD, CSR, tomorrow. I am wondering if it could help to reduce the biz limit or even close... maybe could improve offs of instant approval? Alternatively, I could forgo the CSR and apply for something that doesn't have the minimum credit limit... or I could just apply as planned and see if I can close 3 cards on recon to free up $10k. Anyone experience anything similar? I am surprised because I used to have much higher limits with chase and with with much lower income... I had closed some cards and reduced limits some time ago.. Also, the cards I currently hold are all several years old.

In the next few months I'll use my P2's support link for a Southwest card. In May 2022 we'll be using points for four to travel to Orlando. Would I be able to purchase EBCI for all four to get the $75 credit for a SW purchase and do an upgraded boarding for all four?

I personally have never used it for EBCI but I think it should work. The fine print says:
A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Priority Card is used for Southwest Airlines® purchases (excluding Upgraded Boardings and inflight purchases) Maybe someone else will chime in and verify that.

The upgraded boardings should work for all 4 as long as there is availability. I use it 2 at a time for DH and I.

I personally have never used it for EBCI but I think it should work. The fine print says:
A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Priority Card is used for Southwest Airlines® purchases (excluding Upgraded Boardings and inflight purchases) Maybe someone else will chime in and verify that.

The upgraded boardings should work for all 4 as long as there is availability. I use it 2 at a time for DH and I.
From what I read about upgraded boarding you can't do it ahead of time. It has to be on the day of the flight?

I just logged in to my account and was shopping around and saw the following message on an item I was looking at buying "
Get 50% off when you use American Express Membership Rewards points. Maximum discount $60. See terms.
"
That linked to this offer page: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=20906611011

You'll have to be signed in to see if you are targeted.

I just wanted to thank you for posting this deal. I shop on Amazon all the time and hadn't seen that - it worked on my account. I bought $119.80 for $59.90 for things that I needed by using 1 UR point. I would have never known had you not posted!

From what I read about upgraded boarding you can't do it ahead of time. It has to be on the day of the flight?
Correct. EBCI you buy ahead of time and will be something A16 or higher. You can get it on any flight, and the earlier you buy, the better your boarding position will be. Upgraded boardings are sold at the gate, are for A1-A15, and are subject to availability. They are also about twice as expensive as EBCI, if memory serves.

correct, you can get 4. Doesn't matter how much they cost. The best part is that you earn points on the purchase even though Chase credits your account. We upgraded on 6/11 when SW was having their 50X special. It was $160 for all 4, DH earned 5K bonus points and it didn't even cost us anything.

Can you buy EBCI with the SW $75 credit, or the upgraded boardings, if the card holder is not flying?

Can you buy EBCI with the SW $75 credit, or the upgraded boardings, if the card holder is not flying?
You an use the $75 credit to buy EBCI, when we used the upgrades we were asked for IDs, I'm not sure if that was just to upgrade the boarding pass or to confirm the name on the CC matched, I think it had more to do with the actual boarding pass than the CC.

You an use the $75 credit to buy EBCI, when we used the upgrades we were asked for IDs, I'm not sure if that was just to upgrade the boarding pass or to confirm the name on the CC matched, I think it had more to do with the actual boarding pass than the CC.
ok. I am just thinking dd and I are flying one way on SW in October, and dh and ds are flying round trip SW a week later, but not with us. Trying to see if it would be worth the higher AF to be able to use it to benefit our trip and theirs.

Sitting at 4/24 and I began an attempted to begin MDD today... began with CSP in branch offer which yielded 7-10 day message. Called recon and they said I had to move credit over to get approved. I was sitting on $15,000 (+$4k 1 biz card) in credit across multiple cards with $90k income. I did not expect this at all... I did shift around and had to close one card but I am very concerned about second part of the MDD, CSR, tomorrow. I am wondering if it could help to reduce the biz limit or even close... maybe could improve offs of instant approval? Alternatively, I could forgo the CSR and apply for something that doesn't have the minimum credit limit... or I could just apply as planned and see if I can close 3 cards on recon to free up $10k. Anyone experience anything similar? I am surprised because I used to have much higher limits with chase and with with much lower income... I had closed some cards and reduced limits some time ago.. Also, the cards I currently hold are all several years old.

The biz card 4K will not count. They won't switch credit from Biz cards to personal cards.
I doubt that 4K will have any effect one way or another, if you were to reduce it in advance, or even close the card.

You have to make up your own mind on whether it's worth a shot to try for CSR. My personal opinion is that you may suffer from eyes on your account. I'm gathering you have 10K left on your 3 older cards? I'd probably try it. I'd also think through in advance a good reason for wanting/needing both cards in exchange for the 3 you would give up, so you are ready for recon.

If you have one of the Freedoms the other option is to upgrade to the CSR if the card itself is important to you(versus getting the card with bonus). Good luck!

But grocery stores carry gift cards. Topping off is a reasonable thing to do with a few thousand points but to spend 50,000 UR +~$40 (not sure what resort fee is anymore) cash is objectively a bad choice. One could purchase $750 in gift cards and erase that charge with PYB, in disney or other gift cards (including visa gift cards with a nominal fee). Turn around and book the Dolphin for likely $200-$400.

transfer to marriott: 50,000 UR = room for one night

Use PYB: 50,000 UR = room for one night + an additional~$400 to~$550... it is 100% better to do this, almost no matter what

Personally, I would simplify it and just buy disney gift cards and book $750 worth of disney resorts with these... easy peasy

Swan/Dolphin used to be a great redemption when it was SPG. I stayed 20 nights over a couple years paying only the resort fee which was around $25-$30 back then. I absolutely loved it but the points cost for this has more than doubled and the ability to cash out UR has increased dramatically

One of the mantras around here is that there is no wrong way to churn. Meaning that what works for one may seem ridiculous to another, such as using MR's for gift cards. Or UR's to Marriott. But it may make lots of sense for the person who does it.

ok. I am just thinking dd and I are flying one way on SW in October, and dh and ds are flying round trip SW a week later, but not with us. Trying to see if it would be worth the higher AF to be able to use it to benefit our trip and theirs.
Yes! It is totally worth it. There is very little chance of getting an A boarding group without the EBCI. I don't know where they are flying to but there were no less than 6 families boarding during family boarding time. So if you are in B group, you'll be at the back of the plane.

One of the mantras around here is that there is no wrong way to churn. Meaning that what works for one may seem ridiculous to another, such as using MR's for gift cards. Or UR's to Marriott. But it may make lots of sense for the person who does it.
I've used MR's to buy gift cards, cashed them out at .09, transferred them to airlines and Marriott. My worst MR transfer has been to Flying blue, transferred 60K MRs for flights we didn't end up taking, now I have 60K points that I might never get to use.

Yes! It is totally worth it. There is very little chance of getting an A boarding group without the EBCI. I don't know where they are flying to but there were no less than 6 families boarding during family boarding time. So if you are in B group, you'll be at the back of the plane.
Thanks. They are flying to MSP to Phoenix in November, I didn't see a ton of families when we flew to Phoenix last time.
Is it often not possible to get upgraded boarding at MCO? I'd hate to rely on that, and not be able to get it, but I'd hate to pay for ECBI and then not use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter