I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Coast peeps…best Hyatt in CA…

Ventana Inn in Big Sur, but adults only (guessing that doesn't work for you). Carmel Valley Ranch was nice. Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach seems to get consistently good reviews. We have a stay planned there along with Andaz Napa, I can report back. The new Alila Marea Beach (near San Diego) looks gorgeous.

Ugh I see my my AF posted on my CSR and I guess I will keep it since they also posted the $100 fee adjustment. Can I do PYB to offset the AF?

Also, what's the best way to utilize the CSR travel credit? It's gas, groceries, or travel, however gas and groceries still earn points but the first $300 in travel will not earn points even if you use your travel credit on groceries...

I have better cards for gas and groceries right now but I guess there's no incentive to use the CSR for travel expenses if I have an alternative card with a travel bonus category. It's so stressful to try to figure out the best way to earn category bonus points.
I logged into my CSR UR portal and it looks like you can use PYB to offset the AF thru 12/31/21. You should login yourself to see if it shows that way for you.

I think the travel protections on the CSR are more than worth the $9 in lost rewards, so I choose earning nothing on the first $300 travel spend and continue putting airfare and car rental spend on the CSR for my own peace of mind. I have other cards with the travel bonus category too, so if it makes sense to pay for hotels or parking or tolls with those then I will. But for flights and primary car rental coverage it's the CSR for me.

With the elevated spend categories on my Disney Visa, what happens if a charge gets refunded several months from now? I’m booking some room only reservations for next Halloween that I may end up cancelling later this year if we can get the DVC room we want for that time. I’m debating whether I should use a different card so I can save my 5x points for gas that I know won’t get refunded. Can I ask Disney to give me a room refund in the form of a gift card instead of back to my credit card if we end up canceling the room only later this year?

She told me that technically, anyone, according to most insurance policies, is covered by your car insurance by anyone that YOU give permission to drive your car.
She said, don't say another word and don't get him coverage.
I didn't. My Ins guy, who knew me well enough, never said another word about it either.
The intent of the wording referenced above is for someone whom you might give permission to drive your car when i) there isn't time or ii) the need to contact the insurance company. For example, my sister takes my car to the store to pickup some milk or bread as a favor to me. Why would I call my broker to tell them my sister is driving my car once to the store and back? It's a one time thing. If she regularly drove one of our cars then I would absolutely tell my broker and provide them with all of her information and ensure that she was covered.

I didn't. My Ins guy, who knew me well enough, never said another word about it either.
Are you SUPPOSED to tell your Ins company? YES!
Could you play stupid and say, "oh, well, I just thought anyone I gave permission to drive my car is insured, right?" I did.
Never felt guilty about that.
Luckily, never had any accidents or other issues.
Unfortunately this was terrible and erroneous advice. You absolutely must report any and all licensed and temporary drivers in a household to your insurance company. If there was ever an accident involving your son it would not have been difficult for the insurance company to send out an investigator and see if he regularly drove any of the cars at your household (all they'd have to do is ask a few neighbors). If they found out that he did then your policy would have been voidable and you would've been personally responsible for any damages. Insurance companies have investigators on staff for reasons such as this. Teenage male drivers have more accidents than any other age group.

WRT to your 'insurance guy' who said not to do anything and you'd talk, the onus was on you to tell the insurance broker / insurance company. You should have sent him an e-mail and said "further to our conversation on X date at X time, please be advised that my son X, born on X day, month, year, now has a temporary license and will be driving the X car. Please let me know what information is required and confirm that he will be covered while driving. Then follow-up with him if you don't hear back and ask for written verification that your son is covered for driving any of the household vehicles. Once your son was fully licensed, you would write again and provide his license number and ask what other information they require to add him as a driver on your vehicles.

From insure dot com:
What happens if I don't add my teenager to my car insurance?
Don’t try to beat the system by failing to add your teen driver to your policy. If you do, and your child is in an accident, your car insurance company could deny coverage stating you committed fraud, specifically material misrepresentation, by not informing it of the licensed driver.

Alternatively, your insurer may cover the accident but then require you to pay all premiums that should have been paid since your child was licensed. Instead of having his premium spread out during all the months he was licensed, it will be due all at once.

Last edited:
Well summer is here FINALLY for me. I mean TECHNICALLY I have one more day tomorrow, but it's from home and I'm sure 99% of my students won't log in, LOL.

That said, I'm about to kick off the summer with back to back trips. I leave Monday for NC (my fav) come back on Friday. Then leave the following Monday for Vegas. The flight for NC was AA miles, and a crazy cheap web deal at that. The hotel for the week free (IHG points, gotta love stay 3 nights get 4th free). Then Vegas is Delta miles (not the cheapest, but better than the prices were). And staying at my fav, the Palazzo using my IHG free night certificates. The Palazzo is under 40k/night in June! July it goes back up to 70-90k/night. So we're sneaking in this trip to enjoy that :)

We'll see where I can talk the BF into going in July, LOL.
I'm going to cry.

Just logged into to my Hertz account. They have deleted my rental for next month. The reservation is gone. The only thing available is $900/day.
This happened to me. Not sure if it was Hertz, but they showed my reservation, so I was good to go!

No fee VGCs at Staples beginning 6/13. Of course, we are in Bonita Springs next week.
YAY! Maybe NC Staples will have cards. God knows the ones here by me in MI don't! Grrrr. I normally use these to beef up my Hilton Surpass spend (to get that FNC). But I do have a spend on the CIU to earn.....Hmmmm.

Ugh I see my my AF posted on my CSR and I guess I will keep it since they also posted the $100 fee adjustment. Can I do PYB to offset the AF?

Also, what's the best way to utilize the CSR travel credit? It's gas, groceries, or travel, however gas and groceries still earn points but the first $300 in travel will not earn points even if you use your travel credit on groceries...

I have better cards for gas and groceries right now but I guess there's no incentive to use the CSR for travel expenses if I have an alternative card with a travel bonus category. It's so stressful to try to figure out the best way to earn category bonus points.
Did you get the $100 off last year too? I want to get in on the CSP bonus, and try a MDD, but CSR has been nice to me w/ $150 off last year, plus the $450 fee to start. UGH

Perhaps I shouldn't share this but...... I will anyway.
When my son was almost about to get his learners permit by Ins guy came in to my workplace (USPS) by chance, and I asked him about getting coverage. He said not to do anything yet, and we'd discuss.
Not much longer, I spoke with an friend who worked in Insurance but moved to a new bigger company and had heard and learned some things.
She told me that technically, anyone, according to most insurance policies, is covered by your car insurance by anyone that YOU give permission to drive your car.
Could you play stupid and say, "oh, well, I just thought anyone I gave permission to drive my car is insured, right?" I did.
I'm kinda operating under this right now. My friend managed to get to 18 w/ his son before his insurance "caught" him and made him add his son. I have the coverage on my DD's car. She drives it all of 10 miles a week (to/from school). So I'm holding off on adding her. At first I just forgot (she got her car in March). Then I was waiting for her grades to post. I'll save like $250 based on her 2nd semester grades. Now I'm kinda waiting to see what kind of driving she'll be doing this summer. If it's little to none daily, I don't really feel like paying the $$$$ amount. I mean I can prove it's never driven by the odometer, LOL.

WRT to your 'insurance guy' who said not to do anything and you'd talk, the onus was on you to tell the insurance broker / insurance company. You should have sent him an e-mail and said "further to our conversation on X date at X time, please be advised that my son X, born on X day, month, year, now has a temporary license and will be driving the X car. Please let me know what information is required and confirm that he will be covered while driving. Then follow-up with him if you don't hear back and ask for written verification that your son is covered for driving any of the household vehicles. Once your son was fully licensed, you would write again and provide his license number and ask what other information they require to add him as a driver on your vehicles.
I had interpreted the ins guy comment of don't do anything YET as alluding to the fact that they don't get added to the insurance with just a learner's permit (at least not in PA). We had to add them once they officially got their license.

I would never dream of not adding them once they had a license. Older DD got in a major accident less than a year after she got her license, sliding off a curvy snow-covered road. Of course when DH had a smaller accident 6 months later, the ins co dropped us, but we got a better rate with a new company.

Last edited:

The intent of the wording referenced above is for someone whom you might give permission to drive your car when i) there isn't time or ii) the need to contact the insurance company. For example, my sister takes my car to the store to pickup some milk or bread as a favor to me. Why would I call my broker to tell them my sister is driving my car once to the store and back? It's a one time thing. If she regularly drove one of our cars then I would absolutely tell my broker and provide them with all of her information and ensure that she was covered.

Unfortunately this was terrible and erroneous advice. You absolutely must report any and all licensed and temporary drivers in a household to your insurance company. If there was ever an accident involving your son it would not have been difficult for the insurance company to send out an investigator and see if he regularly drove any of the cars at your household (all they'd have to do is ask a few neighbors). If they found out that he did then your policy would have been voidable and you would've been personally responsible for any damages. Insurance companies have investigators on staff for reasons such as this. Teenage male drivers have more accidents than any other age group.

From insure dot com:
What happens if I don't add my teenager to my car insurance?
Don’t try to beat the system by failing to add your teen driver to your policy. If you do, and your child is in an accident, your car insurance company could deny coverage stating you committed fraud, specifically material misrepresentation, by not informing it of the licensed driver.

Alternatively, your insurer may cover the accident but then require you to pay all premiums that should have been paid since your child was licensed. Instead of having his premium spread out during all the months he was licensed, it will be due all at once.
I agree.
It was wrong. I don't usually try to do anything to cheat a system but being a single parent times were tough.

With the elevated spend categories on my Disney Visa, what happens if a charge gets refunded several months from now? I’m booking some room only reservations for next Halloween that I may end up cancelling later this year if we can get the DVC room we want for that time. I’m debating whether I should use a different card so I can save my 5x points for gas that I know won’t get refunded. Can I ask Disney to give me a room refund in the form of a gift card instead of back to my credit card if we end up canceling the room only later this year?
I can't answer about Disney giving you a refund in the form of a gift card, but I recently canceled hotel reservations from a Chase Hyatt card that earned 4x on the original charge (room deposit). When it was refunded, the 4x additional points were taken away too. Since it's a co-branded Chase card, my assumption is that it will operate the same way on your Disney card.

I had interpreted the ins guy comment of don't do anything YET as alluding to the fact that they don't get added to the insurance with just a learner's permit (at least not in PA). We had to add them once they officially got their license.

I would never dream of not adding them once they had a license. Older DD got in a major accident less than a year after she got her license, sliding off a curvy snow-covered road. Of course when DH had a smaller accident 6 months later, the ins co dropped us, but we got a better rate with a new company.
Well, I knew the guy better than that so I knew what he was thinking.
But again, probably most of you are married with 2 incomes and didn't have tight financial issues.
Otherwise I probably would never had done that.

I agree.
It was wrong. I don't usually try to do anything to cheat a system but being a single parent times were tough.

And from all the trips in your signature you probably wouldn't have understood my circumstances. Wish I had that kind of money! Lucky you, I'm envious!

Last edited:
I have a super old capital one card that I realized I haven't used in years and don't know where it is. I need to call to get a replacement so I can use it before it ends up getting closed. But I was wondering since I have to call anyway, will they product change without a credit pull? I'm not familiar with capital one's processes. It's a card to earn points towards GM vehicles, which I initially got 13 years ago for a balance transfer offer. I've never had a use for those points and have never even accrued any. So looking to change it if it won't give me a hard pull.

I have a very old capital one card that i havent used in at LEAST 5 years. I only know about it when
i sign in to pay my Venture card. Every year when they post the annual fee (29) i call and ask them to
waive it and they do. I can't believe they have not closed the card. To me Cap1 is most lenient about
fees. Even when the Venture annual fee got raised to 95 mine has been kept to 59.

Perhaps I shouldn't share this but...... I will anyway.
When my son was almost about to get his learners permit by Ins guy came in to my workplace (USPS) by chance, and I asked him about getting coverage. He said not to do anything yet, and we'd discuss.
Not much longer, I spoke with an friend who worked in Insurance but moved to a new bigger company and had heard and learned some things.
I am glad your son never had any accidents so there were not any problems. But I am curious, how did you resolve it? Did you eventually tell them or did they find out?

I am glad your son never had any accidents so there were not any problems. But I am curious, how did you resolve it? Did you eventually tell them or did they find out?
Thank you for not being upset or taking anything I've said the wrong way. It wasn't the right thing to do but I admit I did it and financially things were rough. I was a single parent
the whole time raising my son. Looking back I don't think I ever did anything else like that as I am a very honest person ..... except for that.

No, they never found out and nothing ever happened.
I got lucky.

So, my advice is to not take my advice then.

Without quoting anybody so as not to allude to disapproval about the insurance issue, I want to share that as a single parent paying for kids to have cars with insurances, once they were eligible for licenses, I made it clear that the kid had to pay the insurance if they wanted the privilege and responsibility of driving.

So, first daughter did have the opportunity to work and could afford it. She was a mile or so from her job, and as it stood, I picked her up at closing time. Assistant manager at Blockbuster Video so you know that was quite a while back. And closing on the weekend at 1-2am.

She took driving instruction at 16 with a learners permit and didn't test until she was 18. Her dad gave her a car, an old car with low mileage, a big and old car - a 1988 Pontiac Bonneville. It was a tank. Gas was also cheap then, maybe a 1$ a gallon. She then started paying her insurance. At age 21 she bought a new Turbo Beetle - her choice. She paid for that also. And insured it, and paid for a good part of her college education.

Son got his learners and inherited the Bonneville. He tested and got his license at 17, when he could pay for his own gas and insurance. During his senior year before college, the tranny went out on the car, but it would still go forward. He drove it like that at least for his last high school semester. On to college in Boston and I gave the car to an employee with no transportation, who drove it with the one way tranny for some time. Son moved back and went to college locally and really missed the old car, but himself and his sister commuted to school and then work together for a while. Son bought a brand new pick up truck at age 21, paying for it himself and buying his own insurance.

Youngest DD got her permit at 16 and her license at 17. She didn't have a job as she was heavily involved in school activities. I paid the insurance but she didn't get to willy nilly run around with my car. Instead she enrolled in college, plus got a job at the college and saved her money (down payment) to buy her first new car at age 21. The college job also paid her tuition as well as a small scholarship she got elsewhere. And she paid her own insurance once she was working. Her car of choice was a Honda Civic that she still drives. It's in excellent shape and I keep telling her to buy a new one. She says, 'I don't need a new one'.

Without quoting anybody so as not to allude to disapproval about the insurance issue, I want to share that as a single parent paying for kids to have cars with insurances, once they were eligible for licenses, I made it clear that the kid had to pay the insurance if they wanted the privilege and responsibility of driving.

So, first daughter did have the opportunity to work and could afford it. She was a mile or so from her job, and as it stood, I picked her up at closing time. Assistant manager at Blockbuster Video so you know that was quite a while back. And closing on the weekend at 1-2am.

She took driving instruction at 16 with a learners permit and didn't test until she was 18. Her dad gave her a car, an old car with low mileage, a big and old car - a 1988 Pontiac Bonneville. It was a tank. Gas was also cheap then, maybe a 1$ a gallon. She then started paying her insurance. At age 21 she bought a new Turbo Beetle - her choice. She paid for that also. And insured it, and paid for a good part of her college education.

Son got his learners and inherited the Bonneville. He tested and got his license at 17, when he could pay for his own gas and insurance. During his senior year before college, the tranny went out on the car, but it would still go forward. He drove it like that at least for his last high school semester. On to college in Boston and I gave the car to an employee with no transportation, who drove it with the one way tranny for some time. Son moved back and went to college locally and really missed the old car, but himself and his sister commuted to school and then work together for a while. Son bought a brand new pick up truck at age 21, paying for it himself and buying his own insurance.

Youngest DD got her permit at 16 and her license at 17. She didn't have a job as she was heavily involved in school activities. I paid the insurance but she didn't get to willy nilly run around with my car. Instead she enrolled in college, plus got a job at the college and saved her money (down payment) to buy her first new car at age 21. The college job also paid her tuition as well as a small scholarship she got elsewhere. And she paid her own insurance once she was working. Her car of choice was a Honda Civic that she still drives. It's in excellent shape and I keep telling her to buy a new one. She says, 'I don't need a new one'.
Haha your post reminded me of my childhood. As a little kid, my dad had an old VW microbus camper that would not go in reverse. It drove my mom absolutely bonkers! Needless to say, I have some very funny memories of our family adventures in the microbus. Also, when I turned 16, my very first driving experience was my brother's Bonneville. It WAS a tank. Three people could sit comfortably on the bench seat in the front. Wow, I have some great memories of that as well!!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

I logged into my CSR UR portal and it looks like you can use PYB to offset the AF thru 12/31/21. You should login yourself to see if it shows that way for you.

I think the travel protections on the CSR are more than worth the $9 in lost rewards, so I choose earning nothing on the first $300 travel spend and continue putting airfare and car rental spend on the CSR for my own peace of mind. I have other cards with the travel bonus category too, so if it makes sense to pay for hotels or parking or tolls with those then I will. But for flights and primary car rental coverage it's the CSR for me.
Thanks! My AF shows that way too.!

So DH has a CSP. I know it only gets 2X rather than 3X bonus in the travel category but I was wondering if the Car Rental Primary Insurance coverage is the same on the CSP and CSR? I just did a quick look and it appears to be the same.

Question for the group. Today in the mail I got an offer from Amex for 0% APR on all charges for the next 12 mos on my Hilton Surpass. Is there any reason why I shouldn't accept this? I have monthly charges I put on the card, and then whenever there's a VGC offer I buy on that card (to hit the $15k). I don't "need" to carry a balance or need the time to pay things off, plus I'm working on SUB for Chase right now.

But I feel like there's no harm in accepting the 0% offer. If interest rates were better I'd use the time to earn some money in savings, but it's so low right now, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter