I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it mean activate the cards? I’m about to enter Disney property and I just grabbed them out of the package.

ETA: I just checked them on the DGC site, that’s probably it.
When you buy a GC it needs to be activated to make the funds available. All the GCs you see in stores are just hunks of plastic until the register activates them for the amount you buy. If it's activated you'll see a balance available to spend, if not you'll get an error or show $0 available (depending on the merchant). If you see a balance on the DGC site you are good with yours.

Sometimes when GCs are shipped the folks fulfilling the order miss a step and send it without activating it first.

DH and I did not agree on names at all. Took forever to pick 2 names for first one since we didn’t know if boy or girl. Second time I was so sure it was a boy I told DH he could pick girls name and I would pick boys name. Yep, that backfired on me.

Names took us forever too. We had spreadsheets. Our last name is long and starts with a vowel so we agreed that we wanted shortish names that wouldn't create initials that were an odd three-letter word. And then there were the nickname problems, especially with the boys. But I will say that my kids all like their names so I feel like we succeeded.

Names took us forever too. We had spreadsheets. Our last name is long and starts with a vowel so we agreed that we wanted shortish names that wouldn't create initials that were an odd three-letter word. And then there were the nickname problems, especially with the boys. But I will say that my kids all like their names so I feel like we succeeded.
Names.....we can't even come up with a short list this time. I'm fairly certain she won't have a name for quite a while after being born. Out of all six only two had names before birth. Names are just so hard for us!

If I am booking two rooms at a Hilton and needing to use points from both DHs account and mine. Would it be better to book one room under my name with my points and one under his, or to pool our points and book two rooms under one account?

I’m so confused by this. You didn’t really owe anything because of refunds and they are wanting you to pay something??
I don't follow either, does sound crazy. All my Chase cards are autopay, and I have several times had a refund that made my statement balance go to zero so no payment was made. (It annoys me because then I have to pay that month's charges next month.) I've never had an issue, but it is only one month, I haven't had it occur several months in a row.
No worries! I'll try to explain better. For 3 months in a row merchant credits for the period after my statement closed but before the autopay due date caused their computer to say $0 was due as it saw the merchant credits as payments. Chase does not consider the merchant credits sufficient payment to cover the minimum balance. Becuase this happened 2 months in a row I got a letter from them clearly stating they will shut down my account if I fail to pay the minimum balance again and that autopay will not pay the minimum balance if merchant credits cover the statement charges from the previous period. I had a very weird, perfect storm that got me here. I've had statements in the past that were like this no issues but I've never had 2, much less 3, in a row.

End result: if you ever have a merchant credit that you get after your statement closes, but before the payment due date, make a manual payment of the minimum balance. Autopay won't do this. You owe the minimum balance every month no matter what merchant credits hit your account.

Ugh. I've had quite a few days of rotten luck. Nothing major, just minor 1st world irritations.

After giving M V T company my Visa card info to book the trip, I received an email back that they have no availability. Seriously? Why go to all that trouble? Instead of a really great rate at POP, I'm booked through WDW with a military discount at Coronado Springs in a water view room in the tower. I can't decide if I want to keep our first night at the Coronado or just have three nights at the WA. I save by taking Magical Express, and DD and I don't mind it. I'm wishy-washy on the dining plan as well.

DD is in my class during the time that we will leave. She wants to be surprised. Is it rude to surprise her when my sub walks in and the other kids ask where I am going to say, "to Disney World. C'mon Maddy, let's go!" ??? I teach 6th grade and I'm close with all of my students. I know they will know that we're going. It's just a short trip. I'm taking Thursday afternoon off and Friday. We'll be back at school on Maddy's actual birthday, which is Monday.

Dh was pretty easy to please on the boys names. He’s normally very laid back anyway and goes with the flow. We agreed on a shorter nickname for a girl but I wanted a longer, more formal name to go with it. I think I went through 15 options before we finally agreed on one.

YAY! My CIU was finally approved today!! Actually, they said it was approved yesterday so I must have gotten tired of calling, lol. I just spoke to a person and asked them to rush ship my card. It will arrive in 1-2 business days!

When can DH expect to see the referral bonus appear on his CIC?
Yay!! Me too, for my SW Performance. Isn't it funny how we say finally. I've found myself thinking it many times in the past few days, and it's only been three days :-) The support points usually go pending on Tuesdays. It may be too early to see it this Tuesday, but most likely by next Tuesday you will see on the UR page that they are pending. Then they will post with the statement close.

So DH opened a checking account that requires (for the bonus) 10 online bill pays using their online system. Can I just pay my and DH's credit card bills for this purpose? I am planning to have some of his paycheck direct deposited there so this will make it easy to meet both requirements. Are there any issues to consider or reasons I should not do this?

End result: if you ever have a merchant credit that you get after your statement closes, but before the payment due date, make a manual payment of the minimum balance. Autopay won't do this. You owe the minimum balance every month no matter what merchant credits hit your account.

I found out from personal experience that this is true with Amex too. Even if the "merchant credit" is from Amex itself (like the Dell $100 credit on the Biz Plat). It still doesn't count as a payment.

Glad you got it figured out and kept your CSR!!

I found out from personal experience that this is true with Amex too. Even if the "merchant credit" is from Amex itself (like the Dell $100 credit on the Biz Plat). It still doesn't count as a payment.

Glad you got it figured out and kept your CSR!!
It terrifies me thinking how uniformed I was about this! I manage the company credit card accounts and we've done that on a couple of occasions with Amex offers, never thought twice about it. Minimum payments will always be made across all issuers now for sure!

Someone I worked with named their kid Samantha, nickname Sam. And her three letter intials were S.A.M. I thought that was so clever.

So DH opened a checking account that requires (for the bonus) 10 online bill pays using their online system. Can I just pay my and DH's credit card bills for this purpose? I am planning to have some of his paycheck direct deposited there so this will make it easy to meet both requirements. Are there any issues to consider or reasons I should not do this?
No problem with that. The only thing is that some people say that you shouldn't pay your credit card bill from a bunch of different accounts, but I really haven't seen any hard evidence of why not. I personally do it. You should be fine.

Twitter is usually really good about getting these things resolved also filing an executive complaint with Chase. It's how I got them to stop effing around with my biz accounts.
Small claims court?

I am not sure about the next action, I got the executive complaint address for Chase... They said the best they can do is offer a $100 courtesy credit to close my case, said that I am free to keep disputing it otherwise but they can no longer recover the charge from Sears and this is my only option. I accepted the $100, I guess I need to go back to Sears and see what angle I can work with them on it. Just really stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!