I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing!

We bought VGF direct on day one at $145 a point and it was the last time we bought direct. I can't believe how much it has gone up in such a short time. I'm glad we did because getting it at 7 months is darn near impossible. We did a Thanksgiving trip at VGF last year with both sides of the family. Two studios and two 2 bedrooms for 16 people. There is no way we would have secured that at 7 months.
Wow! I wish I had DVC on my radar then. That sounds like such a great trip and something I hope to be able to do one day! :cloud9:

I would love to go there, but WDW is much easier for us to get too. I told my DH if there is a downturn again someday in the resale market I want to buy more points but for now we are ok, it’s only when our kids go with us that we burn through a lot more! 1,000 sounds like a lovely number though
Sadly, I thought the same thing. I can buy a small direct contract now and if(when) there is another recession, look for some contracts that are being unloaded resale. I know it sounds sad, but it’s the truth.

Club 33 members get coast to coast APs included in their membership lol I gotta use this to persuade SO lol

But really the price increases is awful but the parks are insane. There is no dead season anymore so if it means less people I don’t mind but I think the crowds will still be insane
I wish! Lemme just win the lottery, buy my Golden Oak estate, and get invited to Club 33. Bye bye dreams of DVC HAHA :rotfl:

Agreed, I don’t think the crowds will be affected much by the changes. Not until the economy changes and people can’t actually afford high room rates, AP increases, paid DAH events, special dining at ticketed events, etc…

It looks like the Gold went up $90. Not great but a lot better than the $225 of Platinum. It makes me even happier I finally pulled the trigger and got into DVC last year. When you times by 5 the direct DVC has definitely been worth it.

Wow, I knew it would have to go up just to be more in line with the other APs, but how ridiculous? It's not like Gold is benefiting from the SWGE news. Probably did some analysis that $135 difference between Gold and Platinum was the sweet spot to push people over the edge for a chance at a registration slot (I am getting cynical)

Woof, price increases. I can't find the renewal rate for DVC at the moment, but still even just the Gold pass... I'm guessing this will keep happening, and why wouldn't they? The parks are always packed.

In a bit of exciting news, I managed to snag a Victoria and Albert's ADR for our December trip! We've never been. I'm looking forward to eating a variety of tiny things for 2 hours and leaving hungry.

It looks like the Gold went up $90. Not great but a lot better than the $225 of Platinum. It makes me even happier I finally pulled the trigger and got into DVC last year. When you times by 5 the direct DVC has definitely been worth it.
$90 is okay. I always assume they will raise the price to the absolute maximum level I can imagine them getting away with & they have never disappointed me...

$225 on Platinum is even higher than I would have expected, though.

We will probably get Gold again.

Woof, price increases. I can't find the renewal rate for DVC at the moment, but still even just the Gold pass... I'm guessing this will keep happening, and why wouldn't they? The parks are always packed.

In a bit of exciting news, I managed to snag a Victoria and Albert's ADR for our December trip! We've never been. I'm looking forward to eating a variety of tiny things for 2 hours and leaving hungry.
You will NOT leave hungry! Even DF left stuffed & that man can eat.

We first bought direct in 2007 because we wanted AKV's 1 bedroom setup with the extra bathroom. It made sense traveling with a family of 5 staying in a 1br. We added on through resale in 2012 but still at AKV. I kind of wish we had a small contract at BWV just for dh and I to use in Jan or Feb. DD24 wishes we had BLT!

Oh my, that sounds so similar to us! We did the same thing with AKV for the same reason. We had wanted to buy BCV and our guide told us we couldn't at the time. They were selling AKV and SSR. I was thinking of waiting another year hoping for BLT - but wasn't sure when that would happen. I am not sorry we bought AKV and Kidani is lovely - but we just enjoy walking to EPCOT so much that staying at BCV or BWV is usually our first choice. So, when we decided to add on I found a great contract resale and snagged it - my only wish was that they were vice versa - we have more points at AKV than BWV. It was when we added on that we started going by ourselves soon after once a year and taking our kids once a year as well. This next year we are planning two trips without kids - not sure if we will actually go through with it though. Depending on how many URs or AAs points we accumulate we might try to go to Universal with some of our kids.

Nah. I’m sure everyone else was banging there head against a wall like me! Much thanks!

Been there done that. And DHs cards are all similar to mine too.

Dumb and dumber????!!
Seriously I live less than an hour away in metro Boston and have never heard of such food. I did enjoy the occasional Dels and AwfulAwful when I did the Newport thing a few summers after college
When we lived in Newport our treat was Newport Creamery for breakfast and then Awfulawful. Memories!

We have always bought DVC new, direct, so I spend a lot of time justifying it to myself. I have heard that Consumer Reports estimated a 13 year break-even point without financing, as compared to renting a similar property. I calculated ours takes about 15 years to break-even including financing, based on what points could have been rented for.
That sounds like a long time to pay off, but viewed the other way, there are 35 years of "profit". Our Boardwalk is now "profitable" and Animal Kingdom is close behind. Buying resale costs less, but you will also have less years after breaking-even, which I figure reduces some of the benefit of after-market.
I can see someone buying resale for a specific property, like Boardwalk or Beach Club because they really enjoy Epcot festivals. The advice most give is buy enough points (we usually wish we had more), and buy where you want to stay. This is more important as it seems harder and harder to book outside your home resort at the 7 month window.

I have done so many spreadsheets trying to figure out my breakeven. Comparing to rack rate, general public discounts, AP discounts, etc. One thing that also entices me about PVB is that once it opened and Poly’s cash room inventory was cut in half, Poly now receives pretty bad discounts Disney direct. I can stay at GF for almost $200 less a night under an AP rate!

I’ve finally come to the realization that regardless of savings, DVC is just something that I want to make me happy. IDK if that is the right attitude, but I know I will be going to WDW for the foreseeable future and having it will make me enjoy my trips more LOL

When I bought in 2000, breakeven was estimated to be 5 years. I eventually bought 4 contracts and not sure what it was for the last one in 2003. Then I got over addonitis, thankfully. That was a long illness with a lot of flareups that I managed to get through somehow. Even to this day I will start wanting something I don't need, like VGF and Poly.

Wow! You’ve had some great willpower!

Is it bad that I’m considering not even getting APs? The only thing in the foreseeable future I see us doing is the villain dah which is a ticketed event anyway. Should we just pay for that and not worry about the APs yet?
It’s not bad. I’d pay for the event you want & get APs when the time is right. You’re gonna be busy moving (and paying for all the stuff you didn’t see coming because new house + new state) and exploring FL, settle into the Mouse House Life after they get their -uh, stuff- together (ROTR, Mickey & Minnie Train I’m looking at you!). All the major Epcot changes, ROTR, Tron & other 50th Anniversary stuff is stuff you’ll eventually want to see so it’s not like you’re kissing WDW goodbye forever, it will still be there when you’re ready but it’ll be more shiny & pretty ;)

Is it bad that I’m considering not even getting APs? The only thing in the foreseeable future I see us doing is the villain dah which is a ticketed event anyway. Should we just pay for that and not worry about the APs yet?
Not at all, it is kinda crazy how the prices jumped! But if it were me living in Florida, I would be very sad not having access to the parks. If you don’t think you are going to want a SWGE preview or use the water parks, I would crunch some numbers and look at the most economical option.

You can always buy discounted tickets and then upgrade them to a lower tiered Florida AP. Maybe find a CC that erases travel purchases, start with FL Discover Disney tickets on UT (double check these can be upgraded!), then upgrade and pay off with accumulated discounted Disney gift cards. Just an idea.

Sadly, I thought the same thing. I can buy a small direct contract now and if(when) there is another recession, look for some contracts that are being unloaded resale. I know it sounds sad, but it’s the truth.

I hope that it works out for you. I may do the same thing if there is another recession too.

Some people are just takers with no regard for the common good or thanks for the community. Some of you do a great job of overlooking that.

Sorry maybe I'm being paranoid but is this directed toward me? Because I've used promo links for several of the dischurners so I think I've given back. If it's not directed toward me I apologize.

Even if it's not for me, I guess I'm not right for this group because I'm sensing a lot of negativity toward someone. Thanks to all who have helped me out.

So I have been busy this morning at work... making another spreadsheet for myself LOL

Pricing a 75 point direct Poly contract, thinking these are my best CC options with referrals:
3 CIPs - Redeem for future travel via CSR: $171 pp
3 CIPs - Cashed out: $195 pp

If I can't get CIP 3, then I would refer to a CSP:
2 CIPs, 1 CSP - Redeem for future travel via CSR: $177 pp
2 CIPs, 1 CSP - Cashed out: $198 pp

I would also throw some on the Amex Plat to complete that MSR if its within the next 2 months.

While price per point is still high, I would have never thought to do this years ago when purchasing and the price was lower. Could CC be my breakeven point? 😂

I was a bit worried about some of you over here when I saw the AP increases at WDW but you all seem to be handling it in practical churneresque style. Doing the new math on it, considering alternative vacation plans- being sad and a bit mad but moving on to the next steps instead of dwelling in Disney’s gut punch and raving about how unfair it is*

*if you want to rant it’s a safe space & I’ll give you a hug and commiserate because we’re DISchurner family here. If you want to rant in multiple places the ticket forum should be your next stop, but FYI a popcorn:: Level Drama Warning is in effect over there today (rightly so but still)

I am really ticked about the amount of the AP increase. I was going to renew our DVC, since our price was so good it wasn't much more than a 5 day hopper. That was the only reason we had AP's (and then I always had the option for a quick extra trip at some point), but not sure I can justify and extra $90 each, for a small chance at another trip. And DS moved out, so his upgrade would have to be the public platinum renewal, which is insane. He is the one of us though, that is probably going again next year. I will have to crunch some numbers. Really not happy.

Oh, and another week without my 80k Delta miles from AMEX.

It’s not bad. I’d pay for the event you want & get APs when the time is right. You’re gonna be busy moving (and paying for all the stuff you didn’t see coming because new house + new state) and exploring FL, settle into the Mouse House Life after they get their -uh, stuff- together (ROTR, Mickey & Minnie Train I’m looking at you!). All the major Epcot changes, ROTR, Tron & other 50th Anniversary stuff is stuff you’ll eventually want to see so it’s not like you’re kissing WDW goodbye forever, it will still be there when you’re ready but it’ll be more shiny & pretty ;)
This is so well said. Thank you! We just don’t really have any plans to visit besides the dah and maybe a Christmas party which are both ticketed events. I’m also thinking now that we won’t want the water parks included, at least not right away. Dh doesn’t love water parks and we’ve never been to the Disney ones so I think we’d want to try them before buying APs.

I think we’ll probably just buy our dah tickets and see when it makes sense to get APs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter