I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another $50 brokerage offer on DoC today. COIN Brokerage, invest $100 get $50 after 90 days. No support links here. Your $100 is invested in a portfolio of "conscious" companies focused on topics you pick. The company is backed by a large insurance company. The risk here is market risk, imho it will probably be more volatile than normal SPX ETF type stuff but I'm willing to gamble they won't lose 50% of my money. Fee is .75% annually.

The AF is "only" $95. I can get more than that in value from the 35k FN certificate. Although peak pricing is looming, which will devalue the 35k FN cert, I do expect Marriott to give some advance notice when it'll go into effect, and I'm fairly confident that my latest FN cert will deposit and I can redeem it before then.
I just booked a night at a 35k hotel for September. I don't have enough points and chose the points advance, but will want to use my certificate when it gets deposited into my account (expecting it soon). Think I'll be able to call and have them apply it? The cash rate for the hotel is over $400 for that night so paying $95 for it seems like a deal!

We're slow cc openers (can't even call use churners yet lol) yet put almost everything on a cc each month. Since July we've gotten a CSR, a CSP, a CF, and a WoH, plus my 2 SW cards for the CP. Dh's CIP will be knocked out with 2 transactions, and then I'll use his link to apply for my own. Then we'll have all the UR that I wrote in my long post :)

So how. many days did you spend on the North Island and on the South Island? Ideally we'd take a separate trip to NZ for multiple weeks, which means that wouldn't happen for many years.

Where did you go when you were in Australia?

I've been watching Air New Zealand flights for a week now. The only nonstop business seats to SFO/LAX/IAH between now and the end of the available schedule (so late April 2020) are for late June into late July this year :eek: I don't know how willing I am to wait to book those seats so close to a trip! @CoP Luv I'll add ORD to my list :)

@mmmears I haven't been looking at flights into AUK but I have into SYD on United. I was getting frustrated because it seemed nothing was available in J saver. And then last week, all kinds of flights were once again available for 80K!

Out of IAH, there's huge availability on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays during April 2020. I can once again find multiple connections from PHL and EWR (my preferred airports for United since we can get a shuttle v easily) though IAH :) Those are "mixed" flights because the first leg---but it beats taking SW to Hobby and shuttling to IAH with an overnight stay!

Availability in J on the LAX-SYD flight during the April 2020 time period is pretty good, with Sundays and Mondays available as well as a couple random days (haven't looked at connections from east coast though).

The SFO-SYD flight during that same time period stinks with only one day.
We went to Australia for 3 weeks- started in early July (7/10/00 for our honeymoon) It is their winter. I would not go that time of year again. It was a bit cool to enjoy everything. It wasn’t too bad in Cairns and the Daintree Rainforest but it was frigid in the wine country that we stopped at on our way from Sydney to Brisbane.

If we have to go during our summer, we are returning as late as we can in Aug or potentially over Christmas break.

I just booked a night at a 35k hotel for September. I don't have enough points and chose the points advance, but will want to use my certificate when it gets deposited into my account (expecting it soon). Think I'll be able to call and have them apply it? The cash rate for the hotel is over $400 for that night so paying $95 for it seems like a deal!

Yes, I believe you'll have to call in to attach the FN cert, but beware of getting Bonvoyed.

Trying to figure out next cards. Currently finishing up spend on Upgraded Bonvoy Card. I think I have $1000 or so left on that and then I added 2 -AU's (both kids) to DH's Gold Card to get 5,000 MR points after $500 spend on each card. So, need to do that also. So much easier if they were not AMEX cards...

Looking to open a few cards probably July/August. Will have Tuition due and can wipe out some SUB's really easy.

I am at 4/24 with another card dropping end of June. Probably stay with Business cards. Want to get SW Cards/Companion Pass end of this year/beginning of next year so need to figure that in the equation.
I have 3 Chase Business Cards open right now:
Chase Marriott Business - 2/18 (can close at any time was just keeping open for free night but may need to close to get new Business Cards)
CIP# 1 - 8/18 ( will close this one after a year)
CIP# 2 - 12/18 (will probably close this one after a year also - have both CSP and CSR Currently)
Thinking of going for one of the other Chase Business Cards after closing one of above. Not sure if they would let me have 4 Business Cards and also not sure on CIP #3?? Although that would be the best.

DH is 4/24 - next card drops off in December. He also has 3 Chase Business Cards open.
CIP# 1 - 5/18 - (will close after year)
CIP #2 - 9/18 - (will probably close this after a year also)
CIU -3/19
So, the other Chase Business Card. Do you think CIP # 3 is too risky? All CIP's were done on SS #'s but we do have EINs if that makes a difference.

AMEX does not like us anymore. DH was targeted for Delta Card - was going to try and get Delta Business and see if it went through with targeted email, but had recently got him Lowes and Blue Business and they are only 60 days old and the Mailer expires before the 90 days. (Didn't get SUB on these but got referral bonuses from Gold Card).

Anything I am not thinking of??

I can’t recall who it was but we had that recently happen here on the thread where somebody new to the game needed Delta miles and the offers were at an all time high. A Delta biz card was the no brainer right answer for that person. CIP will still be there tomorrow but those Delta offers were about to go away. And of course, that advice came out of asking some questions and digging deeper. :)

So to all who are lurking, speak up and come out of lurkdom sometimes :) Don’t act on other people’s advice, we can give you your own customized advice. :thumbsup2

That was @ep1229.

I love it when a plan comes together. DH is getting sent on a work trip the day before we’re supposed to leave for a horse show that’s 5 hours away. The work trip puts us 3 hours closer to the horse show, plus we get another Marriott stay on DH’s account, PLUS we’ll get paid mileage to drive there, and we’ll get to leave earlier to drive to the horse show from the work site than we would have if we were just leaving from home!

Yes, I believe you'll have to call in to attach the FN cert, but beware of getting Bonvoyed.

I would first check and see if you can book the free night yourself once you get it. If you are able to book it, (meaning there is free night availability) then just cancel the points night. If you can't, then call in.

Anyway! If DH has never had any Marriott/Bonvoy cards from Chase, he should be eligible for the Amex Bonvoy Biz and Brilliant, so he may want to keep the Amex SPG for its ability to refer himself to the Bonvoy Biz and Brilliant for 20k Marriott points per card. But do try to have him call Amex's retention line, play hard to get, and see if he can get a retention offer out of them. Good luck!

He has never had any Marriott/Bonvoy cards from Chase. I’ll have him call the retention line to try to get an offer. Good idea having him refer himself for Bonvoy. Thank you so much for all of your help!!

Trying to figure out if the next card is DH's Amex Plat or CIP #2 for me. Plastiq is still dead (again), right? Our first installment property taxes could wipe out the MSR right away.

Trying to figure out next cards. Currently finishing up spend on Upgraded Bonvoy Card. I think I have $1000 or so left on that and then I added 2 -AU's (both kids) to DH's Gold Card to get 5,000 MR points after $500 spend on each card. So, need to do that also. So much easier if they were not AMEX cards...

Looking to open a few cards probably July/August. Will have Tuition due and can wipe out some SUB's really easy.

I am at 4/24 with another card dropping end of June. Probably stay with Business cards. Want to get SW Cards/Companion Pass end of this year/beginning of next year so need to figure that in the equation.
Chase Marriott Business - 2/18 (can close at any time was just keeping open for free night but may need to close to get new Business Cards)
CIP# 2 - 12/18 (will probably close this one after a year also - have both CSP and CSR Currently)
Thinking of going for one of the other Chase Business Cards after closing one of above. Not sure if they would let me have 4 Business Cards and also not sure on CIP #3?? Although that would be the best.

DH is 4/24 - next card drops off in December. He also has 3 Chase Business Cards open.
CIU -3/19
So, the other Chase Business Card. Do you think CIP # 3 is too risky? All CIP's were done on SS #'s but we do have EINs if that makes a difference.

AMEX does not like us anymore. DH was targeted for Delta Card - was going to try and get Delta Business and see if it went through with targeted email, but had recently got him Lowes and Blue Business and they are only 60 days old and the Mailer expires before the 90 days. (Didn't get SUB on these but got referral bonuses from Gold Card).

Do referral bonuses get taxed ?

Thank you for responding and making me feel better!

For anyone else looking at options, the other upgrade I was offered was to upgrade to the Brilliant for 50,000 with 2,000 in spend.

I totally would've taken the upgrade offer (even if it's not 100k), but it wasn't offered to me.

I see what you mean. I would have to reevaluate a plat after one year so I'd like to get all 12 credits... much as I'd hate to get on the naughty list, I dont know if a Plat would make sense to keep for us with that AF. Could use uber and airline credits, and if they ever open this darn Centurion lounge at DEN that would help... would have to figure out the Saks credit to take advantage of that, theres not one near us and I don't think I've ever been in one or on the website. It stinks they just pulled the PP restaurants because that could have been a big factor in keeping a Plat over a CSR.

Dont forget that he wears a leotard/ unitard

I have no problem using the Saks money, and I order stuff online and get free shipping with shop runner. For me the best way to spend it is on stuff I would normally buy at Sephora, so the order that arrived today had facial soap, toner, and moisturizer. Oh, and they also have those "free gift with purchase" deals the other stores have, so if you time it right you can get quite a bit of stuff. I think someone else mentioned getting sunscreen with the money. Just a few ideas. Hope this helps. The travel money is definitely not as easy to use up as it is on the CSR.

Ugh! I hate when cashiers and managers make up their own rules (or even laws! and accuse us of breaking federal money “laundry” or some other made up laws). This happened at a Lowe’s near me late last year, after I had been going there for months buying $100 and $200 third party GCs with no problems using my credit card to slowly use up Amex Offers. Yes, I’ve had a Lowe’s cashier accuse me of “money laundry,” said debit or cash only, that I can’t buy “credit” with “credit,” couldn’t understand I was trying to buy a GC not a prepaid card, insisted no stores allow buying GCs with credit cards. The stupid thing was she pointed to a sign that only said GC purchases of $200 or more need manager approval, which had nothing to do with our conversation and didn’t necessitate her accusing me of a federal crime of her own making. Thing is, she couldn’t even find a manager on duty so she just asked another drone in the next lane. I don’t bother with that location anymore.

First, I have to say I'm LOLing at "money laundry." Second, this is ridiculous. Back when DD was in middle school and it was impossible to figure out bday presents for certain kids I would just buy them GCs for places like Target, etc. I always paid for those GCs with a credit card ( I don't really carry cash ) and I have never had any issues. Who's going to walk around with $500 cash just so they can use it to buy a $500 GC? Crazy.

I would first check and see if you can book the free night yourself once you get it. If you are able to book it, (meaning there is free night availability) then just cancel the points night. If you can't, then call in.
Good idea - especially after the frustration I had when trying to get my 7 night cert attached to a reservation.

CIU -3/19

I have had 4 Chase business cards at once but not two of the same kind.....
Pretty sure there is someone here who recently received their 3rd CIP.....don’t have a spreadsheet like @Lain :rolleyes1 so don’t remember who

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!