I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG!!! So I've been riding the grAAvy train with a goal of either 1) Australia or 2) S Africa and not really holding out too much hope for Australia since, you know, Qantas Unicorn 🦘🦄. Well, I received an email this am from Spencer Howard with dates and availabilities on Qantas (straighttothepoints.co --I don't use his service but he'll email out alerts). Anyway, I was 13k short of the 220 AA miles I needed to I put the tickets on hold, bought the 13K AA miles to top off my miles and next Feb DH and I are headed to Sydney from LAX in Qantas first! I cannot tell y'all how excited I am:bounce:

Granted, I'm not sure what we'll do once we're there (I'm thinking a cruise?) or how we're getting back but I am SO GLAD I boarded the grAAvy train and kept hope alive :)

OMG - Ah-mazing!!! Woo Hoo!!! I'm so excited for you! :cheer2::banana::cheer2:

Last edited:
Chase is more concerned about actual cards you have opened and their rule is 5/24 (most biz cards don't count in that). Supposedly Barclay has a 6/24 rule but my dh was not 6/24 and he was denied so I think there may be a 6/24 but there is also just a sensitivity to too many recent cards. I don't think the car lease will affect anything at all.
I was @ 6/24 when I was automatically approved for the Arrival +. But I have had the Choice Privileges card with them for 8 years. Although it had seen no love in recent years.

Talking about Marriott products made me check my account (and everything was still okay). But, I have now joined the ranks of the bonboyed although they did make it right so I'm reluctant to complain or name the hotel. It was a hotel level mishap that ended in my favor but it was rough actually getting it resolved, because I don't think they were quite understanding what happened at first.

We booked one free night and 2 cash nights. On arrival I mentioned the situation so that we could stay in the same room. Also gave my credit card to take care of the cash nights,even though they were booked by daughter and I booked the free night.

Somehow the girl who checked me into our free room managed to cancel the second 2 night reservation, charge a cancellation fee on that to my daughter, charge me Marriott's fee for the free night instead of Marriott, and in the process changed our rate on the cash reservation that was also rebooked. And, my card was charged and charged and charged again. I stayed patient and we enjoyed our getaway, but on checkout and twice during our stay I tried to get it fixed. It took a week after returning home to get someone at the hotel to research enough to understand the chain of events. And then another 4 or 5 days for all the credits to resolve. I ended with 1 night comped and a bit of free food, which was okay with me.

I have no problem using the Saks money, and I order stuff online and get free shipping with shop runner. For me the best way to spend it is on stuff I would normally buy at Sephora, so the order that arrived today had facial soap, toner, and moisturizer. Oh, and they also have those "free gift with purchase" deals the other stores have, so if you time it right you can get quite a bit of stuff. I think someone else mentioned getting sunscreen with the money. Just a few ideas. Hope this helps.
I use mine to purchase DS VIneyard Vines clothing :)

I was @ 6/24 when I was automatically approved for the Arrival +. But I have had the Choice Privileges card with them for 8 years. Although it had seen no love in recent years.

My churning co-worker said Barclay is tightening up their business application, making sure “business” is legit. I don’t know if that’s true or not....... either way I will leave Barclay alone until I can get CIP#2 for me and my husband.

My churning co-worker said Barclay is tightening up their business application, making sure “business” is legit. I don’t know if that’s true or not....... either way I will leave Barclay alone until I can get CIP#2 for me and my husband.
Yeah - we’ve discussed that here a bit already. DoC actually had a post on it today for those interested:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barc...ess-documents-after-approving-business-cards/DoC doesn’t really say anything new there - really just a re-hash of what we’ve already discussed here but still worth perusing for those looking at Barclays biz cards right now.

Perhaps one way around this is to use an EIN for those who have one or are open to this route.

I do. I want two Brilliants because another 50k FN cert is much more useful to us than another 35k cert, especially if Amex is willing to give me bonus points to upgrade my card to get that higher cert. But I think because I already have the Brilliant, I'm not getting targeted with upgrade offers on my SPG personal card. I'm holding off on the Brilliant for DW to stretch out her 5/24 status a little longer. Maybe, in a year, when her SPG personal turns one, she'll get targeted with an upgrade offer, then we can sign up for the Brilliant and upgrade to the Brilliant at the same time.
I would also like 2 brilliants or maybe upgrade to the Ritz. I'd prefer the 2 brilliants. But I don't think there's any chance we are going to get this offer. I have wondered whether they would let me upgrade if I requested to turn my personal into a brilliant without additional compensation.

Yeah - we’ve discussed that here a bit already. DoC actually had a post on it today for those interested:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barc...ess-documents-after-approving-business-cards/DoC doesn’t really say anything new there - really just a re-hash of what we’ve already discussed here but still worth perusing for those looking at Barclays biz cards right now.

Perhaps one way around this is to use an EIN for those who have one or are open to this route.

I just read that! I saw some people called recon line after denial, and got approved. Maybe I’ll try that after receiving denial letter.......or is this a bad idea?

Talking about Marriott products made me check my account (and everything was still okay). But, I have now joined the ranks of the bonboyed although they did make it right so I'm reluctant to complain or name the hotel. It was a hotel level mishap that ended in my favor but it was rough actually getting it resolved, because I don't think they were quite understanding what happened at first.

We booked one free night and 2 cash nights. On arrival I mentioned the situation so that we could stay in the same room. Also gave my credit card to take care of the cash nights,even though they were booked by daughter and I booked the free night.

Somehow the girl who checked me into our free room managed to cancel the second 2 night reservation, charge a cancellation fee on that to my daughter, charge me Marriott's fee for the free night instead of Marriott, and in the process changed our rate on the cash reservation that was also rebooked. And, my card was charged and charged and charged again. I stayed patient and we enjoyed our getaway, but on checkout and twice during our stay I tried to get it fixed. It took a week after returning home to get someone at the hotel to research enough to understand the chain of events. And then another 4 or 5 days for all the credits to resolve. I ended with 1 night comped and a bit of free food, which was okay with me.
Is it the new one in OC? Maybe new staff in training issues?

So I'm thinking I'm pretty much waiting on a response from them for nothing. I faxed and then emailed in my personal tax returns (almost 2 weeks ago) as that's all I've got. No other proof of business, and my business is my name (sole prop). So should I just call in and tell them to cancel my card? Does anyone know how this approval and then subsequent not being able to use my card will affect my ability to get the personal Jetblue card? I want the points! I guess I could just have my husband apply for the personal card if necessary.

We need to move away from Southwest since they no longer have non-stops from EWR to MCO, and Jetblue is our best option. I know we can book using UR, but may as well get the card so we can get "free" bags and Jetblue points too.

Edit to add: I see I can go through the IRS and get myself an EIN. If I want to do that, are there any possible ramifications of doing that? I don't have any actual business income to report if that matters.

Last edited:
Sorta :offtopic:

Carry-on luggage---do you prefer hard- or soft-sided? Why?

Favorites that are international size?

Anyone have an Away regular size carry-on?

The wheels on our current spinners are starting to misbehave. We got the set at Costco before traveling to China w dd just about 5 years ago so they have lots of miles and flights on them! I'd like to get new bags for dh and I before we go to Rome in November and, fingers crossed, India in December.

I just read that! I saw some people called recon line after denial, and got approved. Maybe I’ll try that after receiving denial letter.......or is this a bad idea?

Just keep in mind that getting approved is only half the battle with Barclays. I had no issue with approval and using my card. P2 was approved but unable to use card due to a hold. Still in limbo trying to get it sorted and not holding out a lot of hope it will work out.

I would also like 2 brilliants or maybe upgrade to the Ritz. I'd prefer the 2 brilliants. But I don't think there's any chance we are going to get this offer. I have wondered whether they would let me upgrade if I requested to turn my personal into a brilliant without additional compensation.

Yes, as long as your personal SPG is over a year old (and I know it is), you can request an upgrade to the Brilliant. I think you can actually do this online. If you log into the Amex account with your SPG card, click Menu in the upper left hand corner, click Cards, click View All Credit Cards, you should then be able to find the Bonvoy Brilliant. If there's an upgrade offer there, congrats! If not, there should still be a button to "Request an Upgrade."

I totally would've taken the upgrade offer (even if it's not 100k), but it wasn't offered to me.
I thought of you immediately when reading that post!
I have no problem using the Saks money, and I order stuff online and get free shipping with shop runner. For me the best way to spend it is on stuff I would normally buy at Sephora, so the order that arrived today had facial soap, toner, and moisturizer. Oh, and they also have those "free gift with purchase" deals the other stores have, so if you time it right you can get quite a bit of stuff. I think someone else mentioned getting sunscreen with the money. Just a few ideas. Hope this helps. The travel money is definitely not as easy to use up as it is on the CSR.
I looked around during my 10min of free time at work today :rotfl: thanks for the suggestions! I didnt think about beauty stuff. I think to start I would just not count the saks credit against the AF unless I find things like that I'd be buying anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter