I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many inquiries were a problem for Citi? Wondering if that is what happened with my denied app - the recon guy couldn’t tell me what the problem was when I called and said to call tomorrow. But I’m impatient...
This was a super long time ago...like 2015 long time ago. I seem to recall them getting hung up with 6 inquiries in the last 12 months or something like that. I was trying for a Thank You card of some sort I bet. I don't think with their partner cards they get hung up on this stuff though. I mean there are obviously people getting 12 AA cards a year from them without issue.

Another Pei DP. I bought something at Sephora this afternoon because it's on swagbucks local and I needed to fill in a square, those that do sb will get it everyone else just know that you link your card and get a % back for in store stuff to your sb acct. It's mostly restaurants and the stores they have never stay long so it's not generally worth it.

Long story short, Pei also has sephora on their app and I just got notification that it's pending. I know not all cashback apps work together so I thought I'd post this does. Only 1% combined with the 4% and I got back a quarter! Every little bit helps though.

How do you all meet minimum spending requirements? Our mortgage is automatically deducted through our credit union. We do have a business, but it’s farming and there are major fees (sometimes 6%) for paying using credit cards. Many times you lose your early incentives as well. Last year we spent over $250,000 through the farm, but it’s all in checks.

I’ve gotten caught up in the spend a dollar to save a quarter mentality before, and I don’t want to go back down that route. We pay our cards off monthly. We just did a big house remodel, and don’t have many other “big” house expenses planned this year.

Any tips you have to meet minimum spending would be great. Thanks!!!

I should add that I have 3 cards we primarily use, and that’s where I should be researching how to earn more bonuses. I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and got it and qualified when it was a bonus of 100k UR points. Most of our monthly spending is on that card, including our timeshare dues of ~$450 a month. I get 3x rewards on them. We both have Amex HHonors cards, and both spent $15,000 on them. We earned 4 free nights total, but we each pay a $95 AF. We signed up when there were a ton (don’t recalll the exact number) of Hhonors points, and I referred DH so I earned the bonus as well. When we take weekend trips, we stay at Hilton properties, so I do like having Gold status. I’ve been preselected for the Ascend version, but the AF is deterring me.

Last edited:
I think Amex only fixed part of the January 31st glitch. I have missing points from getting pay over time (10k) and a missing $10 dining statement credit.

It's funny...if this were Chase, I wouldn't care at all about going pending. But it's Citi...and my only "pending" experience with Citi was a denial due to inquiries so now I'm worried, lol!

My third app went pending. They wanted me to verify my address and where they should send the card to. I didn’t say the same place you sent my other two cards :rolleyes1

Tomorrow will be a week since I applied for the CIP :worried: While I was poking around on my chase account this morning I was playing with the credit score simulator and it got me thinking... what kind of hits can I expect to take by churning and how long do they last? According to their simulator, applying for new a new card and cancelling my oldest knocks me out of the “excellent” tier. But what does that actually mean long term?

Applied for the Barclay AA biz. Says they are gonna call me for additional info :scared1: This is the one thing I really dislike about Barclay. They like to do everything over the phone. Um, no thanks...please just text or email...

ETA: Email says they will let me know within 10 days. That seems like a bad sign.
When I applied for the JB Biz last year, I was initially denied because they said I already had "sufficient credit" with them (I had the arrival and personal JB). When I called, the rep was really nice and asked if I would be willing to move some of my personal credit to open the biz card. I had to give him some basic info and then he transferred me to another dept for a few more easy questions. Not too long after the call I got an approval email. Barclay is weird. I've had 3 cards and never been auto approved. I called multiple times to try to get a retention or downgrade on my JB plus and was always denied. I ended up closing it.

How do you all meet minimum spending requirements? Our mortgage is automatically deducted through our credit union. We do have a business, but it’s farming and there are major fees (sometimes 6%) for paying using credit cards. Many times you lose your early incentives as well. Last year we spent over $250,000 through the farm, but it’s all in checks.

I’ve gotten caught up in the spend a dollar to save a quarter mentality before, and I don’t want to go back down that route. We pay our cards off monthly. We just did a big house remodel, and don’t have many other “big” house expenses planned this year.

6% fee is way too high to be paying with a credit card.

Have you considered using Plastiq? Plastiq is a bill pay service that lets you use any credit card to make a payment towards a recipient (subject to some restrictions for Visa and Amex cards). You pay the amount due, Plastiq charges a fee of 2.5% of the payment amount, Plastiq sends a check or electronic payment (if supported) to your payee. Keep in mind that checks can take 7-10 business days to arrive. Plastiq is not intended to be a peer-to-peer payment service (for that there's PayPal and Venmo if your payees accept it). Plastiq's business is really intended for payments of bills and invoices, and it sounds like your business has a lot of these.

Plastiq's TOS:
For uses not supported by specific Payment Methods:
  1. For Visa cards, mortgage payments are not supported.
  2. For Payments to Recipients in the United States, the use of American Express cards is not supported beyond the following industries: Government, Utilities, Education, Residential Rent, and Club Fees & Memberships.

Note that under the above terms, you could be paying your mortgage with a Mastercard or Discover. You could be paying your business expenses with a Visa. You could be paying taxes and utilities with an Amex. (Amex introduced a Vendor Pay feature this week, which could work with your business expenses, but I haven't had a chance to read up on it.)

The hitch is Plastiq's 2.5% fee.

There really aren't any cards that earn a base rate greater than 2.5% to make these payments profitable on an ongoing basis. Take for example, the Chase Ink Unlimited ("CIU") or Chase Freedom Unlimited ("CFU") cards that earn 1.5x UR on every payment -- A $1,000 payment on Plastiq would incur a $25 fee, so your total transaction would be $1,025, on which you'd earn 1,537 UR points, which you can cash out for $15.37, transfer to Chase's airline and hotel partners, or redeem for travel using the Chase Sapphire Reserve's UR portal for an extra 50% bonus, worth $23.06. You're still not really breaking even. If you have a business, you can likely deduct the 2.5% fee as an expense, which may change the value proposition.

However, if you're using Plastiq to work on MSR, the math becomes much different. For example, if you sign up for the Chase Ink Preferred ("CIP") card, you'll need to spend $5k in 3 months to get the 80k UR signup bonus. You might be wondering, how are you supposed to meet that high of a minimum spending requirement?! Well, you have $250k of business expenses through your farm that you could shift onto the CIP's (and other cards') MSR by using Plastiq. If you use Plastiq to meet the entire $5k MSR, a 2.5% fee will cost you $125. The SUB on the CIP is 80k UR, which you can cash out for $800, transfer the points to airline and hotel partners, or is worth up to $1,200 towards travel when transferred to a CSR and redeemed through its UR travel portal. Even with the 2.5% fee on the entire MSR amount, you're netting $675 to $1,075+ in value from the SUB. [ETA: @miztressuz rightly added the CIP's $95 AF into her calculations. Other credit cards may not have an AF, have an introductory AF that's waived, or higher or lower AFs.]

I'm not suggesting you sign up for new credit cards to cover all of your $250k in business expenses annually, because you do need to consider your comfort level with signing up for how many cards and how the velocity of new card signups may be viewed by credit card issuers in approving you for more cards or lenders for credit and loans. But you do have $250k in expenses that you can redirect to meeting MSRs if you really need it at a comparatively low cost of 2.5%.

If you're planning to use Plastiq, please show some support by signing up through a DISchurners link. You'll get $500 fee free dollars ("FFDs") after you've made $500 or more in payments. That means the next time you use Plastiq, they'll waive their fees for $500 worth of payments (saving you $12.50).

Last edited:

I should add that I have 3 cards we primarily use, and that’s where I should be researching how to earn more bonuses. I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and got it and qualified when it was a bonus of 100k UR points. Most of our monthly spending is on that card, including our timeshare dues of ~$450 a month. I get 3x rewards on them. We both have Amex HHonors cards, and both spent $15,000 on them. We earned 4 free nights total, but we each pay a $95 AF. We signed up when there were a ton (don’t recalll the exact number) of Hhonors points, and I referred DH so I earned the bonus as well. When we take weekend trips, we stay at Hilton properties, so I do like having Gold status. I’ve been preselected for the Ascend version, but the AF is deterring me.

Are those DVC dues? Instead of paying monthly, can you pay a few months at one time? That should be enough to meet many spends and that is money you were obligated to anyway.

I think Amex only fixed part of the January 31st glitch. I have missing points from getting pay over time (10k) and a missing $10 dining statement credit.

If you dined on 1/31 itself, check to see if it posted as February. This happened to one of my $10 statements as the restaurant probably submitted it a day later.

We also have our mortgage automatically deducted and don’t touch that.......We pay our insurance, phone, internet, electric and oil bills all with credit cards....we also put our DVC dues on them, all dining, groceries, and gas
...I use my credit cards...then pay off the balance weekly

Tomorrow will be a week since I applied for the CIP :worried: While I was poking around on my chase account this morning I was playing with the credit score simulator and it got me thinking... what kind of hits can I expect to take by churning and how long do they last? According to their simulator, applying for new a new card and cancelling my oldest knocks me out of the “excellent” tier. But what does that actually mean long term?

Does your oldest account have an annual fee ? If it doesn’t keep it or see if it can be changed to a no fee card. We started opening new cards last May and our credit scores have pretty much stayed the same

Are you canceling your oldest card because it has an annual fee? Or because it has a large credit line you are not using?

I have a few older cards that I would never consider canceling because they keep my 'age of accounts' high. I can see considering cancelation if the fees are onerous.

In the last year or so I've applied for 7-8 cards. My credit score has varied by 4 points or so, not enough to cause worry. I have canceled 1 card in that period - South West card that I had for 3-4 years and no big dips. After each new card app I might see a small variation but overall my credit score has increased not decreased. That said, I carry no balances, and pay off well before the due dates.

You may hear some mention 'sock drawering' some cards. This is because they don't want to cancel right at the moment. Canceling is severing your ties with the company and may not be to your advantage. The credit card company will know when it doesn't want to give you a card.

A hard pull will drop my credit score by 2-5 points. A new account might knock my score down at most 10 points. However, my scores typically bounce back up in a month or two.

This is helped by the fact that although I have a new account reporting, that new account usually comes with a big new credit line, and I'm not spending any more than I would otherwise, so my % of utilization actually drops due to the increase in my available credit. Another factor is only new personal card accounts are reported to your personal credit reports, not business accounts. I'm very selective about which personal cards I sign up for because they add to my 5/24 count with Chase. In the past two years, I've signed up for only 5 personal credit cards, but I've signed up for 8 business cards that don't show up as new accounts on my personal credit reports. (I'm in 2-Player mode, so DW shares in signing up for new cards.) My AAoA is also still pretty high because while I don't sign up for too many personal cards, I try also not to cancel cards if there's a no fee option that I can product change to or if the AF can be justified. Moreover, if I put a bulk of my expenses onto my business cards, % of utilization on my personal cards goes down even more because the utilization that is now on my business cards does not show on my personal credit reports.

Because I've shifted my spending patterns to put spend across my Amex cards (personal and business) to keep on Amex's good side, my reported utilization is higher than what it was a year ago when a lot of our expenses went on the CIP when it still coded 3x on Plastiq, and when my credit score was in the 830-840 range. My credit score currently fluctuates between about 815-825.

Last edited:
Are those DVC dues? Instead of paying monthly, can you pay a few months at one time? That should be enough to meet many spends and that is money you were obligated to anyway.

I was just taking to dH about this today. They’re Wyndham dues, but we’re in the market for a new truck in the next two years and have 5% back on our GM Card that will “expire” at the end of this month. I was considering call and paying $5000 towards the maintenance fees.

Having a bit of FOMO with all the AA miles talk. I was thinking in jumping in to collect miles to fly bussiness to Brazil but now I am thinking maybe we can get a “last minute” (my Disney trips are usually planed at least 1 year ahead) for the Summer as I see a lot of Disney hotel available.
For the dates I have plug in both Bay lake tower and Comtemporary is one better than the other?

Bay Lake are DVC villas with a queen bed and a sofa sleeper. Great for a couple or maybe with small kids. I love these rooms but I'm often alone in one. The BLT studios are some of DVC's smaller rooms - not as large as BCV or BWV.

Contemporary rooms will be much larger and more hotel like. They will have either a king or two queens in the room.

Either room may have a balcony and the view can vary from looking at the Castle to looking at the lake. I personally prefer the lake view as I've seen the castle and fireworks so often I prefer the serenity of looking at the water.

We also have our mortgage automatically deducted and don’t touch that.......We pay our insurance, phone, internet, electric and oil bills all with credit cards....we also put our DVC dues on them, all dining, groceries, and gas
...I use my credit cards...then pay off the balance weekly

I wish I could pay my insurance with my credit cards. It’s close to $10,000 a year. It’s through Country Companies and is automatically withdrawn. I need to see if paying with cc is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter