I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the cost of DGC on Sams site? I have the AMEX off of $25 off $45 membership and wondering if worth it to sign up

$47.98/$50 (4% off)
$71.98/$75 (4% off)
$144.98/$150 (3.3% off)
$484.98/$500 (3% off)

Honestly, I think this is a better deal than the Amex Offer:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/grou...lub-membership-get-30-35-sams-club-giftcards/You can even use the Sam’s GCs that come with this offer towards discounted DGCs.

You can go through a shopping portal for additional cash, points or miles back on your Groupon purchase. You can also buy a Groupon GC at a discount or using a credit card that gives you a nice >1x spending bonus, and use the Groupon GC to pay for the Sam’s membership.

I generally don't eat at chain restaurants (I rarely go out to eat, and have a long list of local places I like), so my Amex offers for restaurants often go unused. Traveling for work tomorrow and was checking out options near my hotel. Its relatively close to a mall, so I can choose between California Pizza Kitchen, PF Changs or the Cheesecake Factory - all of which I have offers for!

Hi all! I have been reading and absorbing as much info as I can on this forum for a few weeks and have learned a lot! This has been so helpful! Also realized a couple of mistakes I made just before I found you all - live and learn! My head is spinning with all of this and I'm still unsure of how to move forward from what I've done so far. So, a little about me:

I've been fairly successful in the past using Amex BCP, maxing out the $6k/year grocery 6% cash back and getting a $450-$600 cash reward each year through Citi Costco & Exec membership rebate. This year I decided to try Chase United Mileage Explorer, got the $250 SUB and miles for one free ticket for our February Disney trip; didn't occur to me to have DW apply separately so missed that boat. She has been removed as AU on mine and I plan to have her apply for a card of her own later. We each also just got the Chase Disney Preferred with the $200 SUB (minus $49 AF), but don't have much use for those other than possibly financing the balance of our trip at 0% for 6 mo.

I have delved into the cash back rebate sites and Raise.com. Managed to score a $500 DGC for $470 during last weekend's sale with my extra $10 off.

At this point, I'm not sure how much more I can do to save $$ on our Feb trip; the Costco and Amex cash back will pay for some of it (we'll bank the Costco $$ and use the Amex on the trip for dining & earn the 3% then apply the past few month's accumulated rewards as a statement credit when we return). I'm thinking we'll use the available $150 credit on each Chase Disney for DGC for souvenirs, etc. Then I have to weigh financing the balance vs purchasing the DGC from BJs at the 6% BF deal and pulling the $$ from savings.... so much to think about :-O

We are not huge travelers, but would like to do some more, but also need to be more cautious with the budget now. In 2020, my first priority will be saving $$, then maybe banking some cash/points/miles for a 2021 trip (Disney Alaskan Cruise??).

Here's our stats:
Me:
02/19 Catherine's - Comenity Bank
08/19 Chase United MPE
10/19 Chase Disney Premier

P2:
08/19 AU on Chase United - removed 11/19
10/19 Chase Disney Premier

-MONTHLY SPEND:
Gas $60
Groc $900
Cell $80
Internet/landline $100
Dining/Ent $300
Pet food/supplies $250
Other $2300

-CC's are paid off every month
-DEN airport
-No preference, but have started with United
-SW does service DEN, but not our fav
-No Hotel rewards pref
-No travel points
-M + DW

Thanks for any input!!
Oh, totally forgot about a Barclay Apple card I opened in April 2018 and closed early this year. That's it though.
@SouthFayetteFan Thanks! That was my next question :-) I’ve been in ‘research’ mode and haven’t commented on anything until today. I’d like to join the group and would be happy to lend some support!
@tink1970 Thank you! That is so helpful. In spite of all the reading I’ve been doing, I haven’t quite gotten the gist of the travel cards and how rewards work. I didn’t realize you could get cash back on those as well. I looked at the rotating category cards, but wouldn’t get much out of most categories. I think I do better with the Amex 6% on groceries even with the AF. Lots to think about!

Welcome to the thread! @tink1970 gave you lots of great info. It can be overwhelming, but getting free vacations is so gratifying. Your monthly snapshot is similar to mine, as well as DEN being my home airport too.

If you've really laid out all your cards, so to speak, you are sitting right at 4/24 (because the Barclay card you closed still counts as a new account in the past 24 months) and the next move you make will affect what you can do for the next 6 months to a year or more. If you go with a personal card application now with any financial institution, be aware that shuts you out of getting any more Chase cards for you until Apr-May 2020 because of their 5/24 rule (24 months from your Barclay 4/18 card that you opened). When was the Citi Costco opened?

If you max out your BCP with the 6K annual cap on groceries, you're netting $265 after the annual fee. The SUB for the CSP is worth $600 cash for $4K spend, or $505 after subtracting the annual fee. That's a $240 difference in cash. For spending $4K instead of $6K. The strategy for CSP that @tink1970 laid out is very compelling.

Something that may have not struck you in your research is that business cards do not show up on your credit report (with some exceptions) so if there is any business you have (it's craigslist/ebay sales for me) then you can apply for business credit cards. You don't need to make a lot from it for it to count as a business. There are some great Chase business cards, and the funny thing with Chase is that even though it issues the business credit cards and obviously knows about them, those cards do not get counted in your 5/24 status. However you need to be at <5/24 in order to nab a Chase business card.

Which brings me to my final point I want to share - Southwest cards, issued by Chase in both personal and business versions. We are very fortunate that DEN is a SW hub. Southwest has the Companion Pass program, which is one of the best travel deals out there, where your companion flies for free with you. For the past five years, my family has flown on SW around the country for $5.60 taxes/fees one way per ticket (next week we're flying SW to Costa Rica for $84.54 total for 3 travelers), using SW Rapid Rewards points (transferrable from Chase UR, just like you can transfer to United). Timing wise, you could get a business SW card now, wait until Jan to finish up the MSR (not technically necessary to wait til Jan, but I want to make it easy for you to remember) and then get a different SW card early next year to set you up for a Companion Pass for the rest of 2020 and all of 2021. But you need to decide first if you have a business, even a "business." Please ask here for advice before you decide to go apply for one.

I see you say that SW is not your fav. I'll just point out that with using SW points to travel, you can make changes to your plans without penalty whereas United will charge you upwards of $125 per ticket to change award tickets. And the first two checked bags are free with SW (not because of the credit card, it's just because that's how SW rolls); they'll cost you $40 for your 2nd bag with United (since your first bag is free using your United MPE card to purchase the tickets).

It is a lot to take in, it's great that you are trying to learn more about the best ways to maximize your rewards.

Do you have Verizon? They’re offering a free year to wireless customers.

Our cell service is with AT&T

also you don’t need a whole new tv unless you want one lol. A roku or amazon firestick will let you stream for less than 20 bucks.

Hmm, this may be possible. I did some checking and it seems like our dinosaur of a tv (left by the previous homeowners!) may have an HDMI port. Guess it's worth a shot!

Quoting myself here for more info. I called Chase today and they said they call all disputes "billing errors" and that since Sears said they would exchange it (Very unlikely as there is no stock even) they will not change their decision. They said I need to work it out with Sears or mail the dispute in again for another review. So I did a chat with Sears tonight and they are giving me the run around on all three parts of my claim, at least I have that chat now to send Chase again. They told me to contact the delivery team, but they only have a phone number so I need to call tomorrow. He also gave me their corp CS email to contact too. What a PITA. LOL.

Quoting myself again... Hey! It's a good drama! :rotfl2:So I followed up with a call to their delivery team on Saturday as directed, they didn't know how to handle it and transferred me back to sales, who wanted to transfer me to the delivery team but said since they just keep sending me back he would call and get the details. Back and forth over an hour he said the only option is for them to just refund the transaction, but they cannot do it the delivery team has to, but the delivery team cannot since the order is too old. He said he was going to write up an exception request and see if he could go that route but needed more information, after about 10m more on hold I was hung up on. This made me really mad as now I didn't know where I was transferred to and he had all my information and could have called me back!!! So I figured I would give it a day or two like he said to hear their response via email... Today I got an email saying the transaction is way to old for them to do anything about and asked me to "kindly contact my bank and kindly dispute the transaction." Full 360 here we go! This time I at least have an email from Sears telling me to dispute it, Why do I have the sinking feeling even with that Chase will not side with me?!!?:confused3

What is the best price available for Disney+? I wish I had jumped on the D23 deal -- dd says all of her friends have this and I want it too. I will have to get a new television for the den so that I can watch it, but I see a nice 4K Samsung unit on sale at BJ's that has great reviews. Also have to factor in an installer because there's no way I would attempt to remove the one we have and install a new one!

FYI, it's actually super easy to install. I have a crazy corner mount and I was able to do it mostly myself!

$47.98/$50 (4% off)
$71.98/$75 (4% off)
$144.98/$150 (3.3% off)
$484.98/$500 (3% off)

Honestly, I think this is a better deal than the Amex Offer:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/grou...lub-membership-get-30-35-sams-club-giftcards/You can even use the Sam’s GCs that come with this offer towards discounted DGCs.

You can go through a shopping portal for additional cash, points or miles back on your Groupon purchase. You can also buy a Groupon GC at a discount or using a credit card that gives you a nice >1x spending bonus, and use the Groupon GC to pay for the Sam’s membership.

Thanks! I’m assuming this deal works for online purchases only? I don’t have a Sams near me

Thanks! I’m assuming this deal works for online purchases only? I don’t have a Sams near me

Yes. My Sam’s membership is from one of these Groupon deals and I use it for online only and really just for discounted gift cards, as I also don’t have a Sam’s nearby. My wife and I take turns every other year signing up for a “new” membership using the Groupon deal.

Hmm, this may be possible. I did some checking and it seems like our dinosaur of a tv (left by the previous homeowners!) may have an HDMI port. Guess it's worth a shot!
I have a fairly old TV (2 actually) and bought a Roku Ultra last Black Friday for $50. Then later picked up a Roku Express. I was able to install both myself no problems. Disney+ works great.

It could be open by then but it was supposed to already be open by now so I just don’t know. We’ve not heard anything more than it’s now supposed to open in 2020.
I guess I'll see what DH thinks this evening and sadly watch my UR balance decline. But the seats are going for $6000-7000 so it's all good and we'll get some sleep on our way back.

I didn’t know that! Would the kids, without the guaranteed seat tag, be able to join us or are the CM’s ‘policing’ who can go down a row?

I don't know for certain but based on my experience, the CMs are not policing the rows. The guarantee is actually not for any particular seat but only a guarantee that you will be admitted while there are seats left, so long as you show up by the designated time. Once you enter, you can sit where ever you want, except perhaps in the very front--we have always ended up more or less in the middle so it's possible that the CMs are policing the front rows. But near show time, people are squeezing in where they can (at least in the middle section).

FYI, it's actually super easy to install. I have a crazy corner mount and I was able to do it mostly myself!
I spent some valuable work time researching how to install and it seems like it will be easy. There is an HDMI port (hope it's working) and a power outlet close by. I will just have to figure out which button on the Hotwire remote accesses the HDMI port and we should be good! I ordered the Firestick and it will be here tomorrow!

You could sign up for new Verizon Fios Home Internet service, and that comes with a free year of Disney+.

Otherwise, I think you’ll just have to do the free 7 day trial, then sign up for the full year at $69.99 ($5.83/month).
Internet and cable are included with our HOA. I guess I'll have to pay the $70.00 / year, which doesn't seem bad considering what we are getting.

We're going 2 weeks before you. Also on the Ovation. 😁

Did you make the points advance reservation before they went to this off/standard/peak chart? That locks you in (somewhat). Since I did this recently, there's a disclaimer now that points may change until you've applied the points. Think I'm going to use the free nights for a long weekend nearby instead. For the Seattle stay, looking at the Hyatts now with UR transferred over. The Hyatt Olive 8 looks nice. A little further from Pike Market than the Sheraton though. Was thinking Hilton free nights until I remembered weekends only!

Yes I booked before the disclaimer change. I just need to stop being lazy and call and try and at least get the points difference. This trip is a big extended family trip and my mom booked her room there too, so I would feel bad if I moved now. The good thing is I shouldn't get dinged by AMEX b/c I've been putting a lot of my spend on that card to work on getting enough points to cover the 2nd night without paying cash. If push comes to shove I'll just buy points to cover the difference, which is still better than paying the full cash price.

I'm super excited for this trip and can't wait to hear how yours goes.

I generally don't eat at chain restaurants (I rarely go out to eat, and have a long list of local places I like), so my Amex offers for restaurants often go unused. Traveling for work tomorrow and was checking out options near my hotel. Its relatively close to a mall, so I can choose between California Pizza Kitchen, PF Changs or the Cheesecake Factory - all of which I have offers for!
You know my pick!

Recent Discussion on Chase 5/24 bypass methods and why we will NOT be condoning a discussion of that here...
For those of you that frequent r/churning, you may have noticed a lot of discussion around manipulating URLs to gain access to targeted Chase offers yesterday. Today, that was taken one step further with an official top level post and a google doc listing various SPIDs and manipulated links.

Here are my (scattered) thoughts:
  • Manipulated links to gain access to offers you are not targeted for is a very big gray area in the churning world.
  • If you are under 5/24 I would unequivocally and unreservedly recommend you to steer clear of these links! It is not worth the risk for anybody under 5/24 (and would actually only make "sense" in VERY limited situations).
  • If you are over 5/24 you are welcome to join in the discussion on r/churning and proceed at your own risk. If you've managed to navigate churning and get to be over 5/24 I trust that you are smart enough to figure out your own risk tolerances without asking for help from this community.
  • I cannot say what I would do if I were over 5/24 and these links presented themselves to me. It is virtually impossible for me to put myself in those shoes after spending years to get back to where I am now (under 5/24).
  • I do not think it would be in our best interest to discuss these links here here. We have numerous lurkers and folks who are newer to the game who might not fully understand the risks of jeopardizing your relationship with the "golden goose" issuer over a manipulated link. I would hate for us to post those links in our group and have somebody get shut down by Chase before they even were able to get started churning.
  • I will again reiterate that if you are under 5/24 there is pretty much NOTHING work looking at here. Would you jeopardize your entire Chase relationship over 10k extra URs??? I certainly would not. If you are over 5/24 feel free to head over to r/churning to see what the buzz is all about.
  • If you are wondering what the risks might be, I'd say they'd include all of these: Warning letter from Chase, Shutdown and denial of bonus on any cards applied for using a manipulated link, Shutdown of all cards by Chase, Clawback of any points earned using this method, etc. It's also possible that nothing will happen...
So in summary, I would kindly ask that our community not discuss these "hacked" links openly. I am not judging anybody who chooses to proceed with an application though (as long as you've taken the time and care to decide if it's worth the risk for you). Rather, I am simply asking that we use discretion in our words in light of the hundreds of new churners who frequent our thread each day.

If you REALLY feel the need to discuss this, perhaps the "Advanced Strategies" Thread on DISchurners would make the most sense. I have created a top-level discussion starter in that thread HERE for purposes of any discussion.

EDIT: I was really hesitating to post anything about this but I figure eventually somebody would say something about it so I wanted the first message to be very clear of our community's position on what to do with this knowledge. If anybody disagrees with this approach, I welcome your feedback in a PM and will consider any alternate viewpoints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter