I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Built in 1991 but we bought it from a builder 9 years ago. He fortified it against hurricanes (even the front and garage doors). All patio doors also have hurricane locks and 90% of the windows are hurricane windows and the few that aren't have sliding shutters. But yeah, definitely older.
Ours was built in 2014. The front windows and garage door are hurricane ones. The other windows around our house we have to put up shutters that are in our garage. I think we might just go ahead and put them up tomorrow so it’s done. We have one for our back sliding glass door too.

Do you have a generator? Dh is trying to decide if he should run ours through a window or a door. Apparently people at work told him to go through a window

I just spent 2 weeks traveling through Italy with my DS 16, DSIL 18, and DMIL. I used my arrival + to erase cheap flights to Paris, URs for short/cheap flights to Italy and a free night at hotels .com for our last night in Paris. The rest of the time we stayed in the most magical air bnbs paid for with cash. As I was working on my scrapbook I started thinking about all the time I had spent into planning this trip and then I kept hearing everyone say “I can’t believe we just keep running into these beautiful places” not knowing that I was navigating us the entire time. I usually like to plan more time to just wander the streets without a destination, but with this travel party it just wasn’t a good idea. I figure most people on this board are planners like me so I thought I would ask - do you feel like being the person who does all of the planning takes away some of the magic of discovery on vacation and what do you do to help that not happen? The planning is a big part of what I enjoy about vacations so I would never want to let that go, but I’m wondering if I sometimes do too much research which leaves me without that element of surprise.

Ok at least I got that part right!

Off to do some preliminary research and see how much hotels are gonna set us back... yikes. Good thing I'm a BASIC girl at heart so I will be checking the values... that's right, isn't it? Value=least expensive?
Pop Century is the nicest of the values. It's been recently refurbed. I would not rule out the moderates sometimes you can get good rates there. The Hyatt regency for 12k points is super nice. You get free bike rentals and water crafts. You would need to Lyft or Uber everywhere though.

Thanks for the info! So, if you buy the insurance for $44 pp and had to cancel, you'd get everything else back as a travel voucher?

I'm trying to figure out if I can book one flight and only one room x2. We need two rooms so I'd have to call Disney wholesale to add the other people and then we'd all fly SW instead. I'm not sure how that would work though if we didn't take the flight or if we could just cancel the flights but keep the rooms...? Delta doesn't have good options from Denver so not sure we want to commit to flying them.

If you buy the insurance, you can get everything back in a voucher.

It looks like you would have to book flights for 2 people and then put 1 person in each room.

Applied and approved for the Amex Bonvoy biz card tonight. No pop up. I don’t have anything Bonvoy yet, so I figured I’d try this if I couldn’t go for any of the Hiltons right now.

I tried for the Aspire again this morning but still got a pop up. I may have P2 try for the Aspire later in the year. I’m going to wait until this month’s payment for my Arrival+ is posted before I go for a Barclay AA biz card. Maybe in a few weeks. I’m a little nervous about that one.
I debated between the Bonvoy Biz and the Hilton Biz. I decided on the Marriot. It fit better into my current plans. I'm hoping down the road there's another offer good Hilton Biz offer and I don't get the pop-up.

I have nothing good to say about the Barclay Biz at this point. They put another 7-day hold on my payment. In all my years of having credit cards, I've never experienced anything like this. I remember 20 years ago Wells Fargo putting a hold on a 75k check from our home sale, but a 500 dollar credit car payment? Seriously.

I'm thinking about applying for CIP#2s for both DH and I. I was going to cross refer, but I'm a little worried about the "pending" for both of us. We each have 2 chase business cards. I have CIP#1 and CI+; DH has CIP#1 and a Southwest business. We are both fine for x/24. I receive mailers constantly for the CIP 80k deal, and I do have one that has an invitation number and offer code.

Can anyone refresh my recollection on whether that offer code is a pre-approval? I'd be likely to give up the referral points for DH if it gets me past the stupid "pending."

Anything else we should know about applying for CIP#2?

We have a big furniture purchase coming up, and I really want new cards for us. DH got the dreaded pop up for the 100k Schwab Amex Platinum, and I wasn't eligible :( If anyone knows how to pull the Amex personal 100k that would be another option for me.

Crap, the new forecast pushed it south nearer to us and upped the wind speed.

I just spent 2 weeks traveling through Italy with my DS 16, DSIL 18, and DMIL. I used my arrival + to erase cheap flights to Paris, URs for short/cheap flights to Italy and a free night at hotels .com for our last night in Paris. The rest of the time we stayed in the most magical air bnbs paid for with cash. As I was working on my scrapbook I started thinking about all the time I had spent into planning this trip and then I kept hearing everyone say “I can’t believe we just keep running into these beautiful places” not knowing that I was navigating us the entire time. I usually like to plan more time to just wander the streets without a destination, but with this travel party it just wasn’t a good idea. I figure most people on this board are planners like me so I thought I would ask - do you feel like being the person who does all of the planning takes away some of the magic of discovery on vacation and what do you do to help that not happen? The planning is a big part of what I enjoy about vacations so I would never want to let that go, but I’m wondering if I sometimes do too much research which leaves me without that element of surprise.
I planned our entire trip to Germany for my husband and kids (16, 15, 14, and 7). I feel a lot of pressure to keep them interested all the time so, in retrospect, I regret that we had very little relaxed time. It was a little overwhelming researching where, when, what for every place although I do love to do it. But, yes, I sometimes felt that I was so concerned about whether they were enjoying it that I didn’t enjoy it enough for myself.

I love the planning. I think if someone surprised me with a completely planned trip, I'd freak out at first. My DH on the other hand, does no planning whatsoever. Sometimes he doesn't even know what country we're going to, lol. Not that I don't tell him, he just forgets.

I have wondered what it feels like to be him though. We've been to some amazing places. No expectations. Just seeing it in the moment.

But I'm okay with missing some of the magic of discovery. Too much of a control freak when it comes to travel to give it up, lol. As much research as you can do, pictures, even videos, it's never the same as actually being there.

If you buy the insurance, you can get everything back in a voucher.

It looks like you would have to book flights for 2 people and then put 1 person in each room.
Yes, sorry, I meant two flights and one person in each room! It'd be great if I could get away with only one flight lol!

Ours was built in 2014. The front windows and garage door are hurricane ones. The other windows around our house we have to put up shutters that are in our garage. I think we might just go ahead and put them up tomorrow so it’s done. We have one for our back sliding glass door too.

Do you have a generator? Dh is trying to decide if he should run ours through a window or a door. Apparently people at work told him to go through a window

Full house generator on an auto switch (it comes on automatically if our power goes out). It's mid to late life, but we have a maintenance contract and they come service it every 6 months.

I have a few neighbors that are staying; the one across the street said he'd come check on dd and I if we stayed and we were welcome to come over to their house (we've known them for 9 years and our dogs are friends) and one good friend and his family around the corner that we know from back home. And friends (both physicians should the need for one arise) a few doors up. We *may* stay -- will depend on forecast tomorrow morning.

For now the forecast for Boca doesn't look good and they are saying little chance we'll avoid a hit but I have hope. Positive news for you guys is that by the time Dorian hits you she'll only be a category 1. We're looking at a category 4 when she makes landfall based on the current track. Of course so much can change in the next 72 hours, so fingers crossed.

Watching tv :) M's won, now it's BH 90210 the hot mess. I keep hoping it'll get better and I'll still watch it cause it's 90210 but I think 1 and done is enough. The Will & Grace reboot, while unnecessary was really good and I'm hoping with this final season will go out on a high note.
I’m just watching the weather channel. Hurricanes fascinate me - don’t get me wrong, I’m totally hoping it veers north and dissipates tomorrow (I know that isn’t realistic). But I’m general I’m interested in the coverage and what ends up happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter