I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. Definitely appreciate your expert advice. I've been working on my Chase spend esp with the 5x's and CIC. But I guess what could be tempting about this card is to transfer the mr to JetBlue.
So I should bring up it's speculated that you'll be less likely to be targeted for the 100k Platinum offer if you already have AmEx cards (and I think more likely having MR cards). I don't have the steel trap spreadsheet like some here, but I think you have more UR cards and don't recall if you ever pulled the trigger on a MR card. Since AmEx is the 'lifetime' bonus getting the highest one you can for each card is a consideration. Since this is the highest we've seen for the BBP, that's good; but if you had your eye the Platicorn this may affect that.
JetBlue transfers at 250MR:200JB so 20k sign up would get you 16k JetBlue. UR is 1:1 correct? So a comparable spend card like the CIC or CIU would get you 50k points for the same 3k.
I probably just made that easier or harder to decide :laughing: I guess I should have prefaced that earlier with - Since I already have a MR card and not looking for a Platinum any time soon and I'm laying off Chase for a bit, I'd probably try for it since it's the best offer (20k/3k) we've seen. It wouldn't be a bad break from Chase as you'd have to spend $3,200 on a 5x UR card for the same 16k JetBlue points transfer, so you'd be a bit ahead if you're between Chase apps.

No they don’t need their own account. My employee cards don’t even show up on an account. I can only see the main cardholder’s account, if that makes sense
Replying again because I activated the primary card and it was super simple. The website let me activate all the cards at same time. I was totally overthinking/overcomplicating it based on reading the sheet it was attached to 😂 I am ready for all future employee cards HAHA

I'm having a bit of an internal debate right now. So I've been dealt the unfortunate card of having my birthday the day after Halloween. I was wanting to do a weekend trip to WDW, but there are basically no hotels left. I did find a room at both the Swan and the Dolphin. On one hand, I feel like I need to book it right away because they'll be gone and there won't be any hotels left. On the other hand, Dh's CSR travel credit should reset on August 22 and I would like to use it on this. What do you guys think?

Here we are again. One week later and I’m finally ready to apply. I woke up this morning rethinking my plan (of course). I’m going to hash it out here to gather my thoughts before I apply.

For the record, I just got under 5/24. I don’t churn, instead I use all of my cards depending on the categories/offers. Due to this, my goals are maximum benefit in different categories for the spend I already make.

Scenario 1 - Apply for the CIP
If approved, I’d be able to get 80,000 points for $5,000 spend in 3 months. Earns 3x on travel, Internet, cable and phone services. The con is the $95 fee, because I already have the CSP with the same fee. I don’t really have much travel spend. The $95 fee is justified because it allows me to transfer my points to SW, getting us flights for just the security fee. I don’t want to close the CSP (only because I don’t close cards), but I could PC it to a second CF. This would save the extra $95 fee, but wouldn’t really be a benefit because I rarely max out the 5% categories. Short term benefit: 80,000 points. Long term benefit: 3x on Internet, cable & phone.

Scenario 2 - Apply for the CIC
If approved, I’d be able to get 50,000 points for $3,000 spend in 3 months. Earns 5% on office supply stores, Internet, cable and phone services. No AF. The con is 30,000 less points. Short term benefit: Less spend in the first 3 months? Long term benefit: 5% on office supply stores, Internet, cable and phone services.

The 30,000 less points is the tricky part. It would be very difficult to make that up in the 5% CIC category. On the other hand, the CIP wouldn’t provide me with any long term benefits other than the 3x on Internet cable & phone. I keep asking myself, is the 30,000 points worth PCing the CSP, and then waiting 30 days to try to get the CIC afterwards for the better category spend? I also want to apply for the Costco Visa in the near future. We shop regularly there. With that card I could be earning 4% on gas and 2% on our Costco trips...

Decisions decisions :scratchin

ETA: I already have the CSP, CF, CFU, and DV with Chase.

Last edited:
Here we are again. One week later and I’m finally ready to apply. I woke up this morning rethinking my plan (of course). I’m going to hash it out here to gather my thoughts before I apply.

For the record, I just got under 5/24. I don’t churn, instead I use all of my cards depending on the categories/offers. Due to this, my goals are maximum benefit in different categories for the spend I already make.

If approved, I’d be able to get 80,000 points for $5,000 spend in 3 months. Earns 3x on travel, Internet, cable and phone services. The con is the $95 fee, because I already have the CSP with the same fee. I don’t really have much travel spend. The $95 fee is justified because it allows me to transfer my points to SW, getting us flights for just the security fee. I don’t want to close the CSP (only because I don’t close cards), but I could PC it to a second CF. This would save the extra $95 fee, but wouldn’t really be a benefit because I rarely max out the 5% categories. Short term benefit: 80,000 points. Long term benefit: 3x on Internet, cable & phone.

If approved, I’d be able to get 50,000 points for $3,000 spend in 3 months. Earns 5% on office supply stores, Internet, cable and phone services. No AF. The con is 30,000 less points. Short term benefit: Less spend in the first 3 months? Long term benefit: 5% on office supply stores, Internet, cable and phone services.

The 30,000 less points is the tricky part. It would be very difficult to make that up in the 5% CIC category. On the other hand, the CIP wouldn’t provide me with any long term benefits other than the 3x on Internet cable & phone. I keep asking myself, is the 30,000 points worth PCing the CSP, and then waiting 30 days to try to get the CIC afterwards for the better category spend? I also want to apply for the Costco Visa in the near future. We shop regularly there. With that card I could be earning 4% on gas and 2% on our Costco trips...

I would go for the CIP 80k points over the CIC...50k

To me the 30,000 points are worth $300 since you could cash them out....so if you get the CIP...you could cash out 9,500 points to pay the $95 AF and still be ahead $205 or 20,500 points

You could also PC the CSP to a CFU...for 1.5x on everything not falling into any higher categories

Last edited:
I would go for the CIP 80k points over the CIC...50k

To me the 30,000 points are worth $300 since you could cash them out....so if you get the CIP...you could cash out 95,000 points to pay the $95 AF and still be ahead $205 or 20,050 points

You could also PC the CSP to a CFU...for 1.5x on everything not falling into any higher categories
Good point. That would be 9,500 points though, right?

I do have the CFU already. I should’ve mentioned that in my post. The Chase cards I already have are:
CSP (for transferring to SW)
CF (for 5% categories)
CFU (for misc spend that doesn’t do better on other cards)
DV (for Disney perks)

I do have the CFU already. I should’ve mentioned that in my post. The Chase cards I already have are:
CF (for 5% categories)
DV (for Disney perks)

Ugh yes...mistyped...sorry will go change:faint:

We are in the process of applying for a private school for DS (nothing like waiting until three weeks before school starts but sometimes that's just the way things happen!) Thankfully DS wouldn't have to wear a uniform if he is accepted and we can persuade him to attend. He can't wear Nike basketball shorts which he lives in or Nike dri-fit tees with team logos, but he can wear regular shorts/jeans/kahkis and tees as long as they only have the small swoosh. I think I'm focusing on the little things so I don't stress out over the tuition:)
Yes, paying the tuition is no fun. I try to look at the bright side that I am earning free travel since our travel budget will be a lot smaller with tuition payments and the extras to pay.

Nice that he can still wear "street" clothes. This part is a huge adjustment for my DS who lives in his UA shorts, tees and sweats.

My DS is having a lot of anxiety about his new school. It is getting so close to the start, he doesn't know anyone there and he really doesn't want to leave his current school friends. He knows he will make new friends but he feels like he finally fit in and had found his group. So there have been quite a few tears shed this week as he shares his feeling with me. Now to hope we made the right decision.

CF (for 5% categories)
DV (for Disney perks)
You could always get the CIC in 3 months or later PC you CIP to CIC and then purchase the VGC or MCGCs at Staples when they run them fee free to use at Costco. Then you will have gotten 5x UR instead of 2% at Costco.

You could always get the CIC in 3 months or later PC you CIP to CIC and then purchase the VGC or MCGCs at Staples when they run them fee free to use at Costco. Then you will have gotten 5x UR instead of 2% at Costco.
I was just going to ask if it was possible to PC the CIP to a CIC, so thank you! How long do you usually have to wait for that? 1 year?

I was just going to ask if it was possible to PC the CIP to a CIC, so thank you! How long do you usually have to wait for that? 1 year?
Typical advice would be a year but the business cards do not have the same restrictions on PCing as the personal with the 1 year waiting period. As I found out when I pc'ed my CIU to CIP when I had had it for 6 months so I could refer DH for CIP2.

If you can make the 5k in spend for the CIP I would still do that. As @palhockeymomof2 said you can always use some of the points to cover the AF of the CIP and still be ahead by 20k UR. If you did the CIC now instead, you'd have to spend 3k on MSR and another 4k on the 5x category to earn the same amount of points.

You don't have to keep the CIP long term, you could cancel it after a year and apply for the CIC, or just PC it to the CIC (if you end up over 5/24 again).

How much do you realistically expect to spend in the bonus categories over the next 6-12 months? Add that to the sign up bonuses and see where each fall.

I'm having a bit of an internal debate right now. So I've been dealt the unfortunate card of having my birthday the day after Halloween. I was wanting to do a weekend trip to WDW, but there are basically no hotels left. I did find a room at both the Swan and the Dolphin. On one hand, I feel like I need to book it right away because they'll be gone and there won't be any hotels left. On the other hand, Dh's CSR travel credit should reset on August 22 and I would like to use it on this. What do you guys think?

Can you book a refundable rate? Then if there is still availability when his credit resets, book with that and cancel the original booking?

Yes, paying the tuition is no fun. I try to look at the bright side that I am earning free travel since our travel budget will be a lot smaller with tuition payments and the extras to pay.

Nice that he can still wear "street" clothes. This part is a huge adjustment for my DS who lives in his UA shorts, tees and sweats.

My DS is having a lot of anxiety about his new school. It is getting so close to the start, he doesn't know anyone there and he really doesn't want to leave his current school friends. He knows he will make new friends but he feels like he finally fit in and had found his group. So there have been quite a few tears shed this week as he shares his feeling with me. Now to hope we made the right decision.
Yes, between tuition ($31,000/year although my ex is paying part) and quarterly tax payments I have a lot of ways to spend right now:)

It's hard at this age. I'm sure your DS will adjust. And it's great that he's sharing his feelings. My son is somewhat resistant but I'm fairly certain the outcome at our top-rated public high school will not be good because of some things my DS struggles with. But this school is small--only 200 kids total and 30 in his grade and that is making him super anxious. And yes, glad he can still wear tees and has options for bottoms even if he can't wear his Nike basketball shorts!

Hi all, back from WDW late Tuesday and worked 13 hours yesterday, so I am about 100 pages behind LOL, I will not be catching up.
Just saying hi!
Closing DH Amex BGR. This won't help getting him out of pop up jail LOL.
Got my 15k miles from Amex Delta for referring DD to the Blue. Took over a week, I was getting nervous that I would have to talk to them...again.
Was able to book Oga's Cantina and both building experiences for our trip at the end of Sept. Not sure anyone wants to build, going to check with my son. I will cancel if they don't want to, but wanted to have them just in case. I am very happy they are doing reservation systems for all of that though, then we can just enjoy the land at 6 am and not stand in line all morning for a morning cocktail LOL.

When is your CSP fee due? I think I would PC it down because you can still transfer with the CIP. Reevaluate when your CIP is a year old, will you close that? There is nothing wrong with closing some cards so don't let that scare you away. I would say close CIP after a year then you can PC your old CF back up to a CSP, so then you still have one CF and one CSP if that is what you want. But get those 80,000 points first!

@Livelovedance I agree with the information you have received above. CIP is the most lucrative for the sign up bonus despite poor ongoing spend categories. If the only reason you have a CSP is to continue transfers of UR, CIP will give you the same option and also is the same 1.25 rate for travel. If you use CSP for the primary car rental, CIP also has primary car rental but with a statement that it needs to be used for "business" travel, so I don't use that card for the car rental insurance. If you downgrade your CSP to another CF and find you need the a CSP you could upgrade your other CF (as long as it has been at least 1 year since you opened it).

With your 4/24 status, I would make your next move after the CIP carefully, so you don't block out chase for too long just in case a great offer comes along. I know you want a citi-costco card but if max'ing out with ongoing spend is the main goal-considering discover cash back 5% rotating categories, and first year match would be 2% on all spend and up to 10% on the rotating categories for the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter