I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Livelovedance the CIC is nice because it also gets 2% back at gas stations. If you have an office supply gift store that is convenient it is good for gift cards. I use it not just for Disney but for places like Amazon, Jiffy Lube, Petco. It also has the 0% APR if you had to float the money. The CIP is nice pretty much for the extra points but honestly it is kind of a crap card. But extra points are always nice...just some more to think about. Maybe just get one and then go for the other in 3 months?

So sorry for your loss alryan.

Thank you all!! I know I missed some, still can't figure out the multi quote from different pages. @LuckyMamaInDE you hit the nail on the head. So many conflicting emotions! I'm sorry for your loss. Even though 72 seems way too young, working as an RN in a long term care facility did help me prepare. Every day I see people who are just praying for God to take them home, or stoke survivors who live for years with little quality of life. Families who are in tears that they ever put a feeding tube in a stroke survivor. Even at 72 my Mom had a good life, not always easy, but a good life...and that I can thank God for.

What an incredible outlook and I’m thankful your job and experiences helped shape your viewpoint.

I truly believe we were given mortal bodies to have the wisdom and urgency to live life to the fullest. Some people go their whole life and miss that. It sounds like your mom was not one of those people.

Lots of love and prayers to you.

I would go for the CIP 80k points over the CIC...50k

To me the 30,000 points are worth $300 since you could cash them out....so if you get the CIP...you could cash out 9,500 points to pay the $95 AF and still be ahead $205 or 20,500 points

You could also PC the CSP to a CFU...for 1.5x on everything not falling into any higher categories
You could always get the CIC in 3 months or later PC you CIP to CIC and then purchase the VGC or MCGCs at Staples when they run them fee free to use at Costco. Then you will have gotten 5x UR instead of 2% at Costco.
Typical advice would be a year but the business cards do not have the same restrictions on PCing as the personal with the 1 year waiting period. As I found out when I pc'ed my CIU to CIP when I had had it for 6 months so I could refer DH for CIP2.
If you can make the 5k in spend for the CIP I would still do that. As @palhockeymomof2 said you can always use some of the points to cover the AF of the CIP and still be ahead by 20k UR. If you did the CIC now instead, you'd have to spend 3k on MSR and another 4k on the 5x category to earn the same amount of points.

You don't have to keep the CIP long term, you could cancel it after a year and apply for the CIC, or just PC it to the CIC (if you end up over 5/24 again).

How much do you realistically expect to spend in the bonus categories over the next 6-12 months? Add that to the sign up bonuses and see where each fall.
When is your CSP fee due? I think I would PC it down because you can still transfer with the CIP. Reevaluate when your CIP is a year old, will you close that? There is nothing wrong with closing some cards so don't let that scare you away. I would say close CIP after a year then you can PC your old CF back up to a CSP, so then you still have one CF and one CSP if that is what you want. But get those 80,000 points first!
@Livelovedance I agree with the information you have received above. CIP is the most lucrative for the sign up bonus despite poor ongoing spend categories. If the only reason you have a CSP is to continue transfers of UR, CIP will give you the same option and also is the same 1.25 rate for travel. If you use CSP for the primary car rental, CIP also has primary car rental but with a statement that it needs to be used for "business" travel, so I don't use that card for the car rental insurance. If you downgrade your CSP to another CF and find you need the a CSP you could upgrade your other CF (as long as it has been at least 1 year since you opened it).

With your 4/24 status, I would make your next move after the CIP carefully, so you don't block out chase for too long just in case a great offer comes along. I know you want a citi-costco card but if max'ing out with ongoing spend is the main goal-considering discover cash back 5% rotating categories, and first year match would be 2% on all spend and up to 10% on the rotating categories for the first year.
@Livelovedance the CIC is nice because it also gets 2% back at gas stations. If you have an office supply gift store that is convenient it is good for gift cards. I use it not just for Disney but for places like Amazon, Jiffy Lube, Petco. It also has the 0% APR if you had to float the money. The CIP is nice pretty much for the extra points but honestly it is kind of a crap card. But extra points are always nice...just some more to think about. Maybe just get one and then go for the other in 3 months?
How did I not know this?? lol I am terrible with what cards earn what. Apparently restaurants too. I don't have either Sapphire right now, so I could have used that knowledge many times. Oops.
This is why I love the Disboards, thank you for listening to my rambling and offering sound advice! :disrocks:

With all of my thinking, I didn’t think to consider some of the suggestions offered above. I wouldn’t make up that 30,000 points in the category spend on the CIC. Thinking about the AF as points made me realize even with the AF it’s still a decent bonus. My CSP annual fee just came up again, but now I’d be willing to pay both for a year to gain the extra points.

Now that I’m realizing I could PC the CIP to the CIC, it seems a lot easier than PCing the CSP down and then applying for the CIC later. I think the CSP would be more beneficial to keep vs the CIP. Then in the end I could still get the CIC for the bonus categories.

I do have the Disc It, and I’m coming to the close of my first year with it. Ive been very happy with that card! I have the AmEx Blue Cash for 2% on gas and 3% on groceries if they aren’t bonus categories on another card. I also have the TD Cash card for 3% dining if it isn’t a bonus category on another card (those points can be redeemed for DGC which is a nice easy way to get those). I also have the BOA card that I can change the 3% category on as needed each month. These could hold me over until I’m further under 5/24. That could help me reevaluate the Costco card as well.

Decision made - I’ll apply for the CIP. The next hurdle is being accepted! :rotfl:

Thanks again everyone!

This is why I love the Disboards, thank you for listening to my rambling and offering sound advice! :disrocks:

With all of my thinking, I didn’t think to consider some of the suggestions offered above. I wouldn’t make up that 30,000 points in the category spend on the CIC. Thinking about the AF as points made me realize even with the AF it’s still a decent bonus. My CSP annual fee just came up again, but now I’d be willing to pay both for a year to gain the extra points.

Now that I’m realizing I could PC the CIP to the CIC, it seems a lot easier than PCing the CSP down and then applying for the CIC later. I think the CSP would be more beneficial to keep vs the CIP. Then in the end I could still get the CIC for the bonus categories.

I do have the Disc It, and I’m coming to the close of my first year with it. Ive been very happy with that card! I have the AmEx Blue Cash for 2% on gas and 3% on groceries if they aren’t bonus categories on another card. I also have the TD Cash card for 3% dining if it isn’t a bonus category on another card (those points can be redeemed for DGC which is a nice easy way to get those). I also have the BOA card that I can change the 3% category on as needed each month. These could hold me over until I’m further under 5/24. That could help me reevaluate the Costco card as well.

Decision made - I’ll apply for the CIP. The next hurdle is being accepted! :rotfl:

Thanks again everyone!
Good luck with the CIP app!

So I should bring up it's speculated that you'll be less likely to be targeted for the 100k Platinum offer if you already have AmEx cards (and I think more likely having MR cards). I don't have the steel trap spreadsheet like some here, but I think you have more UR cards and don't recall if you ever pulled the trigger on a MR card. Since AmEx is the 'lifetime' bonus getting the highest one you can for each card is a consideration. Since this is the highest we've seen for the BBP, that's good; but if you had your eye the Platicorn this may affect that.
JetBlue transfers at 250MR:200JB so 20k sign up would get you 16k JetBlue. UR is 1:1 correct? So a comparable spend card like the CIC or CIU would get you 50k points for the same 3k.
I probably just made that easier or harder to decide :laughing: I guess I should have prefaced that earlier with - Since I already have a MR card and not looking for a Platinum any time soon and I'm laying off Chase for a bit, I'd probably try for it since it's the best offer (20k/3k) we've seen. It wouldn't be a bad break from Chase as you'd have to spend $3,200 on a 5x UR card for the same 16k JetBlue points transfer, so you'd be a bit ahead if you're between Chase apps.

The only AMEX card I have is the Hilton Honors. Never even thought about the Platinum lol. So no mr cards. But glad to hear that 20/3 on that bbp is a good offer. I take this hobby very very slowly compared to everyone else. I just finished spend on the JB personal last month.

I opened 3 Chase cards (CFU IHG & SW) and the HH in 2017. Then 3 business cards in 2018 (CIC CIU & JB Biz). And so far for this year (my sister laughs when I say so far for opening cc's lol) I've gotten the CIP, a Cashback card :duck: and the JB personal. My last card from 2017 will be falling off next month...Sorry not sure why the tint changed.

But thanks for the info as far as the JB transfer amount as well as the math in comparing it to spend on a 5x card. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on 3k MSR because I just got work done on my house and nobody wanted a cc payment. But will think about it.

Well, you've seen the stories that United execs aren't happy with Chase's credit card offerings because customers aren't putting ongoing spend on their United cards. Chase and United have a new offer for you:

Up to 100,000 miles on the United Explorer Business card!
  • 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 in 3 months.
  • 50,000 additional miles after spending a total of $25,000 in 6 months.
I think for many of us, it's a clear no thanks.

UR transfers to United 1:1, and there are more lucrative UR card options right now where that $25,000 MSR is better spent.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-united-business-explorer-100000-miles-offer/

Well, you've seen the stories that United execs aren't happy with Chase's credit card offerings because customers aren't putting ongoing spend on their United cards. Chase and United have a new offer for you:

Up to 100,000 miles on the United Explorer Business card!
  • 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 in 3 months.
  • 50,000 additional miles after spending a total of $25,000 in 6 months.
I think for many of us, it's a clear no thanks.

UR transfers to United 1:1, and there are more lucrative UR card options right now where that $25,000 MSR is better spent.

$30,000 in spend for 100,000 miles?? Are they smoking crack?

Still no CIP. I applied/was approved on 7/31. Do you experts think I need to be worried that it got lost in the mail, or is this still within the realm of normal?

OK Discover, you confound me some. Not sure why I should pay you for identity theft protection that you're hawking at every opportunity when you can't even get the free credit alert monitoring right.

My SW Priority card reported to the bureaus a few weeks back. I did actually get a note from Discover warning me of a new account listed on my Experian report when it did. (Had trouble actually viewing the alert, but this is typical behavior for me I've found so it could just be me/my account. I did get it to show eventually)

Today I get my monthly report activity summary but again it's the "
You had no alerts this month

There was no new activity, which would have triggered an identity alert:
There have been no new accounts opened in your name on your Experian® credit report

We did not find your Social Security number posted on any Dark Web* sites that we monitor

We will alert you if anything changes."

Mmkay? Pretty certain the "Alert: New Account Opened on Your Credit Report" was pretty definitive as an alert of a new account on my credit report, but what do I know?

Ok Discover, everything is still hunky dory, got it :thumbsup2

I'm having a bit of an internal debate right now. So I've been dealt the unfortunate card of having my birthday the day after Halloween. I was wanting to do a weekend trip to WDW, but there are basically no hotels left. I did find a room at both the Swan and the Dolphin. On one hand, I feel like I need to book it right away because they'll be gone and there won't be any hotels left. On the other hand, Dh's CSR travel credit should reset on August 22 and I would like to use it on this. What do you guys think?

I would grab it - I don't see any refundable rooms (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)... If the resort fees weren't so crazy I'd consider booking there for that weekend. I'm going with my running buddies for a girl's weekend for the Wine & Dine races, and I booked back in March at CBR, and Pirate rooms were all they had. We were hoping for fall discounts for either better rooms or a price reduction, and got neither. I'm sure the skyliner is partially affecting that.

At least I'm splitting the room cost with 2 other people o_O

Can you book a refundable rate? Then if there is still availability when his credit resets, book with that and cancel the original booking?
The swan is cheapest through the Marriott website and is non refundable. The dolphin was through orbitz and I think there was a refundable option but it cost more of course. Might be worth it though if we can cancel and rebook or if anything else opens up. The cheapest hotel on disney’s website for that weekend starts at $500

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter