• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! What did you do for your DD? I think we are hyphenating. With mine first lol

Our DD has only my surname. Not sharing a last name with any kid(s) we'd have was actually my DW's biggest worry. But she also didn't want to give our kid(s) hyphenated last names. My last name is very basic and not at all hard to pronounce or terrible sounding, so she was ok with DD taking it. Turns out DD is my little mini-Me anyway, so it worked out. My DW just didn't want to give up her identity and accomplishments by taking my last name. My DW has a MFA that she worked really hard and paid a lot of money for, and had kind of developed a career and reputation by the time I got around to proposing. She didn't want the complications of changing any of that, and I didn't want her to. Besides, I've always known her as First Name Maiden Name, and fell in love with her as such; the thought of her changing her last name to mine just felt so weird.

Yes, I'm thinking that's what we'll have to do.

Although with all of the Amex AFs coming up between DH and I, I'm wondering if we cut our losses with them for a while and go for the Hyatt cards instead and stay at the Hyatt in Maui instead of the Grand Wailea.
But what are you at 5/24 status? You could hurt drinking from the CIPpy CIP?
Ugh! That's it? So lame.
Agreed. Usually they throw us a bone with something more like Walgreens

I was wondering the same about Netflix since DH has at least 2 DVD accounts with them, one in his name and one in mine.

I just checked and I won't find out until July 14. I have enough credit to cover this month and I'll have a $0.82 charge in July. I haven't had a charge on a CC since Jan 2018 but it showed as Netflix then and when I pull up the invoices they say Netflix Inc in CA still. Seems like it'd be silly to have two separate billing entities for CC payments if everything else still seems merged, so I think it'd work. Guess we find out in July :)

AmEx offers:

Marriott, Spend $200+ get $40 back, expires 9/3
Does not have the "single transaction" language like that Hyatt offer had.

Rover .com, Spend $50+ get $10 back, expires 9/10

I did have the Marriott offer on a SPG card, but if you didn't and want it on one I'd hold off adding it just yet. There's usually been a way to get it on there figured out.

Thanks! Got mine on the Brilliant, so $40 off the annual fee in my mind.

I do recall that the Marriott upgrades did some really strange things! I also upgraded a Marriott card and my free night still comes on the card's original anniv date (3/15) but the AF apparently now posts on 9/1. Perhaps upgrades through an official upgrade promo could also work differently than a simple PC. I feel like we should gather tons of DPs on this but that sounds like a lot of work, haha. I'll just keep monitoring and see if we can glean anything from that.
I don't recall that - I'm interested in the DP though... Can you share this info:
1) Original approval date of CSP
2) Date you did the upgrade
3) Date that the AF is charged now
4) Date that the travel credit resets

That would be interesting to see!

For DH's Chase Marriott (originally the $85 AF one)

1) Jan 2016 approved
2) Dec 2018 upgraded with single purchase for 50K offer
3) June 2019 AF charged ($95)
4) Jan 2019 35K FN cert issued

It is strange.

Ugh gas stations are so hard for us. Dh has a new hybrid w 50+ mpg and I fill up my van once a month since I can walk just about everywhere in our town.

Has anyone paid Netflix far ahead?

Like Hulu, I don't see a way to do it. I don't see anywhere to buy a GC from the site and you can only setup a monthly subscription so no way to prepay. Usually even if you upgrade to a more expensive package and then downgrade, the downgrade doesn't take effect until the end of the billing cycle so you usually can't build a credit that way. I'd be happy to find out otherwise, but it's not obvious to me.

My DW has a MFA that she worked really hard and paid a lot of money for, and had kind of developed a career and reputation by the time I got around to proposing. She didn't want the complications of changing any of that, and I didn't want her to. Besides, I've always known her as First Name Maiden Name, and fell in love with her as such; the thought of her changing her last name to mine just felt so weird.

This is exactly my reasoning. I have accomplished so much with my last name and it’s who I have been. I don’t want to change it. Our last names are short so hyphenating won’t be super crazy. But I’m not 100% sure that’s what we will do.

ETA your reasoning for wanting her to keep it is adorable and I’m telling SO to say this anytime his family or something rolls their eyes lol.

Last edited:
Like Hulu, I don't see a way to do it. I don't see anywhere to buy a GC from the site and you can only setup a monthly subscription so no way to prepay. Usually even if you upgrade to a more expensive package and then downgrade, the downgrade doesn't take effect until the end of the billing cycle so you usually can't build a credit that way. I'd be happy to find out otherwise, but it's not obvious to me.
Ugh but thanks!

Did I miss any responses to this? I know Chase biz has rules for applying, but I can't remember exactly what they are.

I have no upgrade offers for Hiltons or my BGR or Green. I have had the Hilton Ascend in the past, so I fear they wouldn't give me points anyway?

You are fine applying for another Chase card since your last Chase application was in January....just look at Chase credit limits and lower if needed

Thank you so much to @Lain and @SouthFayetteFan for keeping the News Thread updated on Reddit - I'd be lost without it! June is a crazy month as it's end of quarter for us, and I'm taking 2 6-week courses for school, so my Dis time has been lacking 😒

On the CC front, "DH" applied for CIP #2 last night (#1 was approved on 3/13, so almost exactly 3 months) via my referral, got the 2 week message, and status line said approved this morning! It's not showing up online just yet, but as soon as it does I'll (sorry, "he'll") SM to get it expedited... we received our larger medical bill so 1/2 of the MSR will be knocked out with that!

And I know we're the only crazy ones that see unexpected bills as opportunities... our 2015 Ford Explorer has that awful bubbling at the edge of the hood and the paint started to chip in an area. Unfortunately the warranty on that has expired, and the corrosion warranty from Ford is worded so that it's impossible to get it covered. However, they are "graciously" covering over 80% of the cost to replace the hood, so we will owe $500. Just another chip in the MSR!

With this new CIP and 105K URs we'll be at 470K URs, since August 2018. We're gonna drink from that CIPpy cup for as long as we can!!! 💃 (I love emojis!)
You’re almost on pace to earn 1 MILLION URs in a year!!! That’s crazy :D (and awesome!)

Thanks!!! Weird indeed!

Did I miss any responses to this? I know Chase biz has rules for applying, but I can't remember exactly what they are.

I have no upgrade offers for Hiltons or my BGR or Green. I have had the Hilton Ascend in the past, so I fear they wouldn't give me points anyway?

Chase isn't inquiry sensitive on approvals and even if your Arrival+ reported already you'd still be at 4/24 so you should be ok. Good distance with last Chase card and would that have been the last personal card to show on the account before the Arrival+? If so that's probably in good shape for both approval and avoiding shutdown.

Welcome!! Not sure if I can answer all these questions, but I'll try.

1. You can go ahead and apply for the AA Biz with only your name. All Chase would see is the inquiry, so it shouldn't matter.
2. This depends on what level of MSR you are comfortable with and if you want to risk taking a lower sign up bonus and ask for a match. I'm not sure about the other offers but the one with the dummy booking does give you a temporary card number to use right away. But the limit is much lower than your actual credit limit. I can't remember exactly because I did a Hilton Biz at the same time, but one of them was only $1000, when my actual credit limit was $20,000.
3. Yes, people just sign up everyone in their household for accounts, but I don't think it's that easy to get the business mailers that way. Some get them from a friend or family. Otherwise you can buy them on Reddit (but I really know nothing about that.)
4. I am only on my first, but I believe it is 95 days.
5. I would do all further business applications in your name only. Much less chance of needing documentation. Or if you do a driver's license would suffice.
6. If you can talk P2 into a CIP, there is no issue with timing. It is totally separate from your application. But maybe you'd be better off getting started with yourself and have her apply a little later. Many of us started out with reluctant P2, and it would be a shame if she had to call in or something on her first card, and decided she didn't want to do it at all.
7. Generally yes, always wait a year before canceling. Although, that may not be true for Citi AA..not sure.

I don't know if you are on Reddit, but we have a group there where there are lots of tips. Through there you can also support someone who has been helpful to you. PM @SouthFayetteFan @Lain or @Albort if you are interested in joining.
@RoyalJay is a DISchurners member :)

I was approved for my very first CIP overnight :woohoo:

Congrats!!

Ugh gas stations are so hard for us. Dh has a new hybrid w 50+ mpg and I fill up my van once a month since I can walk just about everywhere in our town.

Has anyone paid Netflix far ahead?

Gas stations are hard for us now too with our new plug in hybrid. I've gone over 900 miles on 9 gallons, I haven't even put gas in since buying the car. I love it.

ETA: And we get Netflix included with our TMobile service so that's worthless to us. OTOH, since I'm working on 3 MSRs for $15K I guess it's better that I'm not sidetracked with the CFs for the next 3 months. Just the Discover 5% on Paypal haha.

Last edited:
Chase isn't inquiry sensitive on approvals and even if your Arrival+ reported already you'd still be at 4/24 so you should be ok. Good distance with last Chase card and would that have been the last personal card to show on the account before the Arrival+? If so that's probably in good shape for both approval and avoiding shutdown.
Yes, last two personal cards were 1/2019 Chase SW and 7/2017 Amex, and then my Arrival a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks!!

With the Hilton Upgrades, has anyone upgraded to an Ascend that already had one, and gotten the points? I have done that at least twice with my Delta personal card to the Delta Plat and gotten points both times.

We stayed at that one when we were visiting to tour apartments a couple years ago. Great spot and a nice hotel.

You'll get a variety of answers on this. I think September, but you for sure want your UY to encompass all your potential trips before the banking deadline. For a Sept UY, your banking deadline would be April 30th. That means if you book a Sept or Dec trip and are using current UY points, but your plans change and you need to cancel, you have plenty of time to bank your points to the next UY if necessary.

A March UY would be bad. Your banking deadline is October 31. Let's say you have a December trip booked, but something happens in November and you have to cancel your trip. Now your points are back in their current UY, but you're past your banking deadline. So now you need to use those points before they expire February 28 (which is going to be virtually impossible because early year is always popular).

DVC Resale Market has a good explanation.

Excellent answer! I agree with September. I have October and it has worked well for me, even though my vacations have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter