I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we only have the Hilton honors card and the Hilton honors biz card. We also earned points through other stays. The amount of points for our Hilton Tokyo bay room changed all the time and at one point went from 80k/night to 55k/night. I think it only stayed down at that price for a day or two. I was checking daily to see if the prices changed.

One of the reasons we didn’t book through chase was because the type of room we wanted was only available as non-refundable on the chase portal.

Wow, good to know about the fluctuation. I would be inclined to stay there again only because I am somewhat familiar with it from last trip (I haven't researched anything else... I am a creature of habit for sure).

I just want to add that you not get your heart set on dates when you see them available through United. We used their award chart for booking but when I called Virgin they were like “yeah we don’t have seats that day”. I’m not sure if their availability is different for some reason but just make sure you can be flexible on dates

OK also good to know.

Can you please tell me if I am understanding right- when you booked your flights, you booked both your outbound and inbound for the same date, because that's as far out as their calendar was open at the time, and then after however many necessary days passed, you then paid the $50 change fee to update your inbound to when you really planned to return.

Did you decide your flying dates and then book your hotels afterwards? Or did you book hotels first based off when you hoped to fly and change them around after you had firm flight dates?

Does anyone have any thoughts or read any DP's on the email biz mailers that citi is sending out for the AA biz card? I keep getting these and just wonder if they work as a 'mailer'. There is no 24-mo lang from what I can tell.

I applied for the Amex Gold with the 50,000 MR bonus. I got approved!!! I was stuck getting Amex pop ups the last few times I tried going for my first MR card. I have been putting some spend each month for the last few months so I guess it worked.
I also did the chat to have a rose gold instead and the rep was able to do it. At first she said to contact them again in 1-2 days since I just got applied. I just mentioned I thought was easier for them to just send the rose gold since the gold hadn’t been mailed yet. She checked again and was able to process it.
Can’t wait for my pretty card.
I don’t know much about MR so I need to learn all I can about them .

Congratulations! :cheer2:

And it really is a pretty card, too.

So, I'm not ready to take on additional MSR because I JUST got a CIP, but I have an email offer from Hilton for the Hilton Honors American Express Business card. It has 130K points SUB if you spend $3000 in the first three months with a $95 annual fee.

Assuming I even want to dip a toe in the AMEX waters (still on the fence... I remember Lain saying AMEX tends to want you to keep using them after the SUB period is over), and assuming this offer is even still valid for me in a couple months after I've met the MSR on this CIP, what do you all think? Is this offer in any way better (or worse) than others you're used to seeing?

I would definitely use the Hilton points at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, but that's more than a year away and I don't know that I'd have any additional use for Hilton Points.

It's listed under Additional Benefits or Featured Benefits, depending on the page layout I've looked it. Easy to overlook since it's the same dollar value as the Resort Credit they splash all over.

The resort credit is only available on select list of resorts, so if you're not going to stay at one that probably changes the balance the bit. But I believe you can double dip the airline credit so just that balances the AF (assuming you have cash flights you'd have paid for) even without the resort credit.
Oh wow, thank you, it is hidden but I found it! I also verified our favorite beach resort is on the list to use the credit so we are good to go there. I am going to do the CIP first, but I think this is his next card after that. Thanks again!

Guilty! Actually, using Juicy Miles to book our Japan flights is my first foray into paying someone else to book my awards flights for me. I've been doing it for years on my own, but usually with United miles via the United website (and more recently with URs on the Chase travel portal). Even without our Africa trip happening smack in the middle of the dates award flights open on JAL for our Japan dates next summer (which are not very flexible other than by a day or two on each end), I was planning to hire someone to book these awards for me. It all just felt very complicated, and I wanted someone looking at all the angles (just yesterday, James suggested using Qantas miles to book the JAL flights to take advantage of the 20% transfer bonus from Amex on transfers of MR to Qantas). Now that I will literally be on an airplane when the booking windows open for both the outbound and return flights, I'm super glad I've got someone else handling the bookings for me. We'll see if the reality turns out as well as the plans once I see what he is able to book...

I'm looking forward to hearing how this works for you. Do they get your passwords and move the points and do the booking for you? Or just tell you the best option? I'm curious since I can see value in this for really hard-to-find seats. But then I'd worry that they could mess up, too. I have that concern when booking a CL room and letting them make all my ADRs for me but it's always worked out.

Just looked over the latest DCL release. Opmph nothing exciting. Surprised at the number of short cruises this time too.

I was looking at them, too, and had the same thought. I'd love to take a PC cruise, but they don't stop at nearly the number of interesting ports that other cruise lines do, making it one long "at sea" cruise. I just can't book it. My understanding is that the Dream is going in for dry dock so the Fantasy will be taking over the short cruises for the Fall.

Well, I just applied for myself and was instantly approved! Now to decide whether to apply for DH?? My biggest concern is meeting the MSR since I also just got the CIP and I'm working on that one too. I do have our auto insurance coming up which is quite a chunk of change for our 5 drivers / 5 cars! Decisions, decisions!
w00t!!!!!

FIVE cars and FIVE drivers?! Omg you are a budgeting boss seeing as you aren’t sure you’ll hit this much MSR! I cannot imagine handling all that :worship:

I know, right!!! She adores my family (she's here in CO with us now) but the fact that she is pushing us to move to FL is interesting. It could be that she just wants to have a free place to stay in FL lol!
Nail meet head :D

SO excited to hear about this and I hope you find a wonderful place that ticks all your boxes. It’s nice that you’ve got some time to decide and maybe even plan some trips to potential spots!

Went to Staples to finally use the Amex offers for 10% off up to $500. Cleaned them out of Disney cards for our SWGE trip, lol. Plus did $50 Uber, which along with the plat credit, should get us to/from the airport and the hotel to hotel ride if I end up deciding to do that. Then rounded it out with $50 Target, just to use up the full amount.

All the talk today of recouping the AF, I remembered that FM has a nice spreadsheet for all the ultra premium cards.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/which-ultra-premium-cards-are-keepers-version-2-0/

We’ve now decided to skip the DR for Christmas and just go to FL for almost 2 1/2 weeks instead. So far, all I have booked are flights. Since our CP expires 12/31, I had to purchase DS a ticket (on points) for the first time in 4 years since we decided to come home on 1/3. Oh well, it was only 7500 points so not bad. Now to figure out what we doing.
Where are you going? We need a fall break idea. I have Sandestin booked but would kind of like something different for a change.

Well, I just applied for myself and was instantly approved! Now to decide whether to apply for DH?? My biggest concern is meeting the MSR since I also just got the CIP and I'm working on that one too. I do have our auto insurance coming up which is quite a chunk of change for our 5 drivers / 5 cars! Decisions, decisions!
Go for it. The worst case you can pay your mortgage with plastiq if you are down to the wire on one of the arrivals.

Lol - you don't have to ask me. This thread is of the DISchurners. by the DISchurners, for the DISchurners!!! But I think it's always cool to throw a little BOLD headline out there to draw attention to it:

@speedyfishy has an AWESOME fun exercise idea. Hot on the heels of the TREMENDOUS success of Marriott's new "Bonvoyed" initiative, Disney has decided to create it's own Loyalty & Status Program and it's YOUR job to help design it. I guess we'll limit this to American Parks to keep it (slightly) simple or you can just focus on WDW if that's easier. What would Silver, Gold & Platinum look like? How many nights would you have to stay to reach that level? Feel free to be as detailed as you like.

Mine will be WDW only just for simplicity, lol!

CREDITS -
  • Value Resorts = earn 1 credit per night
  • Moderate Resorts = earn 2 credits per night
  • Deluxe & Villas Resorts = earn 3 credits per night
  • DVC rental nights unfortunately would not qualify - these are direct with Disney rooms only (making this realistic)
SILVER - Earn 24 credits during any calendar year and earn Silver status for the remainder of that year and all of the next year:
  • 1 Additional pre-booked FP per person in your room for each 3 nights of your stay (i.e. a 6 or 7 night stay would get 2 additional per person)
  • Earn LIFETIME silver status by earning 250 lifetime credits OR by earning silver status in 7 consecutive years
GOLD - Earn 40 credits during any calendar year and earn Gold status for the remainder of that year and all of the next year:
  • 1 Additional pre-booked FP per person in your room for each 2 night of your stay (i.e. a 4 or 5 night stay would get 2 additional per person)
  • FREE refillable mug
  • Book Dining Reservations at 200 days out
  • 1 Free Tour (up to a maximum TBD $ value) for up to 6 guests
  • Earn LIFETIME gold status by earning 500 lifetime credits OR by earning gold status in 7 consecutive years
PLATINUM - Earn 60 credits during any calendar year and earn Platinum status for the remainder of that year and all of the next year:
  • 1 Additional pre-booked FP per person in your room for each nights of your stay (i.e. a 4 night stay would get 4 additional per person)
  • FREE refillable mug
  • Book Dining Reservations at 200 days out
  • Book FP Reservations at 90 days
  • 1 Free Tour (up to a maximum TBD $ value) for up to 6 guests
  • 1 Free Dessert party of your choice for up to 6 guests
  • Earn LIFETIME platinum status by earning 750 lifetime credits OR by earning Platinum status in 10 consecutive years
I disagree with not allowing DVC stays to count!:rolleyes1

So, I'm not ready to take on additional MSR because I JUST got a CIP, but I have an email offer from Hilton for the Hilton Honors American Express Business card. It has 130K points SUB if you spend $3000 in the first three months with a $95 annual fee.

Assuming I even want to dip a toe in the AMEX waters (still on the fence... I remember Lain saying AMEX tends to want you to keep using them after the SUB period is over), and assuming this offer is even still valid for me in a couple months after I've met the MSR on this CIP, what do you all think? Is this offer in any way better (or worse) than others you're used to seeing?

I would definitely use the Hilton points at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, but that's more than a year away and I don't know that I'd have any additional use for Hilton Points.

The Hilton Biz has been at 125k for some time. So just 5k more, is not a lot in terms of Hilton points. Do you have any Amex cards? If you're a new customer, you're more likely to be targeted for the 100k Membership Rewards (MR) offer on the Amex Platinum card. The platicorn we've been talking about today, lol. 🦄 Once you have that, you could then support yourself to the Hilton Biz for an additional 15k MRs. It is a personal card though and will add to your x/24. Not sure if you want to dip your toes in MRs yet. And the AF is a whopping $550. But there are ways to recoup that, which may or may not work for you.

I received an email from Amex offering me 5k rewards on my Platinum card for each AU I add that spends $500 or more (you can add the fee free Gold card). Up to 20k points (4 AUs).

I read on Reddit that you can request the card but not provide a SSN at the time of the request. You can then quickly make the $500 spend before they request the SSN be added and then cancel the AU card. Has anyone done this before and do you think Amex would view it negatively?

I would be surprised if this worked because I am quite sure I needed to enter SSNs for my AUs before their cards could be activated. But maybe I could have used the cards without activating? That I do not know.

ETA: Just to be clear - I did get the cards without providing SSNs, but then once they arrived I did whatever the sticker on the cards said to do to activate, which involved entering SSNs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter