I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI: MICKEY WAFFLE LOVERS!

The Mickey Mouse 90th Anniversary Double Flip Waffle Maker is back in stock at shopDisney. $64.95. Limit 2. Use code SHIPMAGIC for free shipping over $75. Remember to use a shopping portal for extra cash back.

ETA: This waffle maker makes deep waffles like the ones in the parks, not the pancake-y ones most waffle irons make. It's already sold out at least 2 times and I've seen it go for crazy amounts on eBay.

You guys are such enablers. I just ordered this as it was too cute and then had to add something to get free shipping so I also got the 90th Anniversary Mickey Crock Pot. I have a lot of crock pots but not this one...

Fell behind impossible to catch up thank god for Reddit!

On AA biz I am up for my 95 days June 3rd. Any DPs if the bonuses aren’t crediting on the same biz bonus offer? For example I did the higher sign up spend/bonus and DH did the lower MSR with the airline credit. I wonder if we switched it would be a greater chance of crediting? Probably grasping at straws here.

Also Stop and Shop and Giant etc are doing Happy Cards at 8x fuel rewards and Wayfair too.

With all this Hawaii talk I thought I would join in and ask for advice as well. @hulagirl @Lain My family(me, wife, and 13 year old son) will be taking a 10 day trip to Oahu/Maui during next March. We are planning 3 days in Oahu the rest in Maui. I don't yet have a hotel booked for Oahu but it will be somewhere on Waikiki beach. We are splitting the Maui stay with 3 days at Hyatt Regency and the rest at the Grand Wailea. Beyond a hotel recommendation on Waikiki, I was hopeful for some suggestions on things to do in Maui and places to eat. There seems like a lot of things to do but I want to try and narrow it down a realistic list of activities while having enough relaxation time at the hotels and on the beach/pool areas. I thank churning for all of the Hilton/Hyatt/SW/UR points which will make most of this trip free. Never would have made it to Hawaii from Indiana without them

We were in Maui this March, and stayed next door to the Grand Wailea, at the Wailea Beach Resort. March was toward the end of the humpback whale migration and we did a whale watching tour that I booked through the UR portal - it was called VIP Ultimate Whale Watch and we saw so much activity that day including seeing babies with their mommies. There are many whale watching tours in Maui; the reason I picked this one is because we were on a small Zodiac-type boat capped at 12 passengers, we were practically at the same level as the water's surface and we were so close, and that boat was able to turn and move quickly compared to the larger vessels that go out there. I also booked a luau (Te Au Moana at our property), and a sail/snorkel trip to Molokini (Sail Maui, also a smaller passenger capacity) through the UR portal, which were both excellent. I think you can snorkel on the beach in front of the Grand Wailea, and also on the next beach a 5 minute walk north, if you want to do that, best to do in the morning.

We also did a drive to the Haleakala summit, and a good portion of that was a nervewracking drive through the densest fog I've ever experienced (and I lived in Seattle for years) going 5-10 mph. The summit is otherworldly, and you can see Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa in the distance. Note that if you want to drive up for the sunrise, you have to get a permit because the park service limits the number of vehicles up there. Years ago DH & I did the sunrise and bike ride down from Haleakala and were picked up at 2:30AM by the tour outfit and it was memorable...although this time as we were driving the road during the day we just shook our heads at our younger selves for doing that lol. Your forearms and hand grip get a serious workout from squeezing the brakes all the way down. Even so, I would have considered doing it except that DD14 is not a strong bike rider & she would have been unhappy getting up in the middle of the night.

We did a good bit of driving this trip (but not to Hana because DH & I did the drive all the way around years ago and we didn't feel like doing that again - but it is a beautiful drive and worth doing if you have the time). Up north in Kapalua there is a coastal trail which is just gorgeous and you walk on the black lava rock along the cliffside with the waves crashing.

I would suggest as you make plans, you pay attention to where the meeting places for the day trips originate. The Hyatt Regency may be closer to them than the Grand Wailea. During our stay in Wailea, we would usually give ourselves 30-40 minutes (actually, it might have been closer to 40-50 min) to get to the harbors so that there was time to find parking (not easy) and arrive 15 minutes before the start time. And if you pick one that starts out of Lahaina, do spend some time in Lahaina, it's a fun little town. Also, if you know there's something you want to do, book your spots early because March is a popular time and availability goes away fast.

If I can get a poke bowl then I'm happy, so I don't have restaurant recommendations that are foodie-level. There is a shopping mall within a 5 minute walk away from the Grand Wailea and there are restaurants there. And the Island Gourmet Marketplace there has a deli if you don't want a sit-down meal and the prices are affordable.

There are so many things to do and see in Maui, you'll have a fantastic trip! I love Maui and the laid back attitude there. It reminds me of the Pura Vida attitude in Costa Rica.

I have a question about the lounges in Denver. DD is meeting up with some friends there and I wondering if there is a lounge they can go to after the flight arrives. She has a platinum card and a priority pass card. There will be 4 of them, but I remembered people posting about a restaurant so maybe that could work?

Thanks so much. I'm sending her this info. She's on United, but there are 4 total, coming in on 4 different flights from 4 different cities, so I have no idea where they will all meet up but this does sound nice. :)

@wendow and @amalone1013 have you covered. I've been able to visit Timberline on arrival, but it takes time and if you have checked bags to pick up you just have to hope they get pulled aside properly from baggage claim. The great thing about DEN is that all the lounges are accessible after security, since the terminals connect to each other via underground train. So no matter the airline, you can meet up in one of the terminals and not have to go through security again. None of the irritating lack of access with other airports.

Last edited:
@Kawnipi I will leave you with a few last pictures and an admonition. Step outside your comfort zone on this island. It will be richly rewarding and your son will never ever forget it. I hope you'll come back and tell us how much you enjoyed your time there when March rolls around... all too fast. Visit the upcountry towns of Makawao and Kula. Head off for a day of driving the incredible West Maui Mountains. Go on a Whale Watch out of Maalaea Harbor. Visit the quaint towns of Lahaina and Paia. Make a visit to Ulapalakua Ranch and sample some wine, while enjoying lunch with a beautiful view and some sassy trinkets in the general store. Step off the beaten path. I promise you won't regret it.;-)

View attachment 402792 View attachment 402794 View attachment 402795 View attachment 402796 View attachment 402797 View attachment 402798 View attachment 402799 View attachment 402800 View attachment 402801

All your pictures are amazing...Thanks so much for sharing them

Kauai is my favorite island - the Grand Hyatt is just so great. And I LOOOOVVEEE the Fairmont on Big Island. Both Kauai and Big Island are great for outdoor adventures and hiking - very rugged. I like Oahu for the shopping and city life. Maui is just the best place to be in America. Enjoy.

#NowIWantToGoToHawaiiAgain

Just seconding the recommendations for the Grand Hyatt in Kauai and the Fairmont in Kona on the Big Island. Those are our go-to places on those islands and we have been to both several times and never been disappointed. :cloud9: And now I want to go back!!!

Theres often a wait, I've never seen it above 20 mins though it always looks like a ton of people waiting. Last trip we got there just after 3pm and were seated immediately. Weve never used it on arrival. I think technically the website says for departure only but I've never seen them check boarding passes. They do ask for a boarding time so I'd just give them one that is at least an hour out.

Thank you so much! I'm sending all this info to my DD and hope that they will get to try it out, even if only on the day of departure. She doesn't have a summer job (she will be doing some interesting volunteer work at the V.A. though) and her stipend for next year is really small, so any time she can save money she will. ;)

I really want to give special thanks to @mmmears, @afan, @GlamMistress, @Wanderlust, and @hulagirl for posting about their Hawaii vacations and sharing some amazing tips with @Kawnipi. Likes just aren't enough sometimes. Seeing all that is a wonderful way to start my morning.

Aww. It's so fun to reminisce, although I'm not much help since we don't go to everyone's "must do" spots and just enjoy relaxing at the hotel and swimming in the ocean most trips... It's why we always stay somewhere really nice - it's worth it since we really do spend our days there. I've enjoyed looking over the Na Pali cliffs, seeing Waimea Canyon, and snorkeling at Molokini, but I get car/boat/air sick so even those smaller adventures aren't so much fun for me. No way would I even try to get to Hana. :rotfl: Yet I love Maui anyway.

:offtopic:My dog just got a cancer diagnosis. I have an oncologist appointment in 2 weeks. It's not looking good.:sad1:

Hawaii is on my radar for Christmas week 2020. Would the weather be reliably decent? Also, for a 5-day (first) trip, where would be the best place to start? Of course I am thinking Aulani but is that convenient to other things we would want to do?

ETA: We are not beach people so we'd need some hiking or biking or some other sort of interact with nature activities.

@wendow and @amalone1013 have you covered. I've been able to visit Timberline on arrival, but it takes time and if you have checked bags to pick up you just have to hope they get pulled aside properly from baggage claim. The great thing about DEN is that all the lounges are accessible after security, since the terminals connect to each other via underground train. So no matter the airline, you can meet up in one of the terminals and not have to go through security again. None of the irritating lack of access with other airports.

Thanks. This is good to know!

:offtopic:My dog just got a cancer diagnosis. I have an oncologist appointment in 2 weeks. It's not looking good.:sad1:

I am so, so sorry. :(

Hawaii is on my radar for Christmas week 2020. Would the weather be reliably decent? Also, for a 5-day (first) trip, where would be the best place to start? Of course I am thinking Aulani but is that convenient to other things we would want to do?

ETA: We are not beach people so we'd need some hiking or biking or some other sort of interact with nature activities.

We've been during xmas a few times and it was colder than spring, but lovely weather (rainy on the rainy side of the Big Island in Hilo, but that's to be expected and we stayed in Kona). Friends were on Oahu last February, though, and it was rainy pretty much the whole week. So I guess you never really know, although it's usually nice. We had a week on Kauai in May where it was actually cold, and it pretty much ruined our stay since my DD was one year old and wasn't into driving around and sight seeing at that point. But that was an El Nino year, and really unusual.

We stayed in Waikiki Hyatt place. Good enough to sleep in and breakfast was decent. Two blocks to walk to beach. We also did PCC. The luau was ok but not worth doing again. The show ha breath was well worth it. I’d see it again.

Is there a way to put all this HI info on the dischurners page for easier reference?

ETA the udon noodle place is really good. Waited in line for 30 min but can’t complain we both ate a full dinner for $11 total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter