I jumped the shark today....

MBTigger

Designated Bouncer
And made an offer for an SSR contract.
I know I SHOULD buy AKV because I loved staying there and everyone says buy where you want to stay. Everyone also says I should wait because prices will fall another 10% or more for a few months of waiting.
But I am not certain we will use the 11 month window,. Plus our schedule is pretty flexible. We also prefer 1BR accommodations (the most open ones at 7 months) as we have food allergies in our household and prefer eating most of our meals at "home". We also have complimentary tickets to HS because of a SNAFU that happened on our last trip and so we need to head back within 16 months if we want to use those. 10% is roughly the price I might pay to rent points so that evens out (depending on how you account for it - Hey, I am justify my purchase here!).

I was thinking about not chasing an AKL contract as well. But who knows, I was going to wait only for ROFR on my first contract but I’m going to wait for it to close first before making anymore offers. We are a family of 5 so for several rooms we have to get a bigger room than a studio, at AKL that knocks us out of the studios immediately.

Disney ain’t buying anything.

That is my hope. And then I have to decide how to react to counter offers.
The GOOD news is that when I talked to my spouse about making an offer she said "I Want This". So even if this bid fails I will probably move onto another....

I was in the same predicament as you. I really wanted AKL but a contract for SSR came up for the exact amount of points I wanted. I have stayed in a 2 bedroom at SSR in the past (I have family who owns DVC and this is their home resort) and it was really enjoyable. I will most likely be staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom unit when I travel to any DVC property so I figured that I will book at room at SSR at 11 months out and check to see what's available at the 7 months mark to change resorts.

I’m following in your footsteps and just had an offer accepted at SSR. I was looking for AKV with as SSR as a back up. I really love AKV but it has been tough finding a 100pt contract with an Oct. use year. Every time there is a small contract listed it seems to be snatched up quickly.
I saw an Oct. use year SSR that actually had 2020 pts so I decided to go for it. I’m not exactly sure how DVC will work for our family since Dh isn’t a Disney fan so I’m going to use these SSR points to sleep around when possible so I can get a better feel of what resort I would like to get next. If we end up at SSR that is fine too. Love the new rooms and the walk to DS. I showed DS a video today and he is super excited about all the pools and the arcade.

The counter offer was 92.5 per pt, which I figured was not unreasonable. I am also not a guy to quibble for every last dime so I agreed to the counter. Once I have a deposit down and it goes to ROFR I will add my name to the ROFR thread....

The counter offer was 92.5 per pt, which I figured was not unreasonable. I am also not a guy to quibble for every last dime so I agreed to the counter. Once I have a deposit down and it goes to ROFR I will add my name to the ROFR thread....
Good luck!! We can’t wait to welcome you home!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter