I have room change-itis and need help sticking with a decision.

KStash

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to decide between POFQ vs GF and keep going back and forth. Money isn't an issue, but I want my resort to have that disney magical feeling (like I felt the first time I stepped into AKL last year).

I'm currently booked with a pretty good room discount at GF in the outer buildings with a lagoon view. But for 500 less, I can book a standard room at POFQ.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel like POFQ has a more "disney feeling" and I'm worried that GF might be a little less magical, despite the increase in amenities and nicer rooms.

I know it has the monorail, which is why I keep going back to it, but I'm worried it won't feel very Disney. Honestly, I wish I had kept my original standard reservation at the Poly, because that had the theming and the monorail (but it's completely booked up).

Is there anyone who would choose POFQ over GF (if money wasn't an option) or am I being crazy?

Have you stayed at POFQ previously? When are you going? If it a bit out I would suggest to continue to look for an opening at Poly as people may cancel. If that doesn't work out I would stick with GF. Nothing is more Disney than being able to see the castle from your resort.

I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I would go with POFQ. Have stayed there three times and absolutely loved it! Have never stayed at GF, only been there for dinner and shopping. But just doing that didn't give me the right "feel". It just felt stuffy to me. Actually, my whole family agrees! No one has any desire to stay there at all. The monorail part is nice, but it seems the monorail is constantly having issues and really can't be relied on. POFQ, there's just not a bad room in the resort, it's so peaceful, relaxed, quaint.

I know you said money's not an issue, but I'd rather take that $500 and spend it on something else!

Have you stayed at POFQ previously? When are you going? If it a bit out I would suggest to continue to look for an opening at Poly as people may cancel. If that doesn't work out I would stick with GF. Nothing is more Disney than being able to see the castle from your resort.

No, just AKL, my trip is in September.

I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I would go with POFQ. Have stayed there three times and absolutely loved it! Have never stayed at GF, only been there for dinner and shopping. But just doing that didn't give me the right "feel". It just felt stuffy to me. Actually, my whole family agrees! No one has any desire to stay there at all. The monorail part is nice, but it seems the monorail is constantly having issues and really can't be relied on. POFQ, there's just not a bad room in the resort, it's so peaceful, relaxed, quaint.

I know you said money's not an issue, but I'd rather take that $500 and spend it on something else!

That is what I am worried about, that it will feel stuffy to me. And if the monorail did go down, would I then be aggravated with my choice.

But then this may be the only opportunity I have to stay at the GF, as I usually travel with a big family (that I pay for), so it would be out of my price range on future trips (unless I choose to not take them all).

I wish I could just make the decision and stop thinking about it so much. Too much time before my trip, argh!

We stayed at the GF for the first time last December and it felt very magical. We usually stay at the BC or WL, neither of which has a view of the castle. But being able to see the Magic Kingdom from the Grand was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. I loved being able to see and hear Wishes from the resort. They pipe in the music and the fireworks are really close to the resort. We could watch the Electric Water Pageant from our room. It was really nice.

But then this may be the only opportunity I have to stay at the GF, as I usually travel with a big family (that I pay for), so it would be out of my price range on future trips (unless I choose to not take them all).
We had a very good deal on our GF trip. We had gotten a free upgrade from a lower priced resort, so the GF was really cheap. I am glad we took the chance to experience it at the low rate because I know we'll never get such a good deal again. ;)

Last edited:
If it is your one chance to stay at the GF, I'd say go for it. We stayed there when my son was around 9 or 10 and enjoyed it. At the time the monorail resorts were the only on property resorts so we really didn't have a choice. Oddly enough, your two choices are two of my least favorite on site resorts in their categories. I've never stayed at POFQ but have stayed at POR and walked over to POFQ every morning. It just felt a little more motelish than the other moderates to me from the outside. I love the GF and if you plopped that baby down within walking distance to Epcot, I'd stay there every trip. As it is, I visit it every trip but stay at the Epcot resorts since it and HS are our favorite parks. Even at it's current location I'd probably be more apt to at least do a split stay there if you weren't forced to us the monorail to get to Epcot. I'm not a fan, it tends to break down a lot and there is nothing worse than sitting on it when it's not moving. If you had an option of the monorail and some other WDW transportation to Epcot, I'd be all in.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it is greatly appreciated! I'm going to leave it, as is, for now (which is GF).

It probably is my only chance to stay there, versus POFQ (which would be more affordable when I take my whole family in 2019). Hopefully I can keep my itchy fingers off the "change reservation" button. I wish Disney would ban me from accessing it.

If you have a good rate at GF then my vote would be to stick with GF -- wonderful hotel with monorail, good restaurants and beautiful landscaping...stay there and do POFQ with your whole family!

While I've never felt compelled to stay at GF (just due to prices) but no way I would move to POFQ for just a $500 savings. You say AKL wowed you and you want that again .......... well you won't get it at POFQ for sure. You might say WOW when you walk into the GF lobby and realize that is your home for now.

All the dining options in spitting distance compared to no TS at your resort and one at the neighboring. I love a peaceful meal at the Grand Floridian Cafe and to walk from my room, perfect. The monorail and MK right there. Wishes from the beach if you want a quiet evening. Much nicer room plus all the amenities. POFQ doesn't even have all the moderate amenities. Especially for a trip you may not be able to do later, to be on your own .... I would treat myself.

I can't even process that $500 would be worth that downgrade. Now if you said $1500 or more, maybe .... I would keep it!

I guess I'm in the minority but I will always choose GF over any other resort on property. We stayed there in Dec 2015 & found it very magical (maybe it was all the Christmas decor), but we loved everything about it, and did not find it stuffy at all. If the monorail goes down you always have the boat. If you were wowed by AKL, and want that feeling again I agree with PP that POFQ won't wow you when you walk in. It's a nice laid-back resort.

Absolutely GF with what you said.

(I've stayed at both. Love POFQ, but oh my goodness for only $500 more GF?) I also am afflicted from room-change-itis, fwiw (but wouldn't struggle with this one). Even if the monorail went down, you can watch fireworks from your beach if you are tired or didn't go to a park for whatever reason one night. Monorail around to Poly and CR is so fun. And while I do love the mods and value resorts, it drives me nuts that people frequently look into my room - so, I keep the curtains closed alot (its like being in an inside cruise cabin). But at a deluxe resort you get patio/balcony, and thus drapes open/sun/no lookie loos! So much nicer. Not to mention the pool (and slide) is far better at GF.

Thanks ya'll, for the advice. I think my main issue is that I regret moving out of the Poly, but it was before the room discount and at that time I switched to POFQ because it was 1200 dollars cheaper. But then the room only discount came up for GF, and I felt it was too good to turn down (and is almost a 800 less than what I would have spent at the Poly). And even though I have the money, I am going to be spending most of my time at the parks.

So Grand Floridian it is. I know once I get there I'll likely love it. After all, I'm going to Disney World! And I'll be able to walk outside and see the Magic Kingdom. Plus, I've never seen the Electrical Water Pageant. Thanks for everyone's advice, it is appreciated.

I'm trying to decide between POFQ vs GF and keep going back and forth. Money isn't an issue, but I want my resort to have that disney magical feeling (like I felt the first time I stepped into AKL last year).

I'm currently booked with a pretty good room discount at GF in the outer buildings with a lagoon view. But for 500 less, I can book a standard room at POFQ.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel like POFQ has a more "disney feeling" and I'm worried that GF might be a little less magical, despite the increase in amenities and nicer rooms.

I know it has the monorail, which is why I keep going back to it, but I'm worried it won't feel very Disney. Honestly, I wish I had kept my original standard reservation at the Poly, because that had the theming and the monorail (but it's completely booked up).

Is there anyone who would choose POFQ over GF (if money wasn't an option) or am I being crazy?
I personally love Port Orleans but also love GF and for only a $500.00 difference I would definitely go to GF.

I promise you, GF does not feel stuffy. It's beautiful, yes, and fancy inside, but not stuffy. There are kids everywhere. I also promise you that the quick service food will be 10 times better than at FQ, and the pools will be nicer, too. You will love being able to take the boat to and from MK, and the monorail, as well. I've stayed at 5 resorts including GF, and all I can say is that if I had the money to stay at GF every time, I would. The rooms don't feel like motel rooms, and watching wishes from the resort is pretty special. I'm sure FQ has it's great qualities, too, but if you can swing it, go for GF--you will not regret it.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it is greatly appreciated! I'm going to leave it, as is, for now (which is GF).

It probably is my only chance to stay there, versus POFQ (which would be more affordable when I take my whole family in 2019). Hopefully I can keep my itchy fingers off the "change reservation" button. I wish Disney would ban me from accessing it.

I have been able to stay at the AKL, POFQ and GF and liked them all a lot. I think that $500 is worth it to stay at the GF. It is not stuffy, but very casual. There is a lot to do, and the service is impeccable. I would plan a little more resort time if staying at the Grand.

Every resort offers a different experience, and we tend to choose based on how we want to spend the vacation. My DH would choose the Poly over any other, as would my DD and her family, but if our trip is Epcot-centric we choose the Beach Club. IF we are planning more time in the MK we look at a monorail resort.

If the trip is busy we tend to choose a moderate. POFQ is our favorite. I dont like to spend more money on a resort if we are nto going to spend much time there.

Grand Floridian is totally magical!!! It's fancy, but not stuffy. We've stayed there many times. If the monorail goes down, you hop on the boat to the MK. The pools are awesome. The lobby is gorgeous! Seeing the castle and watching the Water Light Parade is magical. You can hear a "howl" from the haunted mansion (is that where it's from?) from the GF. I can't imagine someone not liking it.

So Grand Floridian it is. I know once I get there I'll likely love it. After all, I'm going to Disney World! And I'll be able to walk outside and see the Magic Kingdom. Plus, I've never seen the Electrical Water Pageant. Thanks for everyone's advice, it is appreciated.

You won't regret it as the GF is a beautiful resort. We've never stayed at POFQ, but you can't beat the GF for just $500 more. I'm sure you'll have a great time! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter