I became fed up and walked out of Ohana. Was I being unreasonable?

DoughR

Mouseketeer
So last night I had a 8:20 reservation for 2 at Ohana. I try checking in 10 minutes early but there were at least two people who walked up--while people were in line waiting to check in--asking for availability. The line was maybe 7groups deep by the time it started moving again. I can't really fault the cast member for this one, she was just being nice and answering questions. According to our table print-out, we checked in at 8:23. We proceeded to wait until about 8:55 to be seated. I step away to use the restroom and tell my brother to ask for a coke if the waiter/waitress comes. I come back and sit down and my brother tells me no one has come by yet. About 10 minutes later a family of 3 is seated next to us to have their drink orders taken a couple of minutes later. So I express interest in leaving and my brother agrees. I tell a cast member I'm on my way out and she gets the manager. She offered me another table and says its probably another 20 minutes out because of the fireworks so I refuse. She gave me her card and told me to contact her if I have any interest in coming back during my trip. Tonight I'll be at Seaword so I'm not sure if I want to make the effort in finding transport from Pop where we're staying and Wednesday we have reservations at BoG. Thursday we leave early morning.

So did I overract? I don't like make cast members feeling bad no matter the issue but last night overall was just an unsatisfactory day.

Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table...

I would have walked out too.

Maybe, maybe not. We weren't there, so it's hard to tell. I think before leaving, I would've left one of us at the table and the other one find a CM to tell them you had been overlooked and needed a server. That might have gotten the ball rolling for you without having to miss your meal. It could easily have been a misunderstanding between servers thinking one or the other was taking care of you.

As to the amount of time it took to be seated, that is very common for Ohana and especially around fireworks time.

No I don't think you overreacted. If you had been waiting patiently all that time and then see someone else just sit down and be served, you were totally in your rights to leave. I would have. The response from the manager was ridiculous! If after waiting all that time then have you wait another 20 minutes for more crappy service that is uncalled for. She needed to be kicking her staffs butt and do better customer service.

There is no need for such poor service. We all spend a lot of money to go and expect great service. I don't blame you a bit for leaving.

Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table... I would have walked out too.

Yeah no kidding. I don't think you overreacted at all. I would have probably been pretty hungry that late in the evening and that's a ridiculously long wait!

No overreaction. I'd have left too. Besides you didn't miss much. Only restaurant on property we'd never go back to.

I probably would have waited a little longer for drinks, as I am usually the suffer-in-silence type. However, I wouldn't have been happy with the initial 40 minute wait for the table. I think you were fine to walk out.

I had several opportunities to get 'Ohana for our upcoming trip, but, every time I started to click to confirm the reservation, I remembered all these bad reviews that I keep reading and clicked cancel instead.

Good for you. I still regret this horrific meal that I should have sent back and refused to pay for (not at Ohana, another restaurant).

1) As for overreacting, absolutely not.
2) But, being me,
. . . I would have asked for a manager
. . . I would have complained, politely, but strenuously
. . . I would have requested comp'd food or drinks
. . . I would have had the manager bring the server over for an apology
. . . THEN, I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN UP AND LEFT !

I would have VERY politely gotten up and flagged down whoever was walking by (server,whatever) and asked them to take my order,b/c we would figure a server hadn't been assigned since no one showed up...that usually gets someones attention,and service follows quickly.

My wife is normally the suffer in silence type - but I am the terse reminder of facts person.

We have received complimentary meals on more than a few occasions as a result of this. I never complain - nor do I let my emotions override. But I do point out curt un-debatable facts.

I love to argue. In my mind, you'd already wasted the time. Take a chance on a free meal - versus having to go somewhere else that might be available and pay full price there.

Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table... I would have walked out too.

Me too! You had an ADR that should have been honored within a reasonable time. Never had a wait like this even Christmas week.

Nope. I'd have walked out too.

Ohana is my favorite Disney meal, but the service there is on par with Planet Hollywood's. Rude and slow.

In July we went to 'ohana as our wedding dinner and waited well over an hour, maybe 2, after our adr time to be seated. We had a large group of 15 people, but I had assumed with an adr we would at least get in around the time we booked. We had a couple people in the party speak to management more than once, but it didn't speed anything up. Had this not been our wedding I would definitely have left. On the plus side we did get free champagne for the table and attentive service.

I think that is ridiculous- especially for the money you pay for a meal there. We found 'Ohana pretty terrible for dinner, so don't worry, you weren't missing much.

Speaking of Planet Hollywood, fabulous venue for movie lovers but the servers go to all lengths to ensure a tip (and that isn't meant in a positive way!)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

So last night I had a 8:20 reservation for 2 at Ohana. I try checking in 10 minutes early but there were at least two people who walked up--while people were in line waiting to check in--asking for availability. The line was maybe 7groups deep by the time it started moving again. I can't really fault the cast member for this one, she was just being nice and answering questions. According to our table print-out, we checked in at 8:23. We proceeded to wait until about 8:55 to be seated. I step away to use the restroom and tell my brother to ask for a coke if the waiter/waitress comes. I come back and sit down and my brother tells me no one has come by yet. About 10 minutes later a family of 3 is seated next to us to have their drink orders taken a couple of minutes later. So I express interest in leaving and my brother agrees. I tell a cast member I'm on my way out and she gets the manager. She offered me another table and says its probably another 20 minutes out because of the fireworks so I refuse. She gave me her card and told me to contact her if I have any interest in coming back during my trip. Tonight I'll be at Seaword so I'm not sure if I want to make the effort in finding transport from Pop where we're staying and Wednesday we have reservations at BoG. Thursday we leave early morning.

So did I overract? I don't like make cast members feeling bad no matter the issue but last night overall was just an unsatisfactory day.

the ADR is the first available, not seated at that time. so the wait for that was within reason. however the whole not being served and another party being seated after you but served sooner is a valid reason to walk out although I probably would have just flagged someone and pointed out that X party was seated after you and has been served while you were still waiting. That irks me no end no matter where I am and I really don't care if they are in different sections and thus have different wait staff.

No I think that is unreasonable also and would have voted with my feet! I hope they did not have the cheek to charge you the $10 fee pp or the table they do now for 'cancelled bookings'. That would have been the icing on the cake!

You're absolutely justified in leaving. However, I would have spoke up sooner incase there was confusion between host seating and servers thinking it was someone else's table. The actual wait to be seated is common for fireworks because people don't leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts