I admit- I cannot do this even though is it budget.

Ok this is gross!! :scared1: Slightly different than the food posts but....

Make Your Own Cloth
Menstrual Pads:

Reusable Tampons:

Ready to give up disposable paper tampons, but not ready to give up their convenience and to switch to cloth pads? For an inexpensive solution, here's a Frugal Mom Tip!
Buy 6 pair (or more) of 100% cotton white baby socks. Wash (and dry) three times with a natural, mild soap - rinsing well. At your next period, simply roll up one baby sock into a tight roll, and insert as you would a paper tampon. If you need more absorbency, use two baby socks rolled up.
Replace it with the next baby sock as needed. Rinse the used one out well, and store dry until washday.

Frugal Cloth Menstrual Pads:
Cloth menstrual pads too expensive to buy - but you couldn't sew one if your life depended on it?? Here's a cheap way to make your own - without sewing at all!
Simply buy the cheapest terry facecloths you can find. Red would be a great colour to buy, but if not choose a colour separate from anything you would normally use as a facecloth.
To use, simply fold in half, then half again - both long-wise. You should have a long narrow pad now. Place in the crotch of your panties, and you are all set - cloth against cloth doesn't move. For more absorbency, simply fold two cloths together.
For waterproof protection, you can cut 3" by 12" (8 cm by 30 cm) strips of a rubberized flannelette change pad, or Polar fleece, and lay it between your cloth pad and your panties.
To wash, simply rinse out, and toss in the laundry hamper. Wash together with the regular laundry, no special care needed.

Kerri

Ok this is gross!! :scared1: Slightly different than the food posts but....

Make Your Own Cloth
Menstrual Pads:

Reusable Tampons:

Ready to give up disposable paper tampons, but not ready to give up their convenience and to switch to cloth pads? For an inexpensive solution, here's a Frugal Mom Tip!
Buy 6 pair (or more) of 100% cotton white baby socks. Wash (and dry) three times with a natural, mild soap - rinsing well. At your next period, simply roll up one baby sock into a tight roll, and insert as you would a paper tampon. If you need more absorbency, use two baby socks rolled up.
Replace it with the next baby sock as needed. Rinse the used one out well, and store dry until washday.

Frugal Cloth Menstrual Pads:
Cloth menstrual pads too expensive to buy - but you couldn't sew one if your life depended on it?? Here's a cheap way to make your own - without sewing at all!
Simply buy the cheapest terry facecloths you can find. Red would be a great colour to buy, but if not choose a colour separate from anything you would normally use as a facecloth.
To use, simply fold in half, then half again - both long-wise. You should have a long narrow pad now. Place in the crotch of your panties, and you are all set - cloth against cloth doesn't move. For more absorbency, simply fold two cloths together.
For waterproof protection, you can cut 3" by 12" (8 cm by 30 cm) strips of a rubberized flannelette change pad, or Polar fleece, and lay it between your cloth pad and your panties.
To wash, simply rinse out, and toss in the laundry hamper. Wash together with the regular laundry, no special care needed.

Kerri

nope couldn't do that!!!:eek: :eek: or the diva cup:scared1:

I also can't do a lot of generics....although in our area sometimes the generics are more expensive.

We love getting meat from my IL's best tasting all around. If I could afford it at one time I would get a half cow.

Um no way would I make tampons and pads! Gross gross gross!!!!:scared:
Diva cup is just as gross to me but to each their own. Although I do wonder what do you do if your cup is full and you are in a public bathroom? I can't think about it.

hsmamato2- I understand your point. However I could not kill an animal and eat it. For quite a few years when I was younger I did not eat meat. The thought of the animal made me gag. I have mostly gotten over it but there are still some things that I can't eat. We do try to buy mostly organic meat. I agree that I do prefer knowing that the animal did not have any meds or was sick. I just could not raise an animal and eat it. It would be no different than eating the family dog to me. When I buy meat I disassociate it from an actual animal. If I did not do that I would never be able to cook any meat.

If it helps any, I can assure you that it in no way remotely even resembles a cow. Ours was wrapped in white freezer paper and just looked like a lot of small packages. :thumbsup2

This is totally true. I thought it would be weird, but you don't even realize it. It's just a few boxes of white paper things.

to me it not a big deal, I have done it many times and will problary do it more, even though I think butchering is getting about as much as just buying the meat at the store

I recently nought 1/4 cow for the first time. IT, in no way resembles the living animal sitting in my freezer. We got the rear quarter and it is made up of steaks, roasts and ground beef. The taste is so much better than stor bought, when browing the ground beef it smells like beef cooking not like grease frying, KWIM? I had the ground beef packaged in 1 and 1/2 pound packages. I think it is like 95% lean or something, it generates very little fat. and the steaks are awesome!

The cow we purchased was from an organic, grain fed farm in Lancaster County PA. This farm also does pigs-we are ordering 1/2 pig, they aren't ready yet, should be in late spring sometime. WHile talking to the farmer about the pig, he mentioned that usually you get pork(chops, roasts), bacon, sausage, but you can request any parts you want, scrapple(yuck!), stomach, feet, whatever. I think I'll stick to the other parts, thanks anyway.

I agree though, there is no way I could pick out an animal and then have it slaughtered. There was a restaurant near me that would let you pick out the trout you wanted and they would bring it tableside to cook it, I couldn't do that either.

The cow we purchased was from an organic, grain fed farm in Lancaster County PA.

Denise - which farm? I live in chester county, and was looking around for a good place to purchase beef, but I had no one to ask if the place was any good...

Thanks!

Kudos to hsmamato2 !!! I loved that book, also "Omnivore's Dilemma". Many of the posts on this thread were irritating to me...the princess, I'm too sensitive to live thing. If you're going to eat something acknowledge that it had a life and treat it w/ respect. If you can't do that than don't eat it.

I'm sure there is a logical connection between buying half an animal packaged and ready for the freezer and various feminine hygeine methods. For the life of me though I can't figure it out...

I'm sure there is a logical connection between buying half an animal packaged and ready for the freezer and various feminine hygeine methods. For the life of me though I can't figure it out...

I can see why that'd confuse you - the main question was "what can you not do even though it's budget?" :)

Many of the posts on this thread were irritating to me...the princess, I'm too sensitive to live thing. If you're going to eat something acknowledge that it had a life and treat it w/ respect. If you can't do that than don't eat it.

Not that I'd admit to being irritated by ANY posts I read here on the disboards...;) :rotfl2: :rotfl: - I guess we are in the minority here- I still stand firm,if we raised the animals,I'd do it too. I abhor killing just for killing,but try reading a few books on discounted supermarket meats/eggs,how they're produced,and the industry that creates these "easy" foods for us all....then come back to this thread....you may think differently...
I know someone who won't buy farm eggs,they have to be from a supermarket carton....it's essentially the same thing- farm eggs can't be compared with the "cheap/easy" eggs in a store.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter