Hurricane Watchers--Post Here!

BadgerGirl84

I used to have a tag...
Anyone else checking the hurricane forecast several times a day like me? I know there is a thread active right now about hurricanes, but it's more about what happens in Disney IF there is a hurricane. This thread is just for other uber-planners and worry-warts like me who want to know ahead of time if they will be rained out for a day or possibly deal with a flight delay.

I am going to be at WDW Sept 1-8 and I have my eye on those storms churning in the Atlantic.

I went for the same week last year and did the same thing for the two weeks before our trip!

Here is the best website: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

On the site I like to look at the 5 day forecast cone: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/144508.shtml?5day#contents

And also the discussion which is updated by the forecasters 3x a day: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/211450.shtml?

(All the links were for TD 9...so they won't work later on I don't think.)

It's too far out to know what to expect for my trip...but I would be on pins and needles if I were visiting WDW late in the weekend. Not that I would be afraid of being in danger...just would not be fun to have it be pouring all day long if a mild hurricane is passing over.

We are flying out on Friday! I'm hoping for the best. It's so hard with these storms to actually predict what will happen. I was there for Gordon in 1994 and it really only made for 1 pretty yucky day. I'm trying not to stress too much about it. A rainy day at Disney is still better than no day at Disney! :)

Not overly concerned about being there during storm but more concerned actually being delayed getting into Orlando because of it because of airline delays. We leave Saturday (25th) morning so I hope we get in just a bit ahead of it, we always go this time of year and we have had to ride out the weather before..less people in the parks means we can do more on our short 6 day trip, we usually do 10 days so we are squeezing in a lot in a shorter time frame this year.

We fly to WDW on Sunday - looks likle a predicted hurricane over Cuba at the time. :scared:

Not overly concerned about being there during storm but more concerned actually being delayed getting into Orlando because of it because of airline delays. We leave Saturday (25th) morning so I hope we get in just a bit ahead of it, we always go this time of year and we have had to ride out the weather before..less people in the parks means we can do more on our short 6 day trip, we usually do 10 days so we are squeezing in a lot in a shorter time frame this year.

Yes, 100% agree with what you said. I can deal with the weather once we get there...I just want to GET THERE!

Nah, I'm not going to be checking various weather sites 24/7 before we leave on Sunday.

I've gotten everything taken care of that I CAN control (ordered water delivered to the resort, got my misc. box mailed down, made all my ADRs, etc.) Our plans are pretty low-key for this trip, so I just can't get all worked up about the weather. If we're delayed getting into Orlando, so be it. If we have a stay a day extra at the end of our trip due to bad weather, okay.

Sure, on Friday, I'll probably check it out and see what the most up-to-date forecasts say, and if there is a hurricane right offshore poised to hit Disney Word, well then that's a different story.

We are also going to be there from the 1st to the 8th! I'm worried about the weather but only because we are staying at FORT in our camper...there for I will have to drive thur the mess too with a 26 ft "wind catcher" hooked to the truck

Thanks for the links I will now add this to my daily check list.

According to weather underground, IF the storm hits the US, it is projected to hit anywhere from New England to Texas. Meaning they don't have any idea.

as long as we GET to WDW...I am good. We leave Thursday so not too concerned about it affecting our flight down...

And...oh well if we get stranded there a few extra days!

Hello!!! I hope your drive down works out!

Looks like we are all-clear for TD9 (soon to be Hurricane Isaac) but I have my eye on that other storm syster closer to Africa.

I saw that storm over there....I'll keep my eye on it too. The drive should be good...little worried about keeping the kids entertained for 2 days there and back but it should all work out!!!

Have a great trip too!!

Outside of the 5 day cone it's anybodies game. Predictive models are still largely in agreement that it's heading Florida way but so many things factor into that that you just can't know. It's why they won't predict past 5 days. Too many variables.
There's Hurricane Hunter aircraft flying into it right now, so expect updates in the next few hours.
THIS..http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201209.html
is an excellent blog that updates regularly and is a good source of information.

But be assured.. it's still anybodies storm at this point. It's just a wait and watch scenario.

I leave Friday (16 hour drive) to get there Saturday! I have been tracking it. I don't mind rain, but I like to KNOW what to expect, well get a general idea since it is SO far out. Plus, my husband loves to monitor various weather things. We are just hoping for the best.

We are heading down in 9 days, hope to avoid heavy all day rain for our touring. Only one day in parks, hopping to at least 3. We will just have to watch the weather to avoid the storms. Hoping to spend some time at SAB in the sun:beach:on our non park days.

We fly to WDW on Sunday - looks likle a predicted hurricane over Cuba at the time. :scared:

Same here! Last year our flights got cancelled due to Hurricane Irene but got lucky and nabbed a flight for the day before. I certainly am no expert but from the looks of it, maybe some rain and winds on Tuesday in Florida?

Last year, with Irene looming, we moved our flight home up a day to avoid the storm. The NYC airports then closed. Once that happened, the earliest flight to NYC was 4 days later. We ended up getting a flight to Pittsburgh 2 days later & drove home from there. My kids are hoping to get stuck at WDW again this year as we fly home the day before school starts.

The only thing I can add is to just keep an eye on it. Even though they've gotten better at predicting where and when these storms will hit, they (the storms) can always change their minds. Hurricane Charley was one of those.

I'm watching since we're leaving on Friday. I'm not worried, more fascinated than anything. And yes, I can get fixated watching the developments. :)

We fly out one week from today, and from what I have read (if it is true or not) the storm is suppose to either hit on Monday or Tuesday of next week. I am not really worried too much about it because the storm could go a different course and not go anywhere near FL and head back into the Atlantic. The only thing I am a little concerned with is that if our flight will get delayed or cancelled. I will be watching it but probably not until we are a bit closer to our departure date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter