Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

We are currently at the dolphin and supposed to check in at movies tomorrow now I'm afraid they won't have room for us. I can't get through on the phone to anyone and now I can't sleep.
You need to check-in at Movies by 3 PM tomorrow or remain at the Dolphin. You might want to take an Uber / Lyft over in the morning since the Parks will be closed to make sure that they have a room for you before 3 PM.

Is there a reason that you might not have considered staying at the Dolphin as it has everything under one roof?

For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, all Guests including our Disney Vacation Club Members must check in to our resorts on Sept. 28, by 3 p.m. Guests may reschedule their trip or cancel their stay with us; any customary cancellation fees will be waived. Check in will not be accepted on Thurs Sept 29.
Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/

Dave

Hoping that everyone stays safe during Hurricane Ian. My CM daughter reported that resort Ride Out Crews were activated late yesterday. They are to report in early this morning and remain on duty throughout the event. For those of you riding out the storm at the resorts, you should begin seeing an influx of CM's who will be assisting in a myriad of ways. Ride Out Crew duty was optional sign-up, so kudos to the CM's who signed up to assist.

A poste
CM’s at front desk at BLT are telling evacuees that they cannot bring their dogs unless they are service dogs.
I always thought it was a law that during a hurricane pets *are* allowed at hotels. Anyone have any other experience with this?
DeSantis, last night press conference, said hotels are not required to take pets. He encourages them to take them but not required

It has increased to a cat 4 at 140 mph winds. Additional strengthening is expected.
I hate to say it, but if the track holds, the parks will probably be closed for more than just a couple of days.
Let's hope for the best.
Ian is up to 155mph. (Cat 5 is 157mph). Either way, it's a very strong storm.

We were scheduled to arrive at BWV Thursday evening. I switched our flights to Tuesday, now landing at MCO at 11:30 PM. We’re staying at an airport hotel Tuesday night, then will hopefully be able to Uber to Swan where we’ll stay Wednesday night. We’ll see what happens Thursday if we can get from Swan to BWV!! I am very used to hurricanes and know that plans can change very quickly, I just hope it all pans out!
Landed safely last night (actually one of the the smoothest flights I’ve ever been on!) and are due to check in to the Swan today but now we can’t check in to the Boardwalk tomorrow. We’re going to Uber to the Boardwalk at 8 AM and see if they have anything tonight and if not, hopefully the Swan can let us stay Thursday night. If not I’m not sure what’s going to happen.

Hoping that everyone stays safe during Hurricane Ian. My CM daughter reported that resort Ride Out Crews were activated late yesterday. They are to report in early this morning and remain on duty throughout the event. For those of you riding out the storm at the resorts, you should begin seeing an influx of CM's who will be assisting in a myriad of ways. Ride Out Crew duty was optional sign-up, so kudos to the CM's who signed up to assist.
Good information. Thanks.

Landed safely last night (actually one of the the smoothest flights I’ve ever been on!) and are due to check in to the Swan today but now we can’t check in to the Boardwalk tomorrow. We’re going to Uber to the Boardwalk at 8 AM and see if they have anything tonight and if not, hopefully the Swan can let us stay Thursday night. If not I’m not sure what’s going to happen.
Good luck to you. Stay safe!

was really hoping this wasn’t going to happen along with everyone else- we just got back Friday and my daughter and her husband just arrived this morning for their first anniversary trip. I’m sad for them although I’m sure others living there are far more worried. They are staying at the swan. We have been through a couple hurricanes at Disney unfortunately and they handle it great. Unsure about swan as they are not Disney owned. Any experience from anyone from past storms that were there?
The buildings are solid. The lights blinked once. The staff was amazing, staying and working extra long hours to make meals in little to go boxes, and the cleanup was aided by guests who had pent up energy since the parks were closed. (Clearing wheelchair paths of light debris and such)
Edit: Oops! That was at Port Orleans Riverside, not The Swan

It has increased to a cat 4 at 140 mph winds. Additional strengthening is expected.
I hate to say it, but if the track holds, the parks will probably be closed for more than just a couple of days.
Let's hope for the best.
Disney should get at least one park open in a day or two. It might take more then a couple of days to get all parks open.

Based on Hurricane Charley

I don't really like preachy advice posts like this, but just wanted to put what's been in my head out there:

- I see "Disney will take care of you" said a lot... which is generally true. But I think a level of self responsibility is also needed in these situations. I'd make sure you have what you and your family/traveling companions need for a few days 'stuck' in your room and/or hotel... to be supplemented with whatever Disney may offer. If at all possible, I wouldn't want to 100% rely on Disney for food/necessities/entertainment as at some point that's just too high a bar for them to achieve property wide during what is effectively an emergency situation/staffing. Longer duration storms tend to bring moments where you have to rely on yourself for a period of time, not others. You have a few hours left today to prep as able.

- The COVID closure saw a lot of CMs retire, move on, reassigned, etc - and likely with it a lot of institutional facilities knowledge about past weather events. Of course they have 50+ years of weather procedures in place and in general guests during past weather events report positive experiences - but maybe just a small reminder that there are thousands of new CMs that are implementing a lot of these procedures from front to back of house - many likely going through their first storm too. Storms can sometimes bring out the good in people so hopefully a little grace and compassion will surround both cast and guests over the next few days as we ride it out together.

Stay safe everyone. :grouphug:

Finally got confirmation that out BC stay is being extended 2 nights. There was a discount of about 25% off/ not huge but they didn’t have to do anything. CM’s say restaurants will remain open and they plan on bringing in characters and have activities in the lobby. I’m hoping against hope it will all blow through by early Thursday and we can drop the second night and move on to Universal. Universal has been good in allowing us to cancel days as we need to as well.
We’re in a BCV with check out today and still haven’t received any email. Is that how they communicated with you? I got a push notification on MDE last night while we were at the party that said something about us receiving an email with changes to our stay, but nothing so far. We went to the front desk twice yesterday to check about extending, but they weren’t offering at the time. We’re afraid that if we leave our room, our MBs won’t work after 11. We did get the big bag of toiletries and stuff that was left in our room late last night, so maybe they’re expecting us to stay. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Everything you need to know is on the app or the website. They are swamped just trying relocate guests and prepare so your best bet is to check the app for information.

I have everything I need to know. I was saying I thought it was odd there is no communication from the hotel to guests about when to stay in your room, to bring patio furniture in etc. Not a word, not a memo under the door, not a sign. Some people aren’t even aware parks are closed this morning.

The COVID closure saw a lot of CMs retire, move on, reassigned, etc - and likely with it a lot of institutional facilities knowledge about past weather events. Of course they have 50+ years of weather procedures in place and in general guests during past weather events report positive experiences - but maybe just a small reminder that there are thousands of new CMs that are implementing a lot of these procedures from front to back of house - many likely going through their first storm too. Storms can sometimes bring out the good in people so hopefully a little grace and compassion will surround both cast and guests over the next few days as we ride it out together.

I hadn't even thought about that part, this is really the first true shakedown of hurricane protocol post COVID.

A thought came to me this morning, if anyone at disney didn't get out to get water or flashlights. If you have any zip lock bags, fill them up with tap water, yes I know it taste awful, but it is water. If you have any glow sticks with you , use them to add a bit of light to the room. This may be a old hint. But sometimes in crisis, our brains don't work.

A poste
DeSantis, last night press conference, said hotels are not required to take pets. He encourages them to take them but not required
So people with pets would have to stay at a shelter that allows pets? I think there are some but am not certain. I hope there is an option.

As others have reported, check-ins at WDW resorts will cease today and nobody will be allowed to check in tomorrow at all. I also received a notification that anybody checking in to a WDW resort on Friday should not arrive before 3pm. And just chatted with a CM who said that Friday arrivals should be prepared to have check-ins completely suspended as well OR possibly walked to other resorts depending on how many are still sheltering/waiting to get out.

We’re in a BCV with check out today and still haven’t received any email. Is that how they communicated with you? I got a push notification on MDE last night while we were at the party that said something about us receiving an email with changes to our stay, but nothing so far. We went to the front desk twice yesterday to check about extending, but they weren’t offering at the time. We’re afraid that if we leave our room, our MBs won’t work after 11. We did get the big bag of toiletries and stuff that was left in our room late last night, so maybe they’re expecting us to stay. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I went to the desk last night. Since we did have the option to move to universal this morning I didn’t want to take any risk of losing a sure thing reservation. I was never told I’d be notified by phone, but if you were, I wouldn’t be too concerned. They aren’t going to put you out on the street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter